• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHale

So Nintendo will announce their true next-gen? :O

BTW, it's not "ditching" Wii U really. This new thing won't probably come out till late 2015. So we're still getting most important titles for Wii U.

Revealing a new console 18 months before launch? That would kill WiiU sales completely. Why risk the sales of those on the fence waiting for MK8 or SMB to buy one?

You don't need to reveal a console so soon nowadays.

Taker666

No, wait. People here is seriously suggesting that these rumours are being spread to limit Wii U sales when MK8 comes out, because journalists don't want N to sell? That there are third party devs who are doing it because...because...reasons?

No, seriously, tell me you're just joking. This sounds way too much tinfoil hat-esque. Please, tell me you're joking.

It's true..my Uncle at Nintendo told me.

More likely it's not the sites trying to damage image or reputation, but some third party publisher representative "leaker" who wants to burn Nintendo for some perceived or real slight.

Nintendo should address the rumor by saying " we have six unannounced original projects for wiiu and 8 for 3ds, 4 are eshop games, and a 3ds revision planned for e3." Put the "new hardware" rumors to bed.

- Nintendo isn't going to announce 14 new IPs in a year, let alone a single conference.
- Strong rumors of new Nintendo hardware would also hurt PS4/XboxOne/Vita sales
- It realistically is about time for the next DS announcement. Sales have peaked and all of the major franchises have hit.
- If Nintendo was going to bail on Wii U, now would also be the ideal time, but I'm thinking they wait until next year to reveal, with a 2016 release date.

hughesta

Banned
All the Wii U owners complaining about killing the Wii U too early will line up to buy this new system on day one anyway.
I certainly wouldn't. Why announce a new console when multiple high-profile exclusives to the console don't even have firm release dates?

Scrawnton

Lol. Killing is a system while it's not even 2 years old is the best way to make people to not buy the next one.

I was day one every Nintendo system and handheld since GameCube. If Nintendo killed the Wii u earlier than 4 holidays on the market, I will not buy the next console out of protest.

If Nintendo killed the Wii U to go handheld only, then I will day one buy that handheld because Nintendo focusing on only one handheld system is the best scenario for them going forward.

JoeM86

If they make it backwards compatible and have the strongest launch of all time, I can see it being negligible

No, it would still be a huge uproar. It would be damaging to Nintendo...severely damaging.

I'm a huge Nintendo supporter, but if they do that, I'd be calling for Iwata's head...that's how monumentally idiotic the idea is.

More likely it's not the sites trying to damage image or reputation, but some third party publisher representative "leaker" who wants to burn Nintendo for some perceived or real slight.

Nintendo should address the rumor by saying " we have six unannounced original projects for wiiu and 8 for 3ds, 4 are eshop games, and a 3ds revision planned for e3." Put the "new hardware" rumors to bed.

And then we'll have people saying that there were no surprises at E3. No. Let things actually be a surprise for once.

Don't trust IGN(not that anyone does), they thought Mount Wario from Mario Kart was the retro track Sherbet Land, ahahahahaha.

Peer talks a lot too and it means little.

Retro's game a new IP, etc...

Yeah, supposedly they heard this from "sources" but if these are their "sources", uh huh...

wsippel

Banned
Will they announce the Wii U successor at E3?

Who knows?

Should they announce the Wii U successor at E3?

Absolutely. It's do or die time. They need to get some new hardware into the market and try to ignite sales ASAP.

All the Wii U owners complaining about killing the Wii U too early will line up to buy this new system on day one anyway.
Absolutely not. Announcing a Wii U successor now wouldn't ignite shit. It would mean they'll sell pretty much no more consoles and less games for at least 18 months. Their remaining stock would be worthless, all games currently in development for the system would bomb even harder, they'd lose consumer trust - there'd be zero benefit whatsoever. It wouldn't help Nintendo, it wouldn't help the few remaining 3rd parties, and it wouldn't help gamers.

beril

Honestly I'm terrified that Nintendo will rush out a 3DS successor early. I want to make tons more games for the 3DS but I'm too slow...

I don't think it will happen yet though. But rumours like this are worrying. It would be risky when the 3DS is the only thing making them money right now, but at the same time it's sales has slowed down, there's not a lot of big upcoming games announced, and certain aspects of the hardware is making it seem a bit dated compared the market as a whole. I think the resolution is perfectly fine for a gaming device in that range but when smartphone manufacturers decided that you need 1080p on a 5 inch screen regardless of hardware power the comparison becomes rather strange. Similarly the lack of middleware support is holding back some developers, so I could see a scenario where they decide to go for short cycle, but I really hope not.

NHale

Please be a new handheld so that I can be completely disinterested in it...I'm tired of Nintendo hardware falling into "half generational" slots like the Wii or Wii U...and that's where it has to end up if it's a proper console...

I'd so much rather them announce they will be making third party software for the other two...

Can you imagine the meltdowns if Nintendo went nuts and announced a home console with better specs than the PS4 launching this Fall for 450$ including pack-in game.

Nothing better than a completely unexpected curveball to give us the best meltdowns (also better products).

Nonsense. Announcing a Wii U successor now wouldn't ignite shit. It would mean they'll sell pretty much no more consoles and less games for at least 18 months. Their remaining stock would be worthless, all games currently in development for the system would bomb even harder - there'd be zero benefit whatsoever. It wouldn't help Nintendo, it wouldn't help the few remaining 3rd parties, and it wouldn't help gamers.

that just makes it sound more likely that they'll do it :(

Colombo

Okay maybe one. But I was under the impression that controllers are massively marked up and don't cost anywhere close to the $40 selling price to produce.

If indeed a Wii U revsion sans Gamepad is coming, then I expect a Pro Controller (or updated version) and a Wii Remote Plus to be included. Nintendo recently seems to be coming up with multiple ways of including it in hardware and software bundles.

xandaca

Will they announce the Wii U successor at E3?

Nope.

Should they announce the Wii U successor at E3?

Absolutely not. It'd be a terrible sign to customers and investors alike. Plenty of people bought the Wii U on faith and have been disappointed. Knowing that the next console could be unceremoniously killed within three years if it doesn't hit certain milestones will only lead to players waiting even longer before buying the next one, just as many people now expect price cuts on Nintendo consoles following the 3DS' early failure.

Fixed.

Log4Girlz

Can you imagine the meltdowns if Nintendo went nuts and announced a home console with better specs than the PS4 launching this Fall for 450$ including pack-in game.

Nothing better than a completely unexpected curveball to give us the best meltdowns (also better products).

The pack in would be their sole title for a year

Tobor

I certainly wouldn't. Why announce a new console when multiple high-profile exclusives to the console don't even have firm release dates?

First of all, if it is a hybrid handheld/console, than it gives Nintendo the perfect out. They can claim it's another third pillar and that both the Wii U and 3DS will remain in the market.

If the new system hits big, they can quietly kill the Wii U(and 3DS) later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Honestly I'm terrified that Nintendo will rush out a 3DS successor early. I want to make tons more games for the 3DS but I'm too slow...

I don't think it will happen yet though. But rumours like this are worrying. It would be risky when the 3DS is the only thing making them money right now, but at the same time it's sales has slowed down, there's not a lot of big upcoming games announced, and certain aspects of the hardware is making it seem a bit dated compared the market as a whole. I think the resolution is perfectly fine for a gaming device in that range but when smartphone manufacturers decided that you need 1080p on a 5 inch screen regardless of hardware power the comparison becomes rather strange. Similarly the lack of middleware support is holding back some developers, so I could see a scenario where they decide to go for short cycle, but I really hope not.

If you're a developer, then you would have your fingers crossed for a new handheld that was really easy to develop for, so you could bring games to it quickly and at low cost. That would also be good for Nintendo.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Why? They have the Nintendo Directs, which - I was told - are just the same as a major press conference.

Directs are more aimed at their fans and the gaming public in general. If they are announcing a new system, you'd want the general public and press to see it as well and Press Conferences would do a better job at that than a Direct.

beril

If you're a developer, then you would have your fingers crossed for a new handheld that was really easy to develop for, so you could bring games to it quickly and at low cost. That would also be good for Nintendo.

It's easy and quick enough for me on 3DS, I love the hardware and the market and it's making me quite a lot of money, so change is scary

Steroyd

If they make it backwards compatible and have the strongest launch of all time, I can see it being negligible

No no no, Hardcore Nintendo fans are pretty much the only fans Nintendo had left to buy the WiiU at launch, piss them off enough and you're left with... nothing.

Unless you're saying that the current fanbase of the WiiU is negligible, then well played.

V_Ben

Banned
Directs are more aimed at their fans and the gaming public in general. If they are announcing a new system, you'd want the general public and press to see it as well and Press Conferences would do a better job at that than a Direct.

I believe that last year Nintendo had an investors thing during the show, so they could do a hardware reveal easily. Press will pick up on a hardware announcement regardless of venue.

Regiruler

I still say one more balanced 3DS revision is the best possible thing for me right now. New console completey would be so awfully timed.

erawsd

In that scenario I see Nintendo's stock price being the only thing melting. They can't compete with Sony or even MS at that level. If the wiiU was originally something like that, maybe.. but def not now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I believe that last year Nintendo had an investors thing during the show, so they could do a hardware reveal easily. Press will pick up on a hardware announcement regardless of venue.

True, but they didn't announce anything of the sort for this year.

Absolutely not. Announcing a Wii U successor now wouldn't ignite shit. It would mean they'll sell pretty much no more consoles and less games for at least 18 months. Their remaining stock would be worthless, all games currently in development for the system would bomb even harder, they'd lose consumer trust - there'd be zero benefit whatsoever. It wouldn't help Nintendo, it wouldn't help the few remaining 3rd parties, and it wouldn't help gamers.

this is my issue with the news we just got some great Mario Kart 8 news and new bundles and now a new platform? It is just too weird bad timing and all that. Now whatever that is not shown people are going into E3 expecting something on a rumor so no matter the great software for Wii U in the back of our minds we will wonder if Nintendo will drop the platform maybe this is just payback for Nintendo doing their own press streaming news directly to fans but the hype has seen a perspective shift from software to rumors of hardware

the contradiction here is how does the Wii U survive the next 18 months even without Nintendo teasing a new home console, what can be done to get these sales up?

that is what I wanted from E3 not a cave in to sell something new.

For some reason I think that Nintendo will bring back the GameBoy.
Which would be totally awesome of course.
I would LOVE a return to the Game Boy brand. It's just so iconic. I just fear that our sensitive games media will turn it into a story about sexism (Game BOY) and how it excludes women

wrowa

Also, didn't Nintendo announce that they would be showing a Wii successor at E3 at least a month before the actual conference? I can't recall.

Both the 3DS and the Wii U got announced (or more precisely the plan to unveal them at E3) at their financial results meeting, yes. Also when the Wii U was about to be announced, rumors started spreading a few days before, so it's possible that we might see a repeat of the same thing this year.

Saw this on another forum, so good:

NEW NINTENDO CONSOLE

launch games

new new super mario bros

sqi.jpg

*will spark a 50 page discussion whetever the new console can rend the AMAZING background or not*

Wii Fusion Party

mii-cosplay-nwf.jpg

play minigames with people! trade stuff! be social!

The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD

gamecubetp.jpg

cause it takes us less effort than to make a new game and we'll know you'l lap it up anyway

Hermii

Lol they are linking it with the obviously fake Nintendo fusion specs now?

I would bet my gaf account they won't show new hardware, aside from maybe a redesign of current hardware.

If Nintendo was revealing a new system, a brand new one, they'd do a Press Conference at E3.

been there done that chained to pretty ladies and all did not wow enough to hype. just drop the thing as video

I am seriously scared for my poor Wii U right now, where theres smoke

hopefully QoL or 3DS related

Some Nobody

Fortunately, this won't be a thing. Because it'd be freaking disastrous. But to briefly entertain the thought, a few things Nintendo would need:

A.) Backwards compatibility with at least the Wii U, if not the Wii, to bolster the line-up of this thing.

B.) A very low price-point, which is why they really should just wait until 2016 and release at the Nintendo Price Point of $199. If they can't have that though, then they need...

C.) A decent launch line-up and parity third-party support with MS and Sony.

A and C would be mandatory. That said, I think Nintendo might be able to save itself if it's high price-tag is justified by the next handheld being one with the next console, and if each game worked both ways. I'd play Pokemon on the big screen.

Shiggy

Depends on what it is. If it's a VC console, then I don't see the benefits of a press conference.

BY2K

Membero Americo
been there done that chained to pretty ladies and all did not wow enough to hype. just drop the thing as video

I am seriously scared for my poor Wii U right now, where theres smoke

hopefully QoL or 3DS related

Nintendo rarely gets leaks, I doubt one of the few exceptions would be a console reveal.

If a new console was ready to be revealed at this E3, we would have heard about it for a long time before now. Just like we did for the Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom