• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - NBA 2K18 graphics comparison: Nintendo Switch vs. PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One S

So lacking some dof, SSS(unless I'm mistaking SSS for something else, the skin looks worse on Switch), higher quality clothing textures, and 60fps. Not too bad for a portable.

There's an embargo on impressions until the 20th. Framerate is one of the more important points.
The 20th isn't long to wait even if you have money for a pre order burning a hole in your pocket.

This port seems about what I expected the hardware to be capable of. Very happy to see a third party get so much from the system.

Kaleinc

Banned
Excellent deduction there Sherlock EXCELLENT now for the finishing blow, why should we care? (Although with my previous point I was dramaticizing a bit as the switch is closer to 1/3 the power and you make the incorrect assumption that graphics scale linearly but let's ignore that for now.)
I was dramaticizing a bit
Our dear Watson is a drama queen.
why should we care?
Yes, why should we, yet here you are with drive by s. posts.
the switch is closer to 1/3 the power and you make the incorrect assumption that graphics scale linearly but let's ignore that for now
half as powerful as x1
visuals which are more than 2 times worse
Our dear Watson also had this 'why should we care?' idea about math in elementary school.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Switch version looks absolutely stellar. I will probably get the PS4 version at first, but the switch version before Christmas.

Ahasverus

My hot take here is :

- The Switch version looks fantastic for what it is. Our last portable console was the 3DS. This is like a jump of 3 Generations.

- The PS4 version doesn't look that good either, with very questionable lighting and animations. It should look far better than it does.

Got this on the Switch today. Longtime 2K player, so some thoughts:

Graphics in-game look ridiculously good. The outside parts and story elements show a lot of roughness however.
I thought 30fps wouldn't be a huge problem but it really is. It feels like there's a huge amount of input lag, even on the menus. Makes it very hard to enjoy.
The cutscenes in handheld mode are almost slideshow level. They actually move in slow motion so the audio goes out of sync. I had more than one cutscene play out the audio part and then the animations still haven't caught up 10 seconds later. This is easily the shoddiest part of the port and is really fucking bad. If that can't be patched, I'll be extremely disappointed in 2K.
Overall framerate is relatively solid in gameplay but it's some of the least smooth 30fps I've ever seen.
There's a few things in it that make me feel that although it's impressive, some corners were cut in lazy ways.e.g. Kyrie's beard doesn't appear in close-up but you can still see the mesh outline of where it should be.
My2K also goes offline instantly in sleep mode.

Overall I'd give the port a B-.

synce

Isn't it running at half the resolution too? So essentially the game has to run 4 times slower. Don't think anyone's going to be porting any games that run at 30fps on modern consoles, at least without severe graphical cutbacks

Dremorak

Banned
Hot damn thats impressive. Seeing 30fps next to 60fps makes it pretty jarring, but I'm sure after a while 30fps would be totally fine

ShdwDrake

Banned
People saying you would trade 60 FPS for 30FPS are crazy. That being said. I would definately trade 60 FPS for the portabilty. I want every game on the switch tho. God I wish warframe was on the switch.

bumpkin

The Switch version looks absolutely fantastic... I mean I knew it was close visually, but I had no idea just how close. Massive kudos, 2K!

Our dear Watson is a drama queen.

Yes, why should we, yet here you are with drive by s. posts.

Our dear Watson also had this 'why should we care?' idea about math in elementary school.

People tend to fall back to petty insults when they don't have a half decent answer, because you still failed to answer why it matters? people are impressed to see at least similar graphics to PS4 running on a portable console, understanding this is apparently beyond you.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Finally got the chance to watch this.

Graphically the Switch version holds up very well, and is quite impressive as a portable - not so much as a console.

What matters most though is frame rate. 30fps isn't going to provide as good of a playing experience as 60fps no matter how you slice it. But if you're a fan, I don't see why you wouldn't want this with you at all times and could see some double dipping taking place.

For the Switch user that never takes it out of the dock, there's no reason to choose this version over the others.

Remember the good old ole days when people used to say " why would I play a watered down port on the go when I can play the game on the big tv with all the bells and whistles" about the vita? Times sure have changed. Vita was probably ahead of its time.
Because for a few exceptions it wasn't just the visuals that got watered down on Vita.

Not to mention the terrible ergonomics.

Switch is that concept done right, with the right compromises.

ViciousDS

Banned
The only killer thing is the FPS.....but if your playing with buddies in the go.....yes you won't care. But online competitive, yes I would get upset if something didn't respond quick enough. But I bought the switch version to carry around to have fun with buddies and then play the game on the Xbox when I get home.

I can only handle VC bullshit on one platform at a time

UnNamed

Banned
Compare Switch and PS4 versions are pointless, despite the new architecture, in terms of power Switch is more similar to the last gen.

It would be better to compare the Switch version with PS360 in terms of geometry, shaders,etc.

Compare Switch and PS4 versions are pointless, despite the new architecture, in terms of power Switch is more similar to the last gen.

It would be better to compare the Switch version with PS360 in terms of geometry, shaders,etc.
Why? this isn't a comparison to see which version looks the best, it's a comparison to see how well the switch version holds up.

Wow, I'm seriously impressed. Not nearly the difference I was expecting. I hope more third party's jump on now because I would love for Nintendo to follow this console design type moving forward.

Vinc

Whoa. I'm really impressed actually. That looks absolutely amazing for a portable console. Youtube compression and all, but in the video it looks so similar to the PS4 version at half the framerate.

What's the difference other than one wording is a negative for the Switch and the other a positive?
This has less to do with the switch and more to do with people look at these comparisons. I mean it's obvious that the switch can't compare visually to the other version, so it should be clear that it's about how it holds up.People buying the switch version are looking at it from that stand point. And it makes even more sense to do this comparison,since the switch version is using the same engine and is feature complete.

Why? The Switch version looks like a completely different game in some shots (the crowd and mascot comparison shot is somewhere around here). Comparing to PS3/360 would only just reinforce what we already knew. PS4/XBO is definitely the version that it needs to be compared to.

I don't see how anyone could genuinely believe this version looks more like PS3/360 than current gen.

30fps on switch

giphy.gif

I thought 30fps wouldn't be a huge problem but it really is. It feels like there's a huge amount of input lag, even on the menus. Makes it very hard to enjoy.

Looks pretty bad in this yt vid, but that could be his TV.

They have a lot of things to patch. If it wasn't a mess in so many other ways, it would have been an impressive effort rather than just OK.

EDarkness

What's the difference other than one wording is a negative for the Switch and the other a positive?

Because everyone knows that the NS isn't as powerful as the other system. This is a known thing. The comparison is to see how close the game gets to the other versions. People can decide if those compromises are worth it to them. No one should look at the NS as being more powerful as the Xbox One and PS4, so there will be compromises. Hopefully the developer makes the compromises people can live with. I personally wanted 60fps over graphics, they didn't go that way, so I didn't pick up the game. If they go 60fps next time, I'll be there day one. I don't care about the graphics that much. I'd rather have the framerate.

Astral Dog

This thread went to shit fast.

Anyway, my 2 cents: there is a difference (duh) but it's no where near Wii vs PS3 and this is what truly matters.

imagem.jpg

This is why people are actually impressed.
And the Wii wasn't portable.
though Wiis point wasn't to be competitive in graphics

Top Bottom