• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN-NXGamer: God of War: PC vs PS5 Performance Review

Kenpachii

Nice review, would have been nice if he added 1080p/1440p solutions with it. However can see huge time constrains so nice video all around.

Last edited:
Seems like an ok port, minus some issues on AMD cards. 2070 can match PS5 IQ at 60fps original settings. Just use DLSS balanced , IQ might still look a bit better on PC.

If you have a recent card then 4K maxed is easy to run with additions like much improved shadows, reflections etc. Only looking at that claustrophobic FOV I would recommend making a custom 3840 x 1600 rez in CP for this game, if you don't have 21:9 display. That will fix the FOV.

edit 21:9

Last edited:

Banned
why no CBR option on PC? anything is better than FSR so a checkerboard option would have been way better than having that wannabe upscaler.
at least it has DLSS so Nvidia users are in luck

also sad to see that the CPU usage is so shit, i really hope future Sony games will get better with this now that they have an actual PC porting studio

Last edited:

Kenpachii

why no CBR option on PC? anything is better than FSR so a checkerboard option would have been way better than having that wannabe upscaler.

also sad to see that the CPU usage is so shit, i really hope future Sony games will get better with this now that they have an actual PC porting studio

Pretty sure there is

eef813e788fab6955d608f895b266dbc.png

Render scale

Banned
Pretty sure there is

eef813e788fab6955d608f895b266dbc.png

Render scale

render scale... is literally what it says... the render scale. as in you can scale the resolution up or down. almost any modern game has that option nowadays especially DX12 games as DX12 has no actual exclusive full screen anymore and so running games with DSR or at a sub native window resolution doesn't work that well anymore

also it's a slider not an on/off setting, which instantly rules out that it's for Checkerboard rendering

Last edited:

Kenpachii

render scale... is literally what it says... the render scale. as in you can scale the resolution up or down. almost any modern game has that option nowadays especially DX12 games as DX12 has no actual exclusive full screen anymore and so running games with DSR or at a sub native window resolution doesn't work that well anymore

also it's a slider not an on/off setting, which instantly rules out that it's for Checkerboard rendering

Ah thought there was something that could enable it automatically.

Banned
Ah thought there was something that could enable it automatically.

automatically? as in when the FPS goes too low? well, I mean that would be an extreme measurement for a small FPS dip.
as soon as CBR would be turned on the native rendered resolution would literally be cut in half, that would be a bit over the top and would not work seamlessly I would imagine, that sudden change in how the image is rendered would certainly be extremely noticeable and jarring to the player as there would be a frame or two where the reconstruction would need to play catch-up with the natively rendered pixels each time it happens

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
What are those black lines around objects the character interacts with at around the 1:05 mark. Looks weird.

Edit: maybe it is supposed to be a shadow.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

Looks pretty identical, no? I thought a few things might have looked a bit sharper on the PC, like small details but generally indistinguishable.

What are those black lines around objects the character interacts with at around the 1:05 mark. Looks weird.

Edit: maybe it is supposed to be a shadow.

Yeah, I don't remember the hand looking so 'floaty' above the tree in the opening scene. But w/e, still great looking game and I enjoyed my time with it so

winjer

Gold Member
Really strange that they decided to use a high level API such as DX11.
This means no a-sync compute, RTX, etc.
And it has problems distributing load across threads. With one main thread becoming a bottleneck.
Add the stuttering and it seems better to wait for a couple of patches.
Far from the worst port ever, but just a bit lacking. But if they give it the same level of support HZD received, then it will improve quite a bit.

ZywyPL

Banned
This game aged horribly.

It both did and didn't - since GoW3 the series is known for visual inconsistency, with the highest heights looking better than everything out there, which holds truth to this 3yo title as well, while the lowest lows look almost from previous gen (some of the texture work is straight from PS3). Dunno what's the reason why SSM cannot maintain the same, consistent high level of visuals throughout the entire game, but that's just what it is. Shame they didn't bother putting better textures when porting the game to PC, it doesn't cost anything performance-wise, while it would alone make the worst oarts so much more appealing.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It both did and didn't - since GoW3 the series is known for visual inconsistency, with the highest heights looking better than everything out there, which holds truth to this 3yo title as well, while the lowest lows look almost from previous gen (some of the texture work is straight from PS3). Dunno what's the reason why SSM cannot maintain the same, consistent high level of visuals throughout the entire game, but that's just what it is. Shame they didn't bother putting better textures when porting the game to PC, it doesn't cost anything performance-wise, while it would alone make the worst oarts so much more appealing.
They can't put higher res textures in the game because they would have to spend several years redoing all the textures they had to paint. Creating assets is the main time-sync when developing games - that's why it takes so many years.

ZywyPL

Banned
They can't put higher res textures in the game because they would have to spend several years redoing all the textures they had to paint. Creating assets is the main time-sync when developing games - that's why it takes so many years.

Unless they already had them in the first place and had to tone them down to fit within the given (PS4) VRAM budget.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Unless they already had them in the first place and had to tone them down to fit within the given (PS4) VRAM budget.
If they had them in the first place, it would have been applied to the PC version.

This is one of those cases like FF15 or other games that get a texture pack. The textures were there but they didn't have time to port them over right at release.

We *may* see that on the horizon. I wouldn't count it out just yet.

Can you show me one current or last gen game that has consistent level of details? I tell you, if I get my hand on a game I will zoom in on distant objects and they will look terrible.

Horizon, The Last of Us 2 (or 1), MS Flight Simulator, you name it. They don't have unlimited asset and/or rendering budget, so something has to be compromized.

What I personally noticed is that when it's well done these flaws trick our eyes well enough during normal gameplay.

TrackZ

Hmm, trying out an ultra wide setting in my theater room and then using the projector lens memory to zoom it up sounds interesting. I hadn't thought to try that before. Yes, it's losing some resolution, but if it increases FOV and such it could be a pretty immersive experience. I'll have to try this out at least to see once my room is back up and running.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Review code provided by Sony Computer Entertainment.

A graphic comparison of the new PC release of God of War [2018] to its original PS4Pro (enhanced on PS5) counterpart.

This detailed analysis covers every aspect of the game's visual presentation, including model complexity, environments, lighting, along with a brief overview of the performance differences between the two systems.

PS5 version is set to its performance mode as this has been proven to not degrade visual quality in any discernable way.

rofif

Banned
I had a chance to compare ps5 to pc (3080) version.
Both on LG c1 48" tv. My buddy got the steam version.
As long as you have DLSS, the fps is above 70 and it's very smooth. if You disable DLSS, it goes below 60 and even vrr struggles. But DLSS looks great.
One thing I noticed is the strong sharpening on PC. I really don't like sharpening. You can see it on snow or sometimes when moving. You know how oversharpening looks.
I spent some time with PC version and then launched the same point on ps5 and ... I think I am safe to replay my PS5 version.
It looks very similar and the sharpening is gone. It is generally tiny bit less sharp but feels just as smooth to control. If You got ps5, don't worry about it. It's really good. There is something coherent about ps5 look but it's probably just in my head ;)
Of course PC is sharper and have better LOD a bit. It really pops in some scenes but at the same time it can look oversharpened and ambient occlusion creates the thin lines around objects in some cutscenes.

HDR is the same on both. 50/50 is overexposed in highlights. SO it's not fixed on pc.

edit: Xbox controller feels fantastic (20th anniv controller). The one difference is ps5 3d audio... but I've not compared it enough yet.

Last edited:

Hugare

Haver you ever seen any port from Sony using CBR? Horizon? Days Gone? Death Stranding?

CBR, as far as I know, was a sollution made only for PS4 Pro. It has specific hardware inside it in order for it to work.

Last edited:

Banned
CBR, as far as I know, was a sollution made only for PS4 Pro. It has specific hardware inside it in order for it to work.

where the fuck did you read that? we have multiple games on Xbox One X and even base Xbox One AND base PS4 that use it... and on PC we have most of the recent Resident Evil games + Watch_Dogs 2

there is nothing special about the PS4 hardware compared to any other modern GPU that came out after it. CBR is not rocket science... you render half the horizontal pixel one frame, and the other half the next frame. in between you fill out the gaps.
how the gaps are filled exactly is different for each game,
Rocket League on PS4 Pro seems to just have raw interlacing with zero reconstruction, while Dark Souls Remastered on Pro and One X uses such a good algorithm that it fooled VG Tech and Digital Foundry by hiding almost all the artifacting, which made it look basically like native 1800p if you don't have a native 1800p comparison shot

Resident Evil 8 uses checkerboard 900p on base Xbox One which looks ok... too bad everything else about that version looks like ass lol
base PS4 ran it at native 900p

Last edited:

Arioco

there is nothing special about the PS4 hardware compared to any other modern GPU that came out after it. CBR is not rocket science...

It's not PS4, it's PS4 Pro that has specific hardware for CB, the ID buffer. It doesn't mean it can't be done in other ways though. ID Buffer is supposed to make it easier and give better results. Not sure if any hardware launched after PS4 Pro includes that feature, not even about PS5 since SONY hasn't said anything at all about it (I'd say it does have ID Buffer since it's able to run all PS4 Pro games that use CB, but SONY wouldn't tell, so impossible to be sure).

Top Bottom