• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "[Wii] runs a distant second to 360 in annual profits"

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
A. I don't believe Microsoft makes near as much as Nintendo in profits. It's like listening to Obama say he's going to insure 50 million uninsured, stick it to the insurance companies and require them to insure people that have pre-existing conditions, give cupcakes out daily to everyone including baby animals, AND somehow make health costs go down without telling old people to sod off when they get an illness. I just don't believe it, I don't believe Obama, and I'm sick of being lied to.

B. WTF are we talking about? Oh yeah, bullshit. I'm a much bigger fan of the HD consoles, both of them, but this is nut talk. I wish it were true, but it's not.

C. IGN is good. I don't sweat the haters. Yeah, they have BS like this occasionaly, but who doesn't? And I like the IGN podcasts. BEYOND! 3RL is also great. The Wii podcast needs some work. They always sound so depressed about the state of things.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I shouldn't have to state the obvious, but the comparison should be between Nintendo and Microsoft's entertainment division, not to Microsoft as a whole.

And just to reiterate, Nintendo makes more profit than everyone else (all third parties, Sony's gaming division, MS entertainment division COMBINED) this generation (last three years).

boiled goose

good with gravy
scoobs said:
xbox360 turns more of a profit than wii? color me surprised.

i highly doubt this is true.
he does not give figures to back up this statement.

im sure wii hardware turns more profit. sells more, less expensive tech, higher price

im fairly positive wii software turn higher profits. more total software sold, lower dev costs = more profit.

im fairly sure wii accesories sell well enough to match or exceed 360 sales.
multiple wiimmotes, nunchucks, classic controllers, gamecube controllers, wheels, zappers, etc. wii is the master of local multi and the master of peripherals.

the only thing left is live fees and DLC. can that by itself make up the difference?????

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
"the Wii is a fad" several times in a row. Not because I personally believe it, but because it's fun to watch Nintendaddicts get Hulk-mad (complete with humorous color changes)

goddamn troll :\

anyway, is the article saying that the 360 pulls in more money for microsoft than the wii does for nintendo? that's intresting. on the whole then is microsoft making more in game industry revenue than nintendo per year or does the ds keep ninty in the lead? and on the whole as far as the gen goes, nintendo is still far and away the most profitable right?

legend166

-COOLIO- said:
goddamn troll :\

anyway, is the article saying that the 360 pulls in more money for microsoft than the wii does for nintendo? that's intresting. on the whole then is microsoft making more in game industry revenue than nintendo per year or does the ds keep ninty in the lead? and on the whole as far as the gen goes, nintendo is still far and away the most profitable right?

It's not true by any measure. Like others have said, Nintendo makes more profit than everyone else combined.

CorwinB

Last straw for me... I cancelled my IGN suscription which I used for getting HD content and game guides. No way I'm supporting those clowns with my money. I sent a cute letter to their customer service as well...

CorwinB

BolognaOni said:
8 Pages and no penny-arcade comics? Now I'm going to have to look them up on their site. Very disappointing.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/12/05/

215487861_aGf2Q-L-2.jpg

Chumly

jay said:
The article is stupid and most people realized this, hence it wasn't worth the effort. Do you scrounge thousands of poorly written blogs looking for points that could be relevant to the gaming industry or only consider shit when it's attached to a brand name?
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. This shit isnt put up with for any other consoles or on the OT side of the forum (real life articles) so I dont see why Wii articles are held any differently.

AniHawk

drakesfortune said:
A. I don't believe Microsoft makes near as much as Nintendo in profits. It's like listening to Obama say he's going to insure 50 million uninsured, stick it to the insurance companies and require them to insure people that have pre-existing conditions, give cupcakes out daily to everyone including baby animals, AND somehow make health costs go down without telling old people to sod off when they get an illness. I just don't believe it, I don't believe Obama, and I'm sick of being lied to.

Maybe if the far right didn't hijack the conversation with misinformation and bullshit, something might actually get done. I am pissed that he's come off so weak on something he campaigned so hard for, but his biggest problem is trying to be an adult with a bunch of brainwashed morons and trying to shake hands with people giving him the finger.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Chumly said:
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. This shit isnt put up with for any other consoles or on the OT side of the forum (real life articles) so I dont see why Wii articles are held any differently.
you're right, it isn't up up with for any other consoles. and for that reason, there aren't any articles from "mainstream" gaming "journalism" sources ripping on the other consoles for being "frat-bro shooter boxes." for some reason, people get away with this kind of stupid.

though i do agree that this thread and article has gotten far more attention than it deserves, which is why this is my only post here. yes, this guy is a diluted moron, so just let it die already...

EDarkness

AniHawk said:
Maybe if the far right didn't hijack the conversation with misinformation and bullshit, something might actually get done. I am pissed that he's come off so weak on something he campaigned so hard for, but his biggest problem is trying to be an adult with a bunch of brainwashed morons and trying to shake hands with people giving him the finger.

I totally agree with you, man. I understand why he wants to include everyone, but at some point he's gonna have to flat out tell them to screw off. Only then they'd spin it into something totally negative. Man, people just aren't ready for this kind of thing yet.

Door2Dawn

Banned
EDarkness said:
I totally agree with you, man. I understand why he wants to include everyone, but at some point he's gonna have to flat out tell them to screw off. Only then they'd spin it into something totally negative. Man, people just aren't ready for this kind of thing yet.
Gee I didn't know the same guy who wrote this article also had opinions on health care reform.

wazoo

scoobs said:
xbox360 turns more of a profit than wii? color me surprised.

No way.

In fiscal year 2009; Nintendo and MS were at $5,691,428,301 and $169,000,000 profit respectively. To answer that question, you have first to imagine how much Wii is for Nintendo, usually it is around 50%, so Wii profit should be around 2.7B$; Then you have to imagine how much MS is losing on all other parts of its entertainment division (Zune Hd and so on) and then add it to MS to get Xbox360 profits. So, to get it even, you should have to imagine that MS is losing 2.5B$ on Zune HD (and others) making them more bleeding than the ps3, and maybe the most bleeding story in recent history.

Of course, if you imagine that MS is gaining more than Nintendo on home consoles, you have to even more put Zune HD is the red, making it even more laughable.

DungeonO

If you were to ask this guy to name 10 Wii games, you'd get Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Music, Wii Sports Resort, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros.

What's amusing is that most people like him (trolls, your average "hardcore gamer") are as uninformed about the Wii as the casuals are. The casuals aren't buying games like Wario Land or No More Heroes, and neither is this guy.

hamchan

DungeonO said:
amusing is that most people like him (trolls, your average "hardcore gamer") are as uninformed about the Wii as the casuals are. The casuals aren't buying games like Wario Land or No More Heroes, and neither is this guy.

So you're saying neither hardcore gamers or casual gamers are buying games like No More Heroes? I don't get what you're saying man!

DungeonO

hamchan said:
So you're saying neither hardcore gamers or casual gamers are buying games like No More Heroes? I don't get what you're saying man!

That's what I'm saying, man! If hardcore gamers bought the hardcore games on the Wii, they wouldn't be complaining about a lack of hardcore games. When the only games they own are Wii Sports, Zelda, Metroid, and Mario, it's only reasonable that they would think there is a lack of hardcore games on the Wii. Unfortunately, after those 4 games, I think that's when most "core" gamers gave up on the system, for reasons unknown.

With The Conduit being the game that was supposed to bring them all back, well, it all went to hell.

EDarkness

DungeonO said:
With The Conduit being the game that was supposed to bring them all back, well, it all went to hell.

I think that if a well known developer poured their resources into a kick ass Wii game, it would convince people. Without that, though, just no way that can happen. As long as the big devs aren't going to commit to something awesome, then things will stay as they are. The "core" guys are fickle, they'll go where the big named games are.

Jokeropia

clashfan said:
This article is a real eye opener, I didn't realize software sales was so bad on the wii.
Wii software sales destroy 360 software sales and even exceeded DS last year to become the #1 software platform worldwide.

Top Bottom