• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Rumor: Insomniac Games Going Multiplatform

Ploid 3.0

So I finally got around to playing Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time and it's an awesome semi rpg. Make a dedicated RPG Insomniac, you can do it.

Kittonwy

Banned
MrPliskin said:
FML. Kill yoursel already you broken record! We're seriously tired of the same song and dance. Move on with your life already.

Not until their games have HDR+self-shadowing. Take it easy.
Indifferent2.gif

Ploid 3.0 said:
So I finally got around to playing Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time and it's an awesome semi rpg. Make a dedicated RPG Insomniac, you can do it.

Fuck RPGs, for RPGs lick ass. A space adventure, but not a fucking RPG. Ever.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
AniHawk said:
Insomniac's been making games for Sony exclusively for a long time now. If Sony is suddenly not letting them do what they want to do to flex their creativity (like in the Activision/IW relationship), then IG should go ahead and do something else. I'm kinda pissed at UbiSoft for dragging their feet when it comes to letting Michel Ancel creating the type of game he wants to make, and making his studio work on movie-games and minigame collections instead.

If that is the case, then I agree with you 100%. If not...then I don't.

Kittonwy

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
You're missing the whole point. An experienced dev team will be making the games in tandem so both versions are lead from the ground up. Games you are pointing to started their development years ago when the PS3 didn't have good tools. Now that Sony is up to speed it's a different story. You are living in the past.

Again, there will be only one single reason Insomniac would go true third party and that is to enjoy more sales. If you want to stick your head in the sand and say that sales don't matter at all then I have nothing to discuss with you.

Of course sales matter, the problem is that you're also spending more, and having more people means your overhead is also going to increase, the key is to have enough sales to justify the increase in overhead. It's easy to look at the successes like Ass Creed or Modern Warfare and forget games like Dark Void and Brutal Legend that don't do as well.

MrPliskin said:
FML. Kill yoursel already you broken record! We're seriously tired of the same song and dance. Move on with your life already.

You kill yourself. Don't talk to my favorite poster like that. Thanks.

I really don't see the reason for them to be going multi-platform. They need to go back to square one and establish themselves as the top tier developer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SolidsnackooFoxhound said:
You kill yourself. Don't talk to my favorite poster like that. Thanks.

j80ie0.png

"Leave Kittonwy alone!"

Kenak said:
If it's a platformer it's interesting. If it's more FPS from them, not interested at all.

I really hope a new IP wouldn't simply be a Resistance or Ratchet re-skin.

Apath

JaseC said:
I really hope a new IP wouldn't simply be a Resistance or Ratchet re-skin.
I know some people would probably disagree, but I don't really consider Ratchet a true platformer as much as a jack-of-all-trades. \shrug

J-Rzez

It would be a shame to see them go mp. This has diluted so much of gaming this gen already. I wish everyone would pick a machine and focus on it. Not worrying about compromises here and there, or being afraid to push the tech in one because you can while you couldn't with the other.

I have my PS3, 360, and gaming rig for exclusives usually. MP games may get a gamefly usually. I want my games to have maximum effort into them that they can. Quit dumbing down the games already. I'd hate to see how something like Uncharted 2 would've ended up if it were mp for example.

"More people get to experience it!", and I may have thought that at one time or another, but after seeing this gen especially what becomes of it I came to this conclusion: Fuck that noise. I want to get my money's worth out of a machine. Don't dumb down my games bro.

Anyways, I want to see Insomniac make a "Diablo-esque" game personally. I don't know why, but I think they could do a killer one for some reason.

filopilo

AniHawk said:
If Sony is suddenly not letting them do what they want to do to flex their creativity (like in the Activision/IW relationship), then IG should go ahead and do something else.

That's a big laugh.Sony not letting creativity and self expression...
As an old industry insider , i can't take that serioulsy ,sorry.

If they go multiplat (wich i doubt seeing how much very specific technology design they have developed past years),that's not for this reason.

shwimpy

So Resistance 3(0FPS) will be their last exclusive? I'm interested in what they'll be doing after since I could care less about FPS.

Hex

Banned
JStevenson, I am giving you this one for free ok?
Greatest game ever, and it will allow you guys to write your own checks no matter where you decide (hopefully with the PS3 but you know it is what it is).
Ok ready?
Zombies
Aliens
Right? Are you feeling it?
Zombies vs Aliens!
Can you imagine slagging Zombies with alien weapons like crossing Ratchet and Resistance weapons?

(Just send me a free signed poster when it hits gold status and we are good on royalties and all of that)

Dogenzaka

Banned
Are we really giving credit to an IGN rumor? Come on now.

It's a pity if Insomniac's games go multi-platform. Not because I don't want 360 or Wii players to get their Insomniac fix, but because going multi-platform means that they now have to focus on 2-3 platforms at once per game, which ultimately results in a loss of quality and polish in games. :(

I'm of the selfish and unrealistic opinion that studios should focus on one platform for their games, and if you don't have the console, that's your problem. But whatever.

ymmv

Banned
Truespeed said:
You're saying that the R&C series have been behind technologically? No way. There is nothing out there that comes close to R&C in its genre. You may have a point with Resistance 2, but R1 was a great launch game.

It's silly. IG has had a *great* run of games so far. The only (relative) disappointment was R2 but they hit the ball right out of the park with Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time once again. ACiT was a great, fresh game with excellent visuals, a true return to form. Yet we keep seeing people saying that IG is a so so developer that has been producing unfinished mediocre games for god knows how long, as if their resume only consisted of variations on Resistance 2.

In my view IG shouldn't go multiplatform. I like the fact that the PS3's game library still is different from the 360's. With so many developers catering to both consoles the number of exclusive titles has gone down dramatically this console generation. Since I'm a multiconsole owner I'd rather have devs sticking to one platform for a whole gen and really exploiting the hardware like IG and ND, than devs going multiplatform and then creating "worst of both worlds" games with lots of frame skips and tearing.

BeeDog

If this becomes reality, I would be extremely curious about the reasons for going multiplatform. As an example, Bungie has had a shorter relationship with MS, but you won't see them going MP any time soon, if at all. Insomniac, on the other hand, has worked with Sony for God knows how long, and I'd assume that would build up a lot of goodwill, trust, you name it. For them to go MP, I'd assume some hardcore behind-the-scenes politics would be the cause, and not just the "we wanna reach more gamers" stance.

ChryZ

BeeDog said:
If this becomes reality, I would be extremely curious about the reasons for going multiplatform. As an example, Bungie has had a shorter relationship with MS, but you won't see them going MP any time soon, if at all. Insomniac, on the other hand, has worked with Sony for God knows how long, and I'd assume that would build up a lot of goodwill, trust, you name it. For them to go MP, I'd assume some hardcore behind-the-scenes politics would be the cause, and not just the "we wanna reach more gamers" stance.
Don't you think other platform holders would be thrilled to pay them with good will too? Not sure, if it's really such a big gamble.

BeeDog

ChryZ said:
Don't you think other platform holders would be thrilled to pay them with good will too? Not sure, if it's really such a big gamble.

It's not like Insomniac's games have lit up the game charts in such a way that Microsoft would (or should) eye the company with a "dat ass" expression. I obviously dunno how the behind-the-scenes stuff looks like, but I assume going MP would essentially throw the Sony-IG relationship away... unless Sony knew about this a long time ago (e.g. exclusive deal like "produce a couple of games for us").

Ploid 3.0

J-Rzez said:
It would be a shame to see them go mp. This has diluted so much of gaming this gen already. I wish everyone would pick a machine and focus on it. Not worrying about compromises here and there, or being afraid to push the tech in one because you can while you couldn't with the other.

I have my PS3, 360, and gaming rig for exclusives usually. MP games may get a gamefly usually. I want my games to have maximum effort into them that they can. Quit dumbing down the games already. I'd hate to see how something like Uncharted 2 would've ended up if it were mp for example.

"More people get to experience it!", and I may have thought that at one time or another, but after seeing this gen especially what becomes of it I came to this conclusion: Fuck that noise. I want to get my money's worth out of a machine. Don't dumb down my games bro.

Anyways, I want to see Insomniac make a "Diablo-esque" game personally. I don't know why, but I think they could do a killer one for some reason.

This is more of what I meant. I'm not saying I'd like to see them take on a JRPG, WRPG like game, but they have dabbled in having rpg elements in R&C, and Resistance co-op (loved it). A Titans Quest, Diablo like game from them could be great, especially with MP elements. I really want them to explore that type of stuff further. Maybe make the Co-op online mode a bigger feature for the next resistance. More loot, more levels, more abilities, more missions, and more challenging fights.

Shurs

BeeDog said:

The difference is that Bungie was owned by Microsoft while Insomniac Games is merely a partner of Sony's. It wouldn't surprise me if Bungie had to make certain concessions to Microsoft in order to gain their freedom.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MrPliskin said:

This is like the strongest insult I've ever seen on GAF. :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Shurs said:
The difference is that Bungie was owned by Microsoft while Insomniac Games is merely a partner of Sony's. It wouldn't surprise me if Bungie had to make certain concessions to Microsoft in order to gain their freedom.
This was the closest we got to an answer.

Wired said:
WN: One of the details that was going around before the official announcement was that Microsoft was going to have right of first refusal on the games Bungie was making — or is it the case that Microsoft Game Studios is the publisher from here on out?

FO: Microsoft Game Studios is our publisher for two projects that we’ve announced, and beyond that I can’t talk about the details of the deal, because we are a privately held LLC, but on the other hand Microsoft is a publicly held company, so they might be able to talk about those details in more depth than we can.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2007/10/interview-bungi/#ixzz0i2hvMON3
The two games were Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach presumably.

If they do have a right of first refusal contract, that would mean that Bungie can choose whatever game they want to make, but they have to offer Microsoft the first chance to publish it. If Microsoft refuses, then they can offer it to other publishers.

Given Frankie's response though, if that clause does exist, it may be time or number of game delimited.

More directly on topic though, I would be rather surprised if Insomniac didn't go multiplatform at some point.

seady

Their games like Resistance would not stand a chance against all the great FPS out there had it not been branded and marketed as a PS3 exclusive. Not that they are not a good developer, but once they go multiplat, the attention people pay to their games will be similar to seeing just another Wolfenstein or Condemned.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
J-Rzez said:

Deep down inside, I'm actually with you 100%.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Kittonwy said:
Dark Void and Brutal Legend
Unless you hate gaming, please don't ever group these two together again.

Kittonwy

Banned
ChryZ said:

$30-40 million for a project is always a big gamble, not saying they're not worth it but they've never really had that "it" factor like Bungie and Infinity Ward had with HALO and COD, although if EA can spend money on Shafer and Double Fine given their record they can certainly afford to spend on Insomniac.

If we were to assume there's any validity to the idea of Insomniac eyeballing other platforms, now would be as good a time as any for Nintendo to moneyhat a western 3rd party developer. Unlike Factor 5 I'd actually trust Insomniac with a Kid Icarus title, under Nintendo's watchful eye of course. They've got the right sort of art direction and understanding of how to stitch multiple play styles together to make it work.

Kittonwy said:
Of course sales matter, the problem is that you're also spending more, and having more people means your overhead is also going to increase, the key is to have enough sales to justify the increase in overhead. It's easy to look at the successes like Ass Creed or Modern Warfare and forget games like Dark Void and Brutal Legend that don't do as well.

That would be the correct course of action with those two games.

BeeDog

Chrange said:
The love will return as soon as the rumor is debunked. :lol

Please point me to these posts. The only thing I can see are a couple of super-obvious and stupid "betrayal" posts, but I don't see the "damn didn't realize so many ps3 owners hated insomniac until this thread" anywhere near this thread.

I swear, some of you are grasping at straws and making overblown assumptions just to fling more shit at PS3 owners whenever possible. Some of you seem to see "fanboys" wherever you look.

Lakitu

st5fu
Very talented developers, I'd love for them to develop for 360.

Dare I say, a new Insomniac developed Spyro the Dragon game? That would be delightfully delicious. The first is one of my favourite platformers ever.

PJX

00011000 said:
Thing is, IG have always been exclusive to Playstation whereas Bungie were Multiplat before being bought by MS so it wouldn't be as odd.

I just don't feel IG have lived up to their promise at all and haven't really provided us PS3 owners anything really groundbreaking. I understand there are passionate fans of their games, but their games simply aren't good enough to be considered tentpole titles and really demand an unfair-share of attention from Sony at the expense of other 1st party titles. (Killzone 2)

I'd prefer Sony nurture another studio to fill the exclusive void left vacant by the possible IG defection to multi-plat-dom. Preferably a studio that can produce innovative, polished titles. (Media Molecule and Quantic Dream come to mind)

The Ratchet and Clank games are the best games on the PS3.

Man

The reality most likely is that their new team is multiplatform and the existing hq will continue to work on their Sony licenses.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Shurs said:
Nothing to see here…
242fx4m.gif

Danielsan

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
Insomniac is a pretty talented studio, but due to their tight development cycles their games always lack that special something.
I really enjoyed the Ratchet series, but I couldn't care less about the Resistance franchise.
Their games just lack a little something extra to stand out from the crowd, which is also one of the reasons why sales have been lacking for them.

I would love for them to bring a new IP next year and if it's multiplatform then that's great.
Hopefully they will enjoy more sales that way.

yurinka

Not a Imsomniac fan here, but I think it may be good for them. In Sony they are shadowed by other developers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
some of the best games this gen have been multiplatform. I'd love to see more.

Top Bottom