• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Illusory Revelations#FE (SMTxFE) - First Trailer, Winter 2015 [Up: Screenshots]

Lunar15

I actually think we're overthinking the FE connections. It looks like there's two levels to it: Each main party character has a class, which is represented by what they turn into. Aside from that, there's also what looks like summons, which are traditional FE characters.

Who knows, though. We'll just have to wait and see.

The hero's class icon seems to show Awakening's Falchion and a short haired lord. So, one could guess Chrom. His overall design resembles Marth much more though, so I'd be leaning towards him, in spite of the Falchion design.

Anyway, I made this post mostly to talk about "Lyn". I really think the green haired girl isn't Lyn and their similarities are completely coincidental. Look at that image again, the green haired girl seems to be a mage according to her class icon.

Now, let me elaborate something else.It seems like each character has at least 3 designs - normal, idol and FE.
FExSMT_12_zpsrj0rlf6m.jpg

Now, let's look at our "Lyn". In the battle scene clips, she's shown fighting with some kind of microphone/staff hybrid.
FExSMT_15_zps8993nnxs.jpg

Who is else shown using that weapon? Notice that big image behind her in the previous shot. Why there's this other girl in the trailer with a very similar hair color and also using her same weapon.

FExSMT_14_zpse1b4oxcr.jpg

So, "Lyn"'s, or rather, Kiria's Fire Emblem form isn't the one that resembles Lyn, but rather the one with the large twintails and an eyepatch.

FExSMT_13_zpstr68nltc.jpg

Here's a shot with the male and female leads in their FE forms, and the twin tailed girl right alongside them too as another party member.
FExSMT_16_zpsgilvbw9q.jpg

I have no idea which FE character she's meant to resemble though. Her class icon and weapon of choice indicates that it's a staff user though. Either way, nothing about her, aside from her idol hairstyle lines up with Lyn at all.

I think she looks similar to Severa, but that doesn't really tie in further than Lyn, because Severa starts as a mercenary and not a staff wielder.

NeonZ

As far as twintails staff wilder goes, there's Serra from Fire Emblem 7. The similarities stop there though. Serra was basically all white and pink, from clothing to hair.

Hopefully the gap between the JP and US releases aren't too fair. I'm hoping we at least get it by Spring 2016 (thats of course if Atlus doesn't delay the japanese release...)

Owwari

Banned
Did Nintendo had any say on this? Because it screams "MAKE A PERSONA GAME FOR OUR CONSOLE" to me more than anything.

I do wonder about everyone having "class" icons if everyone is locked into a single class (you don't really need to know that Joe is a Knight if Joe is always a Knight and the only Knight is Joe). Perhaps there's Fire Emblem style Promotion , or some kind of class changing ?

Hopefully the gap between the JP and US releases aren't too fair. I'm hoping we at least get it by Spring 2016 (thats of course if Atlus doesn't delay the japanese release...)

Nintendo wise:
Awakening was ~10 months.
If is going to be at least 5 months (I'd guess 6-12 , with a potential extra 3-6 months if you're in the wrong PAL/NTSC region depending on which goes first ).

Atlus wise:
SMT IV was 2 months (but thats a realllly quick turn around).
Persona Q was 6 months (which is around standard).
On the other hand , Atlus is notorious for unreliable European releases (sometimes the same date as US , sometimes muuch later) with potentially massive lag in European releases (SMT IV was 16 months, but its usually 6-12 months).

So given that (and reading Q3 as late Q3 to potentially just before Christmas) you're looking at ~March at the earliest , and it'd be safer to expect July to August.

Did Nintendo had any say on this? Because it screams "MAKE A PERSONA GAME FOR OUR CONSOLE" to me more than anything.

Nintendo is down as the Publisher which suggests that they actually sign off on everything. On the other hand the last time Intelligent Systems did something resembling an RPG was 2007 (Super Paper Mario) and you're looking at Thousand Year Door for the last actual turn-based RPG. That's over a decade, so its quite likely they don't have any talent in that area left, so Atlus is doing most of the mechanics and art with IS doing thematic stuff.

Yeah, that song definitely is reincarnation. The word reincarnation is sung twice (with a realization sung in between) during the part of the trailer where the Pegasus girl transforms her Pegasus.

Also another thing to note is that the spells seem to be from SMT while the weapons seem to be from Fire Emblem. We also see the symbol for the buff/debuff spells which indicates another presence of SMT in the game. It's looking more and more like a true crossover than what most people thought when the trailer first launched.

There's Elthunder in one of the screenshot btw, although I'm not sure if that one considered as weapon skill or spell

Loptous

Most likely Nintendo just supervised it but probably just let Atlus do their own thing.
From the translated interview with the producer of the game :
This is the result of our collaboration work on the “Fire Emblem” series. I think many people will find it quite different than they had originally expected. Originally, it was very challenging for us to get the “Fire Emblem” aspect into the game, but we worked carefully with Nintendo to ensure it’d work well and deliver the feeling you get from the series. But, we were told that “as long as development of this title conforms with what Intelligent Systems originally would have wanted, and ATLUS develops it and triumphs through it and makes the type of title they specialize in, then ATLUS developing it is good.”

xaszatm

Banned
There's Elthunder in one of the screenshot btw, although I'm not sure if that one considered as weapon skill or spell

That's interesting. I would have thought the SMT spells would be used (though the name does make it easier to know right away what it does for English users) because the SMT spells let you know if the strength as well as how many people it will effect.

One question I still have is if the insta-death spells will be in this game. Given that we know we can chain attacks despite it being one person's turn (an SMT mechanic if I ever saw one), buffing accuracy before doing an insta-kill move would be quite hilarious.

Astral Dog

It was mostly supervising, they left Atlus in charge of the project and concept to make the game they wanted.
According to the producer:
“as long as development of this title conforms with what Intelligent Systems originally would have wanted, and ATLUS develops it and triumphs through it and makes the type of title they specialize in, then ATLUS developing it is good.”

Unlikely, but maybe Fire Emblem If characters are represented?

She has similar feathers on her dress than the maid here, as well as the pigtails:

That would be interesting, but I don't think that's the case. But she has appearance and potential staff wielding in her favor. I think she looks too young though.

Qurupeke

I just wonder if that was always the case. The game did take an abnormally long time to get a proper trailer. More than 2 years and it's not even a high profile title. The fact that its first introduction was clearly referring to SMT makes me think that maybe the game was very different at some point and they canned the original idea for a more Persona like game. Not sure if this was Nintendo doings or Atlus though. It could be as you describe it or just Atlus considering this style of game better and Nintendo approving.

NeonZ

The initial announcement had it listed as an RPG though. So, I think they always intended something like an SMT with Fire Emblem elements replacing mythology. Now, this "pop culture idols" direction might have come later.

I just wonder if that was always the case. The game did take an abnormally long time to get a proper trailer. More than 2 years and it's not even a high profile title. The fact that its first introduction was clearly referring to SMT makes me think that maybe the game was very different at some point and they canned the original idea for a more Persona like game. Not sure if this was Nintendo doings or Atlus though. It could be as you describe it or just Atlus considering this style of game better and Nintendo approving.

Maybe they were having a hard time managing both Fire Emblem and SMT gameplay, and doomsday vs human wars.

We might never know.

It took two years to reveal anything because the game was announced too early and Atlus went through some shit.

Eh, all you'd have to do mechanically is pay tribute to Suikoden (and I'm sure there's other similar RPG with large scale elements that I can't think of right now) and replace the RTS battles with SRPG battles. And SMT has a pretty good setup for human wars in the shadow of Doomsday (see Law faction vs Chaos faction , or substitute thereof). So I can't see that being a major issue.

I suspect that after the announcement the game wasn't even put into production for a while (hence the announcement not even having a thematic cut scene whipped up). It seems like the deal was only just made at the time of announcement.

Eh, all you'd have to do mechanically is pay tribute to Suikoden (and I'm sure there's other similar RPG with large scale elements that I can't think of right now) and replace the RTS battles with SRPG battles. And SMT has a pretty good setup for human wars in the shadow of Doomsday (see Law faction vs Chaos faction , or substitute thereof). So I can't see that being a major issue.

I suspect that after the announcement the game wasn't even put into production for a while (hence the announcement not even having a thematic cut scene whipped up). It seems like the deal was only just made at the time of announcement.
Yeah, pretty much seemed to be the case.

Prax

I think she looks similar to Severa, but that doesn't really tie in further than Lyn, because Severa starts as a mercenary and not a staff wielder.

I made a joke saying Kiria (? green hair official art girl) was f!Soren.
GREEN HAIR. MAGE. TWIN TAILS PONYTAIL (check his official art!). RED EYES IN FE FORM (okay this is a stretch because it's brown, but whatever! haha).

Prove me wrong, folks! lol

I still think it's probably supposed to rep "Lyn" in some way though, with the furry/feather stuff being reminiscent of Awakening art for the class.
lyn.jpg

But they just.. decided swordmasters carry.. microphone staves now?? And gave her Miku hair? Twin hair for twin swords as shown in the art??? Yeah. I dunno. <_<

It's more likely that twintails green hair girl isn't the same character as Lyn-alike.

Village

Like i'm sure it was more elegant and development probably just evolved with ideas.

I would like to believe they just went
"Uh so, you can start development, someone tells you me you make something called persona? That dungeon thing you made for 3ds wasn't an orginal IP?"

" Uh yeah its more high school, coming of age kind off thing. Some dating, a lot less serious than SMT proper. if you take a look at it uh... we can give you some copies. I mean you hired us so, ya know, its cool "

" Uh yeah sure great, be wonderful to explore more of your catalog "

* a few days of fighting for the truth and waifu's later*

" MAKE PERSONA. WE WILL GIVE YOU MONEY, LITERALLY RIGHT NOW. "

"But we already started making this... RPG crossover tactics game "

* Throws all development out of the window *

"PERSONA, NOW!"

( is this all we are going to do now, is this what we have become. Is this our final fanta.... OOOH Money )

Obviously that's now how things work, but its one of those situations where it would be funnier if business interactions were actually like episodes of " The Office " or " Parks and Recreation "

I'm really excited about this game. Sure, it's more a Akiba's Trip x Persona x random colorful PSVita RPG than SMT x FE, but we still don't know anything about gameplay (looks nice at least) nor the plot, 'cept that we're going to see Apocalyptic Tokyo, which kind of fits more in a SMT game.

Music choice for the trailer was terrible though. Seriously, after glorious P5 main theme... I hope this won't become the official theme song for the game.

It will.

NeonZ

It's more likely that twintails green hair girl isn't the same character as Lyn-alike.

Both have been shown fighting with the microphone staff which is associated with a mage-like class silhouette though. So, even if I and the person who made that video commentary were wrong about them both being the same, she still would have a pretty odd fighting style for "Lyn".

Prax

Both have been shown fighting with the microphone staff which is associated with a mage-like silhouette though. So, even if I and the person who made that video commentary were wrong about them both being the same, she still would have a pretty odd fighting style for "Lyn".

Maybe they just reclassed her like they did Eirika into a bride for Awakening. LOL

It could totally also be female Soren. Or L'Arachel. I am open to that even though it matches even less. XD

squadr0n

Finally understand what this game is.

Once I stopped thinking that this game was a crossover I realized what it really is. Its a Fire Emblem game designed like an SMT game. Not the mainline Shin Megami series, but the entire SMT style of gameplay with Fire Emblem characters. I dont think there will be any characters in the game not from Fire Emblem other than completely new characters. I dont think the idea for the game had been realized when that first trailer came out and is what threw everyone off. This is probably all old news by now though. Totally cant wait now!

Anyone know which Team/Team members are working on this?

DNAbro

Finally understand what this game is.

Once I stopped thinking that this game was a crossover I realized what it really is. Its a Fire Emblem game designed like an SMT game. Not the mainline Shin Megami series, but the entire SMT style of gameplay with Fire Emblem characters. I dont think there will be any characters in the game not from Fire Emblem other than completely new characters. I dont think the idea for the game had been realized when that first trailer came out and is what threw everyone off. This is probably all old news by now though. Totally cant wait now!

Anyone know which Team/Team members are working on this?

I believe it's the Devil Survivor team.

Astral Dog

its very possible the project evolved with development, and they just announced too early, these things change, and the goal was always to make a mix up on a "modern setting"

Now the theme with the idols and music may had came later, from Atlus.

Thud

I think we're still far from a proper trailer. Perhaps a new trailer at some direct this year will at least make a trailer that's comparable to Persona 5.

But yeah I agree it may have started out as a simple crossover once (Majin Tensei springs to mind). Maybe Atlus picked up on "the Pegasus knight in modern Shibuya" and thought that's interesting. Either way I think both developers inspired eachother. Fire Emblem If not only takes the motif of SMT IV, but the title may also be a reference to SMT If...

The trailer does have many secrets and that makes me think it could be a quite the lengthy game. Why bother having so much transformations and mechanics? There has to be practical side to this.

Like i'm sure it was more elegant and development probably just evolved with ideas.

I would like to believe they just went

Obviously that's now how things work, but its one of those situations where it would be funnier if business interactions were actually like episodes of " The Office " or " Parks and Recreation "
Iwata looks like a Chie fan. He has good tastes.

Really don't see why the Lyn speculation is still going on. She shares a hairstyle with one of the characters in civilian clothes, I don't that's supposed to be her.

Links_fantasy

I really like the colour pallet, def Persona vibes. I hope it's a success because I love both series and would like more larger in scope rpgs on Nintendo's consoles.

I'm really excited about this game. Sure, it's more a Akiba's Trip x Persona x random colorful PSVita idol game aka IA/VT Colorful than SMT x FE, but we still don't know anything about gameplay (looks nice at least) nor the plot, 'cept that we're going to see Apocalyptic Tokyo, which kind of fits more in a SMT game.

Music choice for the trailer was terrible though. Seriously, after glorious P5 main theme... I hope this won't become the official theme song for the game.

It will.

fixed for ya

jnWake

Looking at the GameXplain analysis I'm now excited for this. The trailer seemed too J-Pop anime for me but watching the footage without the music really helps!

I don't like the breast size of the long haired girl. It looks so weird on some clothes haha. I don't mind big breasts but if the modelling isn't done properly they look like weird balloons.

I also like the idea of characters representing FE ones. It seems weird that a pop singer represents Lyn though haha, doesn't match her personality at all!

Owwari

Banned
Looking at the GameXplain analysis I'm now excited for this. The trailer seemed too J-Pop anime for me but watching the footage without the music really helps!

I don't like the breast size of the long haired girl. It looks so weird on some clothes haha. I don't mind big breasts but if the modelling isn't done properly they look like weird balloons.

I also like the idea of characters representing FE ones. It seems weird that a pop singer represents Lyn though haha, doesn't match her personality at all!

miyamoto-o.gif

Effect

lol. WTF is that?

Was expecting an SRPG. Disappointed.

Honest question here for people in general. Why? Fire Emblem is a SRPG. SMT isn't. SMT is a straight up party and turn based RPG series. The Devil Surviror mini-series is a SRPG series but that wasn't what was advertised. They were referring to SMT proper. There was equal chance that this game could have fallen on either side of the line. Or been some weird hybrid. There was nothing at all to suggest which way it would go because we knew nothing about the game other then the two sides working together.

How could anyone have any expectation on this front?

Hoping it would be one way is different I think. I don't get the expectation some had.

Honest question here for people in general. Why? Fire Emblem is a SRPG. SMT isn't. SMT is a straight up party and turn based RPG series. The Devil Surviror mini-series is a SRPG series but that wasn't what was advertised. They were referring to SMT proper. There was equal chance that this game could have fallen on either side of the line. Or been some weird hybrid. There was nothing at all to suggest which way it would go because we knew nothing about the game other then the two sides working together.

How could anyone have any expectation on this front?

Hoping it would be one way is different I think. I don't get the expectation some had.
Yeah, there's been a number of people saying they are disappointed it's not a SRPG. Almost immediately after it was announced, it was just said to be an RPG. Nothing else was said for genre.

There would be much higher chance of it being a SRPG if it was announced on 3DS to be honest. SRPG is pretty much dead on consoles I guess.

Top Bottom