• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The naked eye cannot perceive the difference between 1080 and 720 before 50in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reg

Banned
IGN said:
Gibberish
M9Meibs.jpg

BigDug13

200ppdengleski.png

They are just regurgitating this chart. If you notice, its from AVS forum and is talking about movies. Things that are "rendered" in infinite resolution because its real life. You are not going to see a huge differences between anything recorded with perfect image quality between 720p and 1080p.

BUT you can't use the same chart for video games. Video games are rendered in realtime in its native resolution and that resolution makes a huge difference in image quality. The fact that these guys work for IGN and can't see the difference should be stunning.

They're not regurgitating that chart though. That chart works against them. Most people sit less than 10 feet from their screen. That means a 20" screen is already hitting the "1080p is not good enough" range.

darkwing

Exactly. I play NES games at 256x240 and have plenty of fun. Any resolution higher than that is basically unnecessary. 1080p? lol. It's scientifically proven we can't really tell the difference. It's just a marketing buzzword, and anyone who claims there is a difference is just getting swept up in the "HD" propaganda.

We must fight this HD propaganda, we spend tons to upgrade

I-hate-u

Mitch says that they won't be having this conversation a year from now. Is that because of that recent 8% boost? Sorry, I is noob.

JABEE

I also feel sorry for developers who have these people critique and evaluate the quality of their works. If you are unable to accurately interpret or understand these basic objective technical measurements, your job as a critic will be difficult to do well. Especially, when part of your reviews and previews make a point to comment and criticize the technical achievements of a game.

Logash

You serious? You'd have to be legally blind to not see a difference.
You can tell the difference side by side sure but for the average person I don't think so. If you look at two separate images that are 720p and 1080p on two separate days, I am sure it would be hard to tell the difference. Obviously if they tried to tell the difference legit they would conclude that you can tell the difference but you have to look at the context of the discussion. During the video they talk as if they are not sure about it but that is what they believe. In that sense, the thread title is misleading because it sounds like they are giving a statement that they are absolutely sure is true when they clearly aren't.

rjinaz

There aren't a ton of 720p Blu-ray movies, so I assume you mean TV broadcasts? There's more to video than resolution, there's also compression, contrast etc. A Blu-ray looks better than a DVD when both are played on an SDTV.

TV broadcasts that also I have Direct TV. I also have a 720p and a 1080p tv and the difference in picture quality on blu rays is obvious. They are the same model of TVs.

Stare-Bear

Banned
You'd almost think theres a game coming out next month for one of the consoles that's not reaching 1080p, but it does have an insane marketing budget.

Orayn

Alright, fine, let's do some optics calculations.

• A 50" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio is about 43.579 inches (1.112m) wide by 24.513 (0.623m) tall.
  • At 1920x1080, the pixels would be 0.0227 inches (0.579mm) wide and tall. At 1280x720, they're 0.034 inches. (0.864mm)
  • The typical resolution for a human eye with 20/20 vision is about 2 arcminutes per line pair.
  • This means a feature is no longer resolvable when it's 10,801 times further away from the eye than it is tall/wide. (2 arcminutes / 360 degrees = 10801.08)
  • On a 50" display with a 1080p resolution, individual pixels can no longer be resolved if the viewer is 20.432 feet (6.228m) away from the screen. For the same display at 720p, it's 30.603 feet (9.328m).
I'm sorry, IGN, but you'll need to retake this class. I'll be giving the lectures, and I'm requiring you to sit an additional 10.171 feet away from the whiteboard.

ss_lemonade

To those saying PC monitors, is it easy to tell the difference between 2 monitors of the same size but different native resolutions? A native 720p res monitor could look just as good as a native 1080p res monitor of the same size.

About IGN though, I don't agree with them lol

NastyBook

What would be the point of developers going for higher resolutions if their audience can't even perceive them?

Bragging rights?

Blinck

Absolute bullshit, I can perfectly notice it on my 24' screen. Games or movies, doesn't matter. The difference is pretty big.

RoKKeR

Mitch says that they won't be having this conversation a year from now. Is that because of that recent 8% boost? Sorry, I is noob.

Oh we will, but it will stop being news and simply be accepted as a norm for the gen. The 8% will certainly help but it won't come close to shortening the performance disparity.

And I say this as an XBO owner.

jem0208

What? WHAT?

then why do games on pcs, usually with sub 50 inch screens still pushing graphics above 720p?

Because you sit 40 cm from the screen.

I honestly couldn't say whether a game is 720 or 1080 on my TV from where I sit and I don't sit more than 2.5 meters away. If there was a side by side comparison I'd probably be able to pick it out but it really isn't obvious.

That's not to say no one can see the difference. I'm just saying I can't.

yea i heard that yesterday, they kept saying numbers and going up from 24 to 27 to 30 something to 50. And i avoid listening to them 99% of the time but i saw the description they were going to talk about resolution and had nothing else to listen to. Unlocked is far more bias towards MS than Beyond is to Sony

Beyond shits on Sony all the time lol, at least they did when I tuned in in the past.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The difference is there, how big an difference depends on the size
1080p content will look better on anything over 32" upwards then it does on a smaller size TV/monitor, but you can still see the difference even on a 10" screen.

rjcc

TV broadcasts that also I have Direct TV. I also have a 720p and a 1080p tv and the difference in picture quality on blu rays is obvious. They are the same model of TVs.

You didn't read what I said. The difference between a Blu-ray and a broadcast is a lot more than just the resolution. You cannot compare them. You can't compare them by playing a Blu-ray on a 720p TV either.

It isn't a matter of resolution but rather pixel density, viewing distance, and visual ability. If you are viewing a 42" 1080p at more than 6ft, I would wager most of you putting this podcast on blast actually WOULDNT see a difference.

That said, monitors with view distances in inches are much easier to see a difference which is why people freak when they hear a random statement like this.

border

They're not regurgitating that chart though. That chart works against them. Most people sit less than 10 feet from their screen. That means a 20" screen is already hitting the "1080p is not good enough" range.

There's probably a half dozen often-posted charts that support their claim. Just Google "1080P viewing distance chart".

resolution_chart.jpg

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

3D-TV-Resolution-Chart.png

As others have noted, these were put together by home theater sites and there will probably be differences when viewing realtime games media rather than pre-recorded films.

Harlock

I dont understand why in this day and age IGN keeps different teams for each platform. It only increases the bias pro or anti one console, because is natural that people wanna keep your job.

rjcc

Are you seriously questioning it? Were you living under a rock when GTA IV and RDR came out? That's all reviews talked about when looking at the PS3 version.

should be easy to find a link then.

most of the reviews I read, iirc, didn't harp on platform differences.

But maybe I just don't read shitty reviews, so there's certainly a selection bias involved.

I have pretty crappy eyes and the difference is night and day between 1080 and 720 on my living room set up. Its easy to see the boost in IQ and less noticeable aliasing. Its not world shaking or game ruining but its clear as day.
But in terms of pissing matches I think the difference between 60/30 fps is a bigger deal so I dont fault a developer for dropping the XB1 resolution to match the PS4 framerate like in BF4 or Ground Zeros.

But IGN are always shilling. This isnt as bad as hearing the same story from ArsTechnica last year... that was just hilarious when you consider what Ars is meant to be about.

Kysen

All my consoles hooked up to a 27" IPS monitor, calling bullshit on this. Anything below 1080p looks blurry as fuck.

Sean*O

This pretty much makes it official that journalistic integrity is dead at IGN and they will just accept money to print anything.

Hey media, it's not worth cutting your own throat to take bribes from Microsoft. Whatever IGN is getting for this nonsense they just lost a lot more in readership and credibility.

rjcc

There's probably a half dozen often-posted charts that support their claim. Just Google "1080P viewing distance chart".

As others have noted, these were put together by home theater sites and there will probably be differences when viewing realtime games media rather than pre-recorded films.

the real problem here, is that all of those charts are complete BS in the way they're applied. What the original chart was intended for has been flipped into something it entirely doesn't mean, and IGN is making the same mistake.

Helscream

Banned
What in the flying #$% is this shit? Is this like a reverse-smear campaign for Xbox One? Seriously IGN the hell.....

Dr.Acula

Banned
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/629/200ppdengleski.png

They are just regurgitating this chart. If you notice, its from AVS forum and is talking about movies. Things that are "rendered" in infinite resolution because its real life. You are not going to see a huge differences between anything recorded with perfect image quality between 720p and 1080p.

BUT you can't use the same chart for video games. Video games are rendered in realtime in its native resolution and that resolution makes a huge difference in image quality. The fact that these guys work for IGN and can't see the difference should be stunning.[/QUOTE]

That's a really good point.

Life doesn't have aliasing.

Theecliff

Banned
The fuck IGN?

So with that logic, I suppose people who play on monitors might as well not play PC games at resolutions higher than 720p? The lengths some people will go to damage control shit is insane.

To those saying PC monitors, is it easy to tell the difference between 2 monitors of the same size but different native resolutions? A native 720p res monitor could look just as good as a native 1080p res monitor of the same size.

About IGN though, I don't agree with them lol

Still night and day.
It's even obvious on CRT monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom