• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm Seriously Seeing The Lack Of D-Pad On JoyCons As A Deal Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

I was hoping we would see different kinds of JoyCons available and that one configuration would have a proper D-Pad.

Like this rather neat concept art:

nintendo-switch-illustration-controller-1.0.jpg

Now, granted the Pro Controller ($70) provides one but I see myself using the Switch primarily as a handheld device, so that does me no good at all.

I look at a game like Ultra Street Fighter II, or any traditional 2D fighter, and the idea of being forced to use an analog stick turns me right off. For 2D games, especially old school ones, the precision of a D-Pad is a must. The shape of a D-Pad also facilitates rocking your thumb for diagnal inputs and quick Up/Down inputs. The throw of an analog stick makes quick inputs clunky and less precise.

Maybe Nintendo will announce different styles of JoyCons, I don't know, but I really think something as small as a D-Pad makes a huge difference when you are playing fighters, SHMUPS and NES and SNES games.

I realize that the point of having buttons instead of a D-Pad is so each player has the exact same controller when using each JoyCon seperately. That's great. I will never use the JoyCons that way. I feel like a D-Pad is a better substitute for buttons than buttons are as a substitute for a D-Pad. So even if one player had to use a D-Pad as their face buttons I really don't think that is a big deal.

Also, Nintendo invented the D-Pad. Seems weird to play legacy games without one.

javiergimenez40

Neo Member
But shouldn't you be able to use the buttons as a gamepad?
I mean, I believe the reason they used this was to make you get a better bang for the buck.

Being able to market it as including two serviceable game pads seems like a pretty huge thing to Nintendo, and based on the initial reveal and Thursdays blowout, a major focus of the product. This does a much better job of selling that image. I'd prefer a dpad too, but I can understand why they made the concession they did.

optimiss

But shouldn't you be able to use the buttons as a gamepad?
I mean, I believe the reason they used this was to make you get a better bang for the buck.

I tried it at the Switch event. It isn't ideal to use them this way because the space between them is pretty far. You can do it, but it is rough on your thumb.

kunonabi

I've been whining about the dpad since the beginning. I mean I might have wanted to buy ultra sf2 but I have no way to play it since I'm not buying that godawful pro controller or that hori stick that's probably going to be used for like 2 games.

hatchx

Banned
Now that you mention it, yeah. A L-joy-con with a d-pad instead of buttons would be worth it. Especially for Sonic Mania which I'm really hyped for.

Not sure if it's gonna happen or Nintendo will see it worthwhile to make so many different versions of the joy-con considering there's so much tech build in.

DrNeroCF

The only time I use the d-pad in 2d games is when it's in the primary position on the controller (Vita, PS4, classic controller). On my 360 and Wii U Pro controllers I almost exclusively use the analog, so I dunno.

No reason we can't have a JoyCons with d-pads instead of analog sticks.

Biske

It's not like they cant very easily come out with a new Joy Con with new features or buttons or D-pad.

Meh.

HotHamBoy

It's not like they cant very easily come out with a new Joy Con with new features or buttons or D-pad.

Meh.

Yeah, but will they?

For that matter, they would be smart to release JoyCons like the concepts above but without all the HD Rumble/Motion crap for like $30-40 each.

robotrock

Banned
I think they're being as careful as they can be with image right now, and if they started throwing around a bunch of crazy JoyCons that were like half gamecube controllers/half glock, they'd have some trouble.

I expect to see this crazy joycon stuff by the end of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom