• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm on Route B of Nier: Automata and I've completely lost interest

corn_fest

So, as per the advice of most people in this thread, I forced myself through Route B to experience the rest of the game. Man, I should have listened to the three of you who suggested to just stop playing outright.

I've just completed (properly this time, I hope) the game. My indifference felt during Route B unfortunately turned into complete resentment during the course of Route C. I don't think I've ever wanted so badly for a game to end than Nier: Automata. What a slog. The forced walking section
where 2B is infected with a virus and has to make it to the shopping center
provided no end of frustration. I died three times because I ended up backed into a corner on some part of the map with no way to escape or retaliate, so the enemies would just wail on me completely. That part almost had me flinging my controller out the window. Then along comes Hegel, this spectacular mess and absurdly huge difficulty spike of a boss battle that forced me to adjust the difficulty to easy and turn on the auto chips. And then
Pascal's village goes up in flames, which I saw coming the moment I first stepped into the place
, I control the slowest giant robot in video gaming history for a bit and a lot of depressing shit unfolds. I complained in the opening post of the thread about the combat being too simplistic to sustain such a long game, so the fact that the last few hours REALLY doubled down on fighting were excruciating. The constantly shifting perspective during the penultimate boss fight was especially obnoxious.

Needless to say, I think the damage was already done from spending so much time on mediocre side quests in Route A and then replaying through the same events in Route B. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case and I'd be invested in the story again come Route C, but unfortunately it had the opposite effect. Such a disappointment that it turned out this way.

Yep this captures my feelings as well - I hated this game by the time I forced myself through to the end. Not sure why I believed GAF that the story was anything special, it's barely coherent and totally subpar compared to something like Zero Escape, etc., not to mention twice as obnoxious with its edgy middle-schooler level interpretations of philosophy being shoved in your face all the time.

Manbig

Nah it's fine to skip. I just blazed through B a few days ago in one 3 hour sitting. It is fairly obvious when something new comes up, and those bits tend to be segmented into their own short cutscenes rather than something that is part of a batch of rehashed stuff that can only be skipped as a chunk.

For example, the bits where the pods talk to each other, or the puppet shows.

Honestly, it really feels like people are making a mountain out of a molehill simply because it is labeled as a "second playthrough"

ZOONAMI

Yeah I’m don’t think the game is really for everyone. I played a few hours and found it rather boring, and the lack of a save through the intro was annoying. It’s ok if everyone doesn’t adore it.

This reads like you didn't see Ending E. Fix that.
Takes like an extra 20 minutes and you should know how to reach it
Choose the other option at the end

I just watched it. Shockingly, it did little to alter my opinion of the overall experience.

This post echoes my sentiments about the game exactly, and it's inconceivable to me that more people didn't take issue with the simplicity of the combat. Route C is indeed an agonizing slog.

I liked the combat initially. But after 20 hours or so, it's just... enough!

Ferr986

Sure, but you're not forced to hack - if you're properly leveled it's not much faster than just going to town on them with your weapon, which is what I did. I didn't even resort to spears, I was clever enough with chips that my melee attacks were more than enough. I only really hacked things when it would save me time or I had a feeling it would play visual novel type backstory segments.

Yes but that's the problem, 9S is unnecesary simplistic with being 1 button only. Just having 2 buttons, even with less combos or less weapon variety, would help a lot.

Honestly, the notion that 9S is not a combat android doest fly when (ending spoilers)
you beat the same bosses and enemies easily and even you (sorta) win against A2 in one of the endings.

sonicmj1

So, as per the advice of most people in this thread, I forced myself through Route B to experience the rest of the game. Man, I should have listened to the three of you who suggested to just stop playing outright.

Sorry to hear that. I'm not too surprised it turned out that way. I'd feel a little bad if my impressions contributed to your continuing with the game.

I felt like Route C was a step up over Route B in terms of story, but I felt invested throughout the entire game, in spite of the limitations of the game's combat. If Route B's gameplay made you want to give up, Route C isn't going to change your mind.

Hegel's the worst part of the game outside of one or two sidequests.

Not sure why I believed GAF that the story was anything special, it's barely coherent and totally subpar compared to something like Zero Escape, etc., not to mention twice as obnoxious with its edgy middle-schooler level interpretations of philosophy being shoved in your face all the time.

If 999 is representative of the Zero Escape series, then I don't know how you can say that with a straight face. Automata actually uses its characters and scenarios to push the player to synthesize and make sense of the philosophy it touches on.

There's nothing underneath 999. It just borrows random pseudoscience to set up a razzle-dazzle twist at the end.

I've just completed (properly this time, I hope) the game. My indifference felt during Route B unfortunately turned into complete resentment during the course of Route C. I don't think I've ever wanted so badly for a game to end than Nier: Automata. What a slog. The forced walking section
provided no end of frustration. I died three times because I ended up backed into a corner on some part of the map with no way to escape or retaliate, so the enemies would just wail on me completely. That part almost had me flinging my controller out the window. Then along comes Hegel, this spectacular mess and absurdly huge difficulty spike of a boss battle that forced me to adjust the difficulty to easy and turn on the auto chips. And then
Pascal's village goes up in flames, which I saw coming the moment I first stepped into the place
, I control the slowest giant robot in video gaming history for a bit and a lot of depressing shit unfolds. I complained in the opening post of the thread about the combat being too simplistic to sustain such a long game, so the fact that the last few hours REALLY doubled down on fighting were excruciating. The constantly shifting perspective during the penultimate boss fight was especially obnoxious.

Needless to say, I think the damage was already done from spending so much time on mediocre side quests in Route A and then replaying through the same events in Route B. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case and I'd be invested in the story again come Route C, but unfortunately it had the opposite effect. Such a disappointment that it turned out this way.

I think is this literally the first time I've seen someone complain about the game being too difficult on normal.

sanstesy

Hegel and the Goliath boss fight in the Flooded City have to be the worst boss fights Platinum has ever created and that you have to do latter twice just makes it unacceptable.

I liked the experience but it has a lot of extremely rough spots.

That's kinda how I felt. Route b was just not a lot of fun for me. The combat gets worse and the twin stick shooter parts get old quickly. Having to redo a lot of the same areas only with worse combat was not great. Route c is a lot better and has some amazing moments but route b does drag my opinion of the game down a bit.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well, still I thought it was a great experience as a whole despite the flaws.

Hegel and the Goliath boss fight in the Flooded City have to be the worst boss fights Platinum has ever created and that you have to do latter twice just makes it unacceptable.

I liked the experience but it has a lot of extremely rough spots.

I didn't have trouble with Hegel. Or with the second
Emil
fight. And the Grun fight in the flooded city is a cool setpiece and I only got tired of it probably on my 4th time doing in when I replayed the game and got to B.

Hylian7

I just hope with the series getting “bigger” Taro drops some of the needless ideas. Yeah it makes the game “unique” but going by how often Route B comes up as a problem. It be better for everyone to not try and do something like that again.

The series staying relevant and alive going forward > being slightly unique in presentation that turns people away.

Not saying he should give up on some of the bigger aspects like story and such. But definitely rethink any big retreads. You got the sales off Nier: A not make the next one where everyone who plays it beats it more than drops it.

Route B really isn't that long though. You get all the insight on stuff you didn't know from Route A, and plus all the repeat combat encounters are a ton easier with the hacking minigame. I didn't look how long it took, but I know I got through Route B much quicker than I did through Route A.

Manbig

Yeah, Hegel fuckin sucked, though I didn't have to lower difficultly to kill it. Just had to go through about 15 medium healing items.

As far as the rest of your issues with route C go, I'm not surprised. The enjoyment of that stuff hinges completely on the player's investment in the story and the characters. That part with the giant robot that you hated for example, was one of my favorite parts in the game simply because of the character development of the character that you play as.

Pascal goes from a pacifist that you have to protect, to someone who is driven to violence to protect children, and then gets further driven to the point where he has to fight an army using the biggest weapon possible, and it is at this exact point where you take control of him.

While this can be viewed as a moment of empowerment, this is also a moment of tragedy as unlike the other settlements, Pascal made it this far without ever resorting to violence. Despite clearly always being able to protect himself, he would rather let himself be destroyed than fight earlier in the game such as when you first see him outside of the resistance camp when you are controlling A2.

The stuff that happens after this part is easily the biggest emotional gut punch in the game. And while the actual gameplay mechanics here are simplistic, I felt like controlling these segments actually enhanced the storytelling, which is one of the things that I feel like Taro is great at. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Vigamox

Yeah, honestly if you were losing interest beforehand, you should have stopped playing because without any investment into the story/characters, almost ANY game would bore you and annoy you if you forced yourself to play through it.

kennyamr

Man, such a good game.
My second favorite game of the year closely below Zelda BotW (which I consider my #2 game of all time just after FFIX). Also one of the best games of this gen so far.

I kinda want to install it and play it all over again now. Decisions, decisions.

Ahem, if you don't want to keep playing, then drop it asap, any game should make you feel good and have a good time so if you are not feeling it, then just drop it, no worries.

Man, such a good game.
My second favorite game of the year closely below Zelda BotW (which I consider my #2 game of all time just after FFIX). Also one of the best games of this gen so far.

I kinda want to install it and play it all over again now. Decisions, decisions.

Ahem, if you don't want to keep playing, then drop it asap, any game should make you feel good and have a good time so if you are not feeling it, then just drop it, no worries.

Do it. It's actually more interesting if you do more sidequests and know the context behind why 2B acts the way she does. I beat the game in March and replayed it in June.

Also read some of the short stories like The Memory Cage

Phatcorns

The final, true ending is totally worth it. But I agreed. After the first ending, I was like, you know I'm not really sure I'm all that into the gameplay.

But the story was interesting enough that I kept going and man, seriously, that true ending though. So good

LotusHD

Banned
Man, such a good game.

There's certainly value in replaying it, due to everything you learn by the time you've beaten it. Had fun the 2nd time around, took my time and did all the sidequests, making up for my first playthrough where I didn't put nearly as much time into them.

Hektor

Yep this captures my feelings as well - I hated this game by the time I forced myself through to the end. Not sure why I believed GAF that the story was anything special, it's barely coherent and totally subpar compared to something like Zero Escape, etc., not to mention twice as obnoxious with its edgy middle-schooler level interpretations of philosophy being shoved in your face all the time.

There's nothing incoherent about Automata, that you're taking freaking Zero Escape of an example of a good story sheesh

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There's certainly value in replaying it, due to everything you learn by the time you've beaten it. Had fun the 2nd time around, took my time and did all the sidequests, making up for my first playthrough where I didn't put nearly as much time into them.

I played through this 4 times and on my 4th playthrough I discovered story behind how A2 and Anemone first met. I don't how I missed that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They never said Zero Escape was good as much as Automata is subpar compared to it.

Just playing Horizon: Zero Dawn at the moment, and man... its a pretty game but the writing and characterization is just not in the same ballpark as Nier. Considering the differences in tech and resources its shocking how "flat" and charmless it all is.

Just playing Horizon: Zero Dawn at the moment, and man... its a pretty game but the writing and characterization is just not in the same ballpark as Nier. Considering the differences in tech and resources its shocking how "flat" and charmless it all is.

Literally how I felt playing Persona 5 after Automata. I put P5 down and just replayed Automata instead, haven't gone back to P5 in months.

It'll probably be a long time til I find something in a game as funny as Automata's Romeos And Juliets

Yea, I went into Horizon directly after finishing Nier. I just couldn't get immersed, I really tried.

Anyways, as others in thread stated, Nier is, not for everyone and requires the player to be invested in the story to get anything out of of the significant plot and gameplay beats.

Also, I don't agree with the comments on sidequests. If you're digging the game, it likely wont matter whether you complete them early or late. Many of them feed into the story nicely too. If you don't like the game, potentially stop playing the game, racing through the story probably wont help.

emag

It's fine not to like games that others praise. I loved Nier Automata for the most part but found both Horizon and BotW to be exceedingly boring.

Honestly, the notion that 9S is not a combat android doest fly when (ending spoilers)
you beat the same bosses and enemies easily and even you (sorta) win against A2 in one of the endings.

The explanation for this is subtly hinted at in-game and more explicitly in the Japanese guidebook.

Fhtagn

I took a few months off part way into B, and now I'm playing again and really enjoying it. I don't think this game benefits from being rushed through unless you're so gripped by it that's your only option.

Then again, I found Path A full of charm and I find myself forgiving the game for stuff I'd find annoying in other games if not for that charm. If it's not clicking with you by an hour into Path B, I'd say leave it alone until the mood takes you to pick it up again, if ever.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yea, I went into Horizon directly after finishing Nier. I just couldn't get immersed, I really tried.

Anyways, as others in thread stated, Nier is, not for everyone and requires the player to be invested in the story to get anything out of of the significant plot and gameplay beats.

Also, I don't agree with the comments on sidequests. If you're digging the game, it likely wont matter whether you complete them early or late. Many of them feed into the story nicely too. If you don't like the game, potentially stop playing the game, racing through the story probably wont help.

The irony is I bought Horizon before Nier, and have deliberately held off for a long time to ensure my palate was properly cleansed.

Yoko's stuff just amazes me in how he manages to squeeze little gems of character out of the slightest material. Talking nuggets like the "Machine On a Break" in the amusement park. Its kind of a one-joke npc, but the way its used in the context of the story somehow makes him memorable and important as he's the only inhabitant untouched by the derangement of the machines in late-game.

Danjin44

My thoughts exactly!!! And not just the story but also the open world. As small as NieR Automata 's open world is I did waaaay more exploring in NieR than I ever did in Horizon.
Because unlike Horizon there is actually things to find like weapons, two extra pods and pod programs and unique looking enemy like the one you found in Route C that looks like
mini Godzilla

People complain that how Route B plays very similar Route A but what about Horizon? Halfway through the game you are still fighting same exact machines, humans, heck even the last boss is exact same machine you fought before. At least in NieR I can change my characters build with the chip system in Horizon you cant really do that because even before finishing the story you already unlocked everything and you are at max level.

Another thing I liked what Nier did that I'm shocked Horizon didn't do is each section the machine life forms dress differently and attack differently. like in Forest section the machines have knights like armour and they attack much more organized manner while in Desert they dress like how people in Facade used to dress and in Amusement park they dress like clowns and they have no attention of attacking you.

I don't understand why Horizon didn't do this. They have big ass open world, they could put each area unique machines base what type of environment they live in.

My thoughts exactly!!! And not just the story but also the open world. As small as NieR Automata 's open world is I did waaaay more exploring in NieR than I ever did in Horizon.
Because unlike Horizon there is actually things to find like weapons, two extra pods and pod programs and unique looking enemy like the one you found in Route C that looks like
mini Godzilla

People complain that how Route B plays very similar Route A but what about Horizon? Halfway through the game you are still fighting same exact machines, humans, heck even the last boss is exact same machine you fought before. At least in NieR I can change my characters build with the chip system in Horizon you cant really do that because even before finishing the story you already unlocked everything and you are at max level.

Another thing I liked what Nier did that I'm shocked Horizon didn't do is each section the machine life forms dress differently and attack differently. like in Forest section the machines have knights like armour and they attack much more organized manner while in Desert they dress like how people in Facade used to dress and in Amusement park they dress like clowns and they have no attention of attacking you.

I don't understand why Horizon didn't do this. They have big ass open world, they could put each area unique machines base what type of environment they live in.

I wholly disagree. Horizon has fantastic characterization. Whereas, I feel, NieR Automata just feels flat in that department.

Danjin44

I wholly disagree. Horizon has fantastic characterization. Whereas, I feel, NieR Automata just feels flat in that department.

I guess agree to disagree. I personally love the way Yoko Taro writes characters. Aloy in other had felt so god damn boring and flat in comparison

I guess agree to disagree. I personally love the way Yoko Taro writes characters. Aloy in other had felt so god damn boring and flat in comparison

If we were talking character designs I would agree that. Though, and I can be totally off-base here, I think 2B enjoys a lot of popularity due to her character design and not so much her characterization. I would say the same for some of the other characters in the game too.

Danjin44

If we were talking character designs I would agree that. Though, and I can be totally off-base here, I think 2B enjoys a lot of popularity due to her character design and not so much her characterization. I would say the same for some of the other characters in the game too.
I played and got all endings for NieR Automata 4 times and I fully played Horizon and got 97% of the trophies I can safely say to me 2B both in her design and as actual character, she is much, much , MUCH better than Aloy.

Feel free to disagree but that's just how I felt when I played both NieR Automata and Horizon.

DerpHause

The former almost certainly doesn't hurt for many, but viewing any favorable review quickly points out that it doesn't end there even assuming it actually did start there. Some found the characterization redeeming after writing off the design.

LotusHD

Banned

It's both for a good amount of people, as well as a lot of people not even liking that design that much or seeing it as a caveat, but enjoying the story and characterization once they got engrossed into the game. Where even if they bought the game because they're really into 2B's design, the writing was a happy surprise for a lot of people who seemingly weren't expecting all that much. Additionally, the standout character in the game by far was 9S, and I don't exactly see people obsessing over his design. Same goes for several other characters, like Pascal for instance. 2B's really the only character that gets propped as a reason to downplay the various reasons why people enjoyed the game.

RossoneR

Banned
Also highly disappointed with game considering praise.

OST s amazing, story is good , some nice ideas but execution is very poor.
"Open world" does more harm than good, hurts pacing, way too empty. Game at times looks like on ps3. Map is/can be useless. Trying to get to some points took me like 20 or 30 minutes because of stupid map or some barriers. Combat is flashy but way too much "automated" for action and also couldnt stand using pod, completely takes my focus from combat. Boss fight re the worst platinum has done overall and Hegel can be nominated for one of the worst boss fight of the year. Route b s slog and i cant stand playing with 9s. And no i wont hack every enemy. Stick shooting section overstayed its welcome. World and enemies were bland looking and uninteresting for most part, at least for me (did enjoy fights with worms and some bosses). Side quest were boring. I wanted to break ds4 while playing "slow walking" sections.

Halfway through route c and had to lower difficulty to easy like wth? Apparently im underleveled around lvl 40 and everything s 50 or 60. Weapons lvl 3 or 4 i think. I took my time did some side quest,clocked 30+ hours and still underleveled. Really? Platinumed bloodborne,ds1,ds3... , finished nioh, playede ninja gaiden, dmc games....and couldnt beat beginning of route c on normal. Maybe thats on me.

Anyway i hope sequel improves a lot.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Aloy's characterization is fine in Horizon, because the dialogue options can help shape her in a way that is consistent with the way you see her as a player.

My issue is basically with everything outside the protagonist and how that defines the game-world and its overall feel. You have all these clearly defined tribal groups, yet outside a bit of invented jargon where's the distinctive patterns of speech and accent? Individuals within these groups feel even more cookie-cutter, and it really stands out when the visualization is so unusually racially diverse.

There's nothing so extreme in Automata as the original Nier's masked people's culture, yet every "tribe" or faction of machines you encounter is distinctly different. And within those groups there are clearly defined adherent and dissident individuals.

Yes some of the writing is very broad, and a lot of detail is sketched in due to lack of AAA resources, but for me it works extremely well.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The explanation for this is subtly hinted at in-game and more explicitly in the Japanese guidebook.
What's the explanation? (speculation that contains huge ending spoilers)
Was he converted from a B-type or something, since the game shows that units can be refitted to different types?

There was also a bit that talked about how the S type is high-end and that a "known issue" is that S-models can be too smart for their own good. Maybe that extends to 9S' combat ability?

I though the game's ending cutscene to 9S' last boss fight did a good job of showing that 9S was no actual match for A2, though.

Also highly disappointed with game considering praise.

OST s amazing, story is good , some nice ideas but execution is very poor.
"Open world" does more harm than good, hurts pacing, way too empty. Game at times looks like on ps3. Map is/can be useless. Trying to get to some points took me like 20 or 30 minutes because of stupid map or some barriers. Combat is flashy but way too much "automated" for action and also couldnt stand using pod, completely takes my focus from combat. Boss fight re the worst platinum has done overall and Hegel can be nominated for one of the worst boss fight of the year. Route b s slog and i cant stand playing with 9s. And no i wont hack every enemy. Stick shooting section overstayed its welcome. World and enemies were bland looking and uninteresting for most part, at least for me (did enjoy fights with worms and some bosses). Side quest were boring. I wanted to break ds4 while playing "slow walking" sections.

Halfway through route c and had to lower difficulty to easy like wth? Apparently im underleveled around lvl 40 and everything s 50 or 60. Weapons lvl 3 or 4 i think. I took my time did some side quest,clocked 30+ hours and still underleveled. Really? Platinumed bloodborne,ds1,ds3... , finished nioh, playede ninja gaiden, dmc games....and couldnt beat beginning of route c on normal. Maybe thats on me.

Anyway i hope sequel improves a lot.

This isn't my alt-account, honest.

Onemic

Automata is a fairly weak game in all honesty besides the OST which is amazing.

The core gameplay itself is mediocre and doesnt come close to action titles like GOW, DMC, Nioh, or even souls with how basic the combat is. your options even with 2B are limited to doing the same few animations over and over again, with no real variance to how you attack. This also extends to how you approach enemies as they for the most part are all fought in the exact same way. Then there is the camera which is pretty bad and will get in your way more than help. The shumps portion is ok, but once again doesnt hold a candle to any real shump game.

So you have a game that's a lot of things but is mediocre at all of them, not to mention the game forces you to play it over multiple times doing mostly the same things in the first two playthroughs to begin to unravel the story. Overall it's just a pretty weak title with a beautiful OST that saves it from just being pure disappointment.

I think Automata is just another case of a game that gets praised for everything outside of its actual gameplay.

Zebetite

Banned
I think Automata is just another case of a game that gets praised for everything outside of its actual gameplay.

or the people who like it, like it, and the people who don't, don't?

i don't understand this notion that because you didn't like the game that the praise from people who did is somehow invalid or unearned. video games, am i right?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Exact same things were said about the original Nier, and it didn't change anything then either. You either buy into Yoko Taro's wild ride, or you don't.

Platinum's involvement basically helped smooth off some of the rougher edges of the experience, but its a Yoko-joint through and through.

cbrun44

I put it on easy for the b and c routes... Was able to run through both very quickly. Worth the trouble of b to get to c.

Top Bottom