• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm playing Indigo Prophecy for the first time..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gexecuter said:
I would pay money for an endurance run of Indigo Prophecy, so much material.

Totally off topic, but where is your avatar from? I'm curious.

@Costanza: I can't believe you went through the whole game after most everyone told you to stop playing, dude! :lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
TheSeks said:
Totally off topic, but where is your avatar from? I'm curious.

@Costanza: I can't believe you went through the whole game after most everyone told you to stop playing, dude! :lol

It's from a manga/anime called ookiku furikabutte or Big Windup!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
So another person joins the ranks of us who will warn the next poor fool who decides to play this game to just stop and run away. I wish I'd found this thread sooner. I regret playing past the first matrix scene when Lucas is stopped by the cops. Then you get to the internet and mayans and homeless.

Despite all that, I still pre-ordered Heavy Rain.

EmCeeGramr said:
well no a bunch of AIs form OUT OF the internet and form a "purple clan" that opposes the "orange clan" which is a group of mayan oracles that have ruled the world with omniscience and omnipotence for over 2000 years but decides to cause random murders so they can uh, find a girl who can talk to an alien meteor so they can control the world even more

there's no real explanation for any of this, by the way, except what little the secret organization of hobos that safeguards humanity tells you (i'm not joking)

Man, that puts the random tangent plots of the 80's--Ninja's have kidnapped the president! Are you a bad enough dude to save him!?--to complete and utter shame. If everyone who has played the game wasn't so vehemnent about how horrible the game was, I would be tempted to pick it up through Steam and give it a quick playthrough.

Costanza said:
How these fuck are these reviews so high?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fahrenheit?q=indigo prophecy

I mean, theres seriously stuff like "This game has a story that's almost too damn good for a video game." in there..... :lol

I can't believe anybody could give this shit a positive review. It's as enough there's an acknowledgement than the gameplay's awful but look at the focus on cinematic story telling! From that extent shouldn't you be judging it against contemporary/classic movies? In which case it should fare even worst than it does against game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gexecuter said:
It's from a manga/anime called ookiku furikabutte or Big Windup!

Ah, thanks!

Q said:
Like I said, WAIT FOR NON-REVIEWER IMPRESSIONS if you're still thinking about Heavy Rain.

Seriously. And wait for David Cage to "*sigh* GAMERS DON'T GET IT!" when people call it a piece of shit. (Okay, maybe not. The demo wasn't that bad, despite having no true free will other than the movie/'game' playing out slightly different)

Costanza said:
YAY, it's over! What a stupid fucking game :lol

I think I got the good ending.
Freezing stopped, Carla was pregnant...
What are the other ones?

...and another who is forever scarred.

Im willing to invest in a Indigo Prophecy Recovery Centre for the lives that David Cage has ruined.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
The game works a lot better if you think of it is a comedy.

Costanza said:
How these fuck are these reviews so high?

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fahrenheit?q=indigo prophecy

I mean, theres seriously stuff like "This game has a story that's almost too damn good for a video game." in there..... :lol

Think of videogame stories in 2005... other than maybe Metal Gear Solid 3, nothing else really stood out as far as story goes. The content of Indigo Prophecy's story is ridiculous, but the execution was pretty unique for the time.

Zombie James said:
Think of videogame stories in 2005... other than maybe Metal Gear Solid 3, nothing else really stood out as far as story goes. The content of Indigo Prophecy's story is ridiculous, but the execution was pretty unique for the time.

Killer7 was what Indigo Prophecy dreamed of being. Released earlier too
A bold game design choice. A complex plot that touched upon many taboo topics. A fascinating cast of characters. Even Suda was able to scrap together a coherent plot when he was forced to meet a release date. Cant say the same for David Cage

Oh, and there was some rpg called Planescape Torment or something....

Dogenzaka

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Just spoiled myself on the story with that let's play....

....the fuck?

The funny thing is, the story's pretty crazy and it's not much different to most of the Hollywood excretions people pay to see at the local movie theater.

The Box comes to mind ._.

hamchan

GhaleonQ said:
Like I said, WAIT FOR NON-REVIEWER IMPRESSIONS if you're still thinking about Heavy Rain.
I'd hope Quantic Dream learnt it's lesson from Indigo Prophecy. I think David Cge said no supernatural shit in Heavy Rain so that's a good sign.

Costanza said:
Wait, is that real? I can't tell.

59785ca0db827de86a7c69ad38864627331.jpg

It's real.

It's a motherfucking shame they got freaking Angelo Badalamenti to write the score to a video game and it had to be wasted on this one.

Y2Kev said:
She just shits all over the player instead.

:lol

JayDubya said:
The game does open with a mind control murder, so it's not as though you can't tell it's going to be nutso.

Yeah, but there could have been a... well as silly as it sounds, I guess a "more mundane" and acceptable occult explanation.

Zombie James said:

Yeah, 2005. The good ol' days. Oh, the narrative strides we've made since then! :lol

IP does some really cool stuff involving multiple camera angles in separate frames. Early on, it actually focuses on the characters and goes into some human emotion, which is almost unheard of for a video game. But that's about all it does right--or new--in video gaming.

I dont know why everyone hates this game so much.

It was really unique and played out like a movie, I found the quicktime bits easy and not annoying, and as for the story when it goes all sci-fi....well I like sci-fi and thought it was good.

GhaleonQ

hamchan said:
I'd hope Quantic Dream learnt it's lesson from Indigo Prophecy. I think David Cge said no supernatural shit in Heavy Rain so that's a good sign.

Right. It could be awesome. I'm merely saying that reviewers blew their credibility last time (and since, when it comes to "mature" experiences).

TheVampire said:
I dont know why everyone hates this game so much.

It was really unique and played out like a movie, I found the quicktime bits easy and not annoying, and as for the story when it goes all sci-fi....well I like sci-fi and thought it was good.

Putting aside that I most vehemently disagree with you about the story, the bolded is my main problem; it's also the reason I'll be unlikely to consider Heavy Rain when I get a PS3. I play video games.

Persona7

Banned
I liked the game at first but the PC version is so horribly broken. I liked the characters and the general gameplay/interaction.

I caved in and bought the Xbox version hoping I could beat it but the game freezes on the stupid fence climbing sneaking part. Total Glitch fest and the controls wonk out for no reason.

This is why I was wary of Heavy Rain, and after playing the demo I will not buy Heavy Rain.

From the metacritic reviews...

Total Video Games

Those who won’t look at a game unless it’s got big guns and lots of mindless goons to destroy will likely detest Fahrenheit and wonder what the fuss is all about; however those who’d like to glimpse how videogames can become an effective means to telling stories and interacting with them will find one of the surprising contenders for Game of the Year."

Replace "Fahrenheit" with "Heavy Rain" and you have a post from the "Heavy Rain reviews" thread :lol

Seriously though, it's amazing going back and seeing the praise heaped upon this game. The industry has been so desperate to feel legitimate, to compare themselves to cinema or whatever, that they grasped onto THIS game and said that has a "great story" and that it's a "great candidate for a feature film" and of course the gem: "This game has a story that's almost too damn good for a video game."

I really hope Heavy Rain is a LOT better because if they're going to lavish praise on a game just because it tries to be like a movie, I'd rather it actually be good :lol

Peff

timetokill said:
I really hope Heavy Rain is a LOT better because if they're going to lavish praise on a game just because it tries to be like a movie, I'd rather it actually be good :lol

I don't know if the story is better, but it seems Cage tricked the people who bought into the "YOU CAN HAVE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY WITH EVERY DECISION". Apparently
only the last quarter of the story is what can be changed, the characters can only die there and the "22 endings" are variations on three basic endings
. It seems that in the Shelby part of the demo for example
even if you anger the woman so she tells you to fuck off and don't let his card on the table, she still comes to your apartment to talk to you. Not kicking the pimp's ass seems to just leave a few scratches on her face when she comes

Ploid 3.0

Peff said:
I don't know if the story is better, but it seems Cage tricked the people who bought into the "YOU CAN HAVE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY WITH EVERY DECISION". Apparently
only the last quarter of the story is what can be changed, the characters can only die there and the "22 endings" are variations on three basic endings
. It seems that in the Shelby part of the demo for example
even if you anger the woman so she tells you to fuck off and don't let his card on the table, she still comes to your apartment to talk to you. Not kicking the pimp's ass seems to just leave a few scratches on her face when she comes

Hmm I want more info on this. Where did you hear it? If the story isn't effected much by any of the decisions you make up until what you're saying that's pretty bad. My whole interest is to alter little things possibly going down different paths. Choosing not to go in private property T-2 without a warrant to avoid being benched if I'm caught, missing out on possibly great chances to work on the case and finding the killer for example. I believe screwing up on finding enough evidence, and clues are in this though. One reviewer talks about false evidence. I guess I really have to wait for Wednesday to ask people that played the game.

About the spoiler, she seem like a important character, I suppose she can't totally not show up. Well did the guy playing try pissing her off, and walking out after using the inhaler not helping her with the guy at all?

Edit: Actually things are showing good promise on having a different path in the demo. I got a good range of different results that in it's own way effected the story. Piss her off and don't get her to talk to you. Leave her to get beat up, don't ask if that's her son on the dresser resulting in her not crying and you not trying to comfort her having her to snap at you, and other things you can skip or miss.

Maybe your collected effort in solving the crime pays off in that quarter you're talking about. Depending on how you do + if you keep the needed people alive that are key to whatever is going on, the story could greatly change at those points. However having the other things you do before is pretty much filling up a evidence/case/sanity meter to determine if you'll be successful in catching the killer. Each play could still be a different story as seen with the demo of 2 scenes. Maybe the worse you do the more injured, drugged, freaked out, and crazy your characters become. It could really look like they are struggling to make it through, with bruises, shaking drug fending, and other visible things to go along with it (snake's last stretch of mgs4 for example).

A few more days for everything to be straightened out though. Your info could be very right and it could still fit with what they were saying so it's not a total deception. If all characters die the game winds down sooner for the player, but the story continues. The loss of people will effect you because all of the work you put into helping them get through with their information could be just like they described.

Ploid 3.0

I really liked the whole, who am I supposed to be helping thing. I think I was only caught in the bathroom at the beginning. I never tried to fail as the main character when he was being questioned by Claire or leave them good evidence. I liked this game, and want them to do another like it where you're being chased, and you're doing the chasing.

Peff

Ploid 3.0 said:
Hmm I want more info on this. Where did you hear it? If the story isn't effected much by any of the decisions you make up until what you're saying that's pretty bad. My whole interest is to alter little things possibly going down different paths. Choosing not to go in private property T-2 without a warrant to avoid being benched if I'm caught, missing out on possibly great chances to work on the case and finding the killer for example. I believe screwing up on finding enough evidence, and clues are in this though. One reviewer talks about false evidence. I guess I really have to wait for Wednesday to ask people that played the game.

About the spoiler, she seem like a important character, I suppose she can't totally not show up. Well did the guy playing try pissing her off, and walking out after using the inhaler not helping her with the guy at all?

Edit: Actually things are showing good promise on having a different path in the demo. I got a good range of different results that in it's own way effected the story. Piss her off and don't get her to talk to you. Leave her to get beat up, don't ask if that's her son on the dresser resulting in her not crying and you not trying to comfort her having her to snap at you, and other things you can skip or miss.

Maybe your collected effort in solving the crime pays off in that quarter you're talking about. Depending on how you do + if you keep the needed people alive that are key to whatever is going on, the story could greatly change at those points. However having the other things you do before is pretty much filling up a evidence/case/sanity meter to determine if you'll be successful in catching the killer. Each play could still be a different story as seen with the demo of 2 scenes. Maybe the worse you do the more injured, drugged, freaked out, and crazy your characters become. It could really look like they are struggling to make it through, with bruises, shaking drug fending, and other visible things to go along with it (snake's last stretch of mgs4 for example).

A few more days for everything to be straightened out though. Your info could be very right and it could still fit with what they were saying so it's not a total deception. If all characters die the game winds down sooner for the player, but the story continues. The loss of people will effect you because all of the work you put into helping them get through with their information could be just like they described.

Got it from a guy in gamefaqs who seems to have the review code:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=933123&topic=53361547
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=933123&topic=53386152
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=933123&topic=53385324

It may not be true, we'll find out soon, but in case it is lowered expectations can't hurt :D

Ploid 3.0

Looks true, good find. Should post in the review thread. More information on the game.

Edit: But you still seem to get a different story based on your actions. The thing I don't like is the game tying up loose ends to make sure the story don't branch too far (collecting evidence if you skipped it, having people come to you and spill their guts if you don't get it on the spot). I think it had to be like this to keep pacing, and things interesting. Otherwise you'd have people sitting holding their thumbs and wondering where they screwed up at.

Sorry for the off topic. I'm going to try to surgically move this to the review thread somehow. It is IP's young brother at least.

Edit: Having a bit of second thoughts on if the gamefaqs dude is honest that he played the game now. Someone on gaf mentioned seeing something in the qore preview that this guy mentions, so maybe his info is just from the qore info and he's acting like he played the game. A few more days for the embargo to be lifted anyway.

For anyone still looking to play it before Heavy Rain comes out, Amazon has it for $9 new on the xbox. I bought two copies, one to keep incase my current disc stops working and one for a friend of mine who hasn't bought a 360 or PS3 yet and has his old xbox. He loved it surprisingly.

Better than paying $15 on XBL Marketplace.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
s3phiroth2006 said:
Indigo Prophecy for me is an amazing experience. Just be patience and youare going tp enjoy the game.

Well, I can agree it was an amazing experience for me, too. Unfortunately the "amazing" in my case wasn't at all positive. This is one of the very very few games where I felt offended after I played. I felt like that the developers made this game to personally hurt me.

such a great start, for such a horrible game :(
It's truly unbelievable anyone at QD could have thought that story was cool. When it turns out the homeless people were a secret network of freedom fighters or some bs like this, i stopped playing. I was apparently very close to the end, but I realized I was getting angry at myself for playing this shit. No offense to those who liked it - I can see why the interactive movie aspect of it can be fun for some.

I want to be excited about Heavy Rain, but I'd rather be cautiously optimistic..

Not trying to troll or anything, but the AI bs reminded of the worse aspects of Deus Ex, a game which I loved, and overall had a good story, but also started shitting a bit over itself towards the end (don't expect my opinion to be shared, but I promise I am not trolling - and fuck I do love that game).

harriet the spy said:
Not trying to troll or anything, but the AI bs reminded of the worse aspects of Deus Ex, a game which I loved, and overall had a good story, but also started shitting a bit over itself towards the end (don't expect my opinion to be shared, but I promise I am not trolling - and fuck I do love that game).

Oh no, you're completely right about DX and it's one of the things I personally always overlook when I think back on it. It was certainly a high watermark for writing in games at the time, but then again The X-Files was being celebrated as amazingly written TV during that era.

Costanza said:
I think Heavy Rain will still turn out really good, honestly.

The demo was surprisingly good. I really was expecting Indigo Prophecy 1.78, and was extremely relived to discover it's anything but. QTE's, if you can call them that, are incorporated perfectly.

Top Bottom