• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm worried that Starfield is gonna suck and here's my main reason for it

DosGamer

The showcase was pretty dope, but one thing I noticed was the over the shoulder view of the planets landscape when you land... its like a different back drop but it all looks cut and pasted. I hope that actually walking around the planets give them all a different feel.

Haano

Fallout 76 was MP online. This is SP game. You are playing the game alone.
It's not about whether it's MP or SP. RedFall was SP and that still failed due to many game-breaking bugs, glitches, boring, annoying combat, stupid AI....

However, RedFall was made with the Unreal Engine, And Starfield is made with the Creation Engine. Redfall is made by Arkane, vs Bethesda.

Fallout 76 uses Creation and was made by Bethesda. So a good engine, with a good company, yet still a very poor launch.

Starfield uses Creation 2.0 and is made by Bethesda... So have they learnt their mistakes with MP games. I hope so.

feynoob

Banned
It's not about whether it's MP or SP. RedFall was SP and that still failed due to many game-breaking bugs, glitches, boring, annoying combat, stupid AI....

However, RedFall was made with the Unreal Engine, And Starfield is made with the Creation Engine. Redfall is made by Arkane, vs Bethesda.

Fallout 76 uses Creation and was made by Bethesda. So a good engine, with a good company, yet still a very poor launch.

Starfield uses Creation 2.0 and is made by Bethesda... So have they learnt their mistakes with MP games. I hope so.
Redfall wasn't made by Bethesda. It has nothing to do with Bethesda.
Fallout 76 was a side project. It was hammered heavily by mtx and the online mode.

As for Creation engine, it was the same engine as Skyrim and fallout 4.

You have nothing to worry about.

Haano

Honestly, If they manage to nail the Procedure generation of the Planets, this game is a 95+ Easily.
I mean, No Man Sky is now pretty good with Procedural Generation of Planets, but the game is so wide and empty, it just becomes extremely boring.
So its not just about planet generation, but what you can do and what NPC/Story elements it also has.

Haano

Redfall wasn't made by Bethesda. It has nothing to do with Bethesda.
Fallout 76 was a side project. It was hammered heavily by mtx and the online mode.

As for Creation engine, it was the same engine as Skyrim and fallout 4.

You have nothing to worry about.
I didn't say it was made by Bethesda, re-read my comment!!!

I hope I have nothing to worry about!!!! I have pre-ordered it since it was at a 25% discount for the premium version on PC, which makes it 5 bucks more than the standard version.
But I will hold off on claiming the key until the reviews come through.

I'm still very excited :)

feynoob

Banned
I mean, No Man Sky is now pretty good with Procedural Generation of Planets, but the game is so wide and empty, it just becomes extremely boring.
So its not just about planet generation, but what you can do and what NPC/Story elements it also has.
Do you know what Bethesda is good at?

feynoob

Banned
I didn't say it was made by Bethesda, re-read my comment!!!

I hope I have nothing to worry about!!!! I have pre-ordered it since it was at a 25% discount for the premium version on PC, which makes it 5 bucks more than the standard version.
But I will hold off on claiming the key until the reviews come through.

I'm still very excited :)
You won't regret the ride. You are in for a huge adventure. Just make sure you have enough time to pack your stuff.

XesqueVara

Thing here is that on Starfield the Planets are Procedural Generated but the content on them are not, they are handcrafted, so you might go on a Planet and still have tons of shit to do on them.

Haano

Thing here is that on Starfield the Planets are Procedural Generated but the content on them are not, they are handcrafted, so you might go on a Planet and still have tons of shit to do on them.
That sounds like the perfect balance, hopefully, its as good as they claim. Todd oozing with excitement in the showcase.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm generally much more optimistic about the game than I was when I originally made this thread because what they presented during the showcase looked so much better than that crappy gameplay footage from before. But one thing that I'm still skeptical about is this procedural generated crap. The details on that are a bit foggy, which is never a good sign, plus "procedural generation" honestly doesn't sound like something that I would even want out of a story-driven RPG like this. It sounds like it's only gonna make the game more shallow and its size will be largely artificial.

I'm guessing that most of the game will be just barren, empty landscapes like in Elite, with only a handful hand-crafted locations. They might as well narrow the scope and just focus on creating a limited sized maps for each planet that would be more rich in content.

Last edited:
I think Starfield will be good, but I doubt it will live up to the insanely high expectations literally everyone has for it much like Cyberpunk 2077.

Ozriel

M$FT
I think Starfield will be good, but I doubt it will live up to the insanely high expectations literally everyone has for it much like Cyberpunk 2077.

most people are hyped with the features and depth they showed off at the Direct.
Some of you speak as if people expect the game to make toast for them.

XesqueVara

I'm generally much more optimistic about the game than I was when I originally made this thread because what they presented during the showcase looked so much better than that crappy gameplay footage from before. But one thing that I'm still skeptical about is this procedural generated crap. The details on that are a bit foggy, which is never a good sign, plus "procedural generation" honestly doesn't sound like something that I would even want out of a story-driven RPG like this. It sounds like it's only gonna make the game more shallow and its size will be largely artificial.

I'm guessing that most of the game will be just barren, empty landscapes like in Elite, with only a handful hand-crafted locations. They might as well narrow the scope and just focus on creating a limited sized maps for each planet that would be more rich in content.
Yeah it will depend of how the procedural generation mechanic will work tbh, every other thing that they showed looks amazing. From what i understand of the Showcase the Planets will be generated procedurally, but the contents on them will be handcrafted, how this work we still need to see.

I was gonna get a Series X for this but I can't Justify it at 30 fps... I cannot stand FFVI or Harry Potter or most games in quality mode..(Re4 and Zelda are fine tho) Part of me assumes I would have the same problem with Starfield.

It just means I'll have to invest on a PC (Most likely Laptop) since the one I have is for work... But I'd want to wait way after launch... hopefully I make it through the hype but I don't fancy my chances; I'll go crazy around launch... Too bad I can't just get an Xbox and play as I had planned.

Honestly... I get what you're saying. I usually fall off after the "honeymoon" phase with Bethesda/FallOut games as well. I usually tire of them 15hrs in. It's shiny, it's new, etc. but after I soon realize... it's a Bethesda/FallOut game and I peace out.

IDK maybe I just actually don't like Bethesda games, I keep going back to them to give it another shot... they're like that exGF you keep going back to hoping they've changed, but they haven't. They're gonna be who they're going to be. I'm playing Starfiled, of course I am, but for how long? We'll have to see.

For me, starfield doesn't have to be groundbreaking. I hated Fallout 4 because of the environments, lame guns [Hated pipe guns], and bland take on a dilapidated environments.

But this I have more confidence in. I liked literally every gun and environment I saw. The draw for this game is the availability of all I can do. It seems like a real words where I can delve in so many different activities. It seems like one of the first true living worlds in my opinion. Rdr2 did pretty well though. I compare it to that bc I feel like many open world games lack this depth.

It may not be perfect and it doesn't have to be. I just hope it has as much substance as it seems bc that will male me happy.

most people are hyped with the features and depth they showed off at the Direct.
Some of you speak as if people expect the game to make toast for them.
Wasn’t Starfield called one, if not the most important XBOX game of the generation? That there tells me that the hype and expectations are most likely really high for the game. I don’t think people are expecting the best game ever, but after Redfall’s negative reception and for Microsoft/Bethesda’s sake, I feel it definitely has to be very good.

Ozriel

M$FT

Why would populating the Galaxy you’re flying in make it more shallow?
They’ve also shared more detail on the procedurally generated planets than you’re claiming. Certainly most of the game won’t be ‘barren landscapes’, the planets essential to the story are completely handcrafted and they’re putting limited sized handcrafted maps on a lot of the procedurally generated planets, just like you say you want.

You’ll also know - via scanning - if a planet is a completely empty iceball or whatever before you go land there.

Wasn’t Starfield called one, if not the most important XBOX game of the generation? That there tells me that the hype and expectations are most likely really high for the game. I don’t think people are expecting the best game ever, but after Redfall’s negative reception and for Microsoft/Bethesda’s sake, I feel it definitely has to be very good.

This feels like a complete reversal of what you said earlier.
Consumers who are hyped for the game aren’t in that state because some gaming journalists called it ‘one of the most important Xbox games of the generation’.

b0uncyfr0

Good to see someone's thinking about it.

Nothing that was shown was revolutionary [Except maybe the scale]. We've seen everything else done and most likely done better. SF might end up being a jack of all trades, a master of none.

Keep your expectations in check.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Why would populating the Galaxy you’re flying in make it more shallow?
They’ve also shared more detail on the procedurally generated planets than you’re claiming. Certainly most of the game won’t be ‘barren landscapes’, the planets essential to the story are completely handcrafted and they’re putting limited sized handcrafted maps on a lot of the procedurally generated planets, just like you say you want.

You’ll also know - via scanning - if a planet is a completely empty iceball or whatever before you go land there.
Ever heard of an expression "wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle"? That's exactly what happens when you make a giant-ass game just for the sake of making it giant, but don't fill it with anything meaningful to explore or experience. To expect that 99,99% of those planets' surfaces will be anything but a barren rock is a pipe dream.

All I'm saying is to temper your expectations and remember Todd Howard's famous words about a certain mountain and being able to go there.

DavidGzz

I think many will love it and others who overhyped themselves believing it somehow transcends every other game out there will be disappointed. Then you have fanboys of a platform that isn't getting it who will of course hate it and laugh at anything negative about it.

Ribi

Stop being obnoxious, of course... single-player RPG games...

I mean so was CD Projekt red, and look how mediocre Cyberpunk was, fantastic game tho just overhyped and over-promised.
Game go reviewed well on PC tho. The people who cried about the release were mainly playing on last gen consoles. Look it up, the release was fine on launch for PC and the content while not being what was promised still managed to score very highly on pc

The Starfield trailer revealed a jet pack feature. It looks like Prey multi-player to me. Granted, that is just a play style one can choose but one worries. Bows, Sneak and Conjuration is just a playstyle in Skyrim, but I keep playing that way because it is easy and fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom