• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "[Wii] runs a distant second to 360 in annual profits"

Touchdown

Banned
Sadist said:
You know, I love Nintendo and hate them at times, but dear god here's hoping they will destroy everything during the holidays. Fun times with all the tearfull articles from journalists and analysts: "Bu-bu-but the games, the systems! The pricecuts and new models!!! It doesn't make any sense!!!"

Yes, this X 100. Can't wait.:lol

Sadist

Tiktaalik said:
I don't know. I think you're both right and wrong. Neogaf of course has weekly sales threads and NPD threads and so if you try hard you can become really informed, but on the other hand if you're really lazy you can just join the echo chamber and parrot consensus opinions that have no real backing.
That's the whole idea of GAF isn't it? A lot of people join up because there are actually sensible discussions about sales, gaming in general and mods who actually use the banhammer. For me the reason for creating a GAF account. I trust GAF more than any other site.

Sega lost 22 Billion last financial year? How the ...?

Did they somehow manage to launch and tank another piece of hardware in 2008 that I wasn't aware of?

Sadist

Arpharmd B said:
Sega lost 22 Billion in 2009. How the ...?

Did they somehow manage to tank another piece of hardware that I wasn't aware of?
Sega-Sammy.

Sammy is the main reason why Sega is losing money like crazy.

Chumly

Arpharmd B said:
Sega lost 22 Billion last financial year? How the ...?

Did they somehow manage to launch and tank another piece of hardware in 2008 that I wasn't aware of?
Yen

The chart even shows that they lost 227 million in dollars.

a.wd

Sorry I haven't read through the whole thread, but can anyone tell me if there are any actual figures to support the title?

Like actual company figures?

a.wd said:
Sorry I haven't read through the whole thread, but can anyone tell me if there are any actual figures to support the title?

Like actual company figures?
Closely-guarded corporate secrets. Any statement would be completely exagerated, don't you think?

JKBii

The guy admits at the beginning of the article that he trolls Wii fans. I don't see why we should take this seriously.

FireFly

Nicktals said:
Seems like a direct quote to me. How is that misleading?
Because the quote is only tangentially related to the point the author is trying to make: that there is room for Nintendo to grow their support for the 'hardcore' market, while maintaining their dominance on the 'casual side'.

It's just thrown in there as evidence of Nintendo's room to grow, but is never properly qualified and the article moves on swiftly. So we can take it as evidence of a lack of research or thought on the part of the author, but it's still just a single throwaway point, and not the focus of the article.

Asmodai

Banned
Where are the numbers?

This dude (who wrote article in OP) claims that Microsoft makes higher annual profit off the 360 than Nintendo does with the Wii, but he never cited any numbers or sources to back it up.

Anyone know the deal on this? Surely Wii must be more profitable year in year out than 360 at this point, right?

billy.sea said:
Wii's software sell, and sold very well. It just that the software that sell are not very diverse.
master_obvious.jpg

jay

What he clearly meant is that if you ignore Nintendo games, any games with purple on the case cover, any company that posts losses, and any company with four or more vowels in its name, then Microsoft makes exactly as much profit as Microsoft makes.

God you guys are stupid. Stop spinning the profit line to be some poorly researched fanboy proclamation and learn to read between the lines.

Chumly

FireFly said:
Because the quote is only tangentially related to the point the author is trying to make: that there is room for Nintendo to grow their support for the 'hardcore' market, while maintaining their dominance on the 'casual side'.

It's just thrown in there as evidence of Nintendo's room to grow, but is never properly qualified and the article moves on swiftly. So we can take it as evidence of a lack of research or thought on the part of the author, but it's still just a single throwaway point, and not the focus of the article.
Just curious did you even read the article? The entire thing is FULL of errors, fanboy comments, and flamebait. The "focus of the article" is basically a throwaway point at the end with a dozen paragraphs before it of barely readable crap.

Ulairi

Banned
billy.sea said:
Wii's software sell, and sold very well. It just that the software that sell are not very diverse.

I know. We need more unreal engine shooters and griddy action games!!!

Arde5643

Soneet said:
Is this sarcasm? If not, what the hell does "READ BEYOND the article" mean?
You can find answers to the "READ BEYOND" thing in the 2nd - 4th pages of the thread.

It's just silly that both defenders of the article stated the exact same defense about it "read the article". It's as if we'd insult less the worse crap we find if we trudge through the horrendous article.

Chumly

Arde5643 said:
You can find answers to the "READ BEYOND" thing in the 2nd - 4th pages of the thread.

It's just silly that both defenders of the article stated the exact same defense about it "read the article". It's as if we'd insult less the worse crap we find if we trudge through the horrendous article.
Right so we ignore the 90% bullshit part of the article then its magically redeemed with 3 paragraphs of weak points. God I love the standards that gaming journalism is held to. If only real journalism was held to this rigorous standard.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Asmodai said:
Where are the numbers?

This dude (who wrote article in OP) claims that Microsoft makes higher annual profit off the 360 than Nintendo does with the Wii, but he never cited any numbers or sources to back it up.

Anyone know the deal on this? Surely Wii must be more profitable year in year out than 360 at this point, right?
Its definitely hard to imagine that it is a distant second to the xbox.
I find that entirely laudable, but its next project is Grinder, which the High Voltage guys freely admit is Left 4 Dead for the Wii. Except I don't play Left 4 Dead on the Wii. I play it on the Xbox 360. I'd rather High Voltage make Grinder for the Wii its own game with its own personality on its own platform. It's a mistake to shoehorn a PlayStation or Xbox game into the Wii. The bigger consoles do them too well.
Am I the only one who laughed at the thought of the proper home of valve games being on consoles?

rpmurphy

Soneet said:
Maybe in the author's mind it's the truth.

Actually, not maybe. It's probably true.
How does a journalist go about calculating the total annual profit of games sold on a platform?

Vinci

Danish
rpmurphy said:
How does a journalist go about calculating the total annual profit of games sold on a platform?

Sales Agers are anal as hell about any numbers thrown out there, and they don't even know how to calculate that because most games' budgets are kept under wraps.

Ulairi

Banned
I find that entirely laudable, but its next project is Grinder, which the High Voltage guys freely admit is Left 4 Dead for the Wii. Except I don't play Left 4 Dead on the Wii. I play it on the PC. I'd rather High Voltage make Grinder for the Wii its own game with its own personality on its own platform. It's a mistake to shoehorn a PC game into the Wii, Xbox 360, or PS3. The PC does it so much better.

I fixed that for him.

rpmurphy

Vinci said:
Sales Agers are anal as hell about any numbers thrown out there, and they don't even know how to calculate that because most games' budgets are kept under wraps.
Yeah, but then again, I'm interpreting what profits he's talking about, because it's completely unclear in the article.

Alts

poppabk said:
Am I the only one who laughed at the thought of the proper home of valve games being on consoles?

I would have laughed if I didn't suspect Valve felt the same way about L4D.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Vinci said:

The biggest 3rd party Wii game budget to date that I'm aware of is the original Red Steel at $12 million. I'm quite sure The Conduit cost moderately less considering several comments that they've made.

Excluding marketing, I would be suprised if there was any other Wii games with a budget of over 10 million. The investment in games for Wii has been suprisingly bare-boned, even compared to ps2-era game investments. :(

FireFly

Chumly said:
Just curious did you even read the article? The entire thing is FULL of errors, fanboy comments, and flamebait. The "focus of the article" is basically a throwaway point at the end with a dozen paragraphs before it of barely readable crap.
As, I said in my previous posts in this thread, which I guess you didn't read, I'm not defending the article. But if we want to discuss the article at all it would be a good idea to actually discuss the point the author was actually trying to make, which as I said is that Nintendo is now in a position to better redress the balance between the 'hardcore' and 'casual markets'.

To highlight the relevant parts:

"Good thing Nintendo's already reinventing the Wii as a hardcore gaming platform. It's the smartest move it could possibly make."

"Less than a day after Microsoft premiered Natal, Nintendo announced a lineup that read like a love letter to its diehard fans. A new Legend of Zelda. New Super Mario Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2, marking the first time two 3D Mario games will share space on the same console. Metroid: Other M by Team Ninja, the guys who heaped on the pain for gamer-murdering favorite Ninja Gaiden on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox. Doesn't get more hardcore than that. But this isn't a response to Natal. This is a response to Nintendo's own dual (and dueling) market needs, and it's long overdue."

"The real money's made in software, and that's where the Big N's had a ton of trouble reconciling two distinct classes of consumer: casual players and hardcore gamers."

"Clearly, a chunk of Wii people go deep with what games they have and enjoy them perfectly fine, but the majority have strayed. Their games are on another console. If more traditional Nintendo games were available on the Wii, they'd buy 'em. That's why they bought a Wii. And Nintendo seems to have finally remembered that. They're diversifying back into the market they started from, putting real muscle into creating games for the people who've been in their corner all along."

"Don't get me wrong, Nintendo's not giving up those casual dollars. It just isn't working as hard for them anymore... primarily because there's no need. Wii Sports Resort and a Wii Fit sequel will do the heavy lifting for the next year or so while the rest of us can look forward to a whole slew of Wii games that won't bring eternal shame to our family should we play them"

"Sharply skewing the casual/hardcore ratio serves Nintendo as well as us. They can release two more casual mega-hits for that half of their install base, then jauntily throw out a half-dozen Super Mario Galaxy-sized smash hits (such as Super Mario Galaxy 2) for the gamer population, and suddenly the Wii actually starts performing like the all-knowing, all-devouring gaming platform it's advertised to be."

--------------------------------

"At least, that's the theory."

"A few developers stepped up to fill the hardcore void Nintendo left, and the results have been shaky to say the least."

"There's a certain atmosphere, whether it's crushing dread or selfless heroism or lighthearted whimsy, that's missed when absent. That might be tough to contemplate for somebody who equates challenge with blood spatter, but developers must tap into it to really succeed on the Wii."

"For a perfect example of third party, Wii-specific hardcore, I'd point to Ubisoft's incoming Red Steel 2. It's a Wiimotion Plus first-person swordfighter, something that just wouldn't work as well on any other console."

-------------------------------

"Once upon a time, Nintendo was the hardcore, and while it won't overtake the competition in that respect, it can easily carve out its own niche in the badlands."

"[T]he Wii can support two separate-but-equal customer streams. Now, finally, it will. Nintendo is leading with all its big guns, and there are plenty more franchises to follow up. Expect Kirby to get a Wii game at some point. Cassamassina insists Kid Icarus Wii is still a go, despite the recent implosion of its developer. Deep in the heart of Texas, Retro Studios is up to something and Sega isn't giving up yet, either. Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, and Capcom are all looking to tap the Wii's biggest untapped market. More is coming. A lot more.

Casual games for casual gamers. Serious games for serious gamers. It's our turn now ."

Again it takes some re-reading to make sense of where everything the author is saying fits in, so it's not exactly well organised, but there is at least a central message throughout. I think this discussion would have been more productive if the OP had actually managed to convey that message.

Arde5643

FireFly said:
Again it takes some re-reading to make sense of where everything the author is saying fits in, so it's not exactly well organised, but there is at least a central message throughout. I think this discussion would have been more productive if the OP had actually managed to convey that message.
All good points - but good points from you, not from the article itself. You're trying too much in trying to convey your well-reasoned and articulate thoughts with this poo shoddy hack-ridden article.

You'd do better to convey these thoughts in Amir0x's thread (which you probably already did) than trying to pretend that this article can somehow convey articulate and well-reasoned thesis.

It's a bad fanboy-ish article, lacking reason, facts, and articulation - it doesn't need to be defended since it's too obvious of an attempt to rile up clicks for IGN.

jay

I am lost on the thesis of the article. Nintendo isn't really changing much, they always deliver a slow stream of games from a wide variety of genres. Comparing the Wii to the GC release list shows nothing's changed dramatically between consoles.

A new Zelda, Mario and Metroid are always coming, and remember the Wii already has one of each. The premise that Nintendo is now giving hardcore gamers what we want just seems wrong.

Also the article is terribly written immature crap, but some of you want to ignore that and pretend the content itself is good.

Vinci

Danish
It just isn't working as hard for them anymore... primarily because there's no need.

This is the part I find hilarious. My god, people, it's not like Nintendo has done nothing but create casual games this gen. The ratio of casual to core isn't as skewed as people like to exaggerate it is.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
jay said:
I am lost on the thesis of the article. Nintendo isn't really changing much, they always deliver a slow stream of games from a wide variety of genres. Comparing the Wii to the GC release list shows nothing's changed dramatically between consoles.

A new Zelda, Mario and Metroid are always coming, and remember the Wii already has one of each. The premise that Nintendo is now giving hardcore gamers what we want just seems wrong.

Also the article is terribly written immature crap, but some of you want to ignore that and pretend the content itself is good.

I think among the many flaws the article has, the author seemed to relate Nintendo's E3 showing to Nintendo's actual output. As you said, there's nothing new in what the company is churning out: a couple of high production titles, couple of titles intended to reach a broader audience, and some B-level franchises. But he seems to think that Nintendo has altered their entire development cycle in some reactionary step in order to reach out to the enthusiast gamer demographic. The simple truth is that they realized that their E3 show in 2008 wasn't right for the audience, and adjusted it accordingly. That's pretty much it. The games and the forged partnerships have been in development for months.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
FireFly said:
Right but that central message - that Nintendo have only been focusing on making casual games, that their output this generation is distinctly different compared to other generations, that they are undergoing a shift currently from "casual" to "hardcore", and that because of their casual focus they are seriously lagging behind the "hardcore" king the 360 in creating revenue - is fatally flawed. We have had the list wars for the gamecube and Wii's early years, Nintendo's output has been almost identical. The revenue thing seems highly unlikely, and he doesn't back it up with any figures.

rpmurphy

FireFly said:
As, I said in my previous posts in this thread, which I guess you didn't read, I'm not defending the article. But if we want to discuss the article at all it would be a good idea to actually discuss the point the author was actually trying to make, which as I said is that Nintendo is now in a position to better redress the balance between the 'hardcore' and 'casual markets'.

To highlight the relevant parts:

"Good thing Nintendo's already reinventing the Wii as a hardcore gaming platform. It's the smartest move it could possibly make."

"Less than a day after Microsoft premiered Natal, Nintendo announced a lineup that read like a love letter to its diehard fans. A new Legend of Zelda. New Super Mario Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2, marking the first time two 3D Mario games will share space on the same console. Metroid: Other M by Team Ninja, the guys who heaped on the pain for gamer-murdering favorite Ninja Gaiden on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox. Doesn't get more hardcore than that. But this isn't a response to Natal. This is a response to Nintendo's own dual (and dueling) market needs, and it's long overdue."

"The real money's made in software, and that's where the Big N's had a ton of trouble reconciling two distinct classes of consumer: casual players and hardcore gamers."

"Clearly, a chunk of Wii people go deep with what games they have and enjoy them perfectly fine, but the majority have strayed. Their games are on another console. If more traditional Nintendo games were available on the Wii, they'd buy 'em. That's why they bought a Wii. And Nintendo seems to have finally remembered that. They're diversifying back into the market they started from, putting real muscle into creating games for the people who've been in their corner all along."

"Don't get me wrong, Nintendo's not giving up those casual dollars. It just isn't working as hard for them anymore... primarily because there's no need. Wii Sports Resort and a Wii Fit sequel will do the heavy lifting for the next year or so while the rest of us can look forward to a whole slew of Wii games that won't bring eternal shame to our family should we play them"

"Sharply skewing the casual/hardcore ratio serves Nintendo as well as us. They can release two more casual mega-hits for that half of their install base, then jauntily throw out a half-dozen Super Mario Galaxy-sized smash hits (such as Super Mario Galaxy 2) for the gamer population, and suddenly the Wii actually starts performing like the all-knowing, all-devouring gaming platform it's advertised to be."

--------------------------------

"At least, that's the theory."

"A few developers stepped up to fill the hardcore void Nintendo left, and the results have been shaky to say the least."

"There's a certain atmosphere, whether it's crushing dread or selfless heroism or lighthearted whimsy, that's missed when absent. That might be tough to contemplate for somebody who equates challenge with blood spatter, but developers must tap into it to really succeed on the Wii."

"For a perfect example of third party, Wii-specific hardcore, I'd point to Ubisoft's incoming Red Steel 2. It's a Wiimotion Plus first-person swordfighter, something that just wouldn't work as well on any other console."

-------------------------------

"Once upon a time, Nintendo was the hardcore, and while it won't overtake the competition in that respect, it can easily carve out its own niche in the badlands."

"[T]he Wii can support two separate-but-equal customer streams. Now, finally, it will. Nintendo is leading with all its big guns, and there are plenty more franchises to follow up. Expect Kirby to get a Wii game at some point. Cassamassina insists Kid Icarus Wii is still a go, despite the recent implosion of its developer. Deep in the heart of Texas, Retro Studios is up to something and Sega isn't giving up yet, either. Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, and Capcom are all looking to tap the Wii's biggest untapped market. More is coming. A lot more.

Casual games for casual gamers. Serious games for serious gamers. It's our turn now ."

It's based on an assumption that the hardcore market can even be won back this generation. It isn't possible. Hardcore gamers are stubborn things who ask for unrealitic goals in ordered to be convinced to change their buying habits. Most times those expectations are intentionally made impossibly high and then constantly moved higher so that they know they won't be met. Nintendo can do nothing at this point in this generation but to keep hold of the hardcore gamers they have now, who are already by now largely unconvinced of the 360 and PS3 platforms anyway.

Sadist

Vinci said:
This is the part I find hilarious. My god, people, it's not like Nintendo has done nothing but create casual games this gen. The ratio of casual to core isn't as skewed as people like to exaggerate it is.
It's the most popular argument around. I remember discussing on a other site the same thing and degraded myself to a list wars. Still after those facts people were still telling or asking me: "Yeah, but Nintendo is making buttloads of money with stuff like Wii Sports, Fit, Play etc. Mario Galaxy sold only 8 million copies (derpa derpie derp) of the more more traditional games. Why bother making new ones?"

I rubbed it in their faces when New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid other M were announced.

FireFly

poppabk said:
Right but that central message - that Nintendo have only been focusing on making casual games, that their output this generation is distinctly different compared to other generations, that they are undergoing a shift currently from "casual" to "hardcore", and that because of their casual focus they are seriously lagging behind the "hardcore" king the 360 in creating revenue - is fatally flawed. We have had the list wars for the gamecube and Wii's early years, Nintendo's output has been almost identical. The revenue thing seems highly unlikely, and he doesn't back it up with any figures.
Yeah, I thought we might be able to make something of his point when better articulated, but perhaps not.

Top Bottom