• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1080 and 720 before 50in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorc3r3r

The question is not to see the difference between 720 or 900 or 1080, but to see the artifacts the upscaling creates.

And the IQ in my opinion when the res is upscaled is massively worse.

Aliasing.
Muddier textures.
Overall lack of crispeness.

Paracelsus

Is it fair and just to hate them? Can I hate them for how lying they are? I wasn't into tech before the PS3 gen and I could tell when a PS360 game was barely subhd or definitely such.

Kru

What? WHAT?

then why do games on pcs, usually with sub 50 inch screens still pushing graphics above 720p?

Maybe by "naked eye" they mean the state that results from having the protective layer of the eye shaved off, as is sometimes done in laser-eye surgery. Things do get insanely blurry when it's growing back!

(However, having had laser-eye surgery I have no trouble telling the difference between 1080 and 720, so I guess it still gets a recommendation.)

rjinaz

I have a 40 inch tv and I can tell the difference on blu ray movies easily. Science needs to study my eyes maybe they're alien or magic?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Do they mean a 50 inch screen, or when you're 50 inches from the screen?
I don't think distance from the screen makes sense. I mean even if you were ignorant about how resolution works, the idea that the further away from something you are the less detail your eye can resolve should be understood innately.

vg260

The naked eye can not perceive a difference between 1080 and 720 before 50 inches

lolplz.png

Hey guys, what if they legit don't know the difference? Last gen this wasn't a big deal and the gen before that it was non existent. Can't expect people who grew up a certain way to know something new like this. Instead of anger why don't we just say hey that's not exactly true and this is why. They whole money hate bullshit is getting kind of old.

You serious? You'd have to be legally blind to not see a difference.

BigDug13

So based on this, it's impossible to be able to tell the difference between the images on an iphone 3G vs the same images on an iphone 4?

Then why did Apple bother with Retina display at all?

cgcg

Hey guys, what if they legit don't know the difference? Last gen this wasn't a big deal and the gen before that it was non existent. Can't expect people who grew up a certain way to know something new like this. Instead of anger why don't we just say hey that's not exactly true and this is why. They whole money hate bullshit is getting kind of old.

lol why does anyone need to explain anything? As long as you are not a braindead moron with shit eyesight you don't need any explanation. It's called *looking at it.* You sure are getting defensive for IGN.

rjcc

I have a 40 inch tv and I can tell the difference on blu ray movies easily. Science needs to study my eyes maybe they're alien or magic?

There aren't a ton of 720p Blu-ray movies, so I assume you mean TV broadcasts? There's more to video than resolution, there's also compression, contrast etc. A Blu-ray looks better than a DVD when both are played on an SDTV.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The only way someone could EVER come to this conclusion is if they have never played a pc game and have had to bump down or up the resolution, seriously.

Sean*O

This is straight up bullshit propaganda. Fuck you IGN. People run their SMARTPHONES in higher resolution than 1280x720.

Buzzman

Banned
Come on guys, he is kind of correct, because who can really tell the difference between an iPhone 5s display and a 16" standard definition screen.

werks

Banned
200ppdengleski.png

They are just regurgitating this chart. If you notice, its from AVS forum and is talking about movies. Things that are "rendered" in infinite resolution because its real life. You are not going to see a huge differences between anything recorded with perfect image quality between 720p and 1080p.

BUT you can't use the same chart for video games. Video games are rendered in realtime in its native resolution and that resolution makes a huge difference in image quality. The fact that these guys work for IGN and can't see the difference should be stunning.

When you factor in how much fun you're having, does resolution even matter at all?
Exactly. I play NES games at 256x240 and have plenty of fun. Any resolution higher than that is basically unnecessary. 1080p? lol. It's scientifically proven we can't really tell the difference. It's just a marketing buzzword, and anyone who claims there is a difference is just getting swept up in the "HD" propaganda.

Prezhulio

This isn't even a console war thing. If you boot up any polygonal pc game and switch between 720 and 1080 on a 20" monitor it's night and day difference.

Ridiculous, but maybe they've never done something as trivial as this to actually have a real life observation and not just spew "lolz it's fine looking, resolution doesn't matter" all over the Internet.

S1kkZ

damn, i must have magic eyes! i can easily tell the difference on my 42 inch tv.
these 720p apologists in the gaming press disgust me.

border

He obviously means it that the difference can't be perceived at a common or particular viewing distance. It's disingenuous to assume he's making a claim as broad "1080P doesn't matter on any display under 50 inches".

Of course it's equally disingenuous of him not to mention the viewing distance thing either.

There's a ton of charts out there that pretty much claim that 1080P isn't particularly perceptible until you're talking about 45-50" displays at a distance of 8-10 feet.

BigDug13

ipad 2. 9 inch screen. 1024x768 resolution.

ipad 3. 9 inch screen. 2048x1536 resolution.

So, it must be impossible to tell the difference between these resolutions at only 9 inches.

I can see the difference pretty goddamn well on my PC screen and it's a 24in, thank you very much.

Mine is 19in and the difference couldn't be more apparent.

This is some serious misinformation. Gaming "journalists" spent all of last generation freaking out over smaller details to "prove" that the PS3 version of a major game was inferior. Now that the tables have turned suddenly a 1,152,000 pixel difference is completely imperceptible. They've even stopped saying "well WE can't see it", now it's "the naked eye can't perceive it".

The deliberate spread of lies is disgusting. IGN and any other "journalist" out there perpetuating it should be ashamed.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They are just regurgitating this chart.
I don't think you're correct. They certainly aren't coming from the direction of that bullshit chart that is based around perfect visual acuity.

They are downplaying the difference between 720p and 1080p, not trying to show that 4K is necessary.

TnK

Buuuuuuuuullllllllllssssssshhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt!!!

These comments always make me laugh.

Steroyd

Hahaha, so wrong.

The clarity is too obvious even on my 24in screen, my eyes fucking relax more when looking at a 1080p image ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom