• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In all seriousness, why haven't SquareEnix supported the PSP more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that the upcoming TGS, is going to be something of a make or break moment for the PSP, and I get the feeling that I'm not the only person who thinks this.

Now one thing that myself, and many others assumed prior to the PSP's release was that there would be support from SE, but that hasn't really materialised. So far all that the PSP has had from the company has been an outsorced port of a PSOne rpg (which probably had more to do with raising interest in the PS2 prequel), a port of a board game and a spin-off that seems to be eternally stuck in a limbo of no forseeable release date.

I suppose the natural assumption is that SE placed the PSP and the DS side by side and decided which one would get their support. However I don't think that is really the case, and I think that theory is a product of the old way that SE use to operate, when they would remain exclusive to one platform at a time. However the way SE operated seems to have changed quite radically in recent years. They now seem to be in the mind of supporting just about every system around.

I think the easy assumption is that it's the PSP's software sales that have made it go cold, but as before I think that this is not a satisfactory explanation. Unfortunately this is where I feel I have to bring in the DS, which I'm trying not to do because I know it could be inflammatory, but I believe that the DS has little to do with SE staying off the PSP. There's no doubting that SE has chosen to put themselves firmly behind the DS, but until the recent release of FFIII third party sales haven't been particularly strong for either platform. For whatever reason though, SE saw beyond this, saw potential and have pursued DS development. I have to assume though that when it comes to the PSP, they haven't seen any similar potential for themselves to benefit from it. Game development isn't something done on the turn of a dime, games development takes time, and so the lack of SE PSP support has to have been a desicion made quite a while ago. Long before Brain Training went from mildly successful to crazy phenomenon, before Animal Crossing, NSMB, DSLite and all that. So I don't think the sales argument comes into it as much as people might think it does.

On the basis of this I propose that it is something about the PSP, in and of itself, that SE don't feel is right for them.

So what is it? And who is responsible for this situation? Can it be changed, or is it too late? And does it have any long term implications for the relationship between Sony and SE?

Oops. Hit the submit topic button before I had finished, or barely started for that matter. Give me a second to edit this properly.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Why didn't SquareEnix supported the Game Cube or que Xbox?

Come on, now it's the DS where they can do the money :)

LevelNth

Banned
I hope SE has more planned for the PSP than just CC, but I'm not holding my breath. Low dev costs plus easy sales on the DS in Japan is just too much to pass up, understandably.

Right now I'm just hoping they don't focus more on handhelds than consoles...

Well, the DS has more sales potential in Japan and lower development costs, so I guess you could ask: Why would they support the PSP? I don't mean that as a troll ... it's just that, given a choice between starting a project for the DS or the PSP, there are a lot more factors in favor of the DS. Repeat that choice several times and you end up with a lot of DS titles and not so many PSP. I don't think it's a deliberate slight so much as economics.

It's also been pretty typical for Square and Enix to support one console pretty heavily to the exclusion of others.

Jonnyram

Besides the obvious sales difference, the main reason to go to DS is dev cost. I think this was on the cards a long time before the current sales divide between DS and PSP became apparent.

Most of the Square releases for DS have been underwhelming so far. FF3 is the most promising, and the upcoming Mana game has potential.

I feel good about Crisis Core though. Good team working on it, and a solid premise.

I think it's the fact that the PS2 still exists for the main series and the less resource intensive/higher selling Nintendo DS in the handheld realm for all their spin-offs of the main series'.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
PSP software will eventually more sparse than gamecube software was. Gamecube was at least cheaper to develop for and assets could be shared so a profit could be made on ports even if they didn't sell nearly as much as on PS2. This will not be the case on PSP.

(By japanese developers this is btw.)

Meier

Back when the PSP seemed destined to become the market leader, they announced quite a bit of support for it -- but since then, the DS has obviously left it far, far behind. They really don't have much reason to support it.

sugarhigh4242 said:
Most of the Square releases for DS have been underwhelming so far. FF3 is the most promising, and the upcoming Mana game has potential.

I feel good about Crisis Core though. Good team working on it, and a solid premise.

I guess Mario 3 on 3 sold poorly as well, right?

edit: Children of Mana also sold solidly on the DS. Hell, they've been selling a lot more than most 3rd party titles on the PSP, I don't know where "underwhelming" comes from.

Yeah, but SE seems to have supported the DS out of the gate, long before it really took off in Japan. And it can be argued that their support is one of the reason the serious gamer (as opposed to the Brain Training/Nintendogs casual gamer crowd) picked up a DS, for FF3.

While they basically ignored the PSP altogether, save a port of a PS1 game by Tri-ace (probably mostly for marketing purposes for the PS2 sequel) and a game which probably will never come out (Crisis Core)

I think that is the original poster's question.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
sugarhigh4242 said:

Crisis Core is a smoke screen to divert attention away from the fact that S-E has fallen back in love with Nintendo.

Truthfully, the seemed to back the DS more than the PSP before either handheld even released. But now that the DS is an f-ing phenomenon, SE has a ton of games in development for the system. I'm not complaining. :D

elostyle said:
PSP software will eventually more sparse than gamecube software was. Gamecube was at least cheaper to develop for and assets could be shared so a profit could be made on ports even if they didn't sell nearly as much as on PS2. This will not be the case on PSP.

(By japanese developers this is btw.)

wat

Since when is PSP incapable of using PS2 assets? lol

Jiggy

sugarhigh4242 said:
Clever evasion of mentioning "Enix" there, if intentional. :p

MrDaravon

trancejeremy said:
Yeah, but SE seems to have supported the DS out of the gate, long before it really took off in Japan. And it can be argued that their support is one of the reason the serious gamer (as opposed to the Brain Training/Nintendogs casual gamer crowd) picked up a DS, for FF3.

While they basically ignored the PSP altogether, save a port of a PS1 game by Tri-ace (probably mostly for marketing purposes for the PS2 sequel) and a game which probably will never come out (Crisis Core)

I think that is the original poster's question.

Jonnyram said:
Besides the obvious sales difference, the main reason to go to DS is dev cost. I think this was on the cards a long time before the current sales divide between DS and PSP became apparent.

Amused_To_Death said:
It doesn't help when a high profile game like VP fails to sell to sell 100K in over two months...

I don't how a simple port of an obscure PS1 game qualifies as "high profile". And it's sold better in 2 months than the original PS1 game sold.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Amused_To_Death said:
It doesn't help when a high profile game like VP fails to sell to sell 100K in over two months...

they've had the game re-release quite a few times in Japan.....at a way cheaper price...

klee123

jj984jj said:
In all seriousness, why haven't Capcom supported the DS more?

Capcom was always known for supporting the underdogs. They did it with the Saturn, Dreamcast and Gamecube.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
sugarhigh4242 said:

what solid premise? do you know anything about that game? it's a ff7 spinoff and we all know how those turn out *looks at AC and DoC*... yikes

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think the main deal breaker might be FF Crisis Core's sales. if it isn't anything short of magical for a PSP game, they'll probably just stick to PS1 game ports/downloads.

trancejeremy said:
I don't how a simple port of an obscure PS1 game qualifies as "high profile". And it's sold better in 2 months than the original PS1 game sold.

In the US, yes. In Japan, where the original sold approx. 625,000, no.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Error2k4 said:
what solid premise? do you know anything about that game? it's a ff7 spinoff and we all know how those turn out *looks at AC and DoC*... yikes
And it's being directed by some new guy.

I doubt he's even play any of S-E's DS games.

klee123

jj984jj said:
*looks at PS2*

Yeah...

Yes they did support the PS2 the most, but compared to other companies like Square enix and Konami, at least they try to support other less popular platforms.

You never know, maybe they prefer the PSP platform? I mean if just sales alone determines where all the support goes, then all Japanese developers should just give up on the PSP and just go straight to DS exclusively.

castle007

Banned
jj984jj said:
In all seriousness, why haven't Capcom supported the DS more?

I am still trying to figure out why.

In an interview with some people from Capcom, they said that Japan is not very important in the console race. They look at worldwide sales and U.S sales. If they are looking at U.S sales right now, they should be seeing that the DS is kicking ass. More support please Capcom. We need more Castlevania games!!!

Christ, I knew this would happen. I probably should have just asked the mods to lock the thread and started afresh.

Ah well, I won't make the mistake of accidentally submitting an unfinished topic.

flammie said:
They were probably unhappy with how Sony pulled support of the ps2 Hard Drive.

If that were the case then FFXIII wouldn't have happened. It comes down to what it always comes down to with them and that's sales. The DS is winning so it gets the majority of their support this time.

osyrus

castle007 said:
I am still trying to figure out why.

In an interview with some people from Capcom, they said that Japan is not very important in the console race. They look at worldwide sales and U.S sales. If they are looking at U.S sales right now, they should be seeing that the DS is kicking ass. More support please Capcom. We need more Castlevania games!!!

Konamicom :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom