• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm genuinely impressed by Sony's decision to make their PS5 First-Party Games exclusive to Next-Gen only! (Positive Vibes ITT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I can't help but smile about is the fact that a game like Demon's Souls is being remade exclusively for the PS5 from the ground-up.

The reason is because a game like Demon's Souls wouldn't necessarily be a system seller in the eyes of any other publisher which would have resulted in it becoming a cross-gen title.

Sony Interactive Entertainment is taking a big gamble by making some of their upcoming games a PS5 exclusive only, especially when considering the current economic situation.

It's something that I think will pay off for Sony as they launch the PS5 with games that can only look and play the way they do on that respective console.

So GAF, are you happy that Sony are making games like Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo 7, Spider-Man Miles Moreles, and Horizon: Forbidden West exclusively for next-gen?

giphy.gif

It will be interesting to look back in a few years and compare how each company's strategy played out

Last edited:

Robins

I think it's important.

Spending £500-600 on something that plays games also available on a £200 console is not enough. Because the game is still the same.

It's why I essentially always buy an Nintendo console for Pokémon. If said Pokémon game was also released on the previous gen too, there would be no need for me to upgrade.

I want the best possible games and tech that makes use of the new hardware.

IIRC wasn't there a listing for a PS4 version of GT7? I remember that making the news/rumor mill a few weeks ago.

It's a risky approach, for sure. I think them spacing out their end-of-life PS4 heavy-hitters from the PS5 will help those games get noticed; they didn't do this with GT6 on PS3 for example, and it got lost in the hype of new consoles as a result.

Going with pushing Spider Man and Horizon to PS5 is pretty smart, especially the former considering how well the Spiderman PS4 game's done. Pretty confident those are going to be pretty high-quality releases, and they're spaced out well enough to keep momentum going heading into early 2021.

How will that compare with MS's approach? We'll have to find out. However, I'm not necessarily sure it's going to lead to any 2020/2021 releases with giant visual disparity between the two. I know people like to bring up Halo: Infinite a lot for visual discussion, but was there any confirmation the E3 footage was from an XSX? Considering the state of system development at the time, I highly doubt it (the hardware wouldn't have been ready at that time, both just logically speaking and also if you take insider claims into account). I'm expecting that game to be visually stunning itself despite being cross-gen, and I think 343 are big enough to have different teams working on different versions simultaneously, not to mention a lot of design elements being scalable.

That said, even if cross-gen won't hold the game back on a technical or design form, their presence on a previous gen platform still means people who don't feel they need to jump next-gen just yet, don't have to. There's a degree of options provided there worth commending, and any success of the next-gen version we'll know is out of genuine desire from customers to experience that version, rather than a mixed feeling of genuine desire & assumed obligation by "planned upgrade path" (they can't play the game unless they upgrade their setup, so the upgrade is basically an abstraction between them and the game).

Drewpee

Banned
One thing I can't help but smile about is the fact that a game like Demon's Souls is being remade exclusively for the PS5 from the ground-up.

The reason is because a game like Demon's Souls wouldn't necessarily be a system seller in the eyes of any other publisher which would have resulted in it becoming a cross-gen title.

Sony Interactive Entertainment is taking a big gamble by making some of their upcoming games a PS5 exclusive only, especially when considering the current economic situation.

It's something that I think will pay off for Sony as they launch the PS5 with games that can only look and play the way they do on that respective console.

So GAF, are you happy that Sony are making games like Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo 7, Spider-Man Miles Moreles, and Horizon: Forbidden West exclusively for next-gen?

I think their strategy depends on availability and affordability of their units. If Sony makes it easy to transition then it is a great idea, if it is a hard transition then most of the current PS4 gamers might feel like they are being left out.

It will be interesting to see how the next few years play out and whose strategy is better.

Dory16

Banned
IIRC wasn't there a listing for a PS4 version of GT7? I remember that making the news/rumor mill a few weeks ago.

It's a risky approach, for sure. I think them spacing out their end-of-life PS4 heavy-hitters from the PS5 will help those games get noticed; they didn't do this with GT6 on PS3 for example, and it got lost in the hype of new consoles as a result.

Going with pushing Spider Man and Horizon to PS5 is pretty smart, especially the former considering how well the Spiderman PS4 game's done. Pretty confident those are going to be pretty high-quality releases, and they're spaced out well enough to keep momentum going heading into early 2021.

How will that compare with MS's approach? We'll have to find out. However, I'm not necessarily sure it's going to lead to any 2020/2021 releases with giant visual disparity between the two. I know people like to bring up Halo: Infinite a lot for visual discussion, but was there any confirmation the E3 footage was from an XSX? Considering the state of system development at the time, I highly doubt it (the hardware wouldn't have been ready at that time, both just logically speaking and also if you take insider claims into account). I'm expecting that game to be visually stunning itself despite being cross-gen, and I think 343 are big enough to have different teams working on different versions simultaneously, not to mention a lot of design elements being scalable.

That said, even if cross-gen won't hold the game back on a technical or design form, their presence on a previous gen platform still means people who don't feel they need to jump next-gen just yet, don't have to. There's a degree of options provided there worth commending, and any success of the next-gen version we'll know is out of genuine desire from customers to experience that version, rather than a mixed feeling of genuine desire & assumed obligation by "planned upgrade path" (they can't play the game unless they upgrade their setup, so the upgrade is basically an abstraction between them and the game).
Pretty much. Those new consoles aren’t cheap and times are very tough. I’m sure a lot of customers will appreciate not being locked behind a console upgrade paywall to play Halo infinite. The One X came out less than 3 years ago.
There will however be XSX exclusives at launch from 3rd parties and from 2022 upgrDing will be reauired.
I don’t have a problem with how MS is playing it as long as Infinite and Forza 8 are 4k60/1440p120 day one on XSX.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Not so sure that any of the games shown could not be done on a ps4.

Look at how amazing some of the games on ps4 look and play both exclusive games and third parties.

Ratchet and clank with their portal stuff could be done in a way that would be good enough to enjoy.

Unless every ps5 exclusive looks massively better than everything released on pc, xbox one, one x and series x and ps4, ps4pro for that matter then no I'm not happy and neither will the head bosses when they've realised that they've lost a potential customer base of 100 million ps4 owners.

Last edited:
Gonna be two or three years before I am able to buy a ps5 due to on going money issues. Would have been easier to buy it if it was on ps4 as well. Can afford to buy a new console just to play one game.

Jtibh

Banned

You and demon souls?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

quickwhips

It's probably developed to take advantage of the SSD... higher speed swinging, as well as snow deformation, more dynamic lighting and better textures and fps / resolution. So would be difficult to bring to PS4.
You sony guys like buying shit to many times. Its a mod for spiderman with reused assets. I wanted it to be reason enough but i think i will have to wait till spiderman 2.

Jtibh

Banned

Look at how amazing some of the games on ps4 look and play both exclusive games and third parties.

Jack and daxter with their portal stuff could be done in a way that would be good enough to enjoy.

Unless every ps5 exclusive looks massively better than everything released on pc, xbox one, one x and series x and ps4, ps4pro for that matter then no I'm not happy and neither will the head bosses when they've realised that they've lost a potential customer base of 100 million ps4 owners.
Its ok. You cant afford it we get it.

Bryank75

Banned

Jack and daxter with their portal stuff could be done in a way that would be good enough to enjoy.

The 'portal stuff' wouldn't work if you left people in the portal area waiting for 2 minutes while the next world loaded in.... it would totally destroy the flow of the game..... the impressive thing was that the pace was high despite loading entire new worlds.

Same with Spider-man, the swinging will be faster... you can't just increase the swing speed in PS4 version as the city will not load in in time.

GTAV will see similar improvements... if you remember the cars appearing on the road a few hundred metres in front of you. There will be no such pop-in.

now im wondering if i should wait to play my first Souls game on PS5 when it comes out, or just go for it on PS4 now...

it looked fucking amazing in that trailer

Its good but you can wait, there is no real story to any of them so you can do them in any order.

Start with Dark souls 1 immediately. Should take you about 15 hours tops

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Yes, I completely agree. Some people might say it’s not the most consumer friendly thing to do, but in a way it actually is. I mean, there are a bunch of people who can’t wait to get their hands on the PS5, including me, and we want the PS5 launch window exclusives to be optimized for the new platform.

Good move, Sony!

Last edited:

Life

I don't understand the point of this thread...Sony is making exclusives games for their console..like they always have for the last 25 years. May as well title it "Sony is making more video games, are you impressed?"

Umbral

I agree. It’s the right move, though it may not be the financially smart one in the short-term, it is more incentive for customers to make the move to PS5. I really appreciate their commitment to next-gen and not the cross-gen stuff. I’m sure it took a lot of convincing.

Be prepared for every third-party publisher/developer to have halfway games coming out at or near launch. Personally, I won’t be buying them. Not that it’s been hard, since a lot of what is coming out isn’t interesting to me anyway.

I don't understand the point of this thread...Sony is making exclusives games for their console..like they always have for the last 25 years. May as well title it "Sony is making more video games, are you impressed?"
You clearly didn't read my OP.

My point was despite the current economic situation, PlayStation decided not to make those games cross-gen to maximize sales revenues.

Jtibh

Banned
Yup, they will give us some cool stuff in the first month.
I am certain of that.
They have the ip's to get people hooked and transition.
They can play with this any way they want.
Its an expantion yes but it will be a good bridge between this amd spiderman 2.

In my mind halo should come free on gamepass day one to get the people to upgrade.
Maybe it already is?

Makes great business sense but I won't be buying a PS5 anytime soon due to how expensive it will likely be. Really sucks for us on PS4 because it looks like they'll be dropping support for it pretty quickly.

Bryank75

Banned
Positive reinforcement!

skneogaf

Its ok. You cant afford it we get it.

I have every system and will have every system once the new generation comes out.

I have one of the best gaming setups money can buy so please it definitely isn't what you say.

In fact I've just turned on my ps4pro, 65 inch lg c9, denon av receiver that's powering my 7.2.4 sound setup to play the last of us 1 addon "left behind".

And that stuff is barely 30 percent of my gaming setup....

And I'm sure levels could be made that have pre set portals in them within the level or be able to stream/load whilst playing again not as good but enjoyable... Yes.

It was only ratchet and clank that had anything ssd related that is a next generation type thing.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Jack and Daxter?
Head bosses?

jYTm7Ai.gif

Gamernyc78

Banned

Not a big gamble imo as gaming market history wise has been shown to persevere and do well even in recessions. But I do like how thy continue to double down on exclusives and campaign focused games with no direction on AA filler first party wise. Sony gives you a little bit and sometimes alot of everything.

Jtibh

Banned
Yup, they will give us some cool stuff in the first month.
I am certain of that.
They have the ip's to get people hooked and transition.
They can play with this any way they want.
Its an expantion yes but it will be a good bridge between this amd spiderman 2.

In my mind halo should come free on gamepass day one to get the people to upgrade.
Maybe it already is?

Pallas

It’ll ultimately depend on pricing. Better hope those amazon placeholder prices are wrong, my friend. Because we are in the midst of a huge recession globally, biggest since the Great Depression. Not saying Sony should have a fire sell with the PS5 console, but they need to be smart. Same thing goes for Microsoft too.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't matter for me since I'll be playing all exclusives and cross-gen multi-platform games on Xbox Series X so a game like Halo Infinite being on Xbox One doesn't matter or affect me at all plus all the games are scalable. In addition, only a few games will be cross-gen. Halo Infinite and Gears Tactics will be the main two with Forza Horizon 5 and Forza Motorsport 8.

For PlayStation 5, it's my exclusives only console so it's fine but I do believe that Spider Man: Miles Morales should be on PS4. I understand why they're doing it but not everyone is going to jump to PS5 day one or even year one or even year two so it's disappointing that Sony isn't giving the standalone to the PS4 user base which bought the game and expansion in the first place. This doesn't affect me but it sucks for those it will affect. I'm also expecting it to be $60 at launch which if that happens, not worth it for what will be 10-15 hour game at most.

Overall, both consoles are going to be amazing and there will be plenty to play.

Umbral

Doesn't matter for me since I'll be playing all exclusives and cross-gen multi-platform games on Xbox Series X so a game like Halo Infinite being on Xbox One doesn't matter or affect me at all plus all the games are scalable. In addition, only a few games will be cross-gen. Halo Infinite and Gears Tactics will be the main two with Forza Horizon 5 and Forza Motorsport 8.

For PlayStation 5, it's my exclusives only console so it's fine but I do believe that Spider Man: Miles Morales should be on PS4. I understand why they're doing it but not everyone is going to jump to PS5 day one or even year one or even year two so it's disappointing that Sony isn't giving the standalone to the PS4 user base which bought the game and expansion in the first place. This doesn't affect me but it sucks for those it will affect. I'm also expecting it to be $60 at launch which if that happens, not worth it for what will be 10-15 hour game at most.

Overall, both consoles are going to be amazing and there will be plenty to play.
Since the PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4, most people can simply sell or trade in their PS4/Pro towards a PS5 and keep all their games. It’s a win all around. You don’t have to play cross-gen games on your brand new PS5 and you got it cheaper since it could still play all your old games.

Side note: I hope the new Spiderman is shorter than the original. That game dragged on so bad I couldn’t even finish the first DLC. I was sick of it by the end.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The economy will be fine. We are recovering and it will continue to improve.

Is this a joke? I've literally murdered my neighbors family and have been eating them the past few weeks. I thought the world was ending. Are you suggesting that I reacted too strongly? Wtf am I supposed to do now?! I have 450 lbs of meat in the basement freezer!

Defund Police QUICK!!

Last edited:
I feel like I got great value out of the games, both exclusive and third party from my PS4. Even now we have some stellar looking games like TLoU2 and Tsushima coming out. I think it’s all good.

I understand Microsoft’s strategy but it simply doesn’t appeal to me. Also I bought the Xbox one near the start and I really don’t feel like I got my money’s worth from it. The amount of games, the quality of those games are not as high as sonys offerings. Sony makes more unique offerings as well(see demons souls)

I also could not give a fuck about Xbox game pass so I guess that doesn’t help.

skneogaf

Jack and Daxter?
Head bosses?

jYTm7Ai.gif

Jack and daxter and ratchet and clank are both the same to me.... Not in my collection.

Head bosses yes as surely they will lose a lot of sales for games that could have a ps4 version quite easily that won't be a system seller. Jack and daxter / ratchet and clank 😂 is one of them as ain't nobody spending 500 pounds to play that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom