• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Maisie Williams 'Looking Like Yes' For The Last Of Us Movie"

Fliesen

Joel: Josh Brolin or Hugh Jackman.
Ellie: Mackenzie Foy from Interstellar.

maOh6dm.jpg

not a bad choice.

the fuck?

what don't you understand? you find her clasically pretty? or you don't see how i think that the "girl that at first sight looks like a burden in need of protection" should look like a vulnerable cute little girl? - because that's just how i think it should be cast.

Marcel

I dunno, I felt like TLoU did its thing better than the Road movie did its thing but alas, I am but a single person. There was just more emotional weight behind everything in TLoU compared to the Road movie and I think it owes that to the 2 characters being so damn good.

I get that the characters and the interactions are the star of TLoU, don't get me wrong. Some of the moments are just hokey for me personally. Like they're trying to pull my heart strings in a cynical way in between setpieces where Joel beats people to death with a brick while Ellie is invisible.

Afrodium

Banned
you see, it's not about looking LIKE Ellie, it's looking like a precious vulnerable flower that needs protection. (regardless of that not being the case, as the story progresses, but you think TLOU would have the same impact if Ellie had looked like this:

Maisie Williams, sadly, isn't a flower. She's fierce, she's talented. But she doesn't fit the role of Ellie because she's not clasically pretty.

You're only saying that because her most notable role is as a badass little girl. A bunch of people here seem to be under the impression that Ellie will now just be Arya Stark because Maisie Williams is playing her.

Amir0x

Banned
you see, it's not about looking LIKE Ellie, it's looking like a precious vulnerable flower that needs protection. (regardless of that not being the case, as the story progresses, but you think TLOU would have the same impact if Ellie had looked like this:

Maisie Williams, sadly, isn't a flower. She's fierce, she's talented. But she doesn't fit the role of Ellie because she's not clasically pretty.

um i don't know what 'looking like a precious vulnerable flower that needs protection' means, because I did not even remotely think Ellie looked that way and neither does Maisie and again acting is infinitely more important. Even the strongest looking of actresses can appear vulnerable and - god this is starting to sound sexist - "needing protection" if they know how to act. The "classically pretty" comment is actually close to legit offensive.

(also guys Ellie is a strong character who
survives on her own in the middle of the winter bringing Joel back to health; and she survived before Joel. She is not a vulnerable flower needing protection, Joel treats her that way due to his experience with his daughter.
man)

Soooo nope

braves01

Banned
Proper casting would be

Joel: Will Smith (already has experience in TLoU-type zombie movies)

Ellie: Willow Smith (rebel, see "I whip my hair back and forth")

Marcel

You're only saying that because her most notable role is as a badass little girl. A bunch of people here seem to be under the impression that Ellie will now just be Arya Stark because Maisie Williams is playing her.

Yep. They're typecasting a competent actor and assuming she has no range based on ONE role. It's simply bullshit.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Actually, that was confirmed as fanart, created by someone who worked on the game's art.

I know but that doesn't change the fact that it could be from the movie, they just don't want to reveal it yet.

No one knows anything about the movie yet so it's all just speculation for now.

Drencrom

Have you seen Prisoners? Jackman is just as brutal as Brolin in OldBoy.

Jackman would be great, but I'd personally take Josh Brolin over him anyday. He's just 'rawer' overall than Jackman and he can definitely pull off a character like Joel without it feeling forced.

see my edited post: Yes, Ellie is fierce, but she still looks like a weak little girl.

That's ultimately subjective and it really has no bearing for the game and it's story. Ellie is just a young teenager when it comes to her looks.

I heard a rumor back at Comic Con when the movie was announced that they might talk to Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead, but I doubt that was ever true.

Philippo

I think it would be great, Arya has a rebel-ish attitude like Ellie, so she's already got experience in that.

Get Josh Brolin or Hugh Jackman for Joel and we're golden.

Marcel

I know but that doesn't change the fact that it could be from the movie, they just don't want to reveal it yet.

Speculation is nice because you can say any old nonsense you want and then damage control it by saying, "Well it COULD be". Have you considered a career in Ain't It Cool News or fansites?

Jobbs

Banned
Not yet, but I plan to. I was more thinking of Brolin from No Country anyways, he has all the same quirks and mannerisms of Joel.

Josh Brolin always seemed like a natural fit for Joel, to me, because of No Country for Old Men. If you watch that movie -- well, that's Joel.

Drencrom

Not yet, but I plan to. I was more thinking of Brolin from No Country anyways, he has all the same quirks and mannerisms of Joel.

Yeah, rewatching No Conutry For Old Men last year really made me think that he would be a great Joel. The perfect cast imo.

what don't you understand? you find her clasically pretty? or you don't see how i think that the "girl that at first sight looks like a burden in need of protection" should look like a vulnerable cute little girl? - because that's just how i think it should be cast.

I saw this young girl in the post apocalyptic world and at first sight I could tell she was ugly enough to fend for herself.

Fliesen

that's the exact opposite of what i'm saying.

i am saying that Maisie williams does not have the Cuteness needed to evoke protective paternal instincts of the mostly grown-up moviegoers.
If you want the audience to be emotionally involved, you'll have to cast an actress that has the respective facial features.

"Konrad Lorenz argued in 1949 that infantile features triggered nurturing responses in adults and that this was an evolutionary adaptation which helped ensure that adults cared for their children, ultimately securing the survival of the species. Some later scientific studies have provided further evidence for Lorenz's theory."
Caregiving correlates to cuteness
A study by Karraker (1990) suggested that "an adult's beliefs about the personality and expected behavior of an infant can influence the adult's interaction with the infant"

i don't think Maisie Williams posesses said cuteness. I'm not saying she's ugly, i'm just saying she doesn't have a "cute" very "child-like" face.
Do you think they unintentionally designed Ellie the way she's portrayed in the game? She's textbook cuteness.

If someone thinks Maisie Williams offers this "cuteness", that's fine, she doesn't to me, and i don't think there's anything we can do to convince one another.

I hope i got my point across.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Speculation is nice because you can say any old nonsense you want and then damage control it by saying, "Well it COULD be". Have you considered a career in Ain't It Cool News?

I always said it could be since i don't know it. Sadly i can't see into the future and neither can you.

Edit: Ah it's that Marcel guy, i shouldn't even reply to you.

zma1013

I get that the characters and the interactions are the star of TLoU, don't get me wrong. Some of the moments are just hokey for me personally. Like they're trying to pull my heart strings in a cynical way in between setpieces where Joel beats people to death with a brick while Ellie is invisible.

I think they address Joel's brutality in the game very directly and you're supposed to feel conflicted about him, you're suppose to wonder if you think what he's done is okay or not. As for Ellie shenanigans, an unfortunate immersion breaker that was a sacrifice for the gameplay that I guess they couldn't figure out any other way to fix. That of course, wouldn't be an issue in a movie though.

Amir0x

Banned

i am saying that Maisie williams does not have the Cuteness needed to evoke protective paternal instincts of the mostly grown-up moviegoers.
If you want the audience to be emotionally involved, you'll have to cast an actress that has the respective facial features.

jesus. these audiences members need to grow the fuck up if they really are basing that on "cute factor"

paternal instincts of "protection" do not only kick in for cute kids christ

seriously your entire argument is beyond bizarre

StuBurns

Banned
Ellie's a kid, she doesn't have to be attractive. It's not a Bond film.

EDIT: Oh, your point was even worse than that, wow.

Fliesen

Ellie's a kid, she doesn't have to be attractive. It's not a Bond film.

see my post. Classically "pretty" was the wrong way to put it. "classically cute" i should have said, and i stick with that.

EDIT: Oh, your point was even worse than that, wow.
that's not nice. Now I won't have any protective instincts towards you when the apocalypse comes, you know that, right?

Marcel

I always said it could be since i don't know it. Sadly i can't see into the future and neither can you.

Edit: Ah it's that Marcel guy, i shouldn't even reply to you.

You're free to use your ignore button instead of this passive-aggressive personal commentary no one gives a shit about.

I think they address Joel's brutality in the game very directly and you're supposed to feel conflicted about him, you're suppose to wonder if you think what he's done is okay or not. As for Ellie shenanigans, an unfortunate immersion breaker that was a sacrifice for the gameplay that I guess they couldn't figure out any other way to fix. That of course, wouldn't be an issue in a movie though.

I understand what they went for. I simply didn't think it was the earth-shattering narrative many others thought. It's a fine game, just not the second coming.

There are a few great moments in the TLOU that use interactivity, but they are drowned out by the far more frequent pointlessly interactive bits.

Take all the best parts of TLOU (the story, the characters, the writing) and turn it into the miniseries it deserves.

So the best parts of TLOU are the parts where you don't actually play it?

Sesha

No interest in The Last Walrus the game, but if Maisie is in this, then I might watch it. Doubly so if Josh Brolin, Viggo Mortensen or Huge Jackedman is cast as Joel.

Jobbs

Banned
jesus. these audiences members need to grow the fuck up if they really are basing that on "cute factor"

paternal instincts of "protection" do not only kick in for cute kids christ

seriously your entire argument is beyond bizarre

it's a hard topic to broach because I don't like dissecting or criticizing the appearance of real people -- I'm not comfortable with it.

But, suffice it to say, I do, from a certain point of view, understand where he's coming from. If you look at Ellie's design, it's as if she was developed in a lab by our best scientists to have the most archetypal "cute" babyface possible.

I won't agree that you must have a character look this way in order to fit the role or be an empathetic character. I am not saying that at all. And I'm not comfortable dissecting or criticizing the appearance of real people. But, suffice it to say, Ellie's in game model was designed quite deliberately to be "maximum cute", for lack of better words.

prag16

Banned
Wtf at all the "lol no" type posts in this topic.

How the hell do you all know she'd do a bad job portraying Ellie?

EDIT:

And yeah, literally SECONDS before I made this post... -_-

EDIT2: Oh my... -_-

Maisie williams is a great young actress and I'm sure she's a great person, but she doesn't invoke any "paternal protection instincts" in me, because she's ... uhm ...
not a particularly pretty / cute girl.

i do believe the fact that Ellie is clasically "cute" and makes her a lot more "protectable".

Maisie williams is a great young actress and I'm sure she's a great person, but she doesn't invoke any "paternal protection instincts" in me, because she's ... uhm ...
not a particularly pretty / cute girl.

i do believe the fact that Ellie is clasically "cute" and makes her a lot more "protectable".

She doesn't have to look like Ellie. But big puppydog eyes would sure help to pull the strings - like AnnaSophia Robb in Race to Witch mountain; or Natalie Portman in Leon.

holy shit lol

zma1013

The difficult part would be convincing Josh Brolin or Hugh Jackman to do a videogame movie because of the deserving bad reputation videogame movies have had.

Marcel

Probably because it took big fat dump on Beyond two souls and was better in every aspect lol

I don't see how a limited interaction and mostly laughable Quantic Dream adventure game and a self-serious third-person shooter are comparable.

PuMa

Wtf at all the "lol no" type posts in this topic.

How the hell do you all know she'd do a bad job portraying Ellie?

EDIT:

And yeah, literally SECONDS before I made this post... -_-

EDIT2: Oh my... -_-

Yeah, this thread is a pile of garbage, unfortunately.

Briarios

i don't think Maisie Williams posesses said cuteness. I'm not saying she's ugly, i'm just saying she doesn't have a "cute" very "child-like" face.
Do you think they unintentionally designed Ellie the way she's portrayed in the game? She's textbook cuteness.

If someone thinks Maisie Williams offers this "cuteness", that's fine, she doesn't to me, and i don't think there's anything we can do to convince one another.

I hope i got my point across.

They designed Ellie for the role by sitting around and going, "Hey, you know who would be great for this part? Ellen Page!"

I'd also like to a citation for the textbook you're getting your definition of cuteness from.

Top Bottom