• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Vita is destined to sell better than 3DS

Grecco

Momo said:
In what bizarro timeline were they awesome?

Back during the N64 days. Now most of those people are gone, and the current crop of IGN writers are awful. IGN is the worst place on the internet next to ********.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No idea about sales, but I'm certainly far more excited about the Vita than I am for the 3DS.

Gomu Gomu

ivysaur12 said:
Both will have good games. Who the fuck cares.
Gotta admit it's interesting to see how they perform in the market. Who will buy what? Why is x selling more than y?..etc.
I, personally, think it's fun predicting sales numbers, and then watching what happens.

On topic: I'm pretty sure they said the same thing about the DS vs PSP arguments back in the day. I think Nintendo hasn't released a true system seller for the 3DS, which is why it's not selling super well. And apparently, if you're not selling super well, you are doomed? Anyway, I think people will change their minds after the release of Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter and whatever the new Pokemon game is.
OTOH, I hope the Vita sells as well. It has an impressive line-up, not to mention it is one sexy ass machine. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it will over sell the 3DS. As for iOS & Android devices, I will always say that these devices will not have the effect people are claiming they would on the portable handheld industry. Some say "People don't bring their DSs, but they always play with their iOS devices". Well, to that I say: these people never were into handheld gaming, and them not playing handheld games isn't really doing THAT much of an effect on the handheld games market.

Shadow780 said:
Succeed or not, Vita will always be happy.

ZsCIu.jpg

For me I see a sad face... with a large chin/soul patch.

heringer

Xplatformer said:
Bigger screen than iPod Touch. More features than iPod Touch. Close in price to iPod Touch.

So, why not buy it instead of an iPod Touch?
Because it's bigger? Because the Appstore is so much more than facebook and twitter, and it will take a long time if ever Sony's app marketplace get there? Because their friends and their mothers have one, with a huge sort of apps, and they want to be a part of that? Because iThings are the cool things to have atm? Because a lot of people are self conscious enough to prefer carrying an iPod and not a gaming handheld? Because now they are buying iPhones and iPads too?

BurntPork

Banned
Beam said:
Yeah, because history always repeats itself in video games. SMH.
The point isn't that the same thing that happened this gen will happen again; it's that this gen (and last gen, and the gen before that) taught us that power might not be enough to win, so it's a weak argument.

Angry Fork said:
It's slightly better than a PSP, which came out long before 2007. And the 3DS came out in 2011 which pretty much reaffirms his point.
Vita's tech is from 2008.

codhand

Let's be honest the gaming press already decided not to give a fuck about 3DS a few months back. Just look at number of reviews for Skylanders 3DS, there are only two!

M-PG71C

Never change IGN, never change. You're still full of shit as usual. There's a reason why half these people can't be hired as legitimate journalists.

I like the Vita, a lot for that matter. And I think its going to be a solid portable. But there is no way in hell it is built to outdo the 3DS and Android/iOS markets. They all have different demographics, different economies, and different expectations. What Sony can hope for the Vita is for it to craft out its own unique market and audience.

I don't see Sony doing that with their current strategy, however. I plan to buy one day-one, and get my Ridge Racer to go along with it, but I have some pretty realistic expectations for the portable. What sucks about a hype train like this is when the Vita does go through a dry-season ala 3DS, its going to hurt more than last-night's hangover.

Angry Fork

AceBandage said:
This debate has been raged a hundred times and your side has never won.
The 3DS is significantly more powerful in every single aspect. Comparing a game that came out near the end of a systems life to launch tables is not going to win your argument.
Well 3DS should be a massive difference from PSP even at launch, like Vita is.

3DS isn't doing that which means it's tech isn't that great in 2011, especially at 250$ launch price.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One could argue that the power gap was much worse between PSP and DS actually and we all know how that turned out.

King_Moc

Banned
It's like IGN is totally unaware of all the 3DS games coming out BEFORE the Vita.

They're just a bunch of timewasters. Are people just posting threads about them for fun or what? I can't imagine that anyone could take them seriously anymore.

Angry Fork said:

3DS isn't doing that which means it's tech isn't that great in 2011, especially at 250$ launch price.

Here we go again...

wallguy-screen.jpg

Launch 360 game or early XBox1 game?
YOU DECIDE!

Sadist said:
I like the argument about ports and tired, worn series.

The 3DS does have it's fair share of ports/remakes and several typical Nintendo franchises will find their way towards it, but here's something I don't understand: why is it such a big argument against the possible success of 3DS when the Vita does exactly the same thing?

Systems in their first year receive ports/remakes of older games. It's like the circle of life man.

Because Nintendo franchises are colourful and shit.

codhand

How can it be the most impressive handheld gaming device out right now, but not have impressive tech? I don't get this logic.

Durante

AceBandage said:
This debate has been raged a hundred times and your side has never won.
The 3DS is significantly more powerful in every single aspect.
Please explain to me how the 3DS is significantly more powerful in terms of CPU than PSP. I'm curious how you would justify that.

Takao

Banned
Angry Fork said:

he's going to bring up the obvious psp ports you fool

Orayn

BurntPork said:
The point isn't that the same thing that happened this gen will happen again; it's that this gen (and last gen, and the gen before that) taught us that power might not be enough to win, so it's a weak arguement.
B- Bu- But... It's got better graffix and it isn't kiddy! There's no way it won't win!

DNF

AceBandage said:
Breaking news: 7 months = Nearly a Year

Also breaking: Uncharted = System seller

well 7 months is 0,58 years. so if it is rounded ==> 1 year

try harder, nintendo fanboy

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Takao said:
You expect Vita to sell less than 20 million?

Fuck that's grim.

Mario and Pokemon are a bit ahead of 20 million sold on the DS...

New Super Mario Bros. (26.88 million)
Mario Kart DS (21.04 million)
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (17.39 million)
Pokémon Black and White (12.87 million)
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (11.90 million)
Super Mario 64 DS (9.65 million)
Mario Party DS (8.21 million)
Pokémon Platinum (7.06 million)

That's ignoring the 2 Mario RPGs and the Pokemon spinoffs like Mystery Dungeon.

Emitan

Angry Fork said:
So you're saying the 3DS isn't slightly better than PSP? There still isn't a 3DS game that looks better than the God of War's on PSP so I'm wondering what you think.
So your argument is that you're blind?

When people write articles like this, it's like the 12 and under demographic is completely forgotten about. They aren't readily buying smartphones.

NEO0MJ

heringer said:
Because it's bigger? Because the Appstore is so much more than facebook and twitter, and it will take a long time if ever Sony's app marketplace get there? Because their friends and their mothers have one, with a huge sort of apps, and they want to be a part of that? Because iThings are the cool things to have atm? Because a lot of people are self conscious enough to prefer carrying an iPod and not a gaming handheld? Because now they are buying iPhones and iPads too?

Not to mention how much more expensive it is. And that in order to even consider using it as a replacement for the itouch you need to buy it's expensive memory sticks wich bump it's price $40/70/120 more, depending on the memory size you want.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Now I want Winback for the 3DS.

bgassassin said:
When people write articles like this, it's like the 12 and under demographic is completely forgotten about.

Judging by the quality of this article, I don't think they were forgetting about the 12 and under demographic...

Takao

Banned
Man God said:
Mario and Pokemon are a bit ahead of 20 million sold on the DS...

Well, I don't mean every Pokemon, and Mario game on DS. I meant D/P and NSMB which are closer to 20 million than 70 million (the amount the PSP pushed).

Pachinko

Hey guys remember when the DS was going to die horribly in an abyssmal sales catastrophe because it had a weak launch and no one bought one for a year? Remember how it stayed that way forever and the PSP had better graphics and could do more so it outsold it a billion to one? remember? guys ? bueller ? anyone ?

Oh yeah that never happened then and it won't happen now. Nintendo has "saved" the 3DS with the massive price cut and a forthcoming large software push but it simply won't have the original DS' success primarily due to competition from apple and android based devices.

Sony will have to work even harder because , sure it has made a handheld capable of some pretty nifty visuals but it's also coming out for 250 dollars, requires the purchase of external storage for 50-100$ , ALSO has games retailing for more then 20$ (a problem the 3ds will continue to face) in addition to the psp brand recognition being half that of the DS.

In a year or 2 nintendo can stop building regular DS units and fully replace the line with 3DS, physical redesign or not , this will happen.

Sony is starting from scratch basically, the PSP name is dead, replaced with VITA and despite what IGN mentions , it has to overcome ALL of the same hurdles as the 3DS as well as compete with it.

I'm not saying it'll be a sales disaster or anything but to have a lengthy article that someone got paid to write tell me how sony's camp is a bed of roses and nintendo is doomed to failure seems more then a little idiotic and short sided.

MisterHero

Takao said:
Probably because the ports and remakes aren't from Sony but from third parties, where as the remakes on 3DS have 2 from Nintendo.
And an entire line of remakes called 3D Classics stupid Nintendo haw haw

Anyways, especially with portable games becoming so complex, devs are going to re-use game engines more than they're already doing. Consoles are still the priority, while ports and remakes are certain to become a more common thing on both platforms.

Complaining about the best games ever made getting re-released is kinda silly

[Nintex]

bgassassin said:
When people write articles like this, it's like the 12 and under demographic is completely forgotten about. They aren't readily buying smartphones.
I wish this was true, but kids these days want/need/cry for smartphones.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the current gaming market and think that the Vita has any actual advantage over the 3DS in terms of mass market appeal.

But, here we are.

What games will sell the Vita?

Because like, last I checked, no one cared about mainline installments of Resistance and Killzone (which the media sort of acknowledged), LittleBIGPlanet's a pretty low seller, Uncharted is bigger but it's launching pretty close to a mainline installment, and the Vita has no original third-party games that will sell, so...What's going to do it?

PunchyBoy

Banned
"The Nintendo 3DS is certainly not going to take the Vita out with N64 ports and tired, worn series."

Oh yes, I just forget that PSVita will get Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter or Layton x Ace Attorney... Oh wait !
Comon just get serious man ! The PSVita has NO system sellers.
3DS got Mario Kart, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Super Mario 3D Land or Kingdom Hearts.

Top Bottom