• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-phonk

Banned
I used to be in the "nintendo has to drop the gamepad" crowd, but since I bought a Wii U I think the gamepad is it's best feature, even if games don't use it.

Offscreen play is amazing, and I prefer to play with the gamepad even when i'm in front of my tv.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
3DSU. With WiiU gamepad functionality built in, so you can stream to the 3DS. Then release a cut down WiiU sku with no gamepad, but you can buy the full WiiU gamepad separately in stores, or use the new 3DSU

PayaV87

Hey it's the Nintendo 4U

Cr81ltH.jpg

Hey, it's One Nintendo 4U!

d9b

Banned
This rumor is totally legit. My uncles second cousins friends father works at Nintendo. Trust me guys.
Hey my friend's girlfriend's brother's cousins sister in law is a friend of your uncle's second cousins' friend's father who works for Nintendo. Double confirmed!

deleted

It doesn't make sense for them to announce a successor to either the Wii U or the 3DS at this point. Next year maybe and even that depending on whether they manage to recover the Wii U with Mario Kart, SSB and Zelda.

I would even count out a third pillar, since QoL seems so be in a state where it's to early to show - it could take longer than the announcements of their next console. Which leaves a new SKU of an existing hardware. 3DSi or 3DSt (t for tablet) maybe. Maybe not.

I don't think we will see any of that.

MCV have heard it too now

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/new-nintendo-hardware-for-e3-reports-claim/0131914

Two sources online have claimed that Nintendo will announce some sort of new hardware at E3 – the same thing that MCV has been told in recent days.

IGN's Peer Schneider said in a podcast that: “Nintendo are absolutely going to show new hardware this year, there is no doubt in my mind. I've heard it from multiple people now. I've heard it from someone who used to be at Nintendo, I've heard it from somebody on the third-party front".

The site then adds that, much like MCV, it remains uncertain as to what form the hardware will take. Are we talking a Wii U successor? A new handheld? Or even a 'quality of health' health machine? No-one seems certain at the moment.

Apart from Videogamer, that is, which claims that a source has told it that “games compatible with the hardware will also be playable at the show”. It reckons the new machine WILL be a Wii U successor and will come in two parts – one for the home and one for gaming on the move.

Nintendo isn't holding an E3 press conference this year but will instead release a video on June 10th.

The market can not support individual Iterarions of each Nintendo franchise anymore. They simply can not develop two different Mario Karts every generation anymore. Especially when the console space is shrinking and getting closer to diminishing returns.

It makes sense to launch console and portable machines that play the same software. How big would the IPad / Apple TV market be if it required individual software skus for each.

It really should be a clear decision at this point. Especially with a new platform existing parallel.
Totally agree, I also think the same, having both the Wii/DS then moving to Wiiu/3DS really stretched Nintendo development team to its limit and made their Software output decrease and not to mention expensive. Having a one unified development platform will save them a lot.

antonz

Its honestly time for Nintendo to be getting the word out on a new Handheld. 3DS is drowning worldwide and its only going to get worse. Smash Bros might provide a boost but it wont be enough to offset the constant decline.

Problem is Nintendo needs to do something magical and fantastic with its next handheld. It needs to standout more than just as a Nintendo game player. We are seeing that is not enough anymore for the handheld market.

romulus91

they can not afford to dilute their message any further thats for sure .... so whatever it is, it better make sense to Mr Smith and his 4 kids

kubus

Oh god that videogamer article is so dumb. That Fusion shit is obviously fake, how could they even THINK it's related to that?

Now a bunch of sites will copy videogamer (see MCV) and news will spread that Nintendo is announcing a new console/handheld hybrid - the "Nintendo Fusion" - and when nothing happens at E3 everyone will be disappointed and Nintendo "has lost E3".

Youarealreadydead.jpg

AniHawk

Its honestly time for Nintendo to be getting the word out on a new Handheld. 3DS is drowning worldwide and its only going to get worse. Smash Bros might provide a boost but it wont be enough to offset the constant decline.

Problem is Nintendo needs to do something magical and fantastic with its next handheld. It needs to standout more than just as a Nintendo game player. We are seeing that is not enough anymore for the handheld market.

i don't know what software they'd have for the machine for another year, let alone another two. smash bros, pokemon z or gen3 remake, majora's mask, and...? they already played all their franchise cards. if they had good original ideas to push the existing hardware they sure didn't think of them at the right time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bear in mind that the last couple of hardware reveals have been pretty slow burns - the WiiU took two E3s to properly be 'launched', and the Wii was announced a year in advance.

BratmanDu

What about a new handheld, that also functions as a gamepad for wiiU, a gamepad you can take with you, enabling N to sell gamepadless wiiUs (as well a wiiUless gamepads?

Remote wiiU play, and internal memory to take some wiiU VC games with you, in addition to having it's own (single screen) games? And for existing gamepads, there is a port on the bottom - maybe we get a plug in to enable remote play/memory to take VC games with you if you wanted? I know - I'm crazy.

AniHawk

The market can not support individual Iterarions of each Nintendo franchise anymore. They simply can not develop two different Mario Karts every generation anymore. Especially when the console space is shrinking and getting closer to diminishing returns.

It makes sense to launch console and portable machines that play the same software. How big would the IPad / Apple TV market be if it required individual software skus for each.

It really should be a clear decision at this point. Especially with a new platform existing parallel.

so smash bros. could be a test run at their upcoming strategy. very similar games with different qualities so you're not totally missing out if you get one over the other.

I really don't see them launching a successor so soon, or even announcing it, but....

Fusion type device where the home console and the handheld are tied. No more dual screens for the handheld. Home console is backwards compatible with Wii U games, with the handheld serving as the gamepad, with the ability to sync with the home console. Both run the same architecture/structure so games released have two versions, one for the home console and one for the handheld. However, you can also stream the console version to the handheld either locally like the gamepad or through a network like with the Vita's remote play. Virtual Console games are playable on both interchangeably with cross save between them, same with retail games.

The home console has good specs. Not top of the line, but very comparable to PS4/XBO. 8GB of RAM, good processor/video card. Ethernet port built in (lol). Still doesn't play movies, but it doesn't have to. It's not trying to be that. 500GB hard drive built in, upgradable by the user. Incentive for digital purchases by offering discounts when you buy the console and portable version of a game. So instead of $60 for the console and $40 for the handheld at retail, You can get them both on the eShop for $80. Loyalty discounts for repeat customers, and those who gift a lot of games to friends, until a maximum of 10% every eshop purchase.

NNIDs are still used, so all the digital games (at least the Wii U ones) and Virtual Console games move forward with you. They mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy charge another $1 to convert your old VC games (both 3DS and Wii U) but since all Nintendo will be doing is a unified platform from this point out, it'll be the last conversion charge, and the platforms after that will use the same library, so no more waiting for the same games to get released for the fourth time.

Sigh.... A man can dream

Okay, most of those DS models were designed to replace each other except the XL. The Lite replaced the original. The DSi is subjective. It was meant to be the next step introducing front and back cameras and DSi ware. In my mind, it was meant to replace the Lite. But they made so many Lites by the time the DSi was out and it was cheaper, so of course it kept selling. It eventually started getting phased out when the XL was introduced though.

Right now we have a cheap base "3DS" in the 2DS and a premium model in the
the 3DS XL. The original model is basically phased out, though like the Lite during DSi's time on shelves, you can probably find it new in stores, though hard to find.

They would either be needing to replace one of those or get rid of one to make room for a new one and not cause saturation and confusion. The 2DS is a great cheap little handheld and seems to be selling well to an audience who wants to jump in for less cost. The XL is kind of a standard in Nintendo handheld hardware now, so why would they get rid of that either?

I say a 3DS revision to replace one of the current ones (nothing special, cost cutting) or a new Wii U sku or revision. Given they have been phasing out the 8GB, the 32GB is still rather expensive, the Wii U is the system not selling well and the 3DS has had a few models... it makes sense it would be the Wii U in my mind.

I don't believe it mainly because it would mean that Nintendo had learned something and I refuse to believe that. They're too prideful now to admit mistakes.

If it is true and it's a console then they'd better bring it in every way possible. They better have online figured out, they better have the fastest processor, best graphics card, the most RAM. They better not leave one part of the new system open to criticism or it'll be the Wii U all over again.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I feel like that source is just running around screaming NINTENDO IS GONNA TOTALLY REVEAL A NEW SYSTEM, GUYS! And anybody who wants to report on it does.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I totally see them launching a new system replacing the WiiU. it has failed, now it's time to move on.

So what year will the games be ready?

If they launch new "hardware" it will be a revision to what's already out there, or an accessory for current hardware. Maybe a blood glucose monitor for 3DS.

antonz

i don't know what software they'd have for the machine for another year, let alone another two. smash bros, pokemon z or gen3 remake, majora's mask, and...? they already played all their franchise cards. if they had good original ideas to push the existing hardware they sure didn't think of them at the right time.

And that is another good point. Nintendo really pushed the development envelope hard on the 3DS to get all the big stuff out ASAP to try and build momentum. At this point for another year or two they would just be riding on sequels to the big names already out and that is not going to sustain or build sales.

orioto

Good Art™
[UOTE=Zeyphersan;110333644]I really don't see them launching a successor so soon, or even announcing it, but....

Fusion type device where the home console and the handheld are tied. No more dual screens for the handheld. Home console is backwards compatible with Wii U games, with the handheld serving as the gamepad, with the ability to sync with the home console. Both run the same architecture/structure so games released have two versions, one for the home console and one for the handheld. However, you can also stream the console version to the handheld either locally like the gamepad or through a network like with the Vita's remote play. Virtual Console games are playable on both interchangeably.[/QUOTE]

Almost my version but the most usefull and what would make the most sense business wise is this, even if it's challenging technically :

_Release a new WiiU, smaller gamepad, maybe a less advance/expensive connection tech (doesn't the vita achieve a good enough remote streaming with more casual techs ???).
_update the online ecosystem to modern standards
_reveal a new portable (3ds has ran its course biggest games were released and the sales are dying). It's a 3ds xl with better ergonomics, top screen is 2d, rez of the gamepad. Bottom screen is the same, widescreen to but smaller.
Both consoles play the same games, except portable version gamepad rez and smaller assets (due to size of games, carts...). Dat means you can play mk8 and mario 3d world on it, but also the new incredible zelda (metroid also ?). That also means, of course, that portable hits can profit the WiiU. A new shiny monster hunter is annonced for exemple. Animal crossing, pokemens... Etc...

Eventually (i'd like that) rebrand the WiiU. Something like NESin NESout for both consoles.

You saved WiiU and now have one only ecosystem to focus on and release huge nintendo games (and work on making them more ambitious).

Peru

I really don't see them launching a successor so soon, or even announcing it, but....

Fusion type device where the home console and the handheld are tied. No more dual screens for the handheld. Home console is backwards compatible with Wii U games, with the handheld serving as the gamepad, with the ability to sync with the home console. Both run the same architecture/structure so games released have two versions, one for the home console and one for the handheld. However, you can also stream the console version to the handheld either locally like the gamepad or through a network like with the Vita's remote play. Virtual Console games are playable on both interchangeably with cross save between them, same with retail games.

The home console has good specs. Not top of the line, but very comparable to PS4/XBO. 8GB of RAM, good processor/video card. Ethernet port built in (lol). Still doesn't play movies, but it doesn't have to. It's not trying to be that. 500GB hard drive built in, upgradable by the user. Incentive for digital purchases by offering discounts when you buy the console and portable version of a game. So instead of $60 for the console and $40 for the handheld at retail, You can get them both on the eShop for $80. Loyalty discounts for repeat customers, and those who gift a lot of games to friends, until a maximum of 10% every eshop purchase.

NNIDs are still used, so all the digital games (at least the Wii U ones) and Virtual Console games move forward with you. They mayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy charge another $1 to convert your old VC games (both 3DS and Wii U) but since all Nintendo will be doing is a unified platform from this point out, it'll be the last conversion charge, and the platforms after that will use the same library, so no more waiting for the same games to get released for the fourth time.

Sigh.... A man can dream

This makes a lot of sense - in a way an emergency move to save the Wii U's library and further production of games because now the software will also be pushed to a presumably larger (in JP at least) handheld crowd. A Wii U Portable. I think something like this will happen, at least I hope so, but I did not think it would happen so soon and thought possibly not until a new console could be built to share games and OS with a new handheld.

AniHawk

Forgot to say I'd like to see GAMEBOY return. But you know, people will take issue with the fact it says "Boy". Crazy world.
eh, i don't think so. every console/handheld name is pretty dumb, and game boy was pretty relevant for a lot of people, not to mention big in america for two decades.

i know some people think that it's a dead brand, but it wasn't one that petered out because it was unsuccessful, but one nintendo axed when it still had potential.

but maybe it has been too long, like sony bringing out a series of mobile devices and calling them walkmans.

It should but that's not going to happen. If Nintendo was right ine their shoes, they'd developp a Nintendo ecosystem. To avoid brand confusion they'd sell Nintendo games. You buy the Nintendo game, it works on every Nintendo SKU. Much like how iPod/iPhone/iPad/Apple TV works. They'd need to developp only one iteration for their ecosystem, which means more games, more sales, lower developpement and marketing cost. No need to worry for a bombing SKU.

But no, in the mind of Nintendo, what will happen is unified account system, and at best cross buy on VC titles and maybe price reduction if you buy two SKU of the same game.

wsippel

Banned
What would a non-wearable Qol be?
Somebody pointed out after the slide was released that it could be AAL (ambient assisted living). As AAL is based on a network of sensors placed in your home, it's obviously "non-wearable", and improving the quality of life is the main goal of the technology. Many believe that AAL will be huge, and a lot of companies of all sizes are working in the field, but there's not really much out there yet. And one of the biggest current issues is user interaction, an area where Nintendo certainly has quite a bit of expertise.

JoeM86

It should but that's not going to happen. If Nintendo was right ine their shoes, they'd developp a Nintendo ecosystem. To avoid brand confusion they'd sell Nintendo games. You buy the Nintendo game, it works on every Nintendo SKU. Much like how iPod/iPhone/iPad/Apple TV works. They'd need to developp only one iteration for their ecosystem, which means more games, more sales, lower developpement and marketing cost. No need to worry for a bombing SKU.

But no, in the mind of Nintendo, what will happen is unified account system, and at best cross buy on VC titles and maybe price reduction if you buy two SKU of the same game.

They have actually said exactly this recently for their next handheld and console. They'll obviously be different devices with different specs, but will run similar architecture for easy porting/sharing of assets and have the same OS etc.

Videogamer say they heard something too. The op need updating.

VideoGamer is saying they heard the Fusion rumour which is almost certainly false.

IGN don't really believe the rumour is trustworthy else they'd have made a post about this. This whole thing is spiralling out of control.

69wpm

Somebody pointed out after the slide was released that it could be AAL (ambient assisted living). As AAL is based on a network of sensors placed in your home, it's obviously "non-wearable", and improving the quality of life is the main goal of the technology. Many believe that AAL will be huge, and a lot of companies of all sizes are working in the field, but there's not really much out there yet. And one of the biggest current issues is user interaction, an area where Nintendo certainly has quite a bit of expertise.

That's sounds great, but why show that at E3? It's all about the games over there, except if AAL will interact heavily with your gaming device.

They have actually said exactly this recently for their next handheld and console. They'll obviously be different devices with different specs, but will run similar architecture for easy porting/sharing of assets and have the same OS etc.

Yep, so then again useless babysteps. They'll be basically doing what Sony did with PS3 and Vita. To be fair, I think they shouldn't even care about specs. It's not like they cared with Wii and Wii U. They should just be like: "Allright we're alone, so we'll just have the same scalable architecture for our hardware"
They could have either both handheld and home console with x86 or ARM. Just run the handheld games at 480p and the consome game at 1080p. That should do the trick. As for the horsepower, you can already get better performance than Wii U in a handheld.

JoeM86

Yep, so then again useless babysteps. They'll be basically doing what Sony did with PS3 and Vita. To be fair, I think they shouldn't even care about specs. It's not like they cared with Wii and Wii U. They should just be like: "Allright we're alone, so we'll just have the same scalable architecture for our hardware"
They could have either both handheld and home console with x86 or ARM. Just run the handheld games at 480p and the consome game at 1080p. That should do the trick. As for the horsepower, you can already get better performance than Wii U in a handheld.

Not at a low cost you can't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom