• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm faced with a difficult decision ahead, Internet or girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus bro. Chill the offenders. The internet is an important face of contemporary culture but by no means an integral part of everyone's house life.
I think this is a sign that I'm getting old, but I literally have no idea what you just said. "Chill the offenders"? What?!

You missed the point of my post. It's not about the internet specifically. It's about her lack of intelligence and common sense, which will eventually affect more than just his ability to get online.

It's up to the OP what he can live with, obviously, but my gut is that he can't live with this if he's posting about it on GAF.

Sora_N

GAF at work, go out of the town for free WiFi. You'll just have to make best use of your time with precious internet.

I think this is a sign that I'm getting old, but I literally have no idea what you just said. "Chill the offenders"? What?!

You missed the point of my post. It's not about the internet specifically. It's about her lack of intelligence and common sense, which will eventually affect more than just his ability to get online.

It's up to the OP what he can live with, obviously, but my gut is that he can't live with this if he's posting about it on GAF.

Bro i'm 45, if i can figure you what that means so can you!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Jesus bro. Chill the offenders. The internet is an important face of contemporary culture but by no means an integral part of everyone's house life.

She started it by calling the Internet something only immature people use.

How would she know what the Internet is good for? She barely has any.

I personally think forcing you to move in with her is the bigger offense anyway

It's ingrained in everybody's life now so it seems impossible to live without it, but limiting the amount of screen time seems to result in a much healthier and happier lifestyle. Staring at a screen is not socializing. Relying on it as the only source of entertainment is not very mind expanding. Depending on usage, I often think the internet does more harm than good. It's obviously a valuable research tool, but I could easily live without the social and entertainment aspects of the internet.

Having grown up pre-internet, I have to disagree with pretty much all of this.

Staring at a screen may not be socializing, but when I can play games or voice chat with people across the country or even the world? That is something I couldn't have done pre-internet and is socializing. At least, more than sitting in my room reading a book would be. Thanks to various social media platforms, I can keep up with family members I certainly wouldn't have when it required 3 days and a stamp to get a letter to them or something.

Only source of entertainment is not mind expanding? I can watch plays, see foreign films, watch TED talks on various topics and all sorts of things I couldn't do pre-internet. I would never have seen all sorts of British TV series, or watch films made by a Nigerian man half the world away. Ballet and plays filmed 30 years ago? All at my finger tips. How is that not mind-expanding? All my other pre-internet options remain as options.

I guess I don't see how anything is lost by adding the internet, especially when you gain so much beyond a "research tool".

Someone who has decided before she's even engaged where she's going to live the rest of her life doesn't seem like someone who will compromise much in a long term relationship.

"The kids are going to Notre Dame."
"But there's a perfectly good state school that's really affordable..."
"If you love me, you'll send the kids to Notre Dame."

What if you got offered an amazing job in another part of the state or God forbid, the country? What if your home was ravaged by tornadoes? What if the schools become terrible? This isn't just about Internet. The total inflexibility would be a turnoff for me.

styl3s

I would say "Look, we have to move somewhere else"

It's not even that a lot of the things i enjoy to do are internet related it's also the fact some very important stuff i do with the job i run requires me to have internet and i spent my life savings and maxed out credit cards to start my business and just recently got out of that hole and my business is in a good place.

I'm sorry but i wouldn't give it all up for a guy. Job aside, making me choose between you and X will always put a crack in our relationship no matter what it is and there is a good chance that crack will spread overtime and i am not willing to take that chance. I would come up with a compromise of moving somewhere else.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Someone who has decided before she's even engaged where she's going to live the rest of her life doesn't seem like someone who will compromise much in a long term relationship.

What if you got offered an amazing job in another part of the state or God forbid, the country? What if your home was ravaged by tornadoes? What if the schools become terrible? This isn't just about Internet. The total inflexibility would be a turnoff for me.
Well put. It's a red flag for compromise in the relationship. And compromise is essentiall.

Chaos17

Nah, he will still be able to access internet through Satellite.
It's not 100% bad.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Satellite is complete crap. Mobile is better if you can get lte. Latency on both is crappy for gaming.

what do you think LTE is?

also, i highly doubt they're going to invest in cell towers out in the boonies if they dont even have regular cable connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom