• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm an identity theft victim - advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaming_noob

Around March 13 I received a message at home with just the phone number and name of the person to reach out to. I google the number and it belongs to the CCA (Commercial Credit Adjusters) and after some research determined it was a legitimate company. I call them the next day and one of the first things they ask was if I lived in _____ address. I confirmed that I've never lived in that address before but I knew where that street was, which is about 2 blocks away. I let them know I've been living in the same street for the last 24 years so they escalated/transferred me to someone else. After some verification questions this person concludes that it's an identity fraud case and that she'll forward it to Fido as such. I never get a call back again and today I receive the following letter by mail:

fwn.jpg

The person I'm supposed to contact for questions is conveniently done with her shift so I left a few messages. Called the generic line and one of them refused to assist since the agent that's away from the office is already assigned to my case. A part of me just wants to pay this off in full and skip all the BS, and another part of me want to get to the end of this to clear my name and credit. What should I do? I need some advice.

P.S. I almost never use credit card/debit card. Almost always cash because I like to control my spending. So I have no idea how these people were able to open a Fido account with my info. In Canada.

atomsk

Party Pooper
prepare yourself for some comedic misadventures?

Identity-theft.jpg

but seriously, best of luck. I would be furious

Do NOT, under any circumstances, pay the fine. Do NOT. This is very likely a scam. Are you in the US?

1st: demand, in writing, to see exactly who you owe the debt to and how it came about.
2nd: Go here: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/you-owe-me-money

Basically, this shit pops up all the time. They're banking on people paying the fines without asking. If you have to, get a lawyer.

Go to the nearest police department, fill out whatever procedure they'll tell you and then take them to your bank(s).

Yes this. My wife had her identity stolen, she had to file a police report and coordinate with the bank and credit companies.

We now use Lifelock to police our credit. It sucks but luckily she caught it in time and all the fraudulent charges were dismissed from our accounts.

Camp Lo

Banned
I've always joked about it someone would do me a favor by taking mine but I damn near cried when someone took my wallet with my social and ID in it.

Good luck OP, I have no words for that situation.

pigeon

Banned
Are you in America?

Before you do anything, send them a letter back stating that you don't owe this and asking them to show proof that you owe this debt. As you have already discovered, debt collection agencies are happy to ignore phone calls, but if you send them a letter they're legally required to prove you owe the debt or leave you alone. This will at least give you some time to figure out the situation and whether it's really identity theft or just the collection agency being aggressive (which I think is a lot more likely).

Maddocks

how do we know its actually you posting...and not the person who stole it. Clever girl.

Best of luck, I'm sure it will be sorted out pretty quickly as you have all the correct documents and the person stealing it only has educated guesses that happen to be correct.

Anno

Looks like you live in Canada? That doesn't look like an American collection communication at all. I'd start by contacting whoever they claim to be the creditor, then placing a fraud alert on any credit bureaus (I assume they all cover Canada?).

gaming_noob

Based on the replies, this is what I'll do tomorrow.

1. Call them and ask them to mail me, in writing, what I owe and who I owe it to...start dates, etc.
2. Go to the police station to file a fraud report.
3. Register with Equifax - I may need to provide them proof so my credit isn't affected.

Yes, I live in Canada - and the letter shows I owe $1125.10.

SolKane

Alert your banks/credit unions about this, let them know there's a possibility a fraud event has happened. This is good because it also helps establish a paper trail on this case. Make sure to document everything, and thoroughly.

Don't pay it off. This shit happens all the time with cellphone companies and they will bend over backwards to this taken care of if they have good proof it wasnt you. Mainly because its likely the fault of a salesman who just didn't give a shit.

Also, that company is a legitimate collector company in Canada. Explain your case, they will help you sort it out. Again, this stuff happens all the time with telco companies.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I know how to deal with these cases of fraud, op. I can help you out. Just pm me your name, address, credit card #, copy of drivers license

Hope you can get it all sorted. Worst I have had was someone got ahold of my credit card number and bought some things. Luckily the bank just returned the money and went after the charge themselves.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
"Govern Yourself Accordingly".... Who writes this shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom