• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PSP 2 is coming (rumor)

The only thing I strongly disagree with, among the suggestions for PSP2, is the addition of a HDD. If Sony even considers removing the battery-draining, prone-to-failure, UMD, then they should utilize an SSD or some other solid-state memory for storage, along with some type of memory card/stick for retail games, like the DS. Battery-life is a major feature when it comes to portable electronics.

matticus

_leech_ said:
Yeah, and more and more ISPs keep introducing bandwidth caps.

IIRC the proposed bandwith caps are pretty huge. Downloading a 1-2gb game a day would not even get you close. It's the super uploaders/downloaders (think power torrent users) that they are trying to eliminate.

I still do not think that bandwith caps will be something that becomes the norm. Speed tiers seem to work fine.

matticus

George Claw M.D. said:
The only thing I strongly disagree with, among the suggestions for PSP2, is the addition of a HDD. If Sony even considers removing the battery-draining, prone-to-failure, UMD, then they should utilize an SSD or some other solid-state memory for storage, along with some type of memory card/stick for retail games, like the DS. Battery-life is a major feature when it comes to portable electronics.

Yeah, I would hope it's a SSD. They are getting cheaper and cheaper all the time. My top wishes would be:

- OLED
- Slim form factor
- 2 analog nubs

I'll take touchscreen if they can implement it as well as apple but that's a big if. Still no one has duplicated it in the phone scene.

unveil and teaser reel at this E3?

Downloadable only, kiosks in major retailers to offer game downloads for people without pc access.

64+ GB's of storage space.

multi-touch screen

dual analogs

psp 1 games available through psn

PSN username tie in, with trophy support across platforms

camera, accelerometer, and possibly rumble?

matticus

Norml said:
They should make a special model with OLED.

I think it will have OLED. When they are that size, they aren't too expensive. They are starting to show up in many advanced cell phones.

Mamesj

Banned
all these wishes are nice, but a PSP2 with oled, phone, touch screen, etc. is not with this company needs to release right now.

matticus

outunderthestars said:
unveil and teaser reel at this E3?
Downloadable only, kiosks in major retailers to offer game downloads for people without pc access.

I wonder if they would sell games on SD cards that you could offload to the internal HD. That way B&M would still get a cut and internetless consumers (those still exist?) would have an alternative.

matticus said:
I wonder if they would sell games on SD cards that you could offload to the internal HD. That way B&M would still get a cut and internetless consumers (those still exist?) would have an alternative.

Kiosks allow for instant gratification and no warehouse/manufacturing costs for publishers.

matticus

Mamesj said:
all these wishes are nice, but a PSP2 with oled, phone, touch screen, etc. is not with this company needs to release right now.

I don't think oled is out of the question. Increased OLED production would benefit Sony in the long run as they have large stakes in the tech. Remember, they are already showing up in cell phones. Screens of smaller size are not ridiculously expensive.

Imagine how slim they could make a device with an OLED and a SSD. It could be as slim as the ipod touch and still have all the face buttons. Pure sex.

I don't think we'll see PSP2 until end of 2010 at the earliest, so the tech costs will definitely be down by then.

Mamesj said:
OLED and phone would be terrible, but a multitouch screen would be a great idea, if only because it'd encourage crossplatform DS (DS2?)/iPhone/PSP2 touch-enabled games rather than letting them pass the PSP2 by.

edit: okay i admit that oled would rock but i feel like it'd be too costly

camineet

Banned
Nov-Dec 2010 seems the right time for PSP2, probably two years ahead of PS4.

Keep an eye on Nvidia and Imagination Technologies for design wins. Nvidia was already supposed to have won the graphics contract back in 2006 (just Google: Nvidia PSP2, and you'll find articles)...

PSP2 will be more DD friendly, but cannot rely completely on DD. There has to be physical media of some kind, and I'm certain it'll be solid-state. I cannot wait for a PSP with games that load almost instantly, like DS. I also cannot wait for multi-touch for gameplay and menu navigation. If the price is no more than $199, I think it'll be perfect.

The PSP can be concidered a success. It's the ONLY non-Nintendo gaming handheld to sell tens of millions of systems and survive in the face of the all-powerful Nintendo. Sony needs to build on PSP's relative success with the next generation, and I welcome its arrival, hopefully within the next 22-23 months.

Vinci

Danish
Mamesj said:

Of course it is. Might as well steal from everyone imaginable at the same time. Economics be damned.

Talon

bmf said:
No. IGN first. Their shit has got to stop.

You do realize that the enthusiast press in general is reliant on rumors and hearsay for a moderate chunk of news, right? Automobile press does it, the Tech press does it, the Hollywood press does it, etc. Video games media is especially reliant considering, well, there's only so much you can discuss.

Everyone's been wrong at one point or another, some more than others.

The PSP2 will be the PSPhone.

With their already built-in infrastructure for purchasing games and movies this could end up being the first substantial competitor to the iPhone if they do it right.

From an economics perspective, I don't really see it happening - the PSP as it is is trucking along nicely and earning Sony a nice chunk of cash every month with which to offset some of their awful PS3 losses.

Granted the PSP2 could become far more successful, but if it settles at approximately the same level as the PSP (strong hardware sales, middling to terrible software sales), that's a huge pile of RnD/marketing/etc money blown for nothing.

Pachael

Pureauthor said:
From an economics perspective, I don't really see it happening - the PSP as it is is trucking along nicely and earning Sony a nice chunk of cash every month with which to offset some of their awful PS3 losses.

Granted the PSP2 could become far more successful, but if it settles at approximately the same level as the PSP (strong hardware sales, middling to terrible software sales), that's a huge pile of RnD/marketing/etc money blown for nothing.

This, and considering that the DS* is smashing the PSP left right and centre in both HW and SW sales, it's debatable whether Sony'd make another PSP actually, they've enough trouble getting SW for the PSP at the moment. As for the iPhone competition, well that's if Apple do screw up but that's unlikely.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If the games are digitally distributed, it would be much easier for Sony to crack down on pirates. Just throwing that out there.

polyh3dron said:

With their already built-in infrastructure for purchasing games and movies this could end up being the first substantial competitor to the iPhone if they do it right.

Why would they want to severely limit their product by making it a phone?

I think of the major faults of the PSP was trying to be a jack of all trades kind of device.

It needs to stick to being an affordable game machine with a variety of compelling software options.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
bmf said:
but please, drop the Memroy Stick for SD.
SD micro works just fine with current PSP already. And SD fats are being phased out anyway.

camineet said:
I cannot wait for a PSP with games that load almost instantly, like DS.
You can already play them from flash media now. They aren't instant (obviously) but load times won't get any better then that, especially if new hw can throw around more data.

I do agree about people ignoring the issues with media distribution though. PSP games are already orders of magnitude bigger then what you get on Apple store, and most people expect hw improvements which will only make them grow bigger.
"Download" kiosks might work I suppose, depending if shoppers are patient enough to wait a few minutes to get one game.

bridegur

I can't imagine a PSP2 yet. What would it be like, powerwise? It would have to outdo the PSP, which I can't see as a viable option right now. Just make the current one cheaper and more durable.

Oh no, a new PSP isn't really necessary. The PSP hardware still has a lot to offer. I hope that a PSP2 doesn't come out until 2011. I bought my PSP 1000 in 2007 and I'd liek to use it for 3 or 4 years. Assuming it doesn't break down.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yes, this please.
homerav.jpg

polyh3dron said:

No. They'll be two sku's A "Just games" sku and and Phone Sku. (ah la Ipod touch/Iphone)

jrricky

Banned
Touch Screen?

Yup Nintendo is definitely shaping this industry.:lol

If this is true, look forward to motion controls too.

jrricky said:
Touch Screen?

Multitouch sounds like it'd be a whole lot closer to the iPhone than the DS, as does motion controls (the iPhone's got several tilt sensor games).

Synless

alr1ghtstart said:
for the love of god, pop-up analog sticks (push down when not in use). The nub will not do.
As cool as this sounds, how exactly would this work? Wouldn't they just push down as you were using them?

I really don't think motion controls would work well for handheld games... And the... uh, 'experiments' with motion controls on handhelds so far merely serve to reinforce that belief.

jrricky said:
Touch Screen?

Yes because Nintendo invented touch screens.......

Touch screens in gaming devices is not an innovation, it's evolution.

Synless

Trailblazer said:
Yes because Nintendo invented touch screens.......

Touch screens in gaming devices is not an innovation, it's evolution.
I *personally* Think touch screens are an de-evolution. They are a gimmick and nothing more.

Balb

Synless said:
I *personally* Think touch screens are an de-evolution. They are a gimmick and nothing more.

Care to explain? There are several games on the DS that couldn't be done without a touch screen that are definitely worth playing.

Synless

Balb said:
Care to explain? There are several games on the DS that couldn't be done without a touch screen that are definitely worth playing.
You have certain games that can work with it, ex. Metriod Hunters. Most games however are clumsy and inaccurate. A gimmicky afterthought.

Balb

Synless said:
You have certain games that can work with it, ex. Metriod Hunters. Most games however are clumsy and inaccurate. A gimmicky afterthought.

Most games in general are clumsy. The fact that the touch screen spawned several quality games proves that it was a great evolution to handheld gaming. Ignore the bad games and play the ones that are worthwhile.

Tobor

Synless said:

I guess you won't be buying a PSP2.

Synless

Balb said:
Most games in general are clumsy. The fact that the touch screen spawned several quality games proves that it was a great evolution to handheld gaming. Ignore the bad games and play the ones that are worthwhile.
The problem is for a system with a touch screen that's been out for a while it's only spawned a few and I mean a small handful of games that do it well out of the hundreds of other games that haven't.

Top Bottom