• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm worried that Starfield is gonna suck and here's my main reason for it

MiguelItUp

Bound to happen when Arkane shit the bed with Redfall. Both studios were hyped up. Both studios had their games delayed. Both had criticism about what was shown. So now, people are wondering.
It's understandable, just hoping we can have them consolidated if they continue to multiply before we're flooded with them, lol.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
There's so much hype/talk for this game and I am failing to see the reason for it. The hype levels remind me of Avowed and that even has less gameplay footage.

Like, what does it make it stand out beyond other titles in the FPS genre?
Well, for one thing, it's an open world sandbox RPG first person shooter with ship-to-ship combat and space exploration. That premise alone makes it pretty high on the list of games I'd wanna have sex with.

But it also has a unique aesthetic, colloquially coined as "NASApunk", and that too makes it very intriguing as it definitely speaks to anyone who ever had even a remote interest in space exploration and astronomy.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
maybe-not-go-fuck-yourself.gif

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
A few months ago, we had a thread that was about what was your memories from Fallout for it's 25th aniversary. I said in it that one this :
Fallout 3 or new vegas but probably 3.
The boat/aircraft carrier that I got to explore underwater and die more then once trying to enter secret passages. And find them! When most games have deep water as a instant death( like dark souls) it was amazing.
We are in 2023. Fallout 3 was in 2008. It is true that since then many more games have been open word, but there is still hope for Bethesda to give us something good. It will not be as beautiful as Horizon games. It will not have Metal Gear or Death Stranding gameplay. It will not be as polished as GOW Ragnarok. The animations will not be like TLOU 2. The story has few chances to be stellar. But this is not what the hype for Starfield is about. It is about having a new world to explore. A RPG in wich you can really advance as you see fit. Full of quests and options to create your character and play your way. With the power of a next gen console, and even if I am still sad that this will not be on PS5, they have the opportunity to do a great game like Skyrim was, but on space . The promise of a true RPG were you can explore planets, build yourself up and your spaceship from nothing to greatness and explore the galaxy in the process while still having modern graphics, music and all the ergonomics that we have been accoustumed in AAA games is what is making waiting for this game. I will probably go for Spiderman 2 and Armored Core 6 first as my PS5 is my main gaming platform. But this game is still what Anthem, Mass effect Andromeda... should have been. It is ressembling Star Citizen promise without the unnecessary MMO elements that have made the game an eternal Early Access. At least this is why I am hyped for Starfield. Microsoft can't fuck that. No way. Come on.

kyussman

They make rpg's but they have been dumbing down for a while now,I hope they correct that trend.No voiced protag is a good start after the joke that was Fallout 4's dialogue system.Haven't they said it's gonna be Skyrim in space...if so we all know what to expect,iffy script,repeated dungeons and a huge world to explore.I saw a bit from a tweet on here some time ago that spoke about exploring Starfields caves.....I guess all those planets will have cave systems beneath them with the same repeated assets over and over.I want the game to be great as I'm waiting for something to knock my socks off this gen but I think this will all be very familiar.....doesn't mean it can't be great though.Fingers crossed.

Dynasty8

The gunplay looks terrible as it is, but yeah, I know...no one plays Bethesda games for that. But I'd be lying if I said that didn't bother me. My expectations have changed drastically since Fallout 3 and 4 came out. It's going to be hard playing a game as big as this where the gameplay is very bland.

AmuroChan

It would be hard to fathom that this game wouldn't be at least good (7/10). If the flagship Bethesda studio can't make a decent game, what was the point of paying $9B to buy this publisher?

ungalo

Fallout 4 is alright but i hope it's not going to be in the same tier. Just the entirely new setting and a decent writing (instead of the horrendous writing of F4) could make it significantly fresher and more enjoyable to me, but i hope it's going to be more ambitious as a whole, especially in the quest design.

Not too much crafting and building please.

Last edited:
Fallout 4 was probably the worst received game the Maryland team has ever made since Morrowind, and it was still an overwhelming success both financially and critically. It's still played to this day.

Starfield will be fine.

Gorgon

Hoping for the best.

The potential for an engrossing planet exploring, and enjoyable enemy killing is there.

Regardless of everything else, I think people have unreasonable expectations. They said there's about 1000 star systems in the game with fully explorable planets. We've also see footage of the charater using a "hand-laser" to mine ore from the walls of a cave system. Sure as fuck Bethesda didn't handcraft 1000 planets for you full of cool shit to find. You know where this will be going: the novelty of exploration will wear off fast, so the game better have a lot of other cool shit to compensate.

Deerock71

It's a valid concern, since the Xbox division of Microsoft is in a death spiral with lack of compelling software.

ToadMan

Redfall was enough to get everyone tweaking about Starfield now?

You know Sony has put out low rated games as has Nintendo. In fact both have put out low selling consoles. It didn't spell the end of their quality gaming output and in fact both bounced back stronger.

Don't tell me MS can't do the same - a week ago they had $70bn to spend on gaming, now they can't recover from one crappy game?

Just relax - we are multi platform gamers here. There are plenty of great games out right now and the release schedule is stacked this year.

Just put Redfall down to bad luck and play something else.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think Fallout 4 is great.. it's just not quite as good as their past games. And Fallout 76 actually ended up being a really fun GAAS game. I mean it's a GAAS game with a Fallout sized map.. it's.. impressive. You just have to like doing online stuff like "live events", and deal with crafting/resource management more than you typically do.

Starfall is more the Skyrim team isn't it?

Having said that, I am still worried that it won't be great. The focus on building fortresses or whatever in Fallout 4 was a turnoff for me.. it seems like they are expanding on that, but also streamlining it.

Also I am massively dissapointed that it isn't one massive nearly cohesive map. I just love nothing more than going to random places on my Fallout/TES map at the start of the game and ignoring story missions and whatnot.

You know Sony has put out low rated games as has Nintendo. In fact both have put out low selling consoles. It didn't spell the end of their quality gaming output and in fact both bounced back stronger.

Don't tell me MS can't do the same - a week ago they had $70bn to spend on gaming, now they can't recover from one crappy game?

Just relax - we are multi platform gamers here. There are plenty of great games out right now and the release schedule is stacked this year.

MEx0mZZ.gif

Ozriel

M$FT
Biggest red flag is the delay. How can game studio with howard proudly claiming having 30 years of experience under their belts be two months before release like sheeeeit, there is atleast a year worth of work left be done.

Red flag?

I'm not sure there's any AAA game with a 2021/2022 release window that didn't have COVID delay their development process and ultimate cause a delay.

NEbeast

Grow up people. It's Bethesda. Stop overreacting.
200.gif
That's why people are worried. People are done with shitty games at launch. The old "Bethesda bugs" just won't wash anymore. Redfall falling on its face has made it even harder for starfield.

feynoob

Banned
That's why people are worried. People are done with shitty games at launch. The old "Bethesda bugs" just won't wash anymore. Redfall falling on its face has made it even harder for starfield.
The difference is that starfield isn't redfall.

It will be the same old Bethesda games. You either love it or hate it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't really like to go by past records -- unless they're extremely consistent. Depending on the talent of the team that's currently working on Starfield, it can turn out to be good or bad.

However, if the 2022 footage is anything to go by, it's not looking good.

Hopefully they got a chance to significantly improve the game in the last 12 months.

Fredrik

I think it’ll be fantastic. Looks like it’ll combine three of my favorite games, No Man’s Sky, Mass Effect and Skyrim

No Man’s Sky - multi planet open world space game with crafting and building
Mass Effect - sci-fi space adventure RPG
Skyrim - roleplaying, exploration and interactivity

My only concern is that it’ll be rushed out and will need patches. And first person shooting isn’t really my thing.

Gorgon

I said this 3 years ago.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-fate-of-bethesda-game-studios-2002-2020.1567787/

During this time, Bethesda stayed mostly the same and didn't seem to reinvent anything. They were never the best graphically, or in terms of combat, or in terms of animations. They had their open world trick, and it was getting less and less unique. Meanwhile, studios known for action games, top tier combat, top tier animations, all learned to do open world.

I fully agree with this. Bethesda made their name on the back of the ES series, and the main impact of those games was their open-ended, open world, free-roaming nature. Back in the day that was huge. Nowadays, it doesn't mean much by itself. Bethesda never had much creativity, the ES series was always creatively numb as far as fantasy goes, just namby-pamby off the shelves generic fantasy drivel. Skyrim had a tighter feel to it, and the gameplay (as a mage at least, because shield and sword sucked) was actually pretty fun. And yes, I include ES3 in the creatively empty fantasy list, even though it was better than most of the entries in the series at least until Skyrim. The ES series also sucked balls as far as storylines and interesting NPCs go, and meaningful dialogue and NPC interactions have always been dung. The Fallout series are, in my opinion, the best Bethesda has ever done on the creative side, other common criticisms aside. But even that is somewhat mute, since the IP was bought and it wasn't original to Bethesda to begin with, which speakes volumes.

I'm not sure where that leaves Starfield as an original IP. I like that you will be able to recruit NPCs to crew your ship and to crew the bases you build, but given the amount of NPCs available required to do that and Bethesda's track record, I don't see you getting anything remotely like the NPC interactions you get in something like Mass Effect, The Witcher, etc, not to mention Planescape Torment and other classics.

As for planet exploration, given the number of worlds on offer, they will maybe have pretty graphics but the novelty will probably wear off fast. Especially if you're forced to go around mining ore in caves etc as a main aspect of gameplay.

I hope the game delivers in other aspects, because I'd like it to be a success, but it's better to temper our expectations.

EDIT: We also need a lot more space-based RPGs, and that's reason alone to make me wish Starfield is a sucess.

Last edited:

DJ12

Let's be honest if the past is anything to go by eventually it will be a good game, once fans start fixing it.

I have no confidence in Bethesda to deliver a fantastic experience day one or day 365.

Crayon

I'm still excited, but that gameplay demonstration changed everything. When I gut-checked my hype, this is no longer top tier. Zelda and armored core are way up there like I'm going to explode lol. This, I know I'm going to play it but I'm not even sure if I'm going to get it month one.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Regardless of everything else, I think people have unreasonable expectations. They said there's about 1000 star systems in the game with fully explorable planets. We've also see footage of the charater using a "hand-laser" to mine ore from the walls of a cave system. Sure as fuck Bethesda didn't handcraft 1000 planets for you full of cool shit to find. You know where this will be going: the novelty of exploration will wear off fast, so the game better have a lot of other cool shit to compensate.
Bethesda does not need to make 1000 handcrafted planets. Just enough that by the time we find out the illusion we are 100 hours in. This is doable if you are hyped enough. Look at Elden ring and how much bigger it is than previous From Software titles. Elden Ring and GOW Ragnarok make the player explore for a long time. Why can't Bethesda do the same? Not saying that it will happen, but we can have some hope at least.

Redfall is a game that should not be out as the first 70 $ game from Microsoft. If they can give us this and be happy of the state it is now, they can do anything. I do not remember a Sony or Nintendo game that was in this state. With more of the game as a day one patch than in the disk. With bugs that are obvious but let in anyway. In a state that is contrary to what has been promised and taken for granted (60 fps). The fact that they either were thinking that Redfall was acceptable to publish in this state or was doomed so better gain whatever money you can recoup with it is not what we should be wanting from a console maker like Xbox. Some games needs a lot of time to get it right. And if the rumors are right then Starfield may be rushed to be out at the same time at Spider man 2, or just to make Xbox 2023 not barren. If the game is good anyway, great. But if they need time and are not given what they need... We should not be concerned at all, yes. But I did not believe that Microsoft would allow a clearly not ready Redfall after the clearly not ready Halo Infinite. And we all have our must have in gaming. Single player AAA new IP like Starfield are not that common and I want them to succeed.
I have no confidence in Bethesda to deliver a fantastic experience day one or day 365.
Having bugs is not the problem. We can forgive those if the world is enticing enough. But if it is not mature enough to show us why we should put time and work out what make it special then it will be dead. This is the difference for me and I still trust them to give me what they gave me with Skyrim.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm expecting a great game. They've been working on this for 8 years. Twice as long as FO4. I'm also expecting some decent level of polish. I played Skyrim 360 day one and had a great time with it, and the game worked as it should (it was probably the lead platform, we know the PS3 wasn't). That said, the gameplay reveal looked really rough and in the release date video, the gameplay they showed off was in a postage stamp a mile from Todd's head. That's not a good sign. If it sucks, then it is another MS disappointment, but I am expecting it to not suck.

FrankWza

If you liked skyrim you're going to like starfield. Pretty simple. I think that's where expectations should be and where the bar has been set by the devs

Exploration will be this games saving grace not combat that already looks bad it'll be a cool sandbox but I don't expect this to be Bethesda's magnum opus like some and hopefully it has a much better showing this time

I said this 3 years ago.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-fate-of-bethesda-game-studios-2002-2020.1567787/

Basically they were the first to hit it big with open world RPGs. For a whole console gen, no one else could really do it (PS3 / 360). Then all of last gen, everyone else caught up. Multiple publishers totally re-invented their engines and struggled through the learning pains. FFXV, Dragon's Dogma, even Metal Gear Solid V.

During this time, Bethesda stayed mostly the same and didn't seem to reinvent anything. They were never the best graphically, or in terms of combat, or in terms of animations. They had their open world trick, and it was getting less and less unique. Meanwhile, studios known for action games, top tier combat, top tier animations, all learned to do open world.

Nothing I've seen of Starfield looks that different from Fallout 4, so that's pretty much what I'm expecting. The thing that makes me a bit optimistic is the setting and the idea of playing as mostly realistic astronauts. Astronauts are not known for graceful combat and ballet style animations. They can barely move. The emphasis of the game will hopefully be on quality writing, lore, and RPG elements. They have the potential to pull all that off without reinventing the wheel.

In the future, they will have to learn new skills in the areas of combat, animations, etc. comparable to the growing pains other studios went through last gen learning open world.

TLDR: I'm expecting a Bethesda game similar to their past games. It will hopefully have cool exploration and story as the driving areas.

Well said. Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim especially stood out and were big deals (especially, again, Skyrim) because Bethesda were really kind of the only game in town doing it at that level. And in Skyrim's case, they benefited from the popularity Game of Thrones and medieval fantasy was enjoying in general at the time in media.

But last gen, it seemed like everyone had an open-world game to put out and a good number of them pushed open-world design forward beyond those Bethesda games. They were also able to build upon RPG mechanics for open-world environments. This gen already we've seen even more of that from pretty much all the big Western AAA studios, even some Japanese AAA studios. I mean Elden Ring just came out last year and was a massive event for many reasons, comparable to Skyrim at its release if not even more.

Personally I'm looking forward to Starfield but if the performance isn't noticeably improved over the gameplay from 2022, it might be a wait-and-see. There are details they've mentioned which make me worried they're focused on quantity of content over quality, like 250K lines of dialog (who cares if most of them are bad?) and 1,000 planets (999 of them being purely for resources and nothing more). The latter makes the game world feel smaller because you know most of it is only there for show. And how do they not have actual atmospheric reentry for a game focused on space exploration and flight!? Why is that relegated to a cutscene?

Still though, I think the game can be good. Maybe even great. They just can't afford for it to have any major bugs or glitches at launch, or the level of non-polish that RedFall has. Because if it ends up like that, the game's going to get torn apart and deservedly so. And I think that would also pretty much end any serious hopes or ambitions for expecting great things out of Xbox 1P for the rest of the generation, or taking Microsoft seriously as a platform holder for a long, long time.

Gorgon

I don't believe it's gonna suck. If I had an Xbox or gaming PC I'd just wait for a few reviews to be sure it doesn't stink, but I belive I'd buy it at launch, no prob. It won't be kingdom come, but it won't be worse than FO4 either. I think you guys are safe.

Top Bottom