• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm upset that I still can't find a Switch in stores

Type40

There was plenty of opportunity to preorder them at launch. Best Buy had a very generous window to preorder them online. If you don't have one it's your own fault.

Snakeyes

I mean, there's a supply issue because Nintendo has to compete with Apple for a limited supply of parts. There really isn't much they can do

It's quite ironic that by trying so hard not to compete with Microsoft and Sony, they ended up against a much more influential and wealthier electronics giant than the other 2 console manufacturers.

Weird to post this now when it seems everything is indicating more stock being available these past couple weeks than ever before.

Risette

A Good Citizen
if you're a real nintendo fan you'll buy one off eBay for $400.
tbh the markup isn't too bad considering you most likely won't have to pay tax on a scalped unit

but yeah, not nintendo's fault. NAND flash shortage is real. Not much they can do about it.

antonz

Electronics in general are being slammed hard in the shortage of NAND etc. PCs are spiking in price, components like Ram have skyrocketed in price.

The Overall Production base for components across many industries has not enlarged and there is a war on for component production resources.

Oxymoron

As far as stock. I feel completely left out as a Nintendo fan. I can't find one of these things. Nintendo always promises they'll have plenty and it always turns out to be a complete lie. All these new games coming out and I'm probably not even going to be able to play them till next year maybe.

Doesn't help I'm losing interest due to the lack of stock.
They've shipped more than the quantity they said they'd ship. Nobody lied, and nobody saw this level of enthusiasm for Switch coming. Things happen, and Switch will be in stock eventually.

I mean are they really that hard to find at this point? Sure they aren't sitting on the shelves when you walk into a store everytime but between Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop, and Walmart online they seem pretty easy to get at this point.
Hell I've bought 6 since launch for friends and family. Currently have one sitting on my table for my cousins birthday at the end of the month. A couple of them I bought in store when they had them. I've sent links to other friends and co workers whenever they've gone up and they've all gotten them.

They'll probably be in stock at Walmart.com tomorrow afternoon. Follow Wario64 on Twitter and turn on notifications.

They're also in stock at Amazon.de if you're really desperate. You'll have to get a wall outlet adapter but it's the exact same hardware as if you bought it from the US. My personal Switch actually came from Amazon Spain.

TLZ

Banned
As far as stock. I feel completely left out as a Nintendo fan. I can't find one of these things. Nintendo always promises they'll have plenty and it always turns out to be a complete lie. All these new games coming out and I'm probably not even going to be able to play them till next year maybe.

I get your point. If you desperately want one and don't mind overseas shipping, I can send you one from here.

jobrro

Is there a reason Amazon and the like can't just make a waiting list?

Order now and you'll get it when your turn arrives. Obviously stock is coming eventually for everyone, why make it difficult? To make a bit of money from the market sellers?

OP you have no idea how many times I've gotten something I really wanted thanks to Wario64 and CAG on Twitter. My Nintendo Switch, Zelda BotW Master Edition, amiibos, and various other things.

I very highly recommend following them and turning on notifications.

Lady Gaia

I feel your pain, OP. I checked Amazon pretty religiously trying to pre-order, even though there was literally nothing I was excited about beyond Zelda, which I played on my Wii U. Since launch I have been into GameStop and Target a dozen times each with no luck and I'm genuinely excited about Mario+Rabbids. Still no luck as there's no way I'm paying for a forced bundle I'll try Target early tomorrow again as that's basically my only option around work. Wish me luck!

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere it's not that hard to get one. When my wife wanted her own system for Splatoon co-op, I checked http://www.istocknow.com/ daily and every morning there were at least a couple Wal-Marts and Targets in my area that received 1-3 new systems in stock. We waited for the Target near us to get a few and ended up with a 2nd console only 4 or 5 days after we started looking. I mean it says there are 2 neon systems at the Wal-Mart 10 minutes from my work right now.

Koppai

Best Buy stores will have them tomorrow, they were holding them for Splatoon 2. My store has like 36.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
As others have suggested, it seems like Nintendo is doing as good a job as could be expected in the current situation.

Nice bait title OP.

A+

Also How can ninty drop the ball if shortages are due to unforeseen circumstances?

Like the only thing they legitimately dropped the ball on that wasn't due to manufactures screwing up joycons and docks was the crappy online voice chat.

What's this about controllers and docks being screwed up? Is this a supply problem or quality issue you're referring to? (I'm trying to figure out if docks have a quality issue I'm not aware of.)

They got plenty, but plenty ain't enough.

Hindl

As others have suggested, it seems like Nintendo is doing as good a job as could be expected in the current situation.

What's this about controllers and docks being screwed up? Is this a supply problem or quality issue you're referring to? (I'm trying to figure out if docks have a quality issue I'm not aware of.)
Some of the initial run of switches had a left joycon with a really weak Bluetooth signal that would cut out for a second or two pretty frequently. Nintendo fixed that. Some users have also reported leaving the switch in the dock mildly warps the switch with a slight bend

Applecot

I think there's some issue with Nintendo America since stock always seems to be a problem there vs RoW

No empirical proof but that's my impression no issues otherwise apart from early launch

WaterAstro

Sounds like they're being screwed over by Apple in this case. They're fighting for the materials.

How else would they get clicks tho?~

"Thread Title: Nintendo really sucks"

"OP: Man, I really love the Kirby games. The sucking mechanic is so fun. Nintendo has it spot on."

I think there's some issue with Nintendo America since stock always seems to be a problem there vs RoW

No empirical proof but that's my impression no issues otherwise apart from early launch

Uh no...there are stock issues in most regions, especially Japan. Certain places in Europe and Australia don't have much of an issue, but there is definitely a global shortage,

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the initial run of switches had a left joycon with a really weak Bluetooth signal that would cut out for a second or two pretty frequently. Nintendo fixed that. Some users have also reported leaving the switch in the dock mildly warps the switch with a slight bend

Okay, I was aware of the left Joy-Con thing but not the dock. I should probably go check to make sure my docked launch Switch isn't being warped. Yikes. Thanks for explaining that!

This is not limited to the dock, unfortunately.

I see. That's concerning.

Dealer A

Neo Member
Both my local Wal-Mart and Gamestop had Switch systems in stock today. If you are in the US you might want to call around. Obviously YMMV, but I think they are getting easier to find.

i saw three in the local Target yesterday.

to be fair, we also had several PSVR units in Walmart and Target when they were 'sold out everywhere' so i guess SW GA is not a videogame hotspot.

Okay, I was aware of the left Joy-Con thing but not the dock. I should probably go check to make sure my docked launch Switch isn't being warped. Yikes. Thanks for explaining that!

I see. That's concerning.

The Dock was not warping Switch consoles. There's not enough heat to cause that to happen and even then, no melting of plastic occurred. Some units just shipped very slightly bent, that's all. Manufacture error.

AGITΩ

As someone who works retailer. There's been plenty of restocks on about a biweekly basis, and usually shipments last most of the week. So there's been plenty. And due to not wanting store inventory to disappear fast, most of the time the inventory is not available online.

I decided I wanted one a few weeks back. Took 2 of days randomly checking in stock sites before I nabbed one.

Systems are being replenished almost daily at one retailer or another.

Top Bottom