• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals Fenyx Rising: Review thread

JORMBO

Darkness no more
5cec210a39798c0870c07684-10.jpg

Digital Chumps: 90
Though Immortals Fenyx Rising may borrow familiar elements from other series, this new IP from Ubisoft establishes a unique identity through the lens of Greek mythology by using humor, intelligent puzzles, powerful combat, and clever world building.

Easy Allies: 80
Immortals Fenyx Rising lays a solid foundation for a new open world game by drawing inspiration from other successful contemporaries. It boasts an impressive combat system, but the limited enemy roster fails to showcase its true potential. Yet there’s so much to do and see, with numerous opportunities that highlight the amazing puzzle designs and the enormous scale of the world to explore, all set to a wonderful soundtrack composed by Gareth Coker. For those looking for a more stylized open world experience that doesn’t strive for realism, but rather revels in its mythology, Immortals is your type of odyssey.

Attack of the Fanboy: 80
Ubisoft has a knack for creating beautiful, expansive open worlds, but none of them are as compelling to explore as Immortals Fenyx Rising. It’s a sprawling, colorful playground with plenty of nooks and crannies to get lost in.

Dual Shockers: 75
Immortals takes inspiration from many of its Ubisoft predecessors, as well as some other big titles, but it doesn’t really do a good enough job of differentiating itself. There’s no denying that there’s a great time to be had on the Golden Isle, just don’t go into it expecting anything genre-defining.

IGN: 7/10
Immortals Fenyx Rising gives us a gorgeous world to explore, filled with mythological beasts, deities, and powers to wield. Its combat is satisfying, with plenty of choice in upgrades, while its central characters, comedic tone, and storytelling are a real highlight. Seeing Fenyx’s saga through to the end, with amusing commentary from Zeus, Prometheus, and other gods along the way, is a treat. Its Achilles Heel, though, is that so much of the puzzle gameplay feels like going through the motions instead of clever challenges. In the end, I wish Immortals Fenyx Rising had tried to soar just a little higher on the wings of ambition.

Gamespot: 70
Immortals Fenyx Rising is far from perfect--but it is good. It stumbles frequently as it explores Greek myths through a new lens, its best features are borrowed, and for as large and fun as its world is, it always feels like you're on a guided tour instead of really exploring it. But even as it lives in the shadow of better games, its puzzles, combat, and open-world loop come together often enough for me to not only see it through for a few dozen ho

Push Square: 70
While Immortals Fenyx Rising may not have too many ideas to call its own, Ubisoft has created a successful amalgamation worth checking out. Simplistic but enjoyable combat provides the basis for a stunning world full of explorative opportunities and a humorous narrative that’ll have you chuckling once or twice. Just don’t let anyone know what the cause was. Puzzles are definitely a source of frustration, but if you can look past them, Immortals Fenyx Rising provides a formulaic but entertaining experience.

VGC: 40
The only saving grace is that some of the elements it lifts from much better games are recreated adequately, so fans of those titles might find some of the fun of going to see a cover band of your favourite artist. You’ve likely not only played Immortals Fenyx Rising before, you’d played a better version of it.

Video Review from our friend Karak Karak

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gonna watch Karak vid in a while, looks good so far.

Prob gonna end up getting just dunno if ps5 or Xbox series x

Fbh

Will definitely pick up on a sale.
Just watched the ACG review and he really liked it aside from the Story/writing (It' a Ubisoft game though, so crappy story/writing is a given) and the ugly puppet looking characters. But he definitely made me want to pick it up eventually.

The IGN review though does make it sound a bit like Ubisoft completely missing what made the open world of BOTW fun:
Fenyx’s Far Sight ability diminishes the joy of discovery somewhat, reducing it to a mechanical process of climbing to a vista, scanning the world, and marking out collectables and challenges – whether they’re visible or not. This takes a lot of the mystery out of the world.
While Immortals does use a stamina system for gliding and climbing, my plentiful supply of easily crafted stamina potions ensured that I could still quite easily get to wherever I wanted. As such, the environment itself wasn’t much of a puzzle, which is a real shame for an open-world game.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
It looks like it could be fun, but I find games that constantly try be funny to be exhausting, so I can see myself checking out of this one early. I'll give it a shot on Ubisoft+ though.

Reactions: GHG

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks for posting the review folks
Game is great!
Just wanted to say, your review has totally sold me on this game.

But I'm literally being buried in Ubisoft open-world games.

Humdinger

Hm. Pretty good reviews, though the aggregate score is lower than I'd hope. I wonder if takes hits in reviews because of its comparison to BotW. The game can be very good, yet if that's your comparison point, It's going to look like a pale imitation. Which isn't unfair, I suppose. The the game steals so overtly from BotW, the comparison is inevitable.

I'll pick it up.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It's reviewing better than I expected it to. I thought mid to high 70's at best.

Guess it stays on my xmas list.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Reviewing better than I expected. I really enjoyed the stadia demo but it very clearly has the ubisoft feel. I'll grab it on a sale for sure but just too much to play right now especially if you already have a ubisoft game.

Klayzer

Looks interesting

I noticed some of the reviews dont like this game being a bit like Zelda, but who cares what reviewers think ?
You will notice a similar pattern when Nintendo like games are reviewed. Honestly, it doesn't even have to be Nintendo like, all it has to have is a mechanic that's been in a Nintendo game for reviewers to dock it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've been eyeballing this one for a while, I like the idea it's not bloated like typical Ubishit and is pretty lighthearted. I'll probably check it out.

Freeman76

Thanks for posting the review folks
Game is great!
Your reviews are good man, down to earth and get right to the point. I wouldnt have looked at this too closely but I've bought it after that review. That whatsapp analogy was dope btw!

Sion86

Neo Member
It looks like it could be fun, but I find games that constantly try be funny to be exhausting, so I can see myself checking out of this one early. I'll give it a shot on Ubisoft+ though.
Looks like a great podcast game for that very reason

sobaka770

Banned
On one hand I'm pleased that this game is getting rave reviews, congrats to Ubi for making another solid game.

On the other hand: Ubi just released 3 open world games in 2 months. And no matter how much I enjoy Valhalla despite finishing Watch Dogs legion, it's simply an insane amount of overlapping experiences that share common gameplay loops. Do they really not feel that they probably oversaturate their own market?

TheMan

Interested but I've been spending too much lately. With cyberpunk on the way(SOON!) I may have to hold off

Kimahri

Banned
It's a lot of fun. But as usual for Ubisoft it's too big. I'm probably not gonna finish it. Half the game is gorgeous , and the other half is pretty brown and dull, it's a bit weird. They could have just cut half the game world and it'd be better for it.

Also, what's with the asinine juvenile humor? It's incredibly stupid, and annoying. If they'd just cut that crap, or at least get some writers who know how to, you know, write, it would be a big help.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh somehow I didn't realize this was also coming to the Switch. I wonder how performance is. I just finished Age of Calamity and I'm needing a new Switch game.

MiguelItUp

Surprised at the positive reception, but that's a cool thing! I may check it out at some point, I know the previews sounded positive, so at least this released with that same vibe. Wtf at that "40" score, lmao.

Top Bottom