• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1080 and 720 before 50in

Status
Not open for further replies.

werks

Banned
I have Blackflag on PS4. I didn't even spot the difference between pre- and post update image. Nobody knew it was running at a lower resolution until the pixel counters and the guys with the pixel counting equipment came and called it out.

You are right, resolution doesn't matter an is a waste of resources. The entire gaming industry is full of idiots because they are wasting their time rendering at 1080p when they can render everything in 720p and noone could tell the difference.

NIN90

Let's say the resolution difference doesn't matter. That doesn't make one console being severly undepowered any more acceptable. Sounds like damage control to me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Say something dumb.

Get called on it.

Point out that you haven't actually investigated, it was just something you were told.

Refuse to back down.

Insult the people who called you out.

The IGN Way

In general, resolution isn't that big a deal to me. It obviously isn't to these guys either. However, I just can't understand the repeated ignorance from many members of the games press that a large portion of the audience does care about this stuff.

All of the evidence is right in front of their face. When people scrutinize resolutions and AA methods and shaders and whatnot, it's not always just "lol console warz". It shows that people care. This stuff matters. They dismiss an entire swath of their potential audience and then wonder why that same audience dismisses them.

But then again, maybe I just need to go outside.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have Blackflag on PS4. I didn't even spot the difference between pre- and post update image. Nobody knew it was running at a lower resolution until the pixel counters and the guys with the pixel counting equipment came and called it out.

You shouldn't game like this bro:
image.php

I played Halo 3 on a 40" tv, my eyes bled because of all the jaggies.

For fuck's sake, I notice the difference between 1080p and 1079p on my 55" tv, stfu IGN.

Taker34

Banned

Now you must be trolling. Just don't exaggerate too much, because people might think you're serious. You're funny :D

Sanctuary

Damn, wish I had known this. The entire time I have been watching videos in 1080P when 720P is basically the same. No need to buy a new videocard after all, its basically the same.

So now you cannot tell the difference between 720P and 4k, while in motion. Crazy times, crazy.

Depending on the speed and the way the game is actually moving, no, you wouldn't be able to. And don't be stupid, we don't play games at 24fps. And before you reply with more nonsense, make sure you understand the bolded part.

To IGN: Bullshit, i have a 40 in 1080p lcd tv and a 40in 720p lcd tv and i could definitely tell the difference.

Tell Microsoft to pay you better and come up with a better excuse next time IGN.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Most gamers out there are comparing it like this. As if it was Static images. Wallpapers, screenshots.
720p_vs_1080p.jpg

It's different when there is an upscaler and the game is in motion. You can hardly tell the difference. If both of the games are running side by side.

I don't even know how to respond to this.

hahaha GAF does not work this way.
BELIEVE

STOP GIVING THEM CLICKS.

I have managed to NEVER click any of their sites and I have survived as a gamer. Block them off your twitter. Do not go to their sites. Do not engage them in their shenanigans.

It is that easy. Just stahp. These people aren't fit to report on games, nor are they ethical or unbiased. They do not deserve to be working in the capacity they do. So stop supporting them.

So, who do we call when we're in need of info!?!? WHO?? :O

TeRey09

Quote the people that are making ad hominem arguments.

You won't find any, because I think you're mistaken. You think any insult is an ad hominem argument.

That is not the case, and if you re-read what an ad hominem argument is you will find out.

What is happening in this thread is that they are being called out for misinformation and are ALSO called idiots. The latter I don't agree with, but nobody is saying they are wrong BECAUSE they are idiots.

Apathy said:
I didn't think my dislike for Mitch could be lower, but he proves he once again proves to be an asshat
Page 2 Post #76

The Lamp said:
What idiots. Am I superhuman? I easily noticed when AC4 got the patch that bumped the resolution from 900p to 1080p on my PS4 and I have a 40" TV.

It's really easy to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p if you're looking for it and your eyes aren't broken.
Page 3 Post #101

FrostuTheNinja said:
I, for one, find comfort in their idiocy.
Page 3 Post #150

Juliet's 8½ Spirits said:
What are the qualifications needed to become an xbox shill at IGN?
I want in on this
Page 4 Post #186

Just a couple.

S1kkZ

so, the guy that called all neogaffers/potential customers "anal assholes", works for a developer that will release daylight?

damn shame. i was really excited for daylight, but comments like this (even if they are not representative for the whole company) and the other stuff (give a great review score, get hired 3 months later) will make sure that i stay away from this game.

Zabant

Say something dumb.

Get called on it.

Point out that you haven't actually investigated, it was just something you were told.

Refuse to back down.

Insult the people who called you out.

The IGN Way

IGN is far from the only ones to do it, just look at those tweet responses.

kpaadet

This GAF reaction is for more ridiculous than the offhand comment they made in a video where they talk about the ways the resolution does matter as a difference between the different versions.

They forget to mention distance you are away form the screen and people bring up being able to notice the difference on their 22" monitor they are sitting 3 feet away from.

*slow clap*

Hey calm down it was just something Gaf was told. Relax and stop being an anal asshole about it.

fijim

Banned
so sites like IGN should just keep dishing out false information, perpetuating the ignorance of their viewers? i mean, i know that's IGN's choice, but that doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't call them out on aforementioned bullshit because we care more about informing the target audience than they do.

What they said was true in a broad sense (if you take an average setup) it works as a broad generalization. So for low level layman's information, it is ok. There is some truth to it.

We know more, and we know how to interpret it, so we can safely disregard.

DodgerSan

You should probably point out that it's the podcast for IGN Xbox.

I was about to post a question about why are so many in the games media downplaying this issue, when last gen the platform differences (predominantly in the favour of 360) were trumpeted from the rooftops.

Then saw the quoted.

ElRenoRaven

I endorse a URL ban for Polygon and IGN.

Meh I just never read those sites. It's not worth a waste of my time. That's how I look at it. No need to ban them. If others wanna waste their time reading the shit they put out then that's their right. It's not like other sites where they post false sales numbers.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Okay, we've got a silly and inaccurate comment from a professional writer, overdefensive wagon circling by other journalists on Twitter mocking their audience for knowing things, and ElTorro GIFs. At this point it'd be just another Saturday, but the shill accusations and constantly giving these people attention and insults isn't helping. Don't worry, this will probably happen again next month so you'll get more GIFs then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom