• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "[Wii] runs a distant second to 360 in annual profits"

Prine

Banned
Looking at the figures DNF posted, im just glad MS are making a good chunk of profit. Of all their products the 360 deserves it the most.

Keep it up.

Heated stuff.

Harsh words, differing opinions, bandwagon jumping, credibility questioning- damn near meltdown inducing stuff it seems!

Serious business indeed.

hc2

Commonsense would suggest if MS theoretically made $10 per console and Nintendo made $10 per console, then Nintendo would have more bucks.
What we can never know is how much each manufacturer's secondary profit stacks up against the other, ie MS makes a certain amount off Xbox Live, developers' license fees, sales of accessories,etc versus Nintendo's other income from the Wii.
So it could be right or it could be wrong. Both are still selling consoles so the positives must outweigh the negatives for each.
But I could imagine a scenario where Nintendo made 250 million annual profit off the Wii and MS made made 600 million annual profit off the 360 (Live brings in approximately 200-300 million profit).

Okay, can we all cool it down on the "game journalist says something about the Wii" threads for a month or two?

Seriously guys, it's getting a bit retired.

Chumly

SamBishop said:
Better make sure they throw the other people that have actually read the article and have posted in this very thread about how they don't think it's an anti-Wii rant without even quoting me on the payroll too while they're at it. I've got enough gigs; I don't really need compensation for trying to contest a thread full of read-the-OP-and-race-to-post responses.

And I'm done, for what it's worth. That others were able to see beyond any flamebait and understand the article's actual points (which were quite astute, I think) means I won't completely lose my mind trying to figure out how so many people could get hooked on some barbed comments and miss the actual editorial.
Its unbelievable that youve defended this article with such passion. Its a garbage article riddled with errors, fanboy comments, flamebait masked up with a few so so points. But hey I guess everyone here should wade through a sea of shit just to get to a few terribly made points.

Its funny because people in the OT make fun of articles written by complete morons even if they do have points mixed in but here on the gaming side we have to give them the benefit of the doubt because gaming journalism doesnt know how to write.

TunaLover

So they get past the phase in which they aspire to be a serious gaming site, to fall into lame shitty fanboyish site.

Good to know.

They must feel more comfortable now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Chumly said:
Its funny because people in the OT make fun of articles written by complete morons even if they do have points mixed in but here on the gaming side we have to give them the benefit of the doubt because gaming journalism doesnt know how to write.

QFTMFT

DNF said:
Psychotexts post from "The Earnings Report Thread (Fiscal Year 2010)"

Code:
	   Sony		    Nintendo	      Microsoft	        Total
Y/E 1998     $902,811,090   $1,023,333,867                      $1,926,144,957
Y/E 1999   $1,102,563,557   $1,301,350,000                      $2,403,913,557
Y/E 2000     $722,738,949   $1,368,207,547                      $2,090,946,497
Y/E 2001    -$449,776,290     $677,576,000                        $227,799,710
Y/E 2002     $629,101,056     $895,872,180   -$1,135,000,000      $389,973,237
Y/E 2003     $935,569,253     $834,333,333   -$1,191,000,000      $578,902,586
Y/E 2004     $627,195,212     $993,161,303   -$1,337,000,000      $283,356,515
Y/E 2005     $419,888,799   $1,056,056,202     -$539,000,000      $936,945,001
Y/E 2006      $69,129,058     $774,478,055   -$1,339,000,000     -$495,392,887
Y/E 2007  -$1,970,923,859   $1,914,666,388   -$1,969,000,000   -$2,025,257,471
Y/E 2008  -$1,079,994,103   $[B]4,322,637,887      [/B]$426,000,000    $3,668,643,783
Y/E 2009    -$577,207,240   $[B]5,691,428,301      [/B]$169,000,000    $5,283,221,061
][/QUOTE]

If I'm looking at this correctly, and I think I am, Nintendo has made 10 billion dollars off the Wii/DS business in the past two years.  

[B]10 Billion Dollars.[/B]

That's more than the entire Playstation business combined over 12 years, if you added all the numbers [B]and pretended the negatives were positives [/B] it still wouldn't match what Nintendo did in 2 years.

Holy.  Mother.  Fucking.  Hell.

[QUOTE=hc2]Commonsense would suggest if MS  theoretically made $10 per console and Nintendo made $10 per console, then Nintendo would have more bucks. 
What we can never know is how much each manufacturer's secondary profit stacks up against the other, ie MS makes a certain amount off Xbox Live, developers' license fees, sales of accessories,etc versus Nintendo's other income from the Wii. 
So it could be right or it could be wrong. Both are still selling consoles so the positives must outweigh the negatives for each. 
But I could imagine a scenario where Nintendo made 250 million annual profit off the Wii and MS made made 600 million annual profit off the 360 (Live brings in approximately 200-300 million profit).[/QUOTE]

There is noooo way, noooo way Microsoft makes anything near what Nintendo makes on their videogame business.  The facts are right above this post in the financials.  

Anyways, considering Nintendo has never sold the Wii at a loss.  Microsoft on the other hand sold the 360 at a loss for a while, and probably close to it still with all the price cuts.  At this point the Wii hardware alone has got to be making some rediculous bank.  

Now consider Xbox live.  Ok, so they make like a couple hundred million.  But how much is that sunk back into the service, making it better, improving things.  Now think about Nintendo.  They make hundreds of millions off 2 and 3 year old software that simply will not stop selling.  The Wii business crushes the 360 business [B]at least as far as the two console manufactuers are concerned.[/B]

The author was way off base, rediculous claim.  Now, if he had said that the 360 business was [B]better for 3rd parties[/B], ok, now he could probably make an argument for that.  But he's not saying that, even though his data and facts would back up a claim like that.

Bizzyb said:
The point is, THERE IS NO SUCH THING as a "PS/360" game. You can make any kind of game for any system and as long as you give it the right kind of production values, talent and effort, it will be a good game worth buying/playing. To say that a "Mature" (see; blood, guns, story, etc) game with production values, talent, and effort does not belong on the Wii is a asinine thing to say.

He wasn't specifically talking about "mature" versus "kiddy", he's talking specifically about the platforms, Xbox 360 and PS3, versus the Wii. He's not referring to L4D as a Sony/MS game, but a game built for the specs of those target platforms. Simply downporting it does the game (and the recipient gamers) a disservice, because you're goal from the very start is making a game that is inferior to one already on the market.

No, I don't agree with that. not everyone has a 360, not everyone wants a 360. Who the hell are you or this guy to say that a game like Left for Dead can't or shouldn't be on Wii simply because it's also on 360?? Maybe someone WANTS a game like left for dead with pointer controls. Call of Duty 4 is now coming to Wii. I guess that was a mistake too, huh? For that matter they shouldn't even bother trying to make a REALLY good looking/playing MW2 for the Wii audience, right? Similarly, RE5 is now on 360/PS3 so I guess we should burn all of our copies of RE4 Wii edition and boycott the publisher from making anymore copies simply b/c that kind of game is a waste of time on Wii now that HD RE has arrived, right?

Keep in mind that the bit about the Grinder was his opinion, not mine. I think the game looks pretty good. But given the choice between it and Left 4 Dead 2, speaking as a multiplatform owner (as the author is), it really is no choice at all.

I'll give you two great examples of games that should not have bothered being ported: Supreme Commander for 360, and Street Fighter Alpha 2 for SNES. And I LOVED SFA 2 for SNES. But it doesnt change that they had to make so many sacrificies in animation, framerate, and general playability that it's a completely different game from the PSOne/Saturn/Arcade versions that were available at the same time. Meanwhile, Super Street Fighter 2, an older game built with the SNES hardware in mind, runs circles around it in gameplay, sales, and longevity.

Is anyone really going to argue that CODMW Wii looks like a better effort than Red Steel 2? Modern Warfare is a port of a "good" HD game, Red Steel 2 is a sequel to a decent Wii launch title, but RS2 has a unique artstyle, sharp graphics, a new control scheme that makes sense in the context of the game, and runs at double the framerate. If I owned a Wii (alongside my 360 and newly acquired PS3), I know which one I would be more interested in. Or you could just compare Metroid Prime 3 (or Echoes, or Prime) to any other first person action game on Wii.

Cliff-notes: Downporting bad, ground-up development good. Late Wii ports of HD games make excellent message board fodder but you guys have to realize these are not the games that multi-platform owners are itching to play.

Razien

Banned
Prine said:
Looking at the figures DNF posted, im just glad MS are making a good chunk of profit. Of all their products the 360 deserves it the most.

Keep it up.

With (lot more than) 50% failure rate and terrible consumer service? Making most people buy a new one instead of fixing the damn broken hardware they made? The noisiest console ever?

It is certainly better than Windows or Office (which suck even when working), but it doesn't make it deserving. They got hold of many ex PS exclusives and did/got awesome exclusive games, but the hardware situation is unforgiving. Even the Jasper doesn't reach common industry standards.

DNF said:
Psychotexts post from "The Earnings Report Thread (Fiscal Year 2010)"

Code:
I could be wrong, but as far as I know Microsoft doesn't release the profit/loss on the Xbox alone. I think the narrowest would include the Zune, which would likely bring down the profits.

There is also the question that the article singling out the Wii alone. Not Nintendo devices in general. So posting that isn't that far off from someone posting Microsoft (in its entirety) vs. Nintendo profits on the first page.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Arpharmd B said:
If I'm looking at this correctly, and I think I am, Nintendo has made 10 billion dollars off the Wii/DS business in the past two years.

10 Billion Dollars.

That's more than the entire Playstation business combined over 12 years, if you added all the numbers and pretended the negatives were positives it still wouldn't match what Nintendo did in 2 years.

Holy. Mother. Fucking. Hell.
Wii is dead.

God, what the fuck? I tried reading that and I couldn't make it past the first paragraph. It's just some dude rambling and whining a lot, it's sooo boring.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Couldn't blame him, really. I'm the guy who's been known to lead off a column by typing "the Wii is a fad" several times in a row. Not because I personally believe it, but because it's fun to watch Nintendaddicts get Hulk-mad (complete with humorous color changes)
You can get paid for this? :lol

operon

This made me think of

video.gif

jman2050

SamBishop said:
Better make sure they throw the other people that have actually read the article and have posted in this very thread about how they don't think it's an anti-Wii rant without even quoting me on the payroll too while they're at it. I've got enough gigs; I don't really need compensation for trying to contest a thread full of read-the-OP-and-race-to-post responses.

And I'm done, for what it's worth. That others were able to see beyond any flamebait and understand the article's actual points (which were quite astute, I think) means I won't completely lose my mind trying to figure out how so many people could get hooked on some barbed comments and miss the actual editorial.

I think it's disingenuous to ignore and forgive someone for displaying a lack of skill in writing that should have been learned in high school.

jedimike

jay said:
The 360 makes enough profit to put the Wii in a distant second?

For the gaming industry. He's talking big picture. The gaming industry (all the developers, publishers, retailers, etc.) make more money from the 360.

Vinci

Danish
jedimike said:
For the gaming industry. He's talking big picture. The gaming industry (all the developers, publishers, retailers, etc.) make more money from the 360.

IIRC, Nintendo makes more profit than every 3rd party - hell, throw MS and Sony in there too if you like - combined in this industry.

jay

jedimike said:

Do you have numbers? Nintendo sells more hardware and more software I thought so I am unsure how the math could work out to say MS makes more for the industry overall. And I assume Nintendo is part of the gaming industry so their profits count on their side.

Or is this a claim that 360 minus MS makes more for 3rd parties than Wii minus Nintendo makes for third parties?

jedimike

Vinci said:
IIRC, Nintendo makes more profit than every 3rd party - hell, throw MS and Sony in there too if you like - combined in this industry.

I doubt that is correct, but you're on the right track. Nintendo makes a ton of money for themselves. The rest of the industry makes money off the 360.

zero_suit

jedimike said:
I doubt that is correct, but you're on the right track. Nintendo makes a ton of money for themselves. The rest of the industry makes money off the 360.

It probably is true since very few third party developers make any money (according to various financial reports).

Vinci

Danish
jedimike said:

Wait, I think you're missing the point: If the 3rd parties are putting the majority of their support to the 360, and I think that's obvious, then why are so many making so little or actually losing so much money? You know, if that's better for the industry as a whole?

Chumly

jedimike said:
Where do you get that hes talking about the big picture? No where has he indicated that.

Razien

Banned
jedimike said:

AFAI Remember, The Wii had more third party games sold than the 360 last fiscal year. Considering how shitty the budgets are in comparison, I believe those made more general profit altogether. Considering how Nintendo is far beyond any profit MS and Sony can imagine together, adding Nintendo and third parties = huge profits, no matter how many titles the 360 had in top 10. He is clearly mistaking support with profit.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Tiktaalik said:
I think gaming fans really, really have to stop visiting these sites. Please just stick with EDGE and Gamasutra ok?
Hardcore gamers should just stick to neogaf, the only place where you can reconstitute some objectiveness in the mass of opinions.

Chumly said:
Where do you get that hes talking about the big picture? No where has he indicated that.

Well, the entire article basically is arguing that the only thing that sells on the Wii is Nintendo software. I'm guessing this is what he is trying to argue, I mean, that is what I take from the rest of the article.

Noone is that stupid, it had to be what he meant.

It cannot be argued that Nintendo makes way more profit off the Wii business then Microsoft on 360. It's right there in the financial data (although not entirely clear, it includes Zune and DS yada yada but, I mean, come on now, it's pretty safe to say...)

I mean, hell, his very own data in the article proves how damn much Nintendo makes.

He needs to be alot clearer about what he is trying to argue.

I give his essay a C+. Thesis is not clearly stated, it contains misleading statements that although probably weren't intentitional, should have been fixed in a 3rd draft. See me after class.

Tiktaalik

marc^o^ said:
Hardcore gamers should just stick to neogaf, the only place where you can reconstitute some objectiveness in the mass of opinions.

I don't know. I think you're both right and wrong. Neogaf of course has weekly sales threads and NPD threads and so if you try hard you can become really informed, but on the other hand if you're really lazy you can just join the echo chamber and parrot consensus opinions that have no real backing.

Chumly

Arpharmd B said:
Well, the entire article basically is arguing that the only thing that sells on the Wii is Nintendo software. I'm guessing this is what he is trying to argue, I mean, that is what I take from the rest of the article.

Noone is that stupid, it had to be what he meant.

It cannot be argued that Nintendo makes way more profit off the Wii business then Microsoft on 360. It's right there in the financial data (although not entirely clear, it includes Zune and DS yada yada but, I mean, come on now, it's pretty safe to say...)

I mean, hell, his very own data in the article proves how damn much Nintendo makes.

He needs to be alot clearer about what he is trying to argue.

I give his essay a C+. Thesis is not clearly stated, it contains misleading statements that although probably weren't intentitional, should have been fixed in a 3rd draft. See me after class.
Look at this quote...

The Wii's always been a borderline schizophrenic. You really can't understate what Nintendo's accomplished with its hail Mary pass, coming off the GameCube's distant third showing, but you also can't ignore that it currently runs a distant second to Microsoft's Xbox 360 when it comes to annual profits.
Theres no mistaking that he is specifically talking about Microsoft verses Nintendo not some third party bigger picture shit. As for your "nobody can possibly be that stupid" well he most likely confused overall company profits verses actual profits from wii verses 360.

Razien said:
AFAI Remember, The Wii had more third party games sold than the 360 last fiscal year. Considering how shitty the budgets are in comparison, I believe those made more general profit altogether. Considering how Nintendo is far beyond any profit MS and Sony can imagine together, adding Nintendo and third parties = huge profits, no matter how many titles the 360 had in top 10. He is clearly mistaking support with profit.

I thought it was more software in general, not more 3rd party software. I always thought the 360 was the king of 3rd Party software. I mean, hell, the support would indicate as much.

I don't know either way I'm just trying to get the facts straight. If you are right, though, then that is shocking to me.

Chumly said:
Look at this quote...

Theres no mistaking that he is specifically talking about Microsoft verses Nintendo not some third party bigger picture shit. As for your "nobody can possibly be that stupid" well he most likely confused overall company profits verses actual profits from wii verses 360.

This guy really is off his rocker, then.

What was he looking at, Microsoft's entire corporation profit vs. Nintendo Profit? :lol

This article is just a piece of shit. I tried to make sense of it, I tried to say "ok well, the guy probably meant this and this" but you know what? No. This guy is just a fucking retard.

Vinci

Danish
Arpharmd B said:
I thought it was more software in general, not more 3rd party software. I always thought the 360 was the king of 3rd Party software. I mean, hell, the support would indicate as much.

The Wii wins in both last I heard. But yeah, clarification from a Sales Ager would be nice.

Razien

Banned
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/09/nintendo-releases-third-party-sales-chart-npd-clarifies-some-de/

It is unbanned, right?

Joystick said:
For the first 20-months at market, which is pretty much what the above graph shows, this is the breakdown:

* Wii: 60 million software units total, 56% are third-party units or 33 million (Nov. '06 through June '08)
* Xbox 360: 35 million software units, 84% third-party or 29 million (Nov. '05 through June '07)
* PS3: 25 million software units, 82% third-party or 20 million (Nov. '06 through June '08)

This is for the first 20 months, but I believe it kept that way since then.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, I'll wait to hear what IGN Canada and IGN Jamaica have to say on the issue.

I'm waiting for IGN Amsterdam.

You gotta be pretty damn high to make any sense out of this mess.

shaowebb

I love how he says all these things about how funny it is to find someone who owns and likes the wii and say bad things about the wii just to watch them get upset, BUT THEN at the end wants us to act like he is giving nintendo credit and taking it seriously by saying nice things about its moves being made toward both streams of gamers.

Dude's an ass. Wii may not have some of the hardcore gamer audience and titles for them, but to scoff at it like this as a fad borders on mental illness.
To a developer if a console sales at THIS RATE for its opening 3 years or so that means to start developing for it because their are going to be a lot of people with wii's looking for new games to play.

Has he heard the "It prints money." line yet?

Arpharmd B said:
Well, the games coming out now aren't based on the software sales from the last year, but what seemed like a good idea 2-3 years ago. There's also that not all third party software is alike. Generalizations are overdone and stuff with names like Babiez Party isn't all that sells, but it certainly makes up a greater share than on X360.

PaNaMa said:
Sorry. I think 4 Wii games and like 30+ 360 games. I'm not hating on Wii, I just wish my GF would play it more since I bought it mostly for her. As it turns out, she's getting real interested in PS3 now with the price drop because of the platformer type games (LBP, Ratchet Clank) so I think we're going to pick up a Slim for Christmas. Even if she doesn't play it much, at least I'll have a sweet bluray player :p Yay for finally owning all 3 consoles =p.
If you haven't played Punch-out, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3, you fail as a gamer.

ShinNL

marc^o^ said:
That depends on what period it is on NeoGAF. When the doors have opened for juniors, this place feels like NeoFAQs for a while. It's disturbing D:

Ulairi

Banned
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by PaNaMa:
Sorry. I think 4 Wii games and like 30+ 360 games. I'm not hating on Wii, I just wish my GF would play it more since I bought it mostly for her. As it turns out, she's getting real interested in PS3 now with the price drop because of the platformer type games (LBP, Ratchet Clank) so I think we're going to pick up a Slim for Christmas. Even if she doesn't play it much, at least I'll have a sweet bluray player :p Yay for finally owning all 3 consoles =p.

I have 24 Wii games and 4 for the Xbox 360. We both can play this game!!!

Firestorm

Tiktaalik said:
I think gaming fans really, really have to stop visiting these sites. Please just stick with EDGE and Gamasutra ok?
Agreed. Stop visiting shitty sites. Stop linking to shitty sites. Stop linking to sites that put out shit articles just to get hits.

Jokeropia

RagnarokX said:
RagnarokX
Awesome Member
TheDuce22 said:
Hes pretty much right, I honestly dont know how the Wii has so many supporters who claim to be hardcore gamers here. Personally I feel its the worst console ive ever owned, and I mean its not even close.
Being a fanboy doesn't make falsehoods true.
manueldelalas said:
The article is a great representation of stupidity, really; great thing from the writer to use factual information and present it as true.

Some stupid points:
- "Natal" is the new hotness", "Nintendo scared of Natal", etc. I laughed a little at this point (but find really sad his opinion... I mean, he is a "professional" writer)

- "Casual gamers buy no games". We all know the Wii's attach ratio, so I don't know why he twisted the information, we know Wii software sells at the same rate as PS3 software and at a lesser rate than the 360 (Wii/PS3 attach ratio is about 5-ish, and 360 is about 8...). Saying Wii owners buy Wii Fit+Wii Play and little else is just biased.

- Why he dismisses New Super Mario Bros is puzzling to me. Sure it is not a game that fires up the charts, but it's legs on the DS are staggering... The sequel to a 20 million selling game; it's not like people who own a Wii don't know the DS version. I don't know how much it will sell, but I think it has potential to be really huge (I'll say it will sell at worst at Halo 3 levels...).

- "Nintendo going after hardcore crowd". Lol, just lol. I mean, yeah Nintendo started making a Zelda game in response to something; someone should inform this dude, Nintendo always make Zelda and Mario games. Making a New Super Mario Wii seems like a no brainer, making a Zelda Wii is expected. SMG2 was a surprise announcement, but we all expected to hear about a new project from Nintendo Tokyo; I'm glad it is the sequel to what's considered to be the best game this generation (sadly the first one bombed at only 8 million sold).

- "Third parties don't sell on Wii". Let's see:
Capcom: RE4: sold great, great game. RE UC: sold great, great game. DR Wii: Sold horribly, horrible game.
SEGA: Madworld: sold "badly", it's a really niche not that great game. Conduit: mediocre sales, mediocre game. HOTD Overkill: Bad sales (even though it met SEGA's expectations and broke even), great game.
HOTD is the only one I see could have sold better; and none of those games would have sold better on another console, none.

- "Nintendo was teh hardcore". No, Nintendo never was the "hardcore", they have never dedicated to hardlycore gamers. The only generation in which Nintendo has been the cool one is the NES, because there was no competition (GB also falls in this category), but in all the other generations, they weren't (Genesis was "the rad" thing to buy, then the PSX, then the PS2 and Xbox, and now the 360. Also the PSP is "cooler" than the DS). Stop dreaming on this one.

- "casual gamers, serious gamers". I hate this difference, because in the revisionists story you can see that casual franchises are Halo, GTA, Mario, Madden, WE, Zelda, Gears of War, Gran Turismo, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Wii series, Final Fantasy, Warcraft, Starcraft etc.
It's like people fail to understand what really hardcore and serious gaming is. Buying a japanese 360 to play the cave shooters; that's hardcore. Buying an original Pac-Man cabinet to beat whatever record; that's hardcore.
Buying the latest console because it has teh best grafix and all the cool games in the genre that's popular right now, is not hardcore (or serious), it's casual.
Also, as most of the popular games on 360 are on the PC, any serious gamer sill play them there where you have a good and free online infrastructure, real HD (as in more than 600p), better frame rate (60+ as opposed to shaky 25), etc.

- "MS makes more profits" :lol :lol :lol (yeah, three laughing smiles, take that).

All in all, biased article, uninformed, etc.
Thank you for saving me some time. I'd like to add to the tie-ratio bit that if you take into account the average weeks of ownership for each system (the amount of time that the average owner has possessed it, JoshuaJSlone keeps track of this), the average owner for all three systems buys a new game about once every 10 weeks.
jedimike said:
I doubt that is correct
You're wrong.

Overview (FY3 2009)
Code:
Company			Original Profit/Loss	Average Ex. Rate	Profit/Loss in US $

Nintendo		¥ 279,089,000,000	100.52378		$ 2,776,348,044	
Bandai Namco		¥ 11,830,000,000	100.52378		$ 117,683,597	
Konami			¥ 10,874,000,000	100.52378		$ 108,173,409
Ubisoft			€ 68,800,000		1.42447			$ 98,003,536
Take 2			$ 84,600,000		1			$ 84,600,000
Capcom			¥ 8,063,000,000		100.52378		$ 80,209,877
Activision Bliz.	$ 68,015,000		1			$ 68,015,000
Square Enix		¥ 6,333,000,000		100.52378		$ 63,000,019	
Hudson			¥ 1,742,000,000		100.52378		$ 17,329,233	
Takara Tomy		¥ 1,377,000,000		100.52378		$ 13,698,251	
Eizo Nanao		¥ 682,000,000		100.52378		$ 6,784,464	
Koei			¥ 25,000,000		100.52378		$ 248,697	
Nippon Ichi		¥ - 65,000,000		100.52378		$ - 646,613
AQ Interactive		¥ - 468,000,000		100.52378		$ - 4,655,615
Marvelous		¥ - 1,221,000,000	100.52378		$ - 12,146,380	
D3			¥ - 2,304,000,000	100.52378		$ - 22,919,950	
Sega Sammy		¥ - 22,882,000,000	100.52378		$ - 227,627,732	
THQ			$ - 431,112,000		1			$ - 431,112,000
SCE			¥ - 58,500,000,000	100.52378		$ - 581,951,853
Electronic Arts		$ - 1,088,000,000	1			$ - 1,088,000,000
jedimike said:
Nintendo makes a ton of money for themselves. The rest of the industry makes money off the 360.
Wii sells more third party games than both 360 and PS3.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
but you also can't ignore that it currently runs a distant second to Microsoft's Xbox 360 when it comes to annual profits.

Yeah, uhhh, I highly doubt that, seems like something he pulled out of his ass to justify parts of his fanboy anti-Nintendo ramblings. With the RROD problem for MS and the massive success of Wii Fit, Wii Play, Wii anything, including the console itself (all of which I'm pretty sure are sold at a good profit), I find it hard to believe that Nintendo is anywhere but first in annual profits this gen.

Unidentified said:
I could be wrong, but as far as I know Microsoft doesn't release the profit/loss on the Xbox alone. I think the narrowest would include the Zune, which would likely bring down the profits.

There is also the question that the article singling out the Wii alone. Not Nintendo devices in general. So posting that isn't that far off from someone posting Microsoft (in its entirety) vs. Nintendo profits on the first page.

This is full of truth and was completely ignored. We will likely never know the actual PNL for the Wii and 360 by themselves, since the DS will pull the Nintendo numbers way up, and GFWL and Zune will pull the Microsoft numbers down.

I still can't imagine the 360 being more profitable than the Wii, even with the untold millions each year collected in Xbox Live fees (which I bet Microsoft spends all of just to get exclusive/timed content). EDIT: Especially considering the losses they took on RRoD damages!

Tiktaalik

TOP 10 REASONS THE WII IS A BIG TURD

"Let's see a little digg, a little gaf, a little kotaku and boom I just got 50k hits. Thanks dorks!"

Top Bottom