• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IIT:Udoubtedly The Most underrated GBA Game.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sgt.Pepper said:
I'm backing Astro Boy: Omega Factor with full force. Glorious Treasure game.
while i'll zealously run that game up my "favourite gba title" flagpole, i'd never call it underrated. its mere mention could cure diseases in certain third world districts.

10r965j.jpg

Before I catch everyone's wrath, I'm not saying this is the best or the best under rated game on the GBA, just a good game I don't see many people mentioning when they talk about great GBA games. I thought it was surprisingly good.

Takao said:
That game actually looks pretty good, although I imagine it was annoying to play, and probably didn't sell well.

One of my favourite GBA games is Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure, a cool 2D platformer/beat em up that gets ignored because it was released in the era of the Legacy of Goku/Buu's Fury games.
It was not.

I read that article on Urban Yeti, and i am not really sure what to think here.

oh yeah and that Dragon Ball game was awesome though it did get repetitive after a while.

Why would you do that? said:
Yet another game with no music. :( Nice graphics, though.

Astro Boy: Omega Factor is also praised in some circles. I have yet to try it...

Also, +1 played Drill Dozer. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. Game Freak's best music is in that game IMO (Pokemon Black/White might surpass it though. Warning: Loud).
huh?

Tobor

DidntKnowJack said:
10r965j.jpg

Before I catch everyone's wrath, I'm not saying this is the best or the best under rated game on the GBA, just a good game I don't see many people mentioning when they talk about great GBA games. I thought it was surprisingly good.
Oh man, I put so many hours into this game. I played every character all the way through. Great game!

Entropia

No One Remembers
DidntKnowJack said:
10r965j.jpg

Word. I got this as a gift for my birthday and WOW. I was pleasantly surprised.

Sgt.Pepper said:
I'm backing Astro Boy: Omega Factor with full force. Glorious Treasure game.

I didn't fully appreciate that game's greatness until I unlocked the
time travel/stage select stuff

Also, as someone who knows nothing about Astro Boy, it's obvious how much of the storyline and how many of the characters have been crammed into the game. It feels like it was made for fans of the series.

Codeblue

Yeah, it felt to me like a mans lifetime of work had been crammed into a 7 hour game.

But how great those hours were.

Also, glad to see that I'm not the only one that played Drill Dozer. Amazing game.

Not impressed by Drill Dozer. The drill mechanic was tedious and the level design was slow and made me feel like I was doing work, not playing a game.

I liked the look and the story, but I gave up when I had to drill to fly. The regular levels were annoying, but a little fun, but that level was not at all fun.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DidntKnowJack said:
10r965j.jpg

The best handheld Diablo clone ever.

The sequel is the best handheld D2 clone ever.

Excellent choices.

Well, Astro Boy: Omega Factor was a love letter to Tezuka lifetime works, especially Phoenix. Astro Boy is the main character because is the most known work of Tezuka.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
enzo_gt said:
hey this isn't a Sonic Battle thread, wtf man.
oh man you are awesome

it was a member of the gba triumvirate with Boktai and Megaman Battle Network 3.

flawfuls

Sgt.Pepper said:
Well, Astro Boy: Omega Factor was a love letter to Tezuka lifetime works, especially Phoenix. Astro Boy is the main character because is the most known work of Tezuka.

I should really play this game again now that I've actually read a decent amount of Tezuka's work. Were there any cameos from Ode to Kitohiro, MW, Metropolis, Adolf or Buddha?

Serenade said:
oh man you are awesome

it was a member of the gba triumvirate with Boktai and Megaman Battle Network 3.

Oh shit, I forgot Boktai.

Seriously, it's a truly great game with a great gimmick... which was disliked because of the great gimmick! Having to use the fading sunlight for battles was awesome, unlike anything else I've experienced in a game. "Damn, couldn't finish him off before sundown. I'll get him tomorrow." 2 was easily as good, maybe better. Shame 3 never came over. I haven't played Lunar Knights yet.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Night_Trekker said:
Oh shit, I forgot Boktai.

Seriously, it's a truly great game with a great gimmick... which was disliked because of the great gimmick! Having to use the fading sunlight for battles was awesome, unlike anything else I've experienced in a game. "Damn, couldn't finish him off before sundown. I'll get him tomorrow." 2 was easily as good, maybe better. Shame 3 never came over. I haven't played Lunar Knights yet.
I feel as if the game will be lost in time. It's such a delightfully unique gimmick too.

As the series went on, they added a few things that really highlighted the difference between the successors and original. Lunar Knights really feels like a significantly different game as a result. It's still a great game though. It just doesn't have that hook.

flawfuls said:
I should really play this game again now that I've actually read a decent amount of Tezuka's work. Were there any cameos from Ode to Kitohiro, MW, Metropolis, Adolf or Buddha?
All of Tezuka's canon appears in one way or another. I'm not quite sure about Adolf, though.

jarosh

hey, i try to bring up moh infiltrator whenever the gba is mentioned. very few people care. but i'm pleasently surprised it's got its own thread now. well deserved. it is indeed an excellent and overlooked game.

you could have at least posted the box art and a few pics though ;)

medal-of-honor-infiltrator.451541.jpg

mohinfiltrator_102303_02_640w.jpg
mohinfiltrator_102303_03_640w.jpg

mohinfiltrator_102303_01_640w.jpg
mohinfiltrator_102303_04_640w.jpg

mohinfiltrator_102303_05_640w.jpg
mohinfiltrator_102303_06_640w.jpg

flintstryker said:
That's because the guy playing suck, couldn't find any better videos.
Yeah, the person playing definitely wasn't very skilled. Playing it emulated with a classic controller might be fun.
flawfuls said:
Medal of Honor was a fun game, but for most underrated I would have to give that to Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars.
fd81ty.jpg

*internet high five*

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
aeolist said:
Drill Dozer?

Thats the good stuff ^_^

enzo_gt said:
hey this isn't a Sonic Battle thread, wtf man.

That game makes me rage!

TheOGB said:
Legend of Spyro: Eternal Night and TMNT (the movie game) are two damn good beat-em-ups.

Ya I got that Spyro one it was pretty fun. Dunno about that TMNT one I mean it is a MOVIE game after all x_x?

GrumpyAlien said:
I think Pinball of The Dead is a pretty underrated game although I can't be sure. I honestly don't give a shit about pinball games, but this one was really entertaining. Amazing audio for the GBA with some pretty cool (cheesy) voice samples from the HOTD games. Best of all it has some really cool stages.

There's a pinball of the dead? Thats as loltastic as typing of! Maybe I'll try an finds me a copy.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
DonMigs85 said:
You guys are all wrong

562772_49598_front.jpg
True story:

At the 2002 E3, I skipped out on going to Sony's massive annual party so that I could attend the Urban Yeti party that was being held by the game's developers. I still have my Urban Yeti shirt and frisbee from the night.

Also, buried in a box somewhere, I have a copy of the game design document for the overproduced Urban Yeti sequel, Black Rodeo.

Mael

ITT : i =/= t

Funny any of my memory of GBA that is not rpg related seems to have disappeared for memories of DS games...
I didn't even knew that was possible...

Boney

Banned
I'm sorry guys, but this is the only answer. The blame goes squarely on not localizing it though. On of the best for the system, sadly most people didn't play it. Go now.

rhythm.jpg

Rhythm Tengoku

jgkspsx

GBA Rhythm Tengoku was so much better than the DS one. Shame about that.

Urban Yeti <3

However, given that this thread has consisted entirely of the obscure darlings of those in the know, I think it's mistitled. I'd expect the thread to be about unpopular games that are actually pretty good.

With that in mind, some of my favorite actual underrated GBA games:

Tron 2.0
It's at least a solid 7.5!

Gunstar Super Heroes
Yeah, it's somewhat rote, but, helicopter level BS aside, I enjoyed it far more than Astro Boy. The story was amazingly interesting for a Treasure game - in easy mode it was good vs. evil, and became more morally ambiguous the harder the difficulty level you played. And it was pretty darn good mechanically.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
OK, I'll admit this got rave reviews at the time, but in the wake of AoS became less popular. IGA hates it, too, since he didn't make it. But with the different character classes, it was one of the most interesting CV games mechanically.

Donkey Kong: King of Swing
Repulsive cartoon DKC universe graphics turned everybody off, but this was an awesome, tight quasi-sequel to Clu Clu Land.

fr4nz

Boney said:
I'm sorry guys, but this is the only answer. The blame goes squarely on not localizing it though. On of the best for the system, sadly most people didn't play it. Go now.

rhythm.jpg

Rhythm Tengoku

yep! i'm still playing this :p

JimboJones

I do remember seeing infiltrator in a magazine and thinking it looked like fun, I liked the more cartoony approach and the overhead view. But I never got around to buying it :(

Looked a lot better than the MoH Underground port :lol

jarosh said:
hey, i try to bring up moh infiltrator whenever the gba is mentioned. very few people care. but i'm pleasently surprised it's got its own thread now. well deserved. it is indeed an excellent and overlooked game.

you could have at least posted the box art and a few pics though ;)

medal-of-honor-infiltrator.451541.jpg

mohinfiltrator_102303_02_640w.jpg
mohinfiltrator_102303_03_640w.jpg

mohinfiltrator_102303_01_640w.jpg
mohinfiltrator_102303_04_640w.jpg

mohinfiltrator_102303_05_640w.jpg
mohinfiltrator_102303_06_640w.jpg
Good good, i will add those to the OP later when i get from school.

I've never been successful in finding that Spyro game. I like the TMNT and Spidey games that he does though. At least I think it's supposed to be the same guy. I forget.

DMG-01

Boney said:

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rhythm.jpg

Rhythm Tengoku
I'd love to, but the cheapest copy I can find is ~$60. That seems pretty steep for a GBA game. :/

Ninja edit: Although, I guess that's how much my Mother 3 and FE6 each cost...

Boney

Banned
DMG-01 said:
I'd love to, but the cheapest copy I can find is ~$60. That seems pretty steep for a GBA game. :/

Ninja edit: Although, I guess that's how much my Mother 3 and FE6 each cost...
It isn't for one of the best games for the system.

It's incredible, really.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
People will probably disagree with the classification since it's a first-party game featuring a franchise character, but I never really felt WarioWare Twisted got its due. Best game in the series by a large margin, imo, yet far outsold by the original, Touched, and Smooth Moves.

Top Bottom