• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IIT:Udoubtedly The Most underrated GBA Game.

denomes

oracrest said:
I have been on the lookout for Infiltrator for a while, but stores always just have the other, really bad Medal of Honor.

My vote goes to the side scrolling beat em up TMNT.

tmnt-20070306023628046.jpg

tmnt-20070306023627015.jpg

Same dudes that did Scott Pilgrim if I'm not mistaken.

Why would you do that? said:
Warioware Twisted is better than the original. Too bad the Europeans never got it...
For me, Twisted < Original < Touched < Smooth Moves
D.I.Y. is a different (awesome) beast whose strong points are different, so I won't rank it.

+1 for Rhythm Tengoku. That and Twisted are the very best on the GBA IMO.

I remember the TMNT game. I don't like "stop-and-go fighters" as I call them, but it is one of the best of the genre I've ever played.

It just kinda sad when you play a game and there's no music at all. Feels depressing.
yeah but which game are you referring to?

Raife

The bit Generations games never seem to pop up in these threads, but since they were only releaased in Japan, I find most people haven't played them.

Digidrive is a little gem from Q Games, the same people that now make the Pixel Junk games on PSN.

The graphics are really simple and clean and the puzzle element is very addictive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYIMVMpydxI

Raife said:
The bit Generations games never seem to pop up in these threads, but since they were only releaased in Japan, I find most people haven't played them.

Digidrive is a little gem from Q Games, the same people that now make the Pixel Junk games on PSN.

The graphics are really simple and clean and the puzzle element is very addictive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYIMVMpydxI
DigiDrive is fun, but I prefer DotStream and Orbient.

What's my favorite under-rated GBA game? I'm not sure, but there have been a few mentioned in this thread I agree with, most notably Lady Sia (pretty good game, I only dislike the scoring system for how to get a perfect rating in the levels, that's annoying, and required for unlocking the hidden stages... other than that though, good game!), Karnaaj Rally (definitely good. It's not the GBA's best topdown racing game, that would be Racing Gears Advance, but it's a solid and fun title well worth getting, that also just happens to have some of the worst box art ever.), and Summon Night: Swordcraft Story.

I'm tempted to say that Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones is my favorite "under-rated" GBA game, because while it is worse than the first US Fire Emblem (FE7) it's still a very good game and, along with the first FE, one of the two titles that has dominated my GBA game play time for like five years now (it's also my second favorite GBA game, after FE7), but I can't quite call a Fire Emblem game under-rated, so I guess I'll go with Summon Night: Swordcraft Story, the first one. It's an outstanding game, and one of my more-liked games on the system. (When I think of my favorite GBA games the other major one that comes to mind is Riviera, but that's not under-rated, I think.)

flintstryker said:
the sequel is even better, really freaking awesome games, its a damn shame the third one never left japan :(

I like the first game best, actually. Summon Night 2 is good too, but I like the story and characters better in Summon Night 1. The second game's characters and plot feel much more generic, the first game has a somewhat unique and original feel to it. I love that game, it's my favorite action-RPG on the GBA. Good story, great gameplay, very well designed. Just a fantastic game.

I agree that it's awful that the third game never came out here, from what I've heard it's the best of the three, but probably because of how late in the system's life Atlus released the first two here (mid and late 2006), they didn't manage to get to the third one. I'm still hoping that a fan translation patch for that game happens sometime, because I really want to play it (and playing it without being able to read the text would not be that fun).

Oh, as for the DS game released in the US, Twin Age, it's alright, but quite different in gameplay -- it's a topdown hack and slash game. It's not as fun as the GBA games, really, but still is worth playing. There are actually four DS Summon Night releases in Japan, though. I wish that they'd brought over the DS ports of the first two PS1 games too, I'd love to play the original games in the franchise. They're strategy games, like some of the team's other games (Eternal Poison being the only Flight Plan strategy game we've gotten in the US as far as I know). Why haven't we gotten either Summon Nights 1 or 2 for the DS here? :(

There's also Summon Night X: Tears Crown, a DS only traditional RPG that came out last year, but while that might be cool to see too, I'd most like to see the strategy games. Well, I most want to play Swordcraft Story 3 in English, but that's not happening.

But anyway, yeah, I loved the first Swordcraft Story. The setting's interesting, being just in one town and the dungeon under it, and it's not even a normal town really, but one on a giant metal platform in the middle of the ocean, which they keep building up because it's slowly sinking. Swordcraft Story 2 is still centered around a town, but it's a much more generic fantasy town, and you go around into more dungeons instead of just having one giant one to explore. It's got better graphics and more graphical variety, and voices in battle and stuff too, but I liked the simple style of the original game a lot, and i do think the first game has a better story and more interesting writing. I mean, Swordcraft Story 2's story is good enough, but the first game has some great stuff in it, both funny and more serious. :)

Crunched said:
Superstar Saga was my favorite Mario RPG since the SNES. Might be my favorite overall. Haven't played Bowser's Inside Story yet, so that may change.

Bowser is just...well, how to put it: it's like having three hot, naked babes taking turns with your penis

Top Bottom