• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Vita is destined to sell better than 3DS

NIghtWolf

djplaeskool said:
Wow. Didn't think I was in the minority thinking PSP was perfectly sized.
Learn something everyday I guess.

People likes fit their portables on their pockets. I personally don't think the size is a problem, and I don't like to have stuff on my pockets, I do like the decrease in the weight of the launch vita compared to the old fat psp since I used to get tired of holding it while playing. With the vita I can take up the size if it means in getting a bigger screen without adding extra weight to it (compared to psp slim). For the people that are very concerned about the size, I think sony probably go with a PSPGO like design on second or third gen vita.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Would have been better had they just kept the PSP Go form factor.

I think they didn't because it overheated the units (not sure if it was real or not but it makes sense). That's why I expect they do it in a revision, later on.

guek said:
hmm ok

I assume you mean you can hook the vita up to both

Yeah, not sure about transfarring saves via PC though, if there's some system locking thing it might not work. Cloud saving might be another option if it's standard.

Apath

If they released an updated version with the Go's form factor and TV out, I'm going to be pissed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kenak said:
If they released an updated version with the Go's form factor and TV out, I'm going to be pissed.
TV-out is probably coming at one point i think, but i'm not sure about the PSP Go form factor, if this is referring to the slide design? The reason why i dont belive this is because of the rear touch pad. The rear touch pad is aligned with the screen, so having a slide design would mean that the rear touch pad and the front screen are no longer aligned.

legend166

I think it's reasonable to complain about needing a memory card, mainly because Sony are being dicks and making everyone use their proprietary crap, again.

Even Nintendo doesn't do that crap.

legend166 said:
I think it's reasonable to complain about needing a memory card, mainly because Sony are being dicks and making everyone use their proprietary crap, again.

That's only because they don't know how. Thank God they're not an electronics comglomerate.

Mrbob

I don't think Sony can with having real analog sticks.

Plus the PSP GO screen shrunk, no thanks.

legend166 said:

Sometimes I like to pretend Gamecube never happened as well.

Roto13

That's only because they don't know how. Thank God they're not an electronics comglomerate.
What? Nintendo knows how to make memory cards. They just choose not to.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Sometimes I like to pretend Gamecube never happened as well.
Nobody is faulting anyone for using memory cards ten years ago.

theBishop said:
Seriously. This whole issue with Vita's storage is so boneheaded. Who can we blame for this?

I am confident that someone (and this part I don't disapprove of particularly) started out saying "okay, let's build a powerful but quick-to-reduce-in-cost system out of shelf components so we can affordably deliver a great value proposition -- then we can pencil in a place or two to overcharge on and make our actual profit." And then, like you say, they waited until the software guys were out of the room and decided it would be the memory cards, knock-on effects be damned.

Father_Brain said:
We'll see, but I don't think Rockstar will be pushing any major efforts on Vita anyway. As for NIS and Falcom, their historical preference for Sony platforms is fairly obvious, but I don't know if they'd necessarily be adverse to moving to 3DS should their market fail to materialize on Vita

R* is a Western third-party and Vita is a handheld, so it should go without saying that the one won't be seriously supporting the other. While I agree that it's not completely implausible that the niche RPG publishers will move to 3DS, I have to wonder what sales bad enough to encourage that even look like. I mean, what, is 30k sales of Ys good but 25k a bridge too far?

Mungular

i dont think it will. simply because nintendo has a name and a following. the vit alooks really cool, but its just not going to sell as well

Apath

NIghtWolf said:
They probably do. U mad? :p
I kinda hope they do eventually release a Go/slider format of the Vita with a TV-out option. I'd sell my current device and get the new one in an instant more than likely.

Erethian

charlequin said:
R* is a Western third-party and Vita is a handheld, so it should go without saying that the one won't be seriously supporting the other. While I agree that it's not completely implausible that the niche RPG publishers will move to 3DS, I have to wonder what sales bad enough to encourage that even look like. I mean, what, is 30k sales of Ys good but 25k a bridge too far?

The type of games I'd expect to see move over from one platform to another are the mid-tier titles that get a sales benefit from a broader audience.

Whereas your niche stuff that sells to a small, dedicated fanbase isn't necessarily going to benefit as much from a larger userbase.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
charlequin said:
I am confident that someone (and this part I don't disapprove of particularly) started out saying "okay, let's build a powerful but quick-to-reduce-in-cost system out of shelf components so we can affordably deliver a great value proposition -- then we can pencil in a place or two to overcharge on and make our actual profit." And then, like you say, they waited until the software guys were out of the room and decided it would be the memory cards, knock-on effects be damned.
Thanks, now I can't expel the vision of that from my head.

charlequin said:
While I agree that it's not completely implausible that the niche RPG publishers will move to 3DS, I have to wonder what sales bad enough to encourage that even look like. I mean, what, is 30k sales of Ys good but 25k a bridge too far?

Well, it was a hypothetical - if Vita sells poorly and that leads to Disgaea 3 Return and/or Ys Celceta selling a fraction of what their PSP counterparts did. I didn't say it was likely...

marc^o^ said:
It's not only big, but its screen is unprotected, which makes a case of some sort necessary (which makes it even bigger).
Not a problem for a home usage, but it's not convenient for someone like me who mostly play during commutes.
That clamshell definitely protected the screen, heh.

Rolf NB

BladeoftheImmortal said:
That clamshell definitely protected the screen, heh.
It only takes a tiny bit of care. Don't throw it in the same bag with hard materials and it'll be fine. I think most of us are familiar enough with "unprotected" smartphone touchscreens, and in my experience they are pretty robust these days.

Durante

Regarding the screen, if it's as durable as modern smartphone screens I don't see a problem. I carry a GSII without any protector and sometimes in the same pocket as my keys and it still looks exactly like it did 6 months ago.

djplaeskool said:
Wow. Didn't think I was in the minority thinking PSP was perfectly sized.
Learn something everyday I guess.
I thought it was too small. Not comfortable enough over longer periods of time. But I've never tried to actually "pocket" my portable game systems.

Top Bottom