• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Rumor: Insomniac Games Going Multiplatform

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well I expected this... It always seemed like sony was taking advantage of insomniac, but we'll see what happens.

Norml

Afrikan said:
like so?

i-8-20060117011953709_640w.jpg

I took this from Uncharted.I want some darker levels in R3.

25aizkl.jpg

Truespeed

Kittonwy said:
There hasn't been much in the platformer genre this generation. In general their games don't feature a lot of the graphical effects that are common place among the best-looking titles, like HDR, self-shadowing characters and objects, SSAO, etc.

R&C are 60 FPS games. The proper sacrifices were made for the preservation of the frame rate. As you know, Acton is well aware of all of the 'concerns' of the engine which is why they'll likely be focusing more on eye candy then high frame rates, for their next project, to appease the masses.

MrPliskin

Banned
CcrooK said:
I like how people are "oh goody! More quality games for everyone!". What a crock of shit you people are. :lol
This. All we hear for ages is how bad they are, and now people are excited. What a joke. The GAF hyperbole in reference to the quality of R2 was laugh worthy. The game was pretty good, yet got slammed for doing what other "favorites" did just the same.

I love the bi-polar GAF though. I can't wait for more Insomniac love!

On a serious note: If true, good for the crew. These guys deserve to become a power house. Ted Price is one of the nicest guys I've had the opportunity to meet, and I wish his studio the best.

Rat Salad

Banned
Hopefully someone tells them how to create good art and character designs because the Ratchet and Klank series still make my eyes bleed. Resistance is fine though,would love to have this series hit the 360 with some good Microsoft promotion behind a new installment.

quickwhips

Xbox 360s user base is bigger that PS3 in america. Selling to both would make the company survive better in this day and age. Some companies can stay on one platform and still make money. Metal Gear showed this to be true. But come on IG isn't in the same league. Their games coming out on xbox 360 will only help them. If some people get pissy and don't buy there games that is ok because IG will make that up and then some on the 360. There are a lot of people that have 360s that want to play IG games. I don't even really believe its about which console will sell more of IG but that fact is that overall they will sell more games and be able to then make more games for the masses to play. Of course I could be wrong and this could be bioshock 2 all over again (but i still think it sold well on ps3). But 195,000 more copies of a Insomniac game would be pretty sweet for them I think.

FrankT

Russell said:
Disgusting. :(

I'm not going to get into my reasons now, but I despise multi-platform games; I won't buy them on principal.

You are missing out on a lot of quality games brotha. That's just weird.

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
Well guys, Ted has spoken so you have that.

But c'mon, didn't we just deal with this rumor like two months ago? And a few months before that? And so on?

Pretty amazing this is still being look over.:lol

Russell

Jtyettis said:
You are missing out on a lot of quality games brotha. That's just weird.
No problem. I'll stick with console-exclusives only. :)

It just makes my purchasing decisions easier.

SolidSnakex said:
A couple of things, I said on a consistent basis. That doesn't mean that there aren't going to be polished multiplatform games. It just means that in general first party titles are more polished than multiplatform titles. And I honestly don't know how you could put AC2, a game with a pretty high tear ratio on the PS3, in the same league as U2 when it comes to polish. It doesn't mean that it's not a great game, but it's definitely lacking polish.

Aside from polish, you also have the issue of taking advantage of a systems strengths which multiplatform developers rarely do. And that's because developers want all versions of a game to be equal.

You make it seem like every exclusive title reviews great and sells through the roof and this isn't true at all. Most of the top selling games for the PS3 are multiplatform. Even the first ever million seller in the US for the system wasn't exclusive and a third party multiplatform title instead.

Being exclusive can help a developer who just isn't as talented to perform a multiplatform development cycle. Developers that only have the bandwidth to concentrate on one game at a time. I would dare to disagree with your polish quote since looking at a game like inFamous that was exclusive obviously lacks polish the more you play it. Sucker Punch said so themselves in their post mortem in Game Developer magazine. Being an exclusive doesn't give you a free pass except with the fanboys.

While I generally like Insomniac games, I don't think they are great games. They make good comfort food games but I really doubt they could run with the big boys out there and move away from the comfort of the first party so I see them staying under the umbrella and staying on the teat for a while longer.

JJD_BR

Banned
Razor210 said:
MGS4 on 360 debacle?

Metal Gear Rising says hi...

Well personaly...I hope it's not true. I own both consoles, but I'll admit a little Sony bias.

I even felt betrayed by the FFXIII 360 announcement! :lol

Anyway, Insomiac always looked like the uglier jealous step sister to the other bigger Sony devs...at least on this generation!

I don't think Resistance 2 is as bad as everyone says...it's just not as good as they were hoping...

People were expecting an Halo killer, which it wasn't (and I hate Halo).

I'll say this. If going multi means that they will REALLY step up their game, and start producing the blockbuster hits they're supposed to, then go for it.

If they will keep doing just the same old thing, only on a different console, then they better stay were they are...competition is ruthless out there...

FrankT

Loudninja said:

I'm not really sure people are in fact. As it simply points to what was in the OP anyways and people have debated why they haven't just come out and shot down as well.

mentalfloss said:
That's.. kinda retarded.

Agreed, I mean to miss out on the Batman:AA and Fallout 3's of the world, no thanks.

beast786

OldJadedGamer said:
You make it seem like every exclusive title reviews great and sells through the roof and this isn't true at all. Most of the top selling games for the PS3 are multiplatform. Even the first ever million seller in the US for the system wasn't exclusive and a third party multiplatform title instead.

Being exclusive can help a developer who just isn't as talented to perform a multiplatform development cycle. Developers that only have the bandwidth to concentrate on one game at a time. I would dare to disagree with your polish quote since looking at a game like inFamous that was exclusive obviously lacks polish the more you play it. Sucker Punch said so themselves in their post mortem in Game Developer magazine. Being an exclusive doesn't give you a free pass except with the fanboys.

While I generally like Insomniac games, I don't think they are great games. They make good comfort food games but I really doubt they could run with the big boys out there and move away from the comfort of the first party so I see them staying under the umbrella and staying on the teat for a while longer.

They only way a multiplatform game can keep up with exclusive if its AAA budget and have different unique teams working on each platform . During the tough economic times not all publishers can afford 3 different ground up development team.

And the Multiplatform games that are on top of PS3 top 10 are all huge budget and ground up games. If a publisher can avoid PORTING, you might have some merit. But unfortunately that NOT how it is in most cases.

OldJadedGamer said:

I didn't say anything about sales so why are you even bringing that up?

Snipes424

Loudninja said:

I'm fairly convinced that people don't want to listen to reasoning, they enjoy the chaos, or like to lie to themselves.

Edit* lol, it didn't take kotaku long to pick up the story, they are so predictable, it's sad.

Animator

Look guys I don't care if Insomniac goes bankrupt and have to close down they better not go on 360 or the ps3 users will be really pissed and...uh...buy their games like usual or something.

I am a ps3 only user but can't say I would be anything but happy for insomniac if they go multiplatform. They will make more money and in the end make better games.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the ips they do for sony are owned by sony. they might own a part of some of them, maybe, or get some royalties out of any sort of spin offs they do, but you're not going to see Resistance or R&C on a non-Sony console.

If Insomniac makes something for other platforms itll come out on PS3 too, anyway. It just means they're branching out and making their operations bigger.

Who knows, maybe they'll publish games for themselves too.

trinest

sweetvar26 said:
Nice, all the world needs now is Bungie going multiplatform. Yes, you heard it here first GAF :D

sony-make-believe-500x258.jpg
I like how you think your been a smart ass- but really there is nothing stopping them.

bridegur

Whatever gets them to try something other than R&C or Resistance should be a positive mood. My only concern is that they seem to be struggling slightly with visuals on the PS3 -- what's programming for two consoles going to do to their games?

JJD_BR

Banned
msdstc said:
Well I expected this... It always seemed like sony was taking advantage of insomniac, but we'll see what happens.

Is your definition of taking advantage helping a developer successfully grow in an extremly competitive market?

Shred0r

Banned
Bogus! The 360 just cannot handle the sheer awesomeness that comes with Insomniac! It would be too much for the mainboard: sensoric overload!

beast786 said:
They only way a multiplatform game can keep up with exclusive if its AAA budget and have different unique teams working on each platform . During the tough economic times not all publishers can afford 3 different ground up development team.

And the Multiplatform games that are on top of PS3 top 10 are all huge budget and ground up games. If a publisher can avoid PORTING, you might have some merit. But unfortunately that NOT how it is in most cases.

The very first million seller for the PS3 in the US was a port of a 360 title btw. You act like developers are so dumb to multiplatform development and they need two totally independent teams. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Games share a shit ton of code and assets. Sure, you need some specific programmers for each system but not like you are talking about, that is just silly to assume that a multipatform game is automatically double the budget.

SolidSnakex said:
I didn't say anything about sales so why are you even bringing that up?

Because the videogame industry is a business. They aren't making these games out of the goodness of their hearts, they are making games to sell for a profit. If Insomniac went third party it would be so, so they could enjoy more sales for their titles.

davepoobond said:
the ips they do for sony are owned by sony. they might own a part of some of them, maybe, or get some royalties out of any sort of spin offs they do, but you're not going to see Resistance or R&C on a non-Sony console.

If Insomniac makes something for other platforms itll come out on PS3 too, anyway. It just means they're branching out and making their operations bigger.

Who knows, maybe they'll publish games for themselves too.

This brings up a valid point in that Insomniac is a bankrupt company. They don't own a single IP they have ever worked on. If they walked away from Sony, every game they have made in the past goes with that... but that would be a good thing since it would force them to create a new IP, one the company would actually own.

OldJadedGamer said:
Because the videogame industry is a business. They aren't making these games out of the goodness of their hearts, they are making games to sell for a profit. If Insomniac went third party it would be so, so they could enjoy more sales for their titles.

That still has nothing to do with what I was saying. I was just pointing out why people like exclusive titles.

I refuse to believe this until it comes through a legit channel, i.e. Anonymous Twitter leak etc.

Whatever insomniac does, I hope they keep doing it. Very fun games.

Top Bottom