• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm faced with a difficult decision ahead, Internet or girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrcbandit

Satellite is perfectly fine for everything other than online gaming. The question is if you really want to live in the middle of nowhere.

Also, look into the pricing/data caps. A really low data cap makes the internet useless other than browsing GAF in a non image thread.

tbro777

Neo Member
The fact that you even ask the question should tell you that you don't care much for the woman. So in that case it would be a bad move to live together .

But if you really do care for her, suck it up and deal with crappy internet, besides, you know eventually there will be more internet options. Just how long it takes is the question. Where I live we had only satellite option until about a couple years ago, now we have Verizon fios and cable internet in the area. So my guess would be sooner than later the internet situation will improve there, unless you literally live in the middle of the woods.

Apt101

My job relies heavily upon having a great Internet connection available 99% of the time, but I don't think I could ever weight that against the love and companionship of another person. Why not find a place together someplace in your town? Maybe talk her into renting her place out?

jts

...hate me...
It's not normal that you can get "good internet" on the phone but not for general purposes.

4G wasn't created just for phones.

I live in a removed area myself, so cabled options are limited, but I just have a 4G hotspot providing me with unlimited internet at maybe 15/15 (which is still FAR from the best 4G can provide) and 20ms ping. Very good internet connection for most all purposes.

I get:

• Netflix HD
  • Good online gaming on PS4 and Wii U
  • snappy browsing
  • timely downloads for 90% of stuff

What is not so good at:

• HUGE jobs like cloning your whole computer to the cloud
  • Heavier multitasking (someone plays online and other watches Netflix, at the very least the online game ping will suffer)
  • Full game downloads for the PS4 take a good while

I've had fiber 100Mbps when I lived somewhere else and I'm still perfectly happy now. The drawbacks are minor to me.

This is europe though. Are there no providers in the US offering 4G hotspot packages?

I don't really understand some of gaf's relationships. First the purse , now this ?

When i was with my ex-gf i didn't give a rat's ass about internet. Sure i kept browsing , but we had so much fun together doing whatever the fuck we wanted , that there was never anything i would choose over her. But i had a healthy relationship , with a person i cared , loved and we had a blast together. I also understand many people are not really in that kind of relationship.

If it was me , and the thought the OP had crossed my mind , i would choose the Internet because i was dating the wrong person.

335px-Chojrak%2C_Tch%C3%B3rzliwy_Pies_Courage_the_Cowardly_Dog_POLISH_INTRO%21.jpg

Courage-the-Cowardly-Dog-courage-the-cowardly-dog-21182043-1600-1100.jpg
Get a dog and name it Courage, OP.

MilkyJoe

So I've been dating my current girlfriend for a while and everything is going fantastic. But she has made it clear that when we move in together it will be in the house she owns. She lives about 20 minutes from me in the middle of nowhere( small town In Arkansas). She has shit for Internet, I believe the only option is satellite which is terrible. She absolutely won't budge on this and thinks I'm immature for thinking that Internet(good Internet) is basically a necessity now days. What would you guys do? And does anyone use satellite Internet? Is it as bad as they say?

Let me paint you a picture...

After the honey moon period is over, you will both come in from a days work, have dinner then turn on the TV for the eveing, chances are she will get to watch what she wants, you will let her otherwise she will just moan, so all you have left to do is surf the web on your phone...

...Ohhhhhh...

kiguel182

I don't really understand some of gaf's relationships. First the purse , now this ?

When i was with my ex-gf i didn't give a rat's ass about internet. Sure i kept browsing , but we had so much fun together doing whatever the fuck we wanted , that there was never anything i would choose over her. But i had a healthy relationship , with a person i cared , loved and we had a blast together. I also understand many people are not really in that kind of relationship.

If it was me , and the thought the OP had crossed my mind , i would choose the Internet because i was dating the wrong person.

Did you not watch Netflix or youtube videos? Or played games online?

Having a good relationship doesn't mean replacing everything you do...

I think if you have to decide between a person and the internet then you have already made the choice and you chose the internet.

He's not even giving up the internet if he moves, it's just slower. If you value the speed of your internet over another human being I think you need to take a look at your life.

MilkyJoe

Internet it is...

cajunator

Banned
I think if you have to decide between a person and the internet then you have already made the choice and you chose the internet.

He's not even giving up the internet if he moves, it's just slower. If you value the speed of your internet over another human being I think you need to take a look at your life.

Its also the fact that he wouldl ive in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with long commutes to any workplace and basically nothing to do all day when the GF isnt around. Even when she is around, where would they go on a daily basis, some local shit diner? Walmart?

Wabba

If you seriously had to make a thread about this the girl is not the one. If you find the perfect girl that you really want to move in with, it don´t matter if you live in Brooklyn, Alaska or the rain forrest.

-Ryn

Banned

Much slower and far more expensive. Not to mention he would be living in the middle of nowhere with someone who doesn't seem to be giving him much choice in the matter (based off the info we have). She sounds a tad condescending as well considering that she is calling him immature for thinking that internet is a larger part of life these days.

There are a lot of factors at play here dude.

That's an extra 40 minutes out of your day too. That's a pretty big deal internet or no.
I went to a 20 minute drive to a 50 minute drive, and 50 Mbs Internet to 20 Mbs internet, to live with my gf. If you love someone, that shit doesn't matter. Unless it's career-based, which OP said it isn't in his case.

So you have been dating this woman to the point where you are willing to move in together, and you are worried about your internet? My man, there are bigger fish to fry when moving in with a significant other. Rent a storage unit put your stuff in it.

Edit: In all seriousness though, if you're willing enough live with this girl it's obviously some sacrifices will be made. It's your wifi vs. perhaps your future wife.

You had an argument.

Shes giving you the abstinence treatment/punishment.

Youre horny.

Theres no internet.

No. Internet.

Please, think of the horrifying consequences before you decide.

executor

Mmm Internet is like water or electricity, I mean, for me (and my wife, daughter etc) it's just a commodity and I would not even consider the fact of living in a place with no internet... like i would not live in a place without electricity, water, etc.....
Are still there people that are so much against internet ???

Monocle

I've had terrible internet before. It's endlessly frustrating.

If you seriously had to make a thread about this the girl is not the one. If you find the perfect girl that you really want to move in with, it don´t matter if you live in Brooklyn, Alaska or the rain forrest.
Yeah, pretty much.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So she just decided that's where you're gonna live, and you don't have a say?

And this is a big decision, too. Makes me wonder how else OP's GF treats the decision making process in their relationship (and him in general).

Like, do you get a say in other, smaller decisions? This doesn't sound like a mutually beneficial partnership.

If she was perfect she would probably be willing to compromise on something he feels is important. :/

How are you going to have time on the Internet when you're doing upkeep on your decades-old house in rural Arkansas anyway?

When you're shimmying up a ladder to clear out the gutters at your SO's behest, remember what you sacrificed.

junpei

Get her an account on the Neo. The rest will handle itself.
iunderstoodthatreference.GIF

The question should be, "help me think of options for getting better internet once I move in with my gf, who currently has shit internet"

Exactly.satellite sucks but you may be able to use a 4g hotspot

Is the place that you will be moving rent and mortgage free ?
if so then lack of internet is just a inconvenience . You could go to the library and do everything that you do now. or you could buy DVD box sets of shows you like and watch them at home . There must be a local McDonalds or Starucks that has free wifi nearby.

oneils

I wouldn't be concerned about the internet so much as her rigidity. Why is it her decision, alone, to figure out where you live together? Kind of a warning sign to me.

She's going back to school to get her masters :p

Who is paying the bills while she does this?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
does the electricity sometimes go out there and did she nonetheless buy a vacuum cleaner?
if so, you should not move there.

Much slower and far more expensive. Not to mention he would be living in the middle of nowhere with someone who doesn't seem to be giving him much choice in the matter (based off the info we have). She sounds a tad condescending as well considering that she is calling him immature for thinking that internet is a larger part of life these days.

There are a lot of factors at play here dude.

And the fact that he is weighing up a human person vs the internet tells me he has already made the choice.

His commute will only be 20 minutes, if he currently doesn't live in the middle of nowhere then a 20 minute drive to get to a big populated town isn't exactly much.

Do people here think that if you live outside of a major city you just sit on your porch and look at the countryside 24/7 365 days a year? There is more to life that being close to some shops and bars.

n64coder

Where is the nearest town with highspeed internet? How far away is it?

Is there a possibility to get a business internet connection? I have no idea how much they go for but perhaps you could be an ISP for your area if you can find some neighbors to go in with you.

My in-laws live on a lake that didn't have internet except via satellite or dial-up for awhile and there was someone who got high speed internet and then setup some sort of fixed wireless to give access to other neighbors for a fee.

Servbot24

Banned
Is she planning to move out someday? If not, I'd have some serious reservations.

If she just needs to stay there a year or two I'd go for it, sounds like a new experience.

Arkeband

Banned
Satellite is fine if all you're doing is job hunting or GAF.

But if you are a human being that wants to play a video game or watch HBO Go or not occasionally yell at clouds (the only time it's appropriate to actually yell at clouds blocking your signal) then you're in for a rough ride.

I lived in a log cabin away from civilization for my entire childhood. I pined for cable internet and actually found gaming on 56k better than satellite. Your quality of life is going to take a massive hit.

Fuck it, give her the choice between living in her house and naming your firstborn Breckin, or living in civilization and giving her naming rights.

If she picks the first, then at least you have two legitimate reasons to break up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom