• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm faced with a difficult decision ahead, Internet or girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get her an account on the Neo. The rest will handle itself.

Have her discuss it with gaf. That should always be your first idea.

3z4RSEz.jpg

How about ask Kamiya on Twitter???

Your gf is temporary, gaf is forever.
I'm about to die.

Rootbeer

Banned
Internet or no relationship. Sorry but I'm not making that sacrifice for anyone. It's like telling you "You don't need access to running water, you got me, isn't that enough?" Short of being stranded on a desert island or a disaster, it's not happening.

She's living in the past. Get her up to speed or move on. Yeah, I'm serious.

Dali

I mean, I wouldn't date someone who doesn't recognize the value of the Internet in 2015, so I would make her choose between starting a new life with me or staying in the 80's.
This is what I was thinking. If I found that out she just wouldn't be my type at that point. If we had kids what would they be computer illiterate and non internet savvy? She trying to make sure they stay in Arkansas?

Living without internet really isn't too bad, particularly if you're 20 minutes away from a stable connection (library/McDonalds/Starbucks/etc).
I lived without internet a few years ago for about a year straight. I got really used to offline games, board games, doing things outside, getting better at playing guitar, and being with great people. If I ever needed internet, it was only a 20 minute drive away.

It's seriously not that bad. Sucks at first, but you quickly get used to it. Your girlfriend seems a little ignorant with how ingrained it is in your life, but I bet she's still awesome nonetheless. I dated a girl the same way - never had internet (and probably still doesn't), and she was pretty cool.

Internet is not like "running water." It's a luxury. Unless you need it for your job (which it sounds like you don't), you can get by without it.

Internet or no relationship. Sorry but I'm not making that sacrifice for anyone. It's like telling you "You don't need access to running water, you got me, isn't that enough?" Short of being stranded on a desert island or a disaster, it's not happening.

She's living in the past. Get her up to speed or move on. Yeah, I'm serious.

It's more like "we have running water but the pressure is shit and hot water won't last the day."

pharmx

Here you go:

winternet.jpg

But seriously, if good internet is important to you, is there a compelling reason she won't allow it?

Don't let your girl boss you around like that. Next thing you know she'll want to name your first child Breckin and you won't have the internet to tell you what to do.

Korosenai

So I've been dating my current girlfriend for a while and everything is going fantastic. But she has made it clear that when we move in together it will be in the house she owns. She lives about 20 minutes from me in the middle of nowhere( small town In Arkansas). She has shit for Internet, I believe the only option is satellite which is terrible. She absolutely won't budge on this and thinks I'm immature for thinking that Internet(good Internet) is basically a necessity now days. What would you guys do? And does anyone use satellite Internet? Is it as bad as they say?
OP, my grandparents live in a small town in Arkansas. All I have to say is... Choose the Internet. Internet is shit tier in Arkansas, especially out in the country.

Settle for internet, with good internet you can use dating sites and order mail order brides

Sarcasm if you didn't get it, Internet will improve in time at the home with your love

riotous

Banned
Really feels like for such a big decision you aren't doing nearly enough research.

You "believe" satellite is the only options?

You sure?

Owl

Neo Member
Satellite is shit. They overcharge you for the shittiest internet service imaginable. I've got family I visited in the middle of nowhere (literally the next town is 30 miles away) and they were forced to use satellite internet.

There isn't enough information to make any decisions.

If I'm wrong correct me, I'm guessing they are both young, both of them in school or at least she is going back to school. What do these two do career speaking? Why is the OP moving in with his GF who owns the house? Can't he just pay for a solid internet connection or does he live in too remote of an area to get an internet connection?

I'm just assuming hes moving in with her because she has the house... And hes going to miss the internet for, internet stuff and not anything career or school related.

I think this is more about moving in with your girlfriend, under her roof, than anything else. To that, I'd ask how much you are dedicated to her... But you can leave anytime you want, once you are financially stable... Are you now?

sgjackson

I feel like anywhere that doesn't have actual Internet is going to be far enough removed from modern society that other aspects of living there will drive you crazy and you'll resent her for the switch.

Do you want to live in the middle of nowhere?

I mean, not saying you shouldn't, but put aside the internet: it seems weird to me that she wouldn't sell the house and move in somewhere more modern and accessible.

Is she not on a smartphone either? How do you watch movies on Netflix?

Does she not care for any of this, or does she just want to live on inherited land where she doesn't have to worry about certain expenses of buying another home?

entremet

Don't move into her house, bro.

Totally changes the dynamic. Enjoy your independence unless you're really serious--marriage.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
OP, forgo the whole internet thing. Just imagine the rest of your life in a relationship void of compromise and where the only reasonable choice are the ones you don't get to make. Does that sound like a great time? Does that sound worth it?

Give your girlfriend a big hug and thank her deeply and profusely for revealing her nature to you sooner than later and run fro freedom and never look back.

OP, forgo the whole internet thing. Just imagine the rest of your life in a relationship void of compromise and where the only reasonable choice are the ones you don't get to make. Does that sound like a great time? Does that sound worth it?

Give your girlfriend a big hug and thank her deeply and profusely for revealing her nature to you sooner than later and run fro freedom and never look back.

Dude he can leave, this isn't marriage. But it sounds like she might be the bread winner, and hes going to live under her roof.

riotous

Banned

LOL.. she owns a home that she inherited from her family.

Not being willing to move out of your home doesn't equate to "entire relationship will be void of compromise."

naib

And does anyone use satellite Internet? Is it as bad as they say?

Yes, and yes. It is that bad. There's a 5gig 4G allotment and you have to pay extra beyond that. When new patches or updates come out I sometime have to span them over my personal phone, work hot-spot and sometimes my girlfriend's phone.

She at least agrees that "proper" internet is a necessity. We hope to be moving soon.

Catdaddy

The internet will always be there for you. Unless you have Comcast and it's 95% of the time.

Seriously, tell her to move out of the sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom