• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm on Route B of Nier: Automata and I've completely lost interest

Sorry I disagree. I used Stun +4, Combust +4 and overclocked that made combat fun for me and in my opinion most intresting side quests were in Route B. To me Route C wouldn't be as interesting as it was if it weren't for Route B.

I wasn't responding to if you found Route B fun or not, but that people didn't experiment.

Don't worry OP it doesn't get better.

Hey, Route C is good. Well... parts of it anyways.

DVCY201

I prefer Route B. You actually get more contextualizing and a better look at the irony between Androids and Machines. Route A was actually the boring route for me. It barely makes a cohesive statement about the themes it approaches. Route B pulls back the curtain a bit, and then Route C through E is amazing.

LotusHD

Banned
When does the game pick up? I'm early, having just gone to the desert and
fought the weird naked dude that was birthed out of the robot amalgamation
, and it hasn't really been terribly exciting yet.

Next boss battle is really dope, but just keep playing, I dunno, sometimes people benefit from having that push, as shown by this thread I guess, but generally speaking, it feels weird to be playing a game with the mindset of waiting for it to "get good" and what not.

Don't worry OP it doesn't get better.

To each their own...

emag

When does the game pick up? I'm early, having just gone to the desert and
fought the weird naked dude that was birthed out of the robot amalgamation
, and it hasn't really been terribly exciting yet.

If you don't like the gameplay/experience by the time you complete the Amusement Park (the next area), you probably never will. Honestly, if you didn't like the gameplay in the prologue, you'll probably never enjoy the gameplay in the game (unless you like hacking a lot). Then the question is whether the story/implications are enough to keep you going.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I prefer Route B. You actually get more contextualizing and a better look at the irony between Androids and Machines. Route A was actually the boring route for me. It barely makes a cohesive statement about the themes it approaches. Route B pulls back the curtain a bit, and then Route C through E is amazing.
Well Route A serves as set up for Route B and Route C.

I wasn't responding to if you found Route B fun or not, but that people didn't experiment.
And I was disagreeing with you saying "9S's combat sucks".

Next boss battle is really dope, but just keep playing, I dunno, sometimes people benefit from having that push, as shown by this thread I guess, but generally speaking, it feels weird to be playing a game with the mindset of waiting for it to "get good" and what not.

I don't really play with that mindset, but when people rant about how much they love a game and you're playing it and feeling like "This doesn't seem all that impressive", it leads to wondering when it "gets good".

Jawmuncher

I just hope with the series getting “bigger” Taro drops some of the needless ideas. Yeah it makes the game “unique” but going by how often Route B comes up as a problem. It be better for everyone to not try and do something like that again.

The series staying relevant and alive going forward > being slightly unique in presentation that turns people away.

Not saying he should give up on some of the bigger aspects like story and such. But definitely rethink any big retreads. You got the sales off Nier: A not make the next one where everyone who plays it beats it more than drops it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sure, but it's still boring for me. I don't even think it sets up that much or does it well, given how Route B treads much of the same ground but with more details.
Well for me i like that Route A doesn't reveal anything. It made me make assumption while Route B slowly starts revealing the secrets and Route C drops the bomb. I personally fucking love it.

The series staying relevant and alive going forward > being slightly unique in presentation that turns people away.
I'm gonna go ahead and say FUCK NO!!! this exactly what happen to Dead Space. With each game EA try to make the game that have more mass appeal then the entire game turn in to something unrecognizable.

I love Yoko Taro games because gives that unique experiance that no other game has. So I rather that it wouldn't have mass appeal.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't really play with that mindset, but when people rant about how much they love a game and you're playing it and feeling like "This doesn't seem all that impressive", it leads to wondering when it "gets good".

Yea I hear ya, it's always this very thin line where people are praising the game, so it just gets in your head of wondering if there's a specific point where they'd got really into the game. I mean, there is Route C which has the tendency of easily pulling back people in if they're a bit down on Route B. But that's far away from where you are currently, so if you weren't enjoying the game at all up to that point? Then uhh, I dunno, may just not be your thing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
B was a waste of time. They could've easily added it all into A to make it better but nope they force you to replay through again for like 10% new content.

They should have merged A + B and had C as B.

Or even better....just merge them altogether into one single playthrough.

Route B was definitely a slog but the rest of the game was enjoyable.

Jawmuncher

B was a waste of time. They could've easily added it all into A to make it better but nope they force you to replay through again for like 10% new content.

Route B was definitely a slog but the rest of the game was enjoyable.

Honesty I agree. The whole “oh that’s cute I beat the game but didn’t” gets real fucking old by the end. I kinda get why it’s there. But it ends up just coming off as “look at how different I am” than having any real bearing to the game itself.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Hell no. The game is constructed the way it is for a purpose.

Pacing and punctuation carries meaning; Also Yoko habitually tries to avoid exposition dumps in-lined with the a-plot because it breaks the flow and makes people more inclined to skip/zone-out. He layers stuff in rather than stopping to monologue Kojima-style.

B is much more than 10% new content too, a simple examination of the chapter select menu shows exactly how much is altered. And besides if you consider just fighting the same bosses makes the game the same, I assume that also means that all 3 main story endings are the same too, as they basically all boil down to the same confrontation!

Take a break if you need to. The new bits in B and everything after are absolutely worth it

#RouteBDidNothingWrong

#ExceptForTheBeginningIfYouGoLeftAndNotRight

#MultipleTimesBecauseYouForgot

Hektor

I just hope with the series getting “bigger” Taro drops some of the needless ideas. Yeah it makes the game “unique” but going by how often Route B comes up as a problem. It be better for everyone to not try and do something like that again.

Not saying he should give up on some of the bigger aspects like story and such. But definitely rethink any big retreads. You got the sales off Nier: A not make the next one where everyone who plays it beats it more than drops it.

The franchise managed to make 4 amazing games while being utterly irrelevant. And those all have been amazing BECAUSE they dared doing hugely devicive things that turn a lot of people away, Drakengard 1 going out of its way to be a terrible game and spite the player is literally what founded his fandom.

Yoko Taros entire lifegoal is to "make weird games for weird people" and push the lines of what videogames can and can't do.

If the franchise would do away with those things it would betray the very reason the franchise exits and is popular in the first place.

You say route B often comes up as a problem, but just as often you see people praising the games route c tease and intro as one of the highest points of the game as well as the first Niers B for that exact thing.

Jawmuncher

The franchise managed to make 4 amazing games while being utterly irrelevant. And those all have been amazing BECAUSE they dared doing hugely devicive things that turn a lot of people away, Drakengard 1 going out of its way to be a terrible game and spite the player is literally what founded his fandom.

Yoko Taros entire lifegoal is to "make weird games for weird people" and push the lines of what videogames can and can't do.

If the franchise would do away with those things it would betray the very reason the franchise exits and is popular in the first place.

You say route B often comes up as a problem, but just as often you see people praising the games route c tease and intro as one of the highest points of the game as well as the first Niers B for that exact thing.

Yeah that was also when Square didn’t have high expectations for the series going forward like they do now. You can be highly successful and slightly weird unique or not so successful and more unique and weird. You can’t be both. Hell Nier Automata already shows signs of regression when compared to the original Nier and it’s far more whacky nature.

Regardless I’m not saying he should give up on the whackiness. He just needs to structure his game better. There shouldn’t be any reason why people are getting bored on Route B. Wouldn’t you want more people to just play the game and get to said Route C without crying about it like we have seen in numerous threads and other places.

Nier’s a good game. But it isn’t free from flaws and not all of Taro’s ideas are great or even needed for the experience.

Hektor

Yeah that was also when Square didn’t have high expectations for the series going forward like they do now. You can be highly successful and slightly weird unique or not so successful and more unique and weird. You can’t be both. Hell Nier Automata already shows signs of regression when compared to the original Nier and it’s far more whacky nature.

Regardless I’m not saying he should give up on the whackiness. He just needs to structure his game better. There shouldn’t be any reason why people are getting bored on Route B. Wouldn’t you want more people to just play the game and get to said Route C without crying about it like we have seen in numerous threads and other places.

Nier’s a good game. But it isn’t free from flaws and not all of Taro’s ideas are great or even needed for the experience.

While I'm happy that taro is mainstream enough that other enthusiast gamers know his name, I don't want people to play his games for the sake of playing his games. I want people to play his games becausen they appreciate them for what they are.

I don't care about how many people are playing his games if his games are streamlined into "yet another jrpg" regardless of wether or not route B specifically is boring.

Arkeband

Banned

The only thing that could have really improved Automata's Route B would be even more 9S-only scenes. Otherwise, it set out to do and, IMO, succeeded in being just like Nier's B.

"There shouldn't be any reason people are getting bored on Route B" is an unobtainable goal. Some people got bored on Route A. That just means this game isn't for them. Maybe they don't like post-futurism, or are turned off by anime aesthetic. You can't force someone to appreciate art.

And that's not a knock against people who can't. This isn't me saying "maybe they should go play something they'd like more like Madden #168363", it's just the truth. I would recommend Nier Automata to some of my friends (and I have) and there are other friends I have that would simply not "get it" and be bored.

LotusHD

Banned
Only thing Route B needed was to make 9S a bit more fun to play. Would've liked more variation regarding how he fights by telepathically controlling his weapons.

But yea, will always disagree with those that say to just mesh it and Route A together and call it a day.

I might be wrong, but the only repeated cutscene that has new elements added is the last one, otherwise it's either an old cutscene or a brand new one which you can determine pretty quickly.

I don't think that's true. There's a couple of cutscenes with those ghost ladies showing up, no? That are largely the same as route A except that one aspect.

Arkeband

Banned
I don't think that's true. There's a couple of cutscenes with those ghost ladies showing up, no? That are largely the same as route A except that one aspect.

Maybe. If they did, I didn't notice them, as I distinctly remember first seeing them at the end of B.

-NeoTB1-

I'm in the same boat, OP. I got it at launch, played through Route A and pretty much every single side thing I could find. Got to Route B and quit after about 2 hours. I'll probably go back to it eventually, though. I really enjoyed most of it.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have a good personal estimate of how long it'd take to finish the entire game without doing any sidequests?

I'm a main-quest only kind of guy.

Crayon

I found route b less fun than a, but it was worthwhile because it invites reflection. While I could see the plot "twist" coming, trying to understand certain personal motivations as I reviewed our adventure from a slightly different perspective made the time go by quickly or perhaps was a different kind of fun. Especially the payoff later when I saw that my doubts about the emotional makeup of characters were not unfounded.

Beautiful game. Route b not that fun? That's beautiful too. I looks back on it more fondly than anything I've played in a long while and I am looking forward to playing it again.

Yea I hear ya, it's always this very thin line where people are praising the game, so it just gets in your head of wondering if there's a specific point where they'd got really into the game. I mean, there is Route C which has the tendency of easily pulling back people in if they're a bit down on Route B. But that's far away from where you are currently, so if you weren't enjoying the game at all up to that point? Then uhh, I dunno, may just not be your thing.

I mean, I certainly don't *dislike* the game. But so far it feels like a lot of running through open, bland environments and fighting the same couple enemies, none of which do anything very interesting, while listening to incredible music.

So, as per the advice of most people in this thread, I forced myself through Route B to experience the rest of the game. Man, I should have listened to the three of you who suggested to just stop playing outright.

I've just completed (properly this time, I hope) the game. My indifference felt during Route B unfortunately turned into complete resentment during the course of Route C. I don't think I've ever wanted so badly for a game to end than Nier: Automata. What a slog. The forced walking section
where 2B is infected with a virus and has to make it to the shopping center
provided no end of frustration. I died three times because I ended up backed into a corner on some part of the map with no way to escape or retaliate, so the enemies would just wail on me completely. That part almost had me flinging my controller out the window. Then along comes Hegel, this spectacular mess and absurdly huge difficulty spike of a boss battle that forced me to adjust the difficulty to easy and turn on the auto chips. And then
Pascal's village goes up in flames, which I saw coming the moment I first stepped into the place
, I control the slowest giant robot in video gaming history for a bit and a lot of depressing shit unfolds. I complained in the opening post of the thread about the combat being too simplistic to sustain such a long game, so the fact that the last few hours REALLY doubled down on fighting were excruciating. The constantly shifting perspective during the penultimate boss fight was especially obnoxious.

Needless to say, I think the damage was already done from spending so much time on mediocre side quests in Route A and then replaying through the same events in Route B. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case and I'd be invested in the story again come Route C, but unfortunately it had the opposite effect. Such a disappointment that it turned out this way.

The only thing that could have really improved Automata's Route B would be even more 9S-only scenes. Otherwise, it set out to do and, IMO, succeeded in being just like Nier's B.

I think they could have done a lot to improve the pacing of the second playthrough, starting with improving 9S' combat. The most interesting part of the change in mechanics was mind-numbingly boring to me within a half hour.

This reads like you didn't see Ending E. Fix that.
Takes like an extra 20 minutes and you should know how to reach it
Choose the other option at the end

I don't think that will help. I generally felt similar to that person and thought ending E, while cute, was just kind of neat. I didn't find it particularly special.

Ascheroth

So, as per the advice of most people in this thread, I forced myself through Route B to experience the rest of the game. Man, I should have listened to the three of you who suggested to just stop playing outright.

I've just completed (properly this time, I hope) the game. My indifference felt during Route B unfortunately turned into complete resentment during the course of Route C. I don't think I've ever wanted so badly for a game to end than Nier: Automata. What a slog. The forced walking section
provided no end of frustration. I died three times because I ended up backed into a corner on some part of the map with no way to escape or retaliate, so the enemies would just wail on me completely. That part almost had me flinging my controller out the window. Then along comes Hegel, this spectacular mess and absurdly huge difficulty spike of a boss battle that forced me to adjust the difficulty to easy and turn on the auto chips. And then
Pascal's village goes up in flames, which I saw coming the moment I first stepped into the place
, I control the slowest giant robot in video gaming history for a bit and a lot of depressing shit unfolds. I complained in the opening post of the thread about the combat being too simplistic to sustain such a long game, so the fact that the last few hours REALLY doubled down on fighting were excruciating. The constantly shifting perspective during the penultimate boss fight was especially obnoxious.

Needless to say, I think the damage was already done from spending so much time on mediocre side quests in Route A and then replaying through the same events in Route B. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case and I'd be invested in the story again come Route C, but unfortunately it had the opposite effect. Such a disappointment that it turned out this way.

rubius01

If he didn’t like C and the tower, I highly doubt he’ll go for E. It’s time you cut bait and move on.

Jawmuncher

I told ya man. At least you still tried.

If he didn’t like C and the tower, I highly doubt he’ll go for E. It’s time you cut bait and move on.

Pretty much. I've yet to see any large number of people dislike Route B or later and magically go "IT ALL PAYED OFF AT THE END!". If they're not even getting a kick from the story now. The revelations later aren't going to be much for them.

JackelZXA

Route B is kind of the low point, but Route C is the best part of the game and I'd reccomend just blitzing through B. You can clear it pretty fast with the hacking. 9S isn't there for alot of 2B's story afterall, so you won't be repeating her entire game.

Ending E is so short and you're basically already there so you might as well do it just to totally wrap things up. But yeah, I do agree that if you weren't enjoying the game itself up to that point, it won't suddenly change your mind on how you felt about its gameplay in the moment.

Ferr986

If he didn't like the game Ending E won't fix shit. It's neat, but it changes 0 about the game. Just because you see some clever ending screen you won't magically like the whole game.

Arkeband

Banned
I think they could have done a lot to improve the pacing of the second playthrough, starting with improving 9S' combat. The most interesting part of the change in mechanics was mind-numbingly boring to me within a half hour.

But 9S is not a combat android, so they couldn't really go too far with adding to his combat - he already has altered movesets that are slightly more defensive/evasive. It's a design choice based on story that worked for me as I was never underleveled, but I can see some people feeling underwhelmed as if they just got handed Dan from Street Fighter.

Ferr986

But 9S is not a combat android, so they couldn't really go too far with adding to his combat - he already has altered movesets that are slightly more defensive/evasive. It's a design choice based on story that worked for me as I was never underleveled, but I can see some people feeling underwhelmed as if they just got handed Dan from Street Fighter.

IMO the problem is that the alternative style of 9S is kind of a shmup. And there's already a lot of shmup sections in the game, so adding even more with 9S may feel tiring if you're not fond of that style.

Arkeband

Banned
IMO the problem is that the alternative style of 9S is kind of a shmup. And there's already a lot of shmup sections in the game, so adding even more with 9S may feel tiring if you're not fond of that style.

Sure, but you're not forced to hack - if you're properly leveled it's not much faster than just going to town on them with your weapon, which is what I did. I didn't even resort to spears, I was clever enough with chips that my melee attacks were more than enough. I only really hacked things when it would save me time or I had a feeling it would play visual novel type backstory segments.

This post echoes my sentiments about the game exactly, and it's inconceivable to me that more people didn't take issue with the simplicity of the combat. Route C is indeed an agonizing slog.

Manu

This post echoes my sentiments about the game exactly, and it's inconceivable to me that more people didn't take issue with the simplicity of the combat. Route C is indeed an agonizing slog.

Maybe some people liked the combat because of its simplicity, not in spite of it?

Top Bottom