• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Illusory Revelations#FE (SMTxFE) - First Trailer, Winter 2015 [Up: Screenshots]

LX_Theo

Banned
I read your other response too, this one is easier to quote since I'm not planning on directly responding.

I didn't mean to argue that Persona 4 is a dating sim. Clearly, that isn't all it is. But acting offended and pretending people are idiots when they use the word is a bit silly. Relationship management is the biggest aspect of the game.

Anyway, I'm all Persona'd out. I'd like to think anyone not looking for a fight can understand what I'm trying to say if I can be clear that I don't actually classify the games as dating sims, regardless of that quote you pulled.

Just noting, relationship management isn't a mechanic in the game. Time management is.

I think it's more like saying Persona 4 is a JRPG with dungeon-crawling mechanics, bearing in mind that there's actually no dungeon in it at all.

Nope. Not even. Dungeons in video games means more than traditional dungeons and encompasses the dungeons you see in the game. Dating... Does not have that broad definition.

Going to drop it, though. This has gotten ridiculously stupid and not worth it anymore.

What if it's like Persona 4 (in order to not cite Persona, I could have said Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko, but no one would get it) and different segments of the game go through dramatic aesthetic shifts that represent different facets of the entertainment industry (idols, live shows with the sentai character acting...).

It probably does lean fairly into the idol stuff, but I guess it's just a possibility. It's not like every battle will take place in the idol gladiator arena, and some of the battle UI such as "artist" for attacking characters or the "Session" combo display could be changed to something else to represent a different visual style.

Was going to say the same thing.

Just noting, relationship management isn't a mechanic in the game. Time management is.

Nope. Not even. Dungeons in video games means more than traditional dungeons and encompasses the dungeons you see in the game. Dating... Does not have that broad definition.

Going to drop it, though. This has gotten ridiculously stupid and not worth it anymore.

Relationship management is definitely a part of P4. Those choices you make when interacting with Social Links affect your relationship value. There's also (very few in P4) instances where S-link side events can interfere with each other. The whole thing is interleaved with time management, good relationship management and time management go together to minimize the time it takes you to maximize your S-Links which in turn increases your power in the dungeons. Relationships are not necessarily dating, I suppose I should add, P4 actually gives you the opportunity to be purely platonic , whereas vanilla P3 certainly didn't.

TZhRMYf.jpg

LX_Theo

Banned
Relationship management is definitely a part of P4. Those choices you make when interacting with Social Links affect your relationship value. There's also (very few in P4) instances where S-link side events can interfere with each other. The whole thing is interleaved with time management, good relationship management and time management go together to minimize the time it takes you to maximize your S-Links which in turn increases your power in the dungeons.
*Sigh*

If the time management was just about maximizing your social links, then you'd have a point. But its not, since there are a lot of other stuff you need to get done. Yes, you make choices that make your progression go faster (which I'd argue is more time management than relationship management, anyways). I'd consider your argument more if the system had you manage the actual relationships (with risks, consequences, and all), not the time you use to pursue them and a million other things.

And I'm not going to be straying from this position, do don't bother. I want to drop this anyways.

And I'm not going to be straying from this position, do don't bother. I want to drop this anyways.

The notion that this discussion is to make you stray from your position is a weird one. It's not really about you, you know. I came in, intending to convey how I see things, knowing full well it's likely not ever be shared by everybody.

The best I could hope for is for me to understand yours, and you to understand mine, then we agree to disagree. Wouldn't that be nice? But no, apparently it's "ridiculously stupid and not worth it". If there's one thing I wanted you to be stray out of, it's that condescension towards anyone who doesn't share your point of view.

LX_Theo

Banned
The notion that this discussion is to make you stray from your position is a weird one. It's not really about you, you know. I came in, intending to convey how I see things, knowing full well it's likely not ever be shared by everybody.

The best I could hope for is for me to understand yours, and you to understand mine, then we agree to disagree. Wouldn't that be nice? But no, apparently it's "ridiculously stupid and not worth it". If there's one thing I wanted you to be stray out of, it's that condescension towards anyone who doesn't share your point of view.
*Rubs temples*

I'm making a damn excuse to drop it naturally while also giving a proper response to the person. If you really think the Persona dating sim discussion did not get ridiculously stupid and off-topic here, or that there's any place left in the discussion to do anything but try to convince the other side... then go get your head checked.

So stopping with the subtlety attempt... Drop it. Now.

I can't figure out if this is worse than what I expected SMT x FE to be... or unimaginably cooler. I'm sure the FE portion of it will become more apparent later on, but the idea of taking Fire Emblem characters, and having them become battle pop idols sounds immediately insane and awesome at the same time. I don't even like pop idols, but I love the aesthetic of this game, and I'm pretty sure I saw Sheeda/Ceada in the trailer.

But of course, I have no idea what I expected SMTxFE to be. This looks more AtlusxFE than SMT specific though.

Looking at it closer, I see maybe Volke and Rebecca, and Lyn needs to put some damn pants on.

Shengar

You're missing this

tumblr_nm7y2uMwHq1qis82bo2_1280.png
The first come up in my mind when seeing FE If is him lol
I really want to hope that's not Lyn in the trailer. Looks like her, but I can't stand that outfit. Something that more resembles her actually outfit would have been nicer.

Bad news is....that's clearly Lynn.
Like it or not, that's the style they going in with her for this game.
If they make the similar attempt to Isabeau, I can't do nothing but accept it too

NeonZ

If they make the similar attempt to Isabeau, I can't do nothing but accept it too

Eh, she isn't called Lyn though, nor her transformation's outfit resembles Lyn's outfit (differently from the blue haired main character who resembles a lord after transforming). She's also never shown wielding a sword in the trailer, only some kind of microphone staff.

Also, the one time we see her class icon listed in the trailer, it seems like she's a mage:

FExSMT_04_zpsyxw0on8b.jpg

Hmm, the analysis was good, but felt less polished than some of their others. It felt weird not to mention the enemies with the names of Aversa and Gangrel, for example.

Also, I just realized that the song playing in the trailer is almost certainly 'Reincarnation' by Kiria aka the idol chick

Qurupeke

I'm pretty sure Kiria and the other girl in the artwork are the same person. I mean, it would be weird to have her as one of the protagonists with almost no scenes at all. Kiria may be her stage name. I found it surprising they didn't even acknowledged their similarity. They even wear the same underwear...

Shall watch the analysis in a bit.

The first come up in my mind when seeing FE If is him lol

Oh, I'm sure it is. The hair and face are too similar, but she isn't referred to by name and until she is, I'm holding out hope it's not her.

Nice, I liked it although they missed a few obvious things, like Gangrel and Aversa as mentioned.

That and the other playable characters' names. Tsubasa Oribe, etc. I assume these things are harder to notice if you can't read Japanese : P

Anyway, I was actually wondering if Kiria was also the eye-patch lady, so it's good to get some confirmation.

Shengar

Shall watch the analysis in a bit.

Oh, I'm sure it is. The hair and face are too similar, but she isn't referred to by name and until she is, I'm holding out hope it's not her.
Their name probably gonna be different. Perhaps they'll have two name: real one which most likely gonna be Japanese name and their "stage" name, which is possible to be their original FE name.

The first one looks more like Sigurd (who also had a cravat)
They wouldn't make Marth without his iconic tiara, no?
Yeah, I dunno. There's a fair bit of Sigurd in that character, but there's also a lot of Marth and given he's the main protagonist you'd think he would represent Marth.

NeonZ

The hero's class icon seems to show Awakening's Falchion and a short haired lord. So, one could guess Chrom. His overall design resembles Marth much more though, so I'd be leaning towards him, in spite of the Falchion design.

Anyway, I made this post mostly to talk about "Lyn". I really think the green haired girl isn't Lyn and their similarities are completely coincidental. Look at that image again, the green haired girl seems to be a mage according to her class icon.

Now, let me elaborate something else.It seems like each character has at least 3 designs - normal, idol and FE.
FExSMT_12_zpsrj0rlf6m.jpg

Now, let's look at our "Lyn". In the battle scene clips, she's shown fighting with some kind of microphone/staff hybrid.
FExSMT_15_zps8993nnxs.jpg

Who is else shown using that weapon? Notice that big image behind her in the previous shot. Why there's this other girl in the trailer with a very similar hair color and also using her same weapon.

FExSMT_14_zpse1b4oxcr.jpg

So, "Lyn"'s, or rather, Kiria's Fire Emblem form isn't the one that resembles Lyn, but rather the one with the large twintails and an eyepatch.

FExSMT_13_zpstr68nltc.jpg

Here's a shot with the male and female leads in their FE forms, and the twin tailed girl right alongside them too as another party member.
FExSMT_16_zpsgilvbw9q.jpg

I have no idea which FE character she's meant to resemble though. Her class icon and weapon of choice indicates that it's a staff user though. Either way, nothing about her, aside from her idol hairstyle lines up with Lyn at all.

BlackJace

Guys guys.

What if their entire life is an illusion. And then it's revealed to them that their life has been an illusion the whole time.

2deep

TunaLover

The long haired singer (refered as Lyn) actually has three costumes, if the eye patched girl is actually one of her transformation, so far every characther has only 2 costumes, so maybe the patched eye girl is somekind of evil self? Or a new character, also "Lyn" has the bikini outfit, maybe the transformation is based on different levels?. As the fighters using helmets they look a little generic to be characters in their own, could they be just summons?

Shengar

I have no idea which FE character she's meant to resemble though. Her class icon and weapon of choice indicates that it's a staff user though. Either way, everything, aside from her idol hairstyle, doesn't line up with Lyn at all.
But from this image

The twintail girl is on the screen in the background. Just look at the outfit, it match.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm dumb. What's that big screen behind her supposed to mean?
Guys guys.

What if their entire life is an illusion. And then it's revealed to them that their life has been an illusion the whole time.

2deep

4me

I was down on this at first but it's growing on me, the pop star theme I'll deal with lol and it seems less like SMT X Fire Emblem and more like Atlus makes a Fire Emblem game and they decide to do gameplay their way, which I'm okay with.

The hero's class icon seems to show Awakening's Falchion and a short haired lord. So, one could guess Chrom. His overall design resembles Marth much more though, so I'd be leaning towards him, in spite of the Falchion design.

Anyway, I made this post mostly to talk about "Lyn". I really think the green haired girl isn't Lyn and their similarities are completely coincidental. Look at that image again, the green haired girl seems to be a mage according to her class icon.

Now, let me elaborate something else.It seems like each character has at least 3 designs - normal, idol and FE.

Now, let's look at our "Lyn". In the battle scene clips, she's shown fighting with some kind of microphone/staff hybrid.

Who is else shown using that weapon? Notice that big image behind her in the previous shot. Why there's this other girl in the trailer with a very similar hair color and also using her same weapon.

So, "Lyn"'s, or rather, Kiria's Fire Emblem form isn't the one that resembles Lyn, but rather the one with the large twintails and an eyepatch.

I have no idea which FE character she's meant to resemble though. Her class icon and weapon of choice indicates that it's a staff user though. Either way, nothing about her, aside from her idol hairstyle, lines up with Lyn at all.

There's twice in the trailer where the pigtails girl is in the background on a screen while the "Lyn" character is in battle. I'm not sure what that's about. But anyway in the screenshot of you have of that, why is the character's battle icon of a blond haired archer girl?

NeonZ

But from this image
The twintail girl is on the screen in the background. Just look at the outfit, it match.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm dumb. What's that big screen behind her supposed to mean?

4me

It seems like there's a screen behind each character's battle position showing their FE form. Look at this shot (or, well, it'd be better to rewatch the video to see it all flowing):

FExSMT_17_zpsjjss3eap.jpg

The female lead is in her school uniform in the background during this shot, but (one of?) her transformed form is shown in the big screen behind her.

There's twice in the trailer where the pigtails girl is in the background on a screen while the "Lyn" character is in battle. I'm not sure what that's about. But anyway in the screenshot of you have of that, why is the character's battle icon of a blond haired archer girl?

There's an archer party member briefly shown in the combat scenes too. She has green/light blue haired though, rather than blond, but I guess that could be part of the transformation. Note that Kiria's civilian portrait is the one with a "NOW" arrow in the horizontal row.

xaszatm

Banned
Yeah, that song definitely is reincarnation. The word reincarnation is sung twice (with a realization sung in between) during the part of the trailer where the Pegasus girl transforms her Pegasus.

Also another thing to note is that the spells seem to be from SMT while the weapons seem to be from Fire Emblem. We also see the symbol for the buff/debuff spells which indicates another presence of SMT in the game. It's looking more and more like a true crossover than what most people thought when the trailer first launched.

Top Bottom