• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm faced with a difficult decision ahead, Internet or girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joyful

ive used satellite internet op
its decently fast nowadays so you could maybe watch/download movies
but you can forget gaming, 600+ ping at a minimum

ive used satellite internet op
its decently fast nowadays so you could maybe watch/download movies
but you can forget gaming, 600+ ping at a minimum

You reminded me that the first time I watched the Matrix was through satellite internet in 2000. I had an uncle that worked for a satellite internet provider back then, and they hosted a VCD quality RIP of the movie somewhere in their site for demo purposes. :=)

I live just outside a small town in Arkansas and the only internet option is satellite. It sucks, believe me. I'm on a monthly 10GB data cap. We use it up in about a 3-5 days depending on how much I can savior it. You cannot play online games because the ping is beyond terrible. We're talking about over 700. Only good thing about it is between 12 midnight and 6am, the internet 'switches' and download speeds reaches 2.2mb. But who the hell is awake at that time anyway...

Listen, if using the internet is a big thing in your life, then I'd advise against it. Once I find a decent job I'll be moving to a big town in Texas, 20 miles away from where I live. Internet is just too important for me. I use Twitch for basically a replacement of TV, twitter is my go-to for news and updates, and I play video games. I only see more things requiring internet and if you're out there stuck with satellite, it can be a shitty ride for ya.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I used to live in the boonies and had similar issues with internet. Satellite was way too expensive at the time and the heavily forested area plus bad storms meant we would likely get spotty reception.

I eventually got a verizon wireless broadband where I just shoved a big plastic adapter into my computer's usb port. It was much cheaper than satellite at the time, but had a pretty low cap on data was pretty average speed wise, although for a hefty hike in fees you could raise your it to a fairly good limit.
It was basically like turning my laptop into a cell phone with a data plan so if you phone gets shitty data coverage, so will this.

I used to call the internet provider in our area every few months to ask when they would run cable down our way. Finally after years of bullshit they did it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
According to you, it's in a terrible location and owning it is bad business sense/terrible financial decision. If so, what makes you think there's a lot of interest in buying her house in the terrible location?

the goal of business is to sell something you have to someone stupider than you.

there'll be someone who wants to buy or rent it, guaranteed

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So she just decided that's where you're gonna live, and you don't have a say?

If I know anything it's sitting on and using property in a terrible location rather than selling it and investing it in something that might be more valuable in 30 years.

Or renting it out and living somewhere better

Depends on the details of the inheritance. You could theoretically be hit with a bunch of fines if you sell it too soon.

But yeah, renting it out is an option.

I used satellite internet for a few weeks back in 2009, even DS games on WFC were unplayable.

WoW ran at 600 ping. Phantasy Star Universe was hilariously unplayable.

Armadilo

Banned
OP get something out if you only get slow internet, Your in a relationship which equals= compromise, she gets her house with bad internet, you should have a card for something.

Not even going to lie, I'd choose the internet, no hesitation.

Although I wouldn't want to live in a rural area anyway. Did that for a several years of my life and I'd never go back.

tim.mbp

Shouldn't have led with poor internet. Should've said you were concerned about slow emergency reponce times, lack of jobs, lack of resturants, etc.

ValfarHL

Do you not have 4G in the umericas?

4G in Norway is limited to 20mbps on most providers. Theoretical max speed is closer (or above) 100mbps.

ramparter

Banned
She's going back to school to get her masters :p

It's a trap, I'm not joking seriously. She want to make you a different person, control you and make you completely commited to her. And in the end she will dump you because she hasn't realised she liked you for what you are and not what she wants you to be.

Tell her you like things the way they are, keep dating but don't move in together.

edit:
It's not about the internet, it's about this:
She absolutely won't budge on this and thinks I'm immature for thinking that Internet(good Internet) is basically a necessity now days.

That's an extra 40 minutes out of your day too. That's a pretty big deal internet or no.

a 40 minute total commute is a big deal? hahahahaahaha ha ha.

I live in rural Scotland, my broadband is crap but I can still go online and play games if no one else is doing anything online.

Satellite internet is even worse, although you get good speeds down it will have a data cap and the ping will be shit so you can forget gaming.

I get no mobile phone signal either, sometimes not living in a city is good though, I love where I live now , fuck living in the city with millions of miserable bastards.

>:)

Let's visualize this for a sec OP
JYZl7i4.jpg

That's your girlfriend with AOL dial up. Guy in the back? He's got Google Fiber. Would you rather be with her, or be that guy? Choose wisely

If the speed of the internet connection is the deciding factor in whether you move in with this girl or not, then it's too soon to be moving in with this girl.

IronChef

Banned
Unless she's a supermodel, into sex whenever you want however you want, super-smart and funny, the choice is clear: internet all the way. I'm serious.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
- Instant access to dank memes
- Instant access to a single person

The choice seems pretty simple to me

Edited, still only one clear choice.

¨The fact that you're even having doubts just shows you're not really ready to commit into a serious relationship with this girl anyway.

impact

Banned
Unless she was the coolest girl in the fucking world, I'd choose internet

If you choose gf, DO NOT go on online games and ruin other people's experience with your lag. Those people are terrible human beings.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I moved from a house to Fios to an apartment with garbage-tier DSL when I started living with my girlfriend. We're talking about 1.5 MB/S up and .5 down. I never really thought about it as an issue that would keep me from moving in with her. It's just slower internet.

You probably shouldn't move in with her.

The unwillingness to compromise and take a risk from her side, says a lot imo. The internet issue seems to just be a symptom of something larger lurking underneath. This is just from going by what you said though, I obviously don't know either of you so it could very well be wrong. But I'd be very careful before investing even more into this.

Symphonia

Banned
If you choose gf, DO NOT go on online games and ruin other people's experience with your lag. Those people are terrible human beings.
That guy used to be me before I got fibre optic. Now I never have games with lag, except when those kind of people you mentioned choose to play. Urgh.

maomaoIYP

Does she still have the ex-husband to deal with and piss poor internet in a secret location is just something she needs for her safety? (Or yours?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The unwillingness to compromise and take a risk from her side, says a lot imo. The internet issue seems to just be a symptom of something larger lurking underneath. This is just from going by what you said though, I obviously don't know either of you so it could very well be wrong. But I'd be very careful before investing even more into this.

maybe she has strong family ties to her house and/or the area she lives in? I know it is 'only' 20 minutes drive difference, but being around family, friends and where you grew up might be hugely important to her and in such a context, fast internet access is just a nice to have. You'll still have mobile phones and you can probably figure out at least usable internet for browsing and emails - even netflix maybe.

Tak3n

Banned
Here in the UK we use a website called rightmove.co.uk and estate agents reported that one of the first questions they are constantly asked is "what internet speed is there"

so they add a check internet speed on the houses web page.....

that tells you all you need to know

Nosgotham

So you still have Internet, you just can't stream shit or play competitive online games very well? Or is satellite so bad that you can't browse or email?

Are you looking for reasons not to be with her? If you love this person,it shouldn't be a hard decision.

One last question. Are you a homeowner?

Moving in with her might be good for your masculinity tho:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1043680

-Ryn

Banned
Personally, I'd stick with internet. Lots of stuff that it allows you to take advantage of. It's a large part of life these days and it sounds like you use it frequently. So no you are not immature for thinking so (you could argue she's immature herself for holding such a view).

Has she said why it needs to be her place?

StayDead

The breadth and depth of human knowledge or... the middle of nowhere in Arkansas.

I think the choice is easy. You tell her you don't want to live in Arkansas and get her to compromise rather than making you give up (most likely) your entire life to go be with her.

Amon37

After reading the op it can't just be about the internet. "She's made it clear" You both should have an opinion. Sounds like you may need to bail and not just Internet reasons.

kiguel182

Intenet is a pretty important part on everything I do both work and entertainment related so what you are saying is reasonable.

You just need to make her see it's important, get good internet where she lives or just deal with it I guess.

kiguel182

Here in the UK we use a website called rightmove.co.uk and estate agents reported that one of the first questions they are constantly asked is "what internet speed is there"

so they add a check internet speed on the houses web page.....

that tells you all you need to know

Yup. Internet is a pretty fundamental part of people's lives nowadays. It's not a "nerd" thing like some people seem to imply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom