• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Kinect only works/functions when you're standing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
4uf8e1.jpg

Razor210

richisawesome said:
But then how would natal know what your hand is? It needs to see the skeltal structure of your whole body AFAIK.
*completely speaking in non-technical terms*

Couldn't it be all "oh, a face, oh, a hand, well, the hand is connected to some large thing under face, lets see what the hand is doing"?

distrbnce

Banned
Medalion said:
You do know that Kinect is a peripheral addition to the Xbox 360 system, which still supports a controller for watching movies.

Are you conceding that that key feature should now be considered irrelevant?

Alx

GDGF said:
How the fuck did something with such an obvious design flaw even get through R&D?

*sigh*

1. it is not a design flaw. It would have been one if they never intended for it to work with people sitting, which is obviously not the case.
2. it's precisely because it's R&D that sometimes, it takes longer to have reliable results.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Medalion said:
Fair enough. I am not happy with Kinect either and I own a 360, but I wanted to show the add-on is not ENTIRELY a clusterfuck.

I don't want to believe that, either :) I own a Xbox, too, and I really like the voice control stuff. So no trolling intended from my side.

TheOddOne said:
This has happend so much this week, its really baffeling.

Well, I click on some of the users and the posts mirror the LULZ KINECT line of mentality. Some of them have been members since I joined and have like 2000+ posts. Guess that's one way to do it.

Maybe if I kicked up my spamming game I'd be a member by now!

TAS said:
MS really dropped the ball with Kinect. Also, what about furniture? Does MS expect everyone's living/gaming room to be a completely clear and open space? It just isn't practical or realistic.

A lot of living room setups have a couch right in front of the tv as well. I'm wondering how it will respond to people sitting down behind the person playing a party game. It would be ridiculous to also expect all furniture to be cleared so it doesn't mistake someone shifting positions behind you as part of your movement.

Edit: Good news the sitting down thing is false though. Myth busted!

trejo

Never in my life have I wished for something to fail spectacularly as much as I do with this Kinect shit. My god.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
kaysee said:
aaron greenberg just debunked it on twitter

"@hasanahmad @sixokay Yes you can sit or stand with Kinect, depends on the game or experience."

sorry if posted.

XOR?!

Haunted

Would defeat the whole purpose of voice navigation and controller free menu navigation, so I'm calling bs for now.

kaysee said:
aaron greenberg just debunked it on twitter

sorry if posted.

I'm usually not one to see shit in the pool, but that doesn't sound debunked to me. Sounds like the ability to support sitting has to be accounted for (by programming perhaps?)

Either way, until it's confirmed one way or the other I'll get off my soapbox.

Medalion

Banned
Kinect allows controllerless control over the 360...but ya gotta stand, otherwise just use a fucking remote to sitdown, fat-ass. :)

Nothing in life is perfect. That is for the next revision...Kinect 2...Kinect-2-Seat :lol

i can see it picking out arms even when sat down for things like UI navigation, which is all it needs to track there... but pickout out a body from a soft couch which is going to move as you move around on it, well yeah, that's going to be hard.

but for ui stuff, it *shouldn't* be an issue.

i stress shouldn't.

does that mean you can play driving games with it though? not necessarily.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
Would defeat the whole purpose of voice navigation and controller free menu navigation, so I'm calling bs for now.
It could be a safe to prevent rewinding a movie when you scratch your nose.

Imm0rt4l

Medalion said:
This is partially why gamers get a bad rep...you're seen as lazy fat asses sitting down all the time grasping your controllers. Motion controls like these are for the average user who may be more casual and want to actually stand up and move around to play a game.
not sure if serious....

Mikey Jr.

WOW if this is true.

Sitting down not working will be a massive disaster. In their promo videos, ti showed a family playing some buzz type game and sitting down. Also, the girl was driving a car sitting down. Hmmm.

I know its promo, but I wonder if MS thinks its a problem and is trying to fix it, or they know about it, but feel its not a problem?

Vizion28

Banned
Aaron Greenberg on Natal:

"But because we expect millions and millions of these things to be sold this Christmas, over time developers will know millions of customers have these sensors so they can add functionality to their games."

I'll hold you to your word.

lostinblue said:
PS2's, GC's and PS3's do it just fine too. Oh, and Xbox 1.

regular PC DVD drives, regular laptop pc drives... do it just fine, and hell; people have managed to repair their X360's who did that by polishing up some darned part... Microsoft could and should have solved this by now.

And the issue is not just "moving it" most consoles take a fall somewhere along their lives while playing a game, either pushed by the cables, a dog passing by... whatever. and when that happens not only do you want your console to endure it, you also want your darn game to do so.

This, a million times this. I already lost a game to this. Luckily it was one of the crappy games that came with the 360 (maybe Sega Tennis) so I didn't care that much, but I was not pleased.
On Kinect, total deal breaker. I wasn't very excited about it to begin with, but now I simply can't get it, no matter what it offers. There's physically no space for me to stand in front of the TV comfortably as I live in a small one bedroom apartment and do my gaming in bed.

Kusagari

Greenberg didn't debunk shit. He says you can sit or stand but he doesn't say if you can sit on anything that isn't the floor.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm usually not one to see shit in the pool, but that doesn't sound debunked to me. Sounds like the ability to support sitting has to be accounted for (by programming perhaps?)

Either way, until it's confirmed one way or the other I'll get off my soapbox.

The system and libraries either support it or don't...obviously though some experiences can't be engaged with sitting down.

I presume/hope he's just talking about that - physical limitations on what can be done sitting down - not contrived limitations because of tracking problems.

It would be nice if he made that VERY clear though with no room for various interpretations :p

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
This man should get an extra bonus for convincing Sony not to go with a 3D camera since he had been researching them over a decade.... looks like a genius now...

54-richard-marks-ETNItguq.jpg

lockload

Medalion said:
Kinect allows controllerless control over the 360...but ya gotta stand, otherwise just use a fucking remote to sitdown, fat-ass. :)

Nothing in life is perfect. That is for the next revision...Kinect 2...Kinect-2-Seat :lol

Get up to speed with the thread before forcing us to endure your crap jokes

I bet it was capable of detecting your movements while sitting down before the removal of the chip (by then it was too late for MS to delay/cancel/redesign the product)

No6

trejo said:
Never in my life have I wished for something to fail spectacularly as much as I do with this Kinect shit. My god.
So given the choice between homosexuals being allowed to marry whom they choose and kinect failing, you'd pick kinect failing?

Alx

JacksUsername said:
I'm wondering how it will respond to people sitting down behind the person playing a party game.

If they're sitting behind, it's not a big problem : since the camera measures distances, it can use it to decide who is the main player.

gofreak said:
The system and libraries either support it or don't...obviously though some experiences can't be engaged with sitting down.

I presume/hope he's just talking about that - physical limitations on what can be done sitting down - not contrived limitations because of tracking problems.

It would be nice if he made that VERY clear though with no room for various interpretations :p

His fault for using Twitter.

cgcg said:
Yea according to that guy the X360 has a dedicated scaler chip.
If it has a scaling function that works across every single title, which it does, why does it matter if there's a discrete chip to do the job or not?

PistolGrip said:
This man should get an extra bonus for convincing Sony not to go with a 3D camera since he had been researching them over a decade.... looks like a genius now...

54-richard-marks-ETNItguq.jpg

There's no downside to using a 3d camera in conjunction with something else, he showed off some cool stuff with a 3d camera.

Pug

Does anyone actually read the posts in this thread, or are they all trying make themselves look stupid on purpose, when this has already been debunked.

noah111

Still Alive
But they showed in multiple videos a family sitting down and navigating the Zune movie menu with his hand, so... if true, small people not supported, handicapped people not supported, possibly black people as well. The fuck. But wait, this is the future of gaming!!

Alx

Nuclear Muffin said:
I bet it was capable of detecting your movements while sitting down before the removal of the chip (by then it was too late for MS to delay/cancel/redesign the product)

Unless the "magical chip" was more powerful than a 360 CPU (+GPU), removing it should have increased the number of things it can do, not diminished.

cgcg

MightyHedgehog said:
If it has a scaling function that works across every single title, which it does, why does it matter if there's a discrete chip to do the job or not?

A lie is a lie. There is no chip called ana or whatever. If you want to believe him go ahead. No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom