• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Zelda BOTW Extended Handheld Mode Play (offscreen)

Lom1lo

Hm?! The framerate is identical on the TV, the resolution higher..so why should be portable the best way? I dont get it. :D

Some reports say that the framerate is worse in tv mode.

Yes resolution is higher, but its not the native res of the screen. Eurogamer reported the game looks sharper in portable mode than in tv mode.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's true. Fair point. I guess I'm just saddened by the general reaction, since I feel so overwhelming positive about the system.

Hey, how about you come and have a drink at the PS Vita Pub over here, I also feel very positive at one of the best handhelds I have ever owned and sad by its reaction as many of or club members do... you are not alone ;).

Astral Dog

Would be interesting to have a poll about that. Would not surprise me if 70% of Switch buyers think the same.

Which is why that whole "switch" concept is dumb. A big part of the cost is justified by things that nobody wants (the dock, the motion control..)

To be fair, many just dislike portables and only play on their big screens so there's no magic there for them.
I say the Dock is a vital part of the system and provides a very convenient display option.would be interesting to know stadistics how many people use it. But for startes even on GAF there will be people refusing to take it out of the dock.

Later i see a portable only Switch but to play on the go or in your comfy chair at your big home screen with ease,thats a big choice

Scrawnton

Yes resolution is higher, but its not the native res of the screen. Eurogamer reported the game looks sharper in portable mode than in tv mode.
Isn't that just how these things work? 720p on a 6inch screen is going to look sharper than 1080p on a 50inch screen.

aravuus

Controller looks tiny for those hands. They somehow managed to make the Wii U pad very comfortable, but this looks more like a big 3DS in a way rather than the Wii U pad, and 3DS fucking destroys my hands.

As long as I can play everything with a Pro controller without gimping myself it's whatever, I guess. Don't care about the handheld mode, even though the screen does look nice.

Fliesen

Controller looks tiny for those hands. They somehow managed to make the Wii U pad very comfortable, but this looks more like a big 3DS in a way rather than the Wii U pad, and 3DS fucking destroys my hands.

As long as I can play everything with a Pro controller without gimping myself it's whatever, I guess. Don't care about the handheld mode, even though the screen does look nice.

to be fair, the 3DS has a shitty weight distribution - it's very top heavy, so you'll have to grip it rather firmly.

Close your 3DS and imagine the sticks (proper sticks, not a disk!) being at the positions as they are on the switch. Surely, it'll be a tad less ergonomic as the (already not super ergonomic) Wii U Gamepad, but it's going to be miles ahead of both the 3DS or the Vita.

deleted

Looks amazing! I will spend hours upon hours with this game riding a train. It's great that they changed up the Zelda formula too, it seems to go hand in hand with the Switch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Playing what could be the GOTY in the palm of my hands on this vibrant screen, with the newest rumble technology.

Forget negativity. It's worth every penny.

Shari

Hm?! The framerate is identical on the TV, the resolution higher..so why should be portable the best way? I dont get it. :D

I tried the game yesterday and the framerate is definitelly not identical and having a bigger resolution doesnt close the graphical gap from going to a phone/tablet screen size to a TV 5X" screen.

Concerning the framerate, on TV you can see the framerate drop when the game loads a new part of the area you're playing in, which doesn't happen at all on portable mode.

This can all very well be just a thing with the demo build, might be fixed in a month and a half.

knerl

I tried the game yesterday and the framerate is definitelly not identical and having a bigger resolution doesnt close the graphical gap from going to a phone/tablet screen size to a TV 5X" screen.

Concerning the framerate, on TV you can see the framerate drop when the game loads a new part of the area you're playing in, which doesn't happen at all on portable mode.

This can all very well be just a thing with the demo build, might be fixed in a month and a half.

How fast is it running docked? I have to say if they only managed to bump this to 900p (it's a WiiU game after all) while still running at 30fps it's extremely underwhelming. Might be a great game, but visually I couldn't be less impressed. No-one has to defend it and I'm not trying to start something, but for that price docked mode is underpowered. Clearly. Might be worth it for the handheld experience though.

Shari

How fast is it running docked? I have to say if they only managed to bump this to 900p (it's a WiiU game after all) while still running at 30fps it's extremely underwhelming. Might be a great game, but visually I couldn't be less impressed. No-one has to defend it and I'm not trying to start something, but for that price docked mode is underpowered. Clearly. Might be worth it for the handheld experience though.

Running the game docked, at best, runs like in portable mode, 30 fps with no input lag. And yes the games graphical limitations pop out way more in a huge tv screen, unsurprisingly. I also think is not the best game to display the docked mode since the open world nature of the game takes a bigger strain on the hardware.

Conversely, MK8 runs like a dream on the big screen and its performance is a carbon copy of its handheld mode.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Hopefully that stuff gets fixed. But I'd still rather play on my big screen. Aging eyes and some neck issues that make it hard to get comfortable playing a portable for long sessions.

Seik

Banned
That screen look pretty tight.

Was it confirmed IPS?

Zelda seems to work pretty well in handheld mode too, impressive.

Hermii

That probably comes down to higher ppi and native resolution.

AmyS

This can all very well be just a thing with the demo build, might be fixed in a month and a half

Jesus, I certainly hope so.

I was thinking about going to GS this morning to preorder. I mean, I am regardless, just don't want to feel any regret.

Charamiwa

Banned
I'm still a bit confused about this usb c thing. Right off the box, will you be able to charge just the handheld with a cable, or will you have to put it in the dock? If so, what will I have to buy?

Cerium

I'm still a bit confused about this usb c thing. Right off the box, will you be able to charge just the handheld with a cable, or will you have to put it in the dock? If so, what will I have to buy?
You'll be good out of the box.

And if you have any other devices that use USB C, those chargers should be compatible with Switch as well, is my understanding.

Damn, those are some tiny buttons.
They are almost the same as N3DS' and those are fine.
xnvrocawl3iz0pgv7azl.jpg

big_erk

NeoGAF.

Impressed by Switch so far, not happy with price.

I would have preferred a $250 price point, but $299 is not going to stop me from playing Zelda at my desk at work while on break. The fact that we are also getting a hopefully true sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles and I am completely sold.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I wanna look at more but I don't wanna see too much.

Stopped about 2 minutes in.

I really don't think it's the fan.

The audio is getting piped directly from the 3.5mm out into the camera they are recording with (which is why the audio is so good), and I would imagine the buzzing is interference.

The game really does look absolutely stunning. Have they shown off any other areas and enemies yet?

What a looker. Amazing.

Anyone able to offer WiiU level power comparisons for the Switch in Handheld and Docked mode?

e.g.
Docked: 3x WiiU
Undocked: 1.5 WiiU

Holy shit, that looks great.

Looking forward to playing this on the train to class every day. Then in between classes. Then during class. Then dropping out of college to play this under a bridge.

Since I'm usually far more concerned with frame rate than resolution or even iq, this makes me wonder if I'll even want to play this game on a monitor...

Is probabbly just me being a portable fanboy, but I am loving the portable mode much more than the console mode.

I severely doubt that even the doomsayers would deny that this is shaping up to be an amazing handheld. I find it really stupid that Nintendo (of America) seemed so focussed on describing this as Nintendo's new home console. That is clearly the weakest part of the system. Well, at least if we pretend that Nintendo does manage to get a rough understanding of the internet when the online system will be put in place.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
He tries to use the touchscreen on the map but it doesn't work.

That sucks.

Not sure how legitimate this is but someone here (I think in the thread a out baptism feedback for the screen) said that touchscreen functionality was disabled on the demo units at the event. Seems weird that they'd go through the trouble for that. Either they didn't want people trashing up the pretty screen, or maybe they were hiding a feature they haven't revealed yet?

Dremorak

Banned
In my veins so much!!!

Any time the negative news about switch makes me consider waiting for more games to come out before getting one.... I see this game and decide this will keep me busy for a LONG time :D so cant wait

Top Bottom