• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

Seik

Banned
Indeed it's quite unprofessional. Its like he doesn't realise that some people will read his BS and take it so seriously they won't even try the game. As reviewers they should go through a game 100% before saying things like that.

Well, that's IGN. :(

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm just saying, if you're lucky enough to get paid to play games and write reviews, the least you could do is finish the game.

This is baffling. Don't gaming journalists usually have some sort of communication with the publishers? Shouldn't it have been known how much content was present for each difficulty level?

Get it together, guys! As much as number scores are subjective, you can at least accurately describe the content that the game has to offer!

I am shocked!! I never saw this coming. IGN is the holy grail of trusted game sites, and I put my full faith in them. The only source I put more trust in than IGN is Fox News.

Serenade said:
it's the developers fault for even putting in a casual mode!

untitled-1.jpg

The worst part about it is him lying and trying to be all, well you can breeze through it once you get the hang. like... um... youre playing it on casual mode... duh

sarcoa

Fourth Storm said:
This is baffling. Don't gaming journalists usually have some sort of communication with the publishers? Shouldn't it have been known how much content was present for each difficulty level?
Content (review guides, press sheets, etc) we're given varies, but in any case the publisher is rarely as informed as members of the development team. As this case sort of implies.

Levyne

Banned
Kinda dumb that you can't play the game on casual and see the ending. I mean, I'm all for extra harder mode rewards, but not sure I like that.

Bazhard

Banned
People act like this is the first time this has happened, did everyone forget the yakuza review greg did? where he openly admitted rushing through and not paying attention?

Bazhard said:
People act like this is the first time this has happened, did everyone forget the yakuza review greg did? where he openly admitted rushing through and not paying attention?
but he admitted it. not this guy.

klee123

The fact that they get paid to do this and that their review score will negatively impact the sales of the game shows how fucked up this industry is.

GDGF said:
I'm just saying, if you're lucky enough to get paid to play games and write reviews, the least you could do is finish the game.

To be fair, with the amount of super-padded games lately that artificially extend gameplay time, that can be impossible. But this is just embarrassing, especially if you do take him for his word that it only takes "well under an hour." So you couldn't even invest that much time, huh?

Amir0x

Banned
Good for them to call out IGN, but I feel I can't truly cheer these guys on because pixeljunk guy (Dylan specifically) are douchebags and directly hurled insults at me for utilizing gameshare for one of their products. Like I was robbing them or something, even though Sony specifically said it's a feature people could use perfectly legally.

So both of them can suck it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not normally as big of an IGN hater as many around here are, but I've NEVER clicked with Daemon Hatfield. This just proves my initial thoughts and feelings. Count me in the camp that he should get canned for this.

Bazhard said:
admitted is the key word

sarcoa said:
Content (review guides, press sheets, etc) we're given varies, but in any case the publisher is rarely as informed as members of the development team. As this case sort of implies.

I see. Thanks for the info. Seems like this highlights a problem which is easily rectifiable.

fernoca

GDGF said:
That, on top of getting the games for free.
I wonder if this sites would be more "strict" with their "review guidelines" if they had to pay for each of the games they review. I know that smaller sites have to pay for them, which is why smaller sites also offer sometimes more in-depth reviews and better done; while bigger sites is always a race of who can post the review of the most recent game, fastest.

Still remember "that Nintendo site" (forgot the name, so if anyone knows it I'll appreciate it :p); that the reviewer posts the review as he's playing the game. From the first impressions, to the middle of the game; to the end (across different days). With details about if things got better, worse; etc. Then, they award "medals" for areas were the game excels" (visuals, originality, multiplayer, content, etc.) and give a general grade.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, that is really poor journalism. I wish that at some point, gaming journalism isn't this pathetic but more professional and complete for everybody. Some day.

Anyway, is bad for me to be glad for this?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
IGN reviewers give me the impression that they're older males with characters of a 14 year old instilled into them.

watershed

Banned
For going back and editing out the "incriminating" section of his review he should at least post a talk back kind of article saying he messed up. Didn't some major game site recently apologize for doing something, something relating to a review?

Gravijah

sorta ot question but if you work for a magazine like game informer or a site like ign, do you actually get to keep your review copy or are you required to send it back to gi/ign/whatevs?

Amir0x said:
Good for them to call out IGN, but I feel I can't truly cheer these guys on because pixeljunk guy (Dylan specifically) are douchebags and directly hurled insults at me for utilizing gameshare for one of their products. Like I was robbing them or something, even though Sony specifically said it's a feature people could use perfectly legally.

Someone hurled insults at you? I'm shocked.

Daemon Hatfield is a hack, this was evident back on the days when he was on the Nintendo Podcast trolling the shit out of everything.

Kifimbo said:
Again, the biggest problem isn't the review. It's the lie.
Oh he lied?

That...doesn't make any difference.

Gravijah said:
sorta ot question but if you work for a magazine like game informer or a site like ign, do you actually get to keep your review copy or are you required to send it back to gi/ign/whatevs?
Wouldn't know about IGN/GI/etc but I get to keep whatever I receive for review.

And yeah it's not like you can give back digital games(unless it's not your console or whatever).

Amir0x

Banned
Dr Eggman said:
IGN reviewers give me the impression that they're older males with characters of a 14 year old instilled into them.

manchildren syndrome is common amongst gamers in general

For every video games journalist trying to push things forward into the realms of intelligence, balance, and healthy debate, there is a clown like this undermining things.

kassatsu

Banned
Gravijah said:
PSN games are given via vouchers, so you get to keep the game as long as you have access to the account it is redeemed on.

Hyunkel6 said:
Does anyone know what usually happens to the reviewer? He can't just get away like nothing happened, right?

The lie would be the only thing that he'd get in trouble for. Rushing through games (or not even completing them) seems to be common with game reviews.

Come on guys, stop piling on him. Maybe he thought he played it through on normal, realized he didn't, felt extremely embarrassed and dumb, and edited his review to try and save face. Whether he apologizes will determine whether he's a jerk or not, so we'll have to wait and see, but it's childish to swoop down and use this as an excuse to condemn the entire website. Calling for him to lose his job over a fucking review is stupid.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
manchildren syndrome is common amongst gamers in general
It's horrifyingly more prominent with them. The way they write, they speak and now this.

As someone who is trying to get into writing professionally this has really annoyed me.

I know plenty of people, myself included, who don't get paid for the writing we do who would show more dedication than this.

I haven't had too much experience writing to deadline for reviews but the few times I have I've made sure I played enough to write a comprehensive review. I know it's not the point but I always play on Normal too, but that's just habit I guess.

Cruzader

Banned
Amir0x said:

He probably has seen what goes on CAG and for you to admit something he hates, I agree with him...plus he is a dev. Makes games for a living so maybe he doesnt like his work to be used like that without paying. Granted Jack said game sharing with "friends" and such including family is ok. When gamesharing is used over the net, the people involved 99% of the time are strangers paying 1/5 of the game for a spot.

ANyways I dont want to argue with you so whatever. Gamesharing while good for some users, its exploited and woudnt care if it gets reworked on Vita/PS4.

Amir0x

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Someone hurled insults at you? I'm shocked.

As always, never a direct response about what is going on, be it right or wrong: just an assumption backed by years of bitterness because negativity is bad news and because you got banged by mods in the past.

Like the vast majority of the time, the insult is never earned: it's just people getting angry because someone is criticizing something they like. In this case, it was even less than that. I made a "Give me PSN recommendations" thread after I just got my PS3. One of the games someone suggested to me was a Pixeljunk game; I merely said "I don't need that one because someone was kind enough to gameshare it." I had another Pixeljunk game I was going to buy anyway.

Then this Dylan guy twitted an insult at me for gamesharing. After that I said I won't be buying any Pixeljunk games, I'll just get them gameshared. That was the long and short of it. He volunteered his games for a service that has gamesharing, and then lashed out at a person who utilizes this perfectly legal thing that even Sony themselves encouraged in the early years of PS3.

Oh sorry this post was probably too long and containing of actual rationalizations for reality, sorry to take time out of your day to make a non-vomit post. Must be difficult for you.

Top Bottom