• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami_Sama

A few days ago had a new patent registered from Nintendo, which looked like a new handheld. However, I think is too early for a new console, maybe next year.

I just dont want to see a 1DS, seriuosly they dropped the 3D effect from 2DS, drop the two screens from 2DS, and we have a Nintendo Tablet.

I hope that this new thing is related to the QoL thing, not an add on to Wii U, like Expansion pack, 64 DD.

Tagg9

I suspect it's a peripheral for the Wii U, which by itself would be hilarious. The console is already too expensive - the last thing Nintendo needs is another prohibitively costly add-on.

Why do I think this? Firstly, North American developers will only have been informed of new hardware if it directly changes the way games are made on the existing hardware - this rules out console/portable revisions entirely (unless it's a DS -> DSi change). The other alternative is that the new hardware is a completely new console, but this doesn't make a lot of sense in terms of the lifetime of the 3DS and Wii U (Nintendo's R&D costs were also quite a bit lower last year IIRC).

So why a peripheral? They only just came up with QoL a few months ago, and they still need a stopgap (just like the balance board). I realize they said they are completely skipping wearables, but I don't believe that to be true.

oatmeal

Banned
ive been trying to find the forum where the fusion rumor was birthed but Ive come to realise how shitty google is at returning specific results instead of a flood of news regurgitating sites.

I remember this image(which I believe is fake itself) being edited to say Nintendo fusion along with a bunch of others.

seAilUk.jpg
I want that to be real based on the logo alone. That's some GC and N64-level shit

if this rumor is actually true, it would explain why Nintendo didn't decide to show up to any gaming events at all this year. All hands on deck are needed if they are to design and release new hardware so soon after one that they already released.

However, I will take this with a massive grain of salt. These kinds of things don't happen every day. E3 2014 will be interesting that is for sure.

javac

But there is content. WiiU content. Kinect content. The problem is no one wants it.

The games on the Wii U aren't made with motion controls in mind generally. A few games have motion control support like Pikmin, but that's due to the gamepad being a Jack of all trades, just like mobile phones really. And that's out of technology sake and not chasing the motion controls dream and backwards compatibility. It has NFC too for similar reasons. And even then games that benefit from the Wii remote work 100% with just the gamepad. Wii U hardware and software selling badly due to its inclusion of motion sensors makes no sense. It's not the focus of this system. Isn't that why people say the Wii was a fad anyways? Because Nintendo themselves went in a different direction with the successor?

Kinect exclusive content sucks. When something good came out, like Dance Central it sold well. Kinect on the 360 was one of the fastest selling consumer products if I'm correct at the time. The Xbox One comes with Kinect out of the box, so it's not a peripheral any more. Sure many are adverse to the Xbox One due to its inclusion but that's less to do with the tech and more to do with the price. Not everyone wants motion controls, but that goes for everything in life really. Rumour was PS4 was supposed to come with the camera too but it got dropped due to price being a priority.

MarkusRJR

I'd kill for a 3DS revision that'd make it look like a small XL. The XL is way too big and top heavy as a portable device, and the OG 3DS is too uncomfortable (sharp edges and corners) and poorly built (creaks when light pressure applied). I'd love for a middle ground.

Bring back the DSi and DSi XL build quality! :)

Was going to buy a Wii U saturday...guess not...This is seriously BS.

I'd kill for a 3DS revision that'd make it look like a small XL. The XL is way too big and top heavy as a portable device, and the OG 3DS is too uncomfortable (sharp edges and corners) and poorly built (creaks when light pressure applied). I'd love for a middle ground.

Bring back the DSi and DSi XL build quality! :)

I'd buy a 3DS with 2DS ergonomics. I have large hands and it's the most comfortable handheld I've ever used. But It's obvious that some games clearly were designed with 3D in mind. Yeah I get the argument but one of the reasons I hate the Vita is that my hand size means I can't use it more than 30 minutes.

I'd buy a 3DS with 2DS ergonomics. I have large hands and it's the most comfortable handheld I've ever used. But It's obvious that some games clearly were designed with 3D in mind. Yeah I get the argument but one of the reasons I hate the Vita is that my hand size means I can't use it more than 30 minutes.

There won't be a Wii U successor, c'mon.

Hmm really? This ign rumor

RomanceDawn

So, I have been thinking about all that non-wearable and quality of life stuff and the only thing that came into my mind was faith.

Well, it’s the only thing I could think of which doesn’t need be worn and can enhance some people’s life.

What I think Nintendo is going to do? Build a church, yeah you heard right, the church of Nintendo.

So it goes this way, everyone with a Nintendo-Network-ID is automatically baptized and thus a member of the N-church,
which obliges you to visit a special new area in the Miiverse, the so called Uhope.

You have to visit this place at least once in the week, or otherwise
all your digital content shall be wiped from your console, irretrievable.

Well, now since the church has your attention you are obliged to missionize
as many people as possible.

For your effort thou shall be rewarded with discounted games in the e-shop.

But the ultimate purpose of the church is of course the gaming in the afterlife.

As reward for a lifelong membership, the church promises you all your long wished Nintendo games,
such as a new Wave Race, a new F-Zero, a 2D Metroid and nothing less but a Zelda game without any handholding and actual exploration.

You only need to have strong faith and well…be dead to experience all this wonder and bliss.

OK I know we are having a serious discussion now but this had me in tears. Especially with that sheep GIF posted afterward.

todd360

It would be a safe move to not buy any 3ds system or wii u until after e3 at this point. Possible new hardware revisions and maybe hopefully a price drop on wii u.

Oidisco

Generally rumors come true way too often in this industry. And if it's possibly going to kill my Wii U in a matter of months why should I invest in it right now?

Some rumours do come true, but this wont be one of them. We might, might get a 3DS redesign, but that's it.
Do you really think Nintendo would reveal a new console and not do a traditional press conference?

It would be a safe move to not buy any 3ds system or wii u until after e3 at this point. Possible new hardware revisions and maybe hopefully a price drop on wii u.

As a rule of thumb, I don't buy any hardware in the "hype period" before E3. There's always revisions, price drops, new bundles, etc.

Some rumours do come true, but this wont be one of them. We might, might get a 3DS redesign, but that's it.
Do you really think Nintendo would reveal a new console and not do a traditional press conference?

given the relative fiasco of the reveal of the WiiU, I can totally see them produce a pre-recorded event for presenting a new hardware...

edit : I totally agree that the only possibility would be a 3DS revision though.
Or it's that QOL thing and I don't give a fuck.

I remember when I was a kid, people actually took a little more care to at least make their anonymous sources for unsubstantiated rumors sound legit. "My uncle works at Nintendo," they would say, or some variation on that.

Now? Now apparently the rumor-mill runs on word of mouth from "a source that used to work at Nintendo, and a third-party source". That is, two anonymous sources who don't even work at Nintendo. That just blows my mind; apparently your made-up rumors don't even have to have made-up sources that sound meaningful now, you can just cite anyone and call it a day.

Now if you'll excuse me, my friend who used to work at the Nintendo Power-Tip Hotline is going to tell me all about their new console as soon as his shift at the Jack-in-the-Box is done.

Mariolee

I remember when I was a kid, people actually took a little more care to at least make their anonymous sources for unsubstantiated rumors sound legit. "My uncle works at Nintendo," they would say, or some variation on that.

Now? Now apparently the rumor-mill runs on word of mouth from "a source that used to work at Nintendo, and a third-party source". That is, two anonymous sources who don't even work at Nintendo. That just blows my mind; apparently your made-up rumors don't even have to have made-up sources that sound meaningful now, you can just cite anyone and call it a day.

Now if you'll excuse me, my friend who used to work at the Nintendo Power-Tip Hotline is going to tell me all about their new console as soon as his shift at the Jack-in-the-Box is done.

Jack-in-the-Box obviously being the new name for their Quality of Life console.
It's supposed to be ironic.

Yagami_Sama

Honestly, I just expect that Nintendo don't appear with something like Kinect or some virtual reality thing, like the Virtual Boy.

I feel bad for the kid who did have a uncle who worked at Nintendo.

It's not going to be related to Wii U. They are releasing a Mario Kart 8 bundle literally days before E3.

You've all got a point there (Considering the response haha!) but I'm just cautious is all. I'd really like to get one, I even have accessories and games picked out but I'm just worried this might be something that would harm my purchase decision you know? Maybe even a price drop or revision that makes it more appealing. I want that Zelda Edition but it's threw a wrench in my plans.

This as well.

Oidisco

You've all got a point there (Considering the response haha!) but I'm just cautious is all. I'd really like to get one, I even have accessories and games picked out but I'm just worried this might be something that would harm my purchase decision you know? Maybe even a price drop or revision that makes it more appealing. I want that Zelda Edition but it's threw a wrench in my plans.

This as well.

I would advise waiting til after E3, just to be sure there isn't a revision or price drop announced.

I do hope there is a revision though, just to see what they'll do!

Shiggy

We actually have the European and Korean patent and trademark offices, which revealed that new hardware was registered. Problem is that we don't exactly know what was registered. So it's not as if this rumour is very far-fetched.

breakfuss

Well, damn. I'm definitely still buying Mario Kart to get the free game, but not so sure what do about the console. Will probably hold off now for a little longer.

If Nintendo were really revealing new hardware, even they would have to realise a live press conference would be the best place to do this

I doubt there will be any new hardware other than a possible 3ds revision or a gamepadless wii u sku. Anything else would be stupid unless its some crazy unrelated QoL thing. What I would like to see is gba and ds virtual console for 3ds. Won't happen tho because that makes sense!

DrBo42

Highly doubt a new platform, but maybe a new SKU.

Even if they launched new hardware they'd have to deal with the rage of people owning a dead console. In addition, people would be hesitant to buy the new hardware based on what happened with this one. If I were Nintendo I would ride this out for maybe 2 more years and then offer a substantial discount on the new console for Wii U owners.

We actually have the European and Korean patent and trademark offices, which revealed that new hardware was registered. Problem is that we don't exactly know what was registered. So it's not as if this rumour is very far-fetched.

The fact that Nintendo is working on new hardware isn't really newsworthy. Even if the Wii-U had been a roaring success, they would be doing basic fact-finding and early design work on their next console already. The fact that it's virtually guaranteed to have an abbreviated lifespan (at least compared to the venerable Gen 7 consoles) makes it a pretty sure bet that Nintendo's into the prototyping phases.

And that's kind of the problem: it's such a nothing rumor. At this point if you don't actually have substantial information, just saying, "Psst! I heard Nintendo's working on new hardware!" is completely meaningless. I mean, I'd certainly hope so, wouldn't you? Otherwise the hundreds of employees and very expensive facilities they reserve exclusively for hardware development would seem pretty silly!

Cygnus X-1

The market can not support individual Iterarions of each Nintendo franchise anymore. They simply can not develop two different Mario Karts every generation anymore. Especially when the console space is shrinking and getting closer to diminishing returns.

It makes sense to launch console and portable machines that play the same software. How big would the IPad / Apple TV market be if it required individual software skus for each.

It really should be a clear decision at this point. Especially with a new platform existing parallel.

And this is consistent with Nintendo's new HQ office that merges handheld and home systems departments and the desire to develop an unified OS. And Super Smash Bros is the first test to see how it works.

Knux

Neo Member
Ever since Nintendo talked about integrating WiiU tech into another device, i was speculating how such a system would work...
I am going maybe a bit far here, but i think the most logical conclusion would be that Nintendo is planning to show a portable Wii U.

Evidence:

"In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems."

"Last year Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams."

"In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems."
- Satoru Iwata

Iwatas statements imply that they plan to reuse the WiiU Architecture in future systems to allow easy cross platform development.

This gives us 3 scenarios:

• The WiiU architecture will be used in WiiU's successor platform. This does not make sense as the WiiU Hardware is already substantially outdated. Launching a system in 2017 with essentially the same specs would make it hopelessly underpowered to fit the needs at that time (UHD etc), even if overclocked. This would be the fourth generation that uses gamecubes gekko-chip, and i refuse to believe that Nintendo is that ignorant to consumer needs.
  • The WiiU Architecture will be used in the QOL platform. Entirely possible but the platform would than have to be designed in a way that WiiU games can be played easily, thus sporting at least a gamepad which renders this option a bit farfetched. This can not entirely ruled out, as we know nothing about the QOL Platform other than that its not a wearable.
  • The WiiU architecture will be reused in a handheld device.

This last option makes the most sense and I tell you why:

• Technology has now progressed enough to allow adapting the architecture to handheld format. (See Nvidia's Tegra K1, which seems to be at least on par with the WiiU in terms of power). It is not out of the question that AMD managed to develop a low-cost low-power SOC on some advanced process that would enable the chip to be used in a handheld system.
  • The WiiU was thus purposely designed underpowered with a low clocked CPU to allow this in the future. Nintendo back then did not expect such a backlash to it's lack of power due to experience with the Wii.
  • A high amount of first party games implement off-screen play which would result in games playing not much differently than on a home console. Fonts, HUD etc are already adapted to be readable on smaller screens.
  • When such a handheld launches, there would already be a substantial library of games available, with all the classics like new super mario bros, mario kart and smash bros., thus avoiding a software drought at launch like the 3DS or the WiiU experienced.

In my optinion there are two possble configuration for a portable WiiU:

Nintendo creates a fully portable WiiU handheld, i would call this the DSU.
- Top Screen: 1280 x 720 pixel
- Bottom Screen: 854 x 480 pixel
- Games are download-only and are stored on an SD card.
- System will be able to synchronize with a WiiU Console to transfer save-states, miis etc.

The bottom screen would act essentially the same as WiiUs gamepad screen for games that display unique content.
Not all games would be fully compatible, for example those who need to be played with a Wii remote.

WiiU integrated into a slightly larger version of the gamepad.
  • would work and look the same as the wiiu gamepad, but includes all the hardware
  • software is download only
  • The streaming chip would "stream in reverse" to the TV. Its possible that this would not allow to stream fullhd content due to the wiiU gamepad streamingchips only allowing for 1280x720.
  • The TV would have a small dongle on the HDMI port that receives the gamepad stream.

• All in all i think the options above are the most plausible scenario if Nintendo indeed announces a new system at E3.
  • Announcing a WiiU Successor is a pipedream. The WiiU has not been long enough on the market and would go against everything Nintendo has done so far.
  • Announcing a 3DS Successor would be weird too as the 3DS has still plenty of lifetime left.
  • It would also be too early to talk about the QOL platform, as Nintendo supposedly only started development on the system in January. No way they have something that can be shown after such a short time.

The other possibilities would of course be the already mentioned simple 3DS redesign and/or gamepad redesign.
If the E3 announcement is not the DSU or the WiiUPad I think Nintendo still should release such a device in the future as it would vastly increase WiiU's user base and give 3rd party developers a compelling incentive to develop WiiU Games...

All of the above is pure speculation though...There is currently no known AMD chip which would have enough grunt with a low enough power consumption to enable a portable WiiU or even any evidence that AMD is able to make such a chip. AMD could have developed a custom hardware in cooperation with nintendo but i am not sure about their readiness to spend enough money to make this happen. Nintendo tends to be very stingy in this regard.

Worst case is that Nintendo announces once again nothing, as tends to happen fairly often when the hypetrain is at full speed.

thoughts?

Fredrik

I'm not falling for this. I want them to reveal new hardware but I don't think they will, not this soon. They would need to be well above XB1/PS4 powerwise and yet fully backwards compatible for it to make any sense at all, no baby steps this time, and I don't think that's possible. I guess they could show a mockup and some theoretical figures, maybe some target render too, and launch it in 2016, but Nintendo usually like to hold their cards close to their chest so others won't have time to copy them so that wouldn't make sense from their point of view.
Nope, this has to be fake.

watershed

Banned
And this is consistent with Nintendo's new HQ office that merges handheld and home systems departments and the desire to develop an unified OS. And Super Smash Bros is the first test to see how it works.

Isn't Smash Bros basically two separate games? It seems like they are two Smash Bros games that will feature some kind of cross communication. I get the sense that making these 2 versions of Smash has taken more resources not less.

Cygnus X-1

Actually it's about 900 million but again you're ignoring the fact that the people who made it the success it was weren't there before the Wii nor did they stay after. The console itself was a fad. Regardless of it selling well for 4-5 years, the populace that made it the success it was stayed for one reason: waggle. Once that wore off they exited the stage never to return. Where did they go? Tablets and mobile.

The sales of the Gamecube was about 20-25 million? The sales of the Wii was 100. The sales of the Wii U will fall within the 20 million range. Why was the Wii so successful? For the exact reason that it was a fad.

This is stupid. Nobody cares if it was a fad or not. Being able to sell 100 millions of a piece of electronic and 900 million games is extraordinary.

Shiggy

The fact that Nintendo is working on new hardware isn't really newsworthy. Even if the Wii-U had been a roaring success, they would be doing basic fact-finding and early design work on their next console already. The fact that it's virtually guaranteed to have an abbreviated lifespan (at least compared to the venerable Gen 7 consoles) makes it a pretty sure bet that Nintendo's into the prototyping phases.

And that's kind of the problem: it's such a nothing rumor. At this point if you don't actually have substantial information, just saying, "Psst! I heard Nintendo's working on new hardware!" is completely meaningless. I mean, I'd certainly hope so, wouldn't you? Otherwise the hundreds of employees and very expensive facilities they reserve exclusively for hardware development would seem pretty silly!

It's that they already registered hardware designs, not that they are prototyping something that may or may not emerge.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yes, everybody understands that ARM is taking over in most fields because raw processing power is less important than power draw in most growth fields for processors today. The places it hasn't are wall-powered systems where raw processing power is more important, and in those areas (where ARM generally isn't a viable competitor) x86 has driven PowerPC almost entirely out of the market, for a variety of reasons.
Why beat around the bush? The places x86 holds strong are places where compute density per se is of no importance and where the ability to run legacy desktop software at improved performances are of greater value.

And again, I am confident you are aware of all of this, which makes your attempts to "figure out" what the poster meant several pages back extremely questionable.
My "extremely questionable motives" were merely an attempt to make the poster realize what a meaningless metric he had chosen to go by. A processor made in 2011 is more modern than a processor made in 2003 - whoopty do. A POWER8 made in 2013 is more modern than anything current consoles have, and accidentially outperforms anything x86 currently has in the 'sheer per-thread performance' domain. So let's put a POWER8 design in every new gaming device, shall we?

The 'modern' angle is bullocks. Embedded designs are judged by a bunch of factors, the leading of which are normally BOM, TDP, projected availability. Surely using a desktop PC architecture in a console has certain benefits, but those are all tradeoffs. So why not delve into those, instead of chanting the same 'ol 'PowerPC is not modern, la-la-la-la' ?

I bet these 'rumours' are just from that keyword in the website's source code.

There's no doubt in my mind that this sparked all the rumors.

People are going to be disappointed if they still think a new console/handheld is going to be announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom