• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm playing Nintendo Switch tomorrow at PAX, what unanswered questions do you have?

Kurt

Doesn't work. First thing I did was try all the buttons and they have these locked to the demo. Share button didn't work either.

It's not unique. I did the same with Wonder Boy on ps4 and couldn't get to the menu.

Sorry, I need to go, my battery is low

HD Rumble?

DMONKUMA

I want to know how the Joy Cons feels while you're holding them in each hand playing in a traditional style (Zelda: BOTW) for example. Compared to the cost of other consoles controllers, I feel like they are well worth the price (will need to get another one for my son when we play ARMS).

Yeah wanna to know this as well.

I would like to know if you'll be able to transfer the Zelda save file to another Switch. Say if I play the game, save on SD card, then sell the Switch and game, can I later import/use the save if I buy another system?

Wait do game saves go on the sd card or internal memory?

ryechu

There is not.

In the interview, Mr Aonuma confirmed that the HD rumble feature will not be present in the game due to the company wanting a similar experience for Wii U and Switch owners.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...breath_of_the_wild_will_not_feature_hd_rumble

This was a translation of a translation that got picked up and reported by sites such as nintendolife. This is not confirmed either way, so we need OP to verify.

A treehouse employee said that there is HD rumble. Aonuma said in an interview that he wished he could utilize the unique aspects of HD rumble in gameplay but could not because of Wii U parity. Note how this does not preclude the absence of "superficial" HD rumble.

HD Rumble?

There was vibration but I don't know what would make it HD, felt normal.

BotW stations didn't have pro controllers on them.

I didn't notice any fan or fan sound. After the demo I asked the guy if I could put the controllers back in the joy con and dock the unit. The unit didn't seem abnormally hot at all.

I didn't dual weild during gameplay but while I was putting it all back I did hold them in each hand to try it out and didn't like it. It feels awkward. The edgy hard plastic where it clips onto the unit doesn't feel good on your fingertips and the lack of joy con grip handle support makes it difficult to hit the abxy buttons without bumping into the analog stick.

There was vibration but I don't know what would make it HD, felt normal.

BotW stations didn't have pro controllers on them.

I didn't notice any fan or fan sound. After the demo I asked the guy if I could put the controllers back in the joy con and dock the unit. The unit didn't seem abnormally hot at all.

I didn't dual weild during gameplay but while I was putting it all back I did hold them in each hand to try it out and didn't like it. It feels awkward. The edgy hard plastic where it clips onto the unit doesn't feel good on your fingertips and the lack of joy con grip handle support makes it difficult to hit the abxy buttons without bumping into the analog stick.
Hmm, maybe having those bumper lanyard things would help with the sharp edge, plus they make the JoyCons a little wider too?

Split Control Gaming is like THE best thing about the Wii for me. Lounging with my hands at my sides is just bliss. I hope I wind up liking the JoyCons.

big_z

Is the screen glass or plastic!

I haven't found where it's been said anywhere!

I would also like to know. If possible drag your house key across it and let us know how it goes. If it can handle the key test then screen protectors shouldn't be needed.

Cartho

I would also like to know. If possible drag your house key across it and let us know how it goes. If it can handle the key test then screen protectors shouldn't be needed.

Not sure if sarcasm. If not, that could be a great way of getting asked to leave!

spekkeh

Banned
1. Can you place the dock horizontally, so you can put it in your tv cabinet and slide the Switch in and out?
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGirv00lBd8
2. im sure it doesn't. However, when the Joycon are attached they could vibrate in a specail way to give a more detailed sensation. There's no "haptic engines" inside the Switch to make what you inquire.

Awesome man! Though, he still says that 'in theory it should work', which is about as far as I got as well, and is not really a use case. I guess I'll have to wait until it arrives to find out.

Peterc

Tomorrow, I'll be traveling to PAX South to cover it for FloKO. But what I'm most excited about is trying out Nintendo Switch for the first time. I'm going to try everything they've got, but I'm especially looking forward to ARMS.

What unanswered questions do you have that I can try and answer while I'm there?

For example: first thing I'm gonna do is try and hit the home button and share button to see what happens, and see if I can mess around in the UI.

Can you make a picture of the charger input?

Wil348

Does it feel stable in handheld mode? Like, if you hold all of the weight from one joycon, will the rest of it bend slightly or does it feel completely solid?

ramparter

Banned
Ask them about how they are gonna migrate all our virtual console games in the Switch and when are they dropping their prices by 50%.

purdobol

Hoping it's not to late to ask this.

Can you take any sharp object and test how scratch resistant the screen is?
Thanks in advance. Really appreciate it.

Are the sticks in the Pro Controller convex, or concave? The obviously have raised edges, for grippyness, but I can't tell if, below that, the stick is convex like a DS4 or concave like an Xbone controller.

Cartho

I get that people want to know whether they're going to need a screen protector, but why are people actually asking if a guy at a convention / press event, where he will be surrounded by Nintendo PR people, can start scratching a demo unit?

I mean while your at it, I want to take it into front line combat with me for moments of downtime when I'm in a foxhole. Can you smash it hard against the corner of a large object to simulate the stress it might get placed under during a firefight? I want to know how well it will hold up. Also if you could wave something really hot near it too that would be fab. I want to know how it will cope if a white phosphorus grenade goes off in my backpack by accident.

This is like those videos of people complaining about iPhone build quality because they smashed it to bits with a baseball bat and it didn't work afterwards.

purdobol

I get that people want to know whether they're going to need a screen protector, but why are people actually asking if a guy at a convention / press event, where he will be surrounded by Nintendo PR people, can start scratching a demo unit?

Don't think any of those asking (including me) are serious. Also have some faith in people. OP sure is sane enough to not do it, even if asked by many and can read between the lines.

raw

For those asking for specific pics- no we can't. The guy next to me tried to take a pic and we were told the rule was that if we want a pic they have to take it for us and we have to be in it.

//ARCANUM

For those asking for specific pics- no we can't. The guy next to me tried to take a pic and we were told the rule was that if we want a pic they have to take it for us and we have to be in it.

I'm gonna try and get everything I can on video at least. I have a press badge so hopefully they're cool? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
If you throw it in the air towards the dock, will autopilot take over and land it safely inside for you while you grab a seat for TV gameplay?

Do I need the Pro Controller?
Or to put it differently...how does Grip with the joycons feel?

Spending a lot of cash on day one. Looking for a way to cut costs.

What game does Breath of the Wild feel like

When I was wielding the heavy axe it actually reminded me of ICO a lot. Especially in the beginning where you have some fixed camera angles.

Another little gripe I forgot to mention is that Link is a little 'sticky.' When I went to the first dilapidated temple there was a collapsed pillar that I tried to jump on and walk up like a ramp but when I fell off Link grabbed the side even though the analog stick was pointing away from the pillar. It just seems like he automatically wants to grab onto edges even when not facnng them.

I think I remember someone asking if movement is difficult with sprinting mapped to b and jump to x. No, it wasn't because you can only sprint for like 4 seconds at a time before the meter runs out. It refills in about two seconds iirc. I thought jump mapped to x was an odd choice but after playing for a few minutes it didn't feel bad at all.

radcliff

Could you get some footage of Ultra SF2 in classic mode? The vast majority of footage of this game is the awful HD mode.

-Horizon-

I know they touched upon putting the system in sleep mode and being able to restart from that point without losing your progress but have they said how much battery life you'll get from it?

I'm gonna try and get everything I can on video at least. I have a press badge so hopefully they're cool? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, with press they'll be more lenient I think. I was at the monster boy booth and was talking to a media guy and understood they let him do his thing and even get direct video of his gameplay.

I didn't try the pro controller, they only have that set up for Splatoon 2. But unless you have really big fat hands then the joy con should be very comfortable and you won't run into the right analog while pressing buttons.

Another thing- expect bomber man to bomb hard (excuse the pun). Out of all the tables that one had consistently poor attendance. When you have a table with like four Nintendo Switches and you have to drag people over to them, then you know you have a problem. People who did try it weren't having any fun, you could see it on their faces. Avoid or at least cancel your preorder until reviews come out.

//ARCANUM

Hey OP I don't really have any questions per se but it would be interesting to note your impressions of the system up to this point, hardware, pricing, lineup, etc. and see how it changes after you have gone hands on with the Switch.

My impressions before playing it are that I'm super excited about the hardware concept. I love the idea of taking console games with me when I travel. That said, the games lineup is unimpressive. I'll get Zelda at launch, and the slow trickle of stuff that comes out. I'm not full on fanboy over it, I recognize the very "Nintendo" mistakes they're making, but I'm excited by the potential. (I also wish it was $250.)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
My impressions before playing it are that I'm super excited about the hardware concept. I love the idea of taking console games with me when I travel. That said, the games lineup is unimpressive. I'll get Zelda at launch, and the slow trickle of stuff that comes out. I'm not full on fanboy over it, I recognize the very "Nintendo" mistakes they're making, but I'm excited by the potential. (I also wish it was $250.)
Have toy looked at the indie games?

Top Bottom