• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1080 and 720 before 50in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Ice

Banned
Weird, because I moved up from a 1680x1050 monitor at 20 inches to a 22 inch 1080p monitor and the difference in clarity was night and day for me.

Typical IGN cluelessness.

Doc Evils

h0eou26.jpg

I am not one to say graphics make a game but coming from a mainly PC gamer resolution does affect my gaming experience on consoles and I can definitely tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on less then a 50in TV.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Welp, I guess we're gonna need 200in TVs to see the difference between 1080p and 4k.

I don't know how true that could be. I mean, computer monitors are basically the same as an HDTV these days, right? They're saying you need 50 inches to ever see the difference between 1080 and 720, yet on my 24 inch monitor, I can CLEARLY see a difference in that kind of resolution.

That's because your 24 inch monitor is 1080p native. Of course 720p is going to look worse. You need to look at a 24 inch 720p native monitor and a 24 inch 1080p native monitor.

VariantX

I guess we have super eyes or something. I can see the difference from about 12-13 ft away. Especially when my image quality drops while im watching something on Netflix.

Edit: didn't mention i have a 42in tv

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Rings the same bell as those people who claim the human eye can't detect anything higher than 24fps...

On a 32" screen at about 9' I can see the difference between 720 and 1080 for games (movies it's harder).

On my 17" laptop display, there is a huge difference between 720 and 1080 at 24"

I'm pretty sure someone can post the graph showing tv size vs viewing distance vs resolution and how it all matters.

ST2K

I assume the "human eye can't tell" thing is coming from that graph that people like to post in resolution discussions? The one that people think is BS?

I certainly agree with the notion that for most players, more casual players, they won't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. But stating that no one can tell the difference seems patently absurd.

Phinor

They must have absolutely terrible TVs if that's the case. I mean if there's zero difference between 720p and 1080p, how long can you go before there's a difference? 360p and 1080p?

Also, I can see the difference with my terrible vision.

They are probably right... if they have their couch 5m away from the TV or something.

Thinking it over, no. That might still not be enough.

There has to be a point where they pause and ask each other if they can really just flat-out lie to people like this. Unfortunately the answer seems to be a unanimous "yes".

They do this human eye can't tell BS with framerates too. It is so old and annoying at this point. But here they are, trying to be serious with it.

You know how you settle it? Get some other site, not named Polygon or IGN to get like 50 people into a room, sit them 6ft. from some televisions, one being 1080p and one being 720p and see if they can tell the difference on after another.

Funny how I can go to Best Buy, look at TV's on the wall and immediately know which ones are 720p vs. 1080p screens lol. Amazing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WVDgPN_Gkk#t=3m

Alternative title: Does 900p vs. 1080p Really Matter?

They all agreed on that, so I went with the title "The naked eye cannot perceive a difference between 1080 and 720 before 50 inches"
(I was prompted to include that this was said on their Xbox Podcast)

If anyone has the names of these guys, I will fill them in.

The first question on anyone's mind when it comes to perception and resolution on such a statement is? "At what distance?"
It's a pretty definite statement being made, but it's incomplete.

The assumption in here is probably average human visual acuity, so I'm not going to be pedantic about that and use perfect visual acuity the way 4K proponents use. (0.6 arcmin, but rather 1 arcmin which US citizens know as 20/20 vision.)

yea i heard that yesterday, they kept saying numbers and going up from 24 to 27 to 30 something to 50. And i avoid listening to them 99% of the time but i saw the description they were going to talk about resolution and had nothing else to listen to. Unlocked is far more bias towards MS than Beyond is to Sony

rdrr gnr

I saw Ryan McCaffrey at the table. He's a smart dude whose opinion is almost never wrong or embarrassing. I trust him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom