• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1080 and 720 before 50in

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WVDgPN_Gkk#t=3m

Alternative title: Does 900p vs. 1080p Really Matter?

They all agreed on that, so I went with the title "The naked eye cannot perceive a difference between 1080 and 720 before 50 inches"
(I was prompted to include that this was said on their Xbox Podcast)

Destin Legarie said:
I think you need a TV that is larger than 27 inches to even take advantage of 1080
Ryan McCaffrey said:
Oh, more than that.
Mitch Dyer said:
The naked eye can not perceive a difference between 1080 and 720 before 50 inches
Ryan McCaffrey said:
Exactly - That's what I heard. That's my understanding as well.
Destin Legarie said:
So it doesn't even matter because your TV can't even handle it.
If anyone has the names of these guys, I will fill them in. Updated.

The first question on anyone's mind when it comes to perception and resolution on such a statement is? "At what distance?"
It's a pretty definite statement being made, but it's incomplete.

The assumption in here is probably average human visual acuity, so I'm not going to be pedantic about that and use perfect visual acuity the way 4K proponents use. (0.6 arcmin, but rather 1 arcmin which US citizens know as 20/20 vision.)

Edit:

According to carltonbale.com whose resolution chart I think is the best when it comes to this topic as it deals with 20/20 visual acuity says the following:
You need to sit 4 feet (1.22 meters) or closer at 27"
You need to sit 7 feet (2.13 meters) or closer at 50"
This is when we're talking about film though, which is not 100% analogous to games, because of the aliasing inherent in games. Movies have an "automatic" anti-aliasing built-in because of the quality level they are recorded and then mastered.

Edit 2:
Alright, fine, let's do some optics calculations.

• A 50" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio is about 43.579 inches (1.112m) wide by 24.513 (0.623m) tall.
  • At 1920x1080, the pixels would be 0.0227 inches (0.579mm) wide and tall. At 1280x720, they're 0.034 inches. (0.864mm)
  • The typical resolution for a human eye with 20/20 vision is about 2 arcminutes per line pair.
  • This means a feature is no longer resolvable when it's 10,801 times further away from the eye than it is tall/wide. (2 arcminutes / 360 degrees = 10801.08)
  • On a 50" display with a 1080p resolution, individual pixels can no longer be resolved if the viewer is 20.432 feet (6.228m) away from the screen. For the same display at 720p, it's 30.603 feet (9.328m).
I'm sorry, IGN, but you'll need to retake this class. I'll be giving the lectures, and I'm requiring you to sit an additional 10.171 feet away from the whiteboard.

They all agreed on that, so I went with the title "The naked eye cannot perceive a difference between 1080 and 720 before 50 inches"

If anyone has the names of these guys, I will fill them in.

The first question on anyone's mind when it comes to perception and resolution on such a statement is? "At what distance?"

The assumption in here is probably average human visual acuity, so I'm not going to be pedantic about that and use perfect visual acuity the way 4K proponents use. (0.6 arcmin, but rather 1 arcmin which US citizens know as 20/20 vision.)

Names are at the beginning of the video.

Makai

This misconception is probably a holdover from last gen. It was a while before I figured out that PS3 games weren't actually 1080p.

Yuripaw

Banned
I don't know how true that could be. I mean, computer monitors are basically the same as an HDTV these days, right? They're saying you need 50 inches to ever see the difference between 1080 and 720, yet on my 24 inch monitor, I can CLEARLY see a difference in that kind of resolution.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I can see the difference pretty goddamn well on my PC screen and it's a 24in, thank you very much.

Qassim

Are they ignoring gaming on a monitor? It's pretty easy to see the difference on small PC monitor too.

I should start playing my games at a lower resolution because apparently my naked eye can't see it - saves me some processing power!

Wait are they saying any tv below 50 inch you can't tell? :lol (I can't tell if that is what they mean or distance away)

Maybe if you are sat far away like the other side of an average room but I can tell a difference in 720 and 1080 on my lounge 32" quite clearly and I wear glasses!

IconGrist

Saw this from a tweet a bit ago. Laughable. Even if you can't tell why one image looks different/better you can still certainly notice it.

I can't believe the Xbox podcast would say something so blatantly pro-Xbox. I mean, what is that, a podcast about Xbox or something?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No...

No...

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

I can't believe someone actually said that. I guess me and my 32 inch TV are wrong when there's a clear as day difference between 720p and 1080p. Hell, 900p to 1080p is pretty noticeable.

So higher resolution screens on phones, tablets and other handheld devices are pointless then?

Ridiculous article/video. The difference between 720p and 1080p on my 22inch bedroom TV is massive.

Edit: IGN Xbox. LOL.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
As I posted in the other thread:

fLiaqMQ.gif

I feel like I am falling down the rabbit hole with this shit.

kevin1025

Banned

If anyone has the names of these guys, I will fill them in.

What wins me over is that Ryan's explanation is "that's what I heard". Cold, hard, indisputable facts. Plus the concept of the naked eye always sounds like you need something special to discern something properly. When things look better, you know.

bryanee

Podcast Unlocked eh? Stopped listening to their bullshit ever since the DRM fiasco last year.

Clueless tits.

Podcast Unlocked is the poster child for the fanboy wars that IGN actively strives to create to drive traffic. It's truly awful, nearly PR, and they are not above spreading misinformation to keep the readers/listeners happy.

My only question is whether they are delusional enough to believe the things coming out of their own mouths.

1: Is Destin Legarie
2: Ryan Mcaffery
3: Mitch Dyer

Honestly I've been trying to avoid these conversations so I have no idea if there is an actual difference or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom