• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm upset that I still can't find a Switch in stores

Audette

I feel like they dropped the ball by not having enough variety come out in terms of games. After months of interviews about making it easier to develop for and waiting tones of games to be available I believed they would have the variety to keep me interested.

Instead it's the the same old Nintendo story, a slow trickle of First party games many of which aren't in my interests, no virtual console, no major third party support and a few key Indy games. The switch is literally just collecting dust since I beat Zelda and cave story. Now I have to wait till October for Mario.

March to October is a pretty disappointing time to have to wait for the next major game. I knew the rough estimate of the consoles launch year titles but i thought more 3rd party support would jump on, especially with the public interest Switch has had. It hurts to see some awesome new games announcements coming out on the 3DS this next year when all the switch stuff seemed to be retreads like untitled Kirby game, untitled Yoshi game and Skyrim.

Frustrating.

Edit: xenoblade, will be good too. I'm happy to have that coming.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The Dock was not warping Switch consoles. There's not enough heat to cause that to happen and even then, no melting of plastic occurred. Some units just shipped very slightly bent, that's all. Manufacture error.

This explanation makes the most sense to me. Thanks.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't really need one until Mario comes out, but I managed to order one without issue thanks to all the Amazon prime shipments. If you're interested keep watching for those and it seems like it shouldn't be too bad from now on.

fersnake

in my country are on shelves but no way im gonna pay $500 and no game for that.

and botw is $94 :S

gonna wait until xmas hoping nintendo restock by then.

kewlmyc

Welcome to the Wii days.

Only reason I have a Switch is because I lucked on one while being at a Best Buy the day they got their delivery in. They were behind the customer service desk and I just asked for one.

I've been searching for weeks every time I'm in a store that theoretically carries it to no luck. Don't want to pay scalper prices & I don't want a bundle since I prefer digital copies of games to physical. I eventually broke down yesterday and asked a friend with some Nintendo connections if he could hook me up.

Use Istocknow, it's very accurate from my experience. Got one of four switches that came into a target here about 4 weeks after launch.

This weeks best buy ad says they are holding stock for friday. Get there early and you should be able to nab one. In the states of course.

Oreoleo

Hmm I've only heard stories from people leaving it in the dock but I haven't kept up on it. I'll take your word for it

It was like this: I checked a few months ago to see if mine was warped, it wasn't. Packed the dock away after beating Zelda and played plenty of Isaac, Mario Kart, Snake Pass etc all in handheld mode. Hooked the dock back up in prep for Splatoon, and it was plain as day that my Switch is warped now. I'm honestly concerned that Nintendo is gonna end up with a RROD situation a year or so down the road. Especially as fans get clogged with dust and become more and more inefficient about moving heat.

Kaizer

Banned
I still can't believe I have one now. I seriously had no plans or thoughts about getting a Switch until next year, but then that massive GameStop screwup sale happened & I amassed like $700 in store credit. They just so happened to have bundles in-stock online the 2nd day I was trading/flipping games & was able to order it in the store and avoid the shipping fee. It arrived at my house four days later.

Some of the Switch bundles GameStop sales are really shitty, but I got the perfect one that just came with the Switch, Zelda, Zelda DLC & a Pro Controller, all for the price those items would've cost seperately anyway. Been playing Breath of the Wild for two weeks now & it's up there neck & neck with Horizon & Nier: Automata for my game of the year. Also been having a lot of fun with Mario Kart & really looking forward to Xenoblade 2.

I got really lucky. After the Splatoon direct I went "Okay I need a Switch now!" and got one within 48 hours due to iStockNow letting me know my local Target got them in.

iStockNow is the best.

The "Apple is holding all key components" excuse is a bit bullshit. Nintendo COULD get more stock made, they just would have to pay a lot to get new fab lines created. Foxconn partners with others all the time in building new plants and fab lines, but Nintendo doesn't want to spend $2-3b in cash on building something that may become obsolete (in supply requirements) before it even goes online.

They could also simply pay more than the others, although getting into a bidding war with Apple is probably not possible, given the volume of business Apple supplies and its extensive cash reserves.

Its also possible its not the flash memory or the screens that are holding up production but the gyro's inside the joy-conns,

Regardless, just saying "its not Nintendo's fault" is passing the buck a little, part of a good global supply chain and demand forecasting is solving those kind of problems.

A famous apocryphal story is how a month before the first iPhone was going to launch, Steve Jobs summoned his team and demanded that the screen be changed, because keys in his pocket was scratching the phone. The head of manufacturing flew to China the next day, assembled a new factory with his partners, and within 3 months had 1 million new screens and iphones assembled. Somehow I don't get the feeling Nintendo has anyone even remotely bothered enough to get more switches made.
http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-new-iphone-screen-2012-1

Try GameStop? My fiancé came home the other day with the surprise that she ordered one through the store to be delivered when they got stock in 2-3 weeks. So, I guess they do waitlists?

There's some free website called distilled or something that let's you monitor changes on web pages. It works, though. Had a friend get 2 switches this week using it and IFTTT to send him text messages within seconds. You can get really silly with smart home devices and have your lights flash and shit to alert you of in stock changes.

We also used to to nab a few GameStop exclusive Zelda amiibos from 4 different stores. Every time they restock them we snatch them up with ease.

Also, using it to crawl pretty much any website who has a page up for an SNES classic, lol.

Wesker28

You can find Switches incredibly easily if you know where to look though.
Yongsan and Kukje Electronic Markets
. Even Gmarket has them in stock. They're $100 more expensive than they should be, but seeing as how the Wii U was never released here who knows when/if the Switch will be. That import tax yo.
Wew, I didn't know about this. Thanks for the info!
Yeah the extra $100 seems a little too much, but I think it would cost the same if i import it. Anyway, thanks alot. I guess it's time to buy one :3

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Fly to Hong Kong. They are abundant.

I was in Hong Kong and Shanghai a few weeks ago on vacation and yeah, Switches as far as the eye could see.

Would have bought one but 1) my PC backlog is ginormous, and 2) I didn't know if the power requirements for Hong Kong units were different than the power supply in the US.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So are we expecting Best Buy to be a madhouse tomorrow morning? Tempted to roll in at 9am to get my Splatoon preorder but if it's gonna be clusterfucky maybe I'll wait it out.

Cough up a little more money and pay GameStop online. At least you'll get a game and a few accessories out of it.

I tried that and thanks to gamestop online's BRILLIANT packaging methods (aka the box literally mentions it has a battery and breakable glass inside, all but shouting it is a switch or iphone which are prime theft items), the local UPS folks stole the switch and zelda out of the box. Took nearly two weeks to get it sorted. I finally have a gift card in lieu of the items and will try to get one in-store tomorrow.

GLAMr

I feel I have to bold and capitalise this, but if you live in America, BUY ONE FROM AUSTRALIA! We literally have tons here for some reason, despite it selling well. Plus you pay less because of our shit currency rate.
Came here to say this. I've had salespeople at JB and EB try to push the Switch on me. I've never seen them out of stock.

Are they actually selling well? I've only seen like 2 of them in public, and don't know anybody who owns one. I blame the price, especially in comparison to the crazy PS4 and Xbone bundles. Aldi are doing a deal with the One S with Forza Horizon 3 and Rare Replay for $279 (just over $200 in Burgerstani dollars). That's nuts!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I don't actually know if the sales in australia are actually really low or if they just overstocked us for some reason.

NeonBlack

I tried that and thanks to gamestop online's BRILLIANT packaging methods (aka the box literally mentions it has a battery and breakable glass inside, all but shouting it is a switch or iphone which are prime theft items), the local UPS folks stole the switch and zelda out of the box. Took nearly two weeks to get it sorted. I finally have a gift card in lieu of the items and will try to get one in-store tomorrow.

I think that's required by law.

For what it's worth, it seems demand is slowly being fulfilled. A week or so ago Switch was going for $420 on Amazon. As of right now they're hanging around $390. Based on that, I would imagine they'll be more or less readily available by September. They'll probably start selling out again once Mario Odyssey hits, though, and stay sold out through the holiday season.

VeeP

OP I got a bundle from gamestop online. I didn't save money, but it wasn't anything I wouldn't have bought.

Switch, Pro Controller, Zelda Physical, Zelda DLC. Keep an eye out on those bundles and see if one appeals to you. I think they change weekly sometimes.

I mean, there's a supply issue because Nintendo has to compete with Apple for a limited supply of parts. There really isn't much they can do
Let's not do this again. Let's not pretend this wasn't avoidable by a better supply chain management strategy from NoA. Just as the whole Amiibo, FE Revelations Limited Edition, and NES Classic (to name a few) Nintendo fucked up the supply.

Lets not apologize in the name of a company that's Time and time again showed us how conservative and afraid they are but heirbgardware numbers.

petran79

Banned
Plenty of Switches here with the main games like Zelda,Puyo,Tetris,SF,Mario Kart

Very enticing to buy. But then it came to mind that buying the whole package along with accessories and 10-15 games would easily surpass 1000 Euro mark,so I bought instead a mechanical keyboard

Maximo

Let's not do this again. Let's not pretend this wasn't avoidable by a better supply chain management strategy from NoA. Just as the whole Amiibo, FE Revelations Limited Edition, and NES Classic (to name a few) Nintendo fucked up the supply.

Lets not apologize in the name of a company that's Time and time again showed us how conservative and afraid they are but heirbgardware numbers.

Lets not do what? This ain't Nintendo under shipping a product due to braindead decisions they are fighting Apple and many other companies for a global shortage on parts that the Switch uses, you don't go up to the suppliers and say simply ask for more, Apple and others have been buying the stock for ages and they get first dibs.

Maximo

Yeah I don't actually know if the sales in australia are actually really low or if they just overstocked us for some reason.

I mean were getting Xbox 1 Sales for Under $300 with a bunch of games and the PS4 Slim for $300 with a game or two the Switch being $470 aint a great deal, for a new console sure its reasonable but most seem to buy during sales and PS4 seems to have a good hold here. Plus the 3DS was $350 then quickly slashed to $250 3 months later, the switch is $220 more around the same time with no pack in game, regardless of the hybrid nature the perception of it being *a good deal* isn't there yet for many.

Come to scandinavia the stocks are full in every store....

I find it hard to believe the Switch success judging from my own experience, only time I experinced such demand was during the ps2 launch

Australians, FYI, the Australian MSRP on the Switch with shipping to the US is the same as scalper prices within the US. It's pretty expensive in your country. Importing from there doesn't make a whole lot of sense unfortunately.

Evilmaus

If you didn't reserve it you don't deserve it

Really though, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. My only advice is to set up stock-alerts via email or something.

Top Bottom