• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In all seriousness, why haven't SquareEnix supported the PSP more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
castle007 said:
I am still trying to figure out why.

In an interview with some people from Capcom, they said that Japan is not very important in the console race. They look at worldwide sales and U.S sales. If they are looking at U.S sales right now, they should be seeing that the DS is kicking ass. More support please Capcom. We need more Castlevania games!!!

Konami makes Castlevania

castle007 said:
I am still trying to figure out why.

In an interview with some people from Capcom, they said that Japan is not very important in the console race. They look at worldwide sales and U.S sales. If they are looking at U.S sales right now, they should be seeing that the DS is kicking ass. More support please Capcom. We need more Castlevania games!!!

Okay this was one of the points I wanted to make in my original post, before I messed it up. Games development isn't instantaneous, a decision made now probably won't be felt at a public level for months, even years after it has been made. The way people act with sales, it's like they expect companies to just turn around and announce a new AAA game every month for the next 2 years, after a couple of months of sales.

Drek

Square Enix does the bulk of their sales in Japan. DS is selling pretty awesomely in Japan. See the connection?

Square Enix has actually played their hand pretty slowly with the handhelds, giving titles to both systems early on and only just recently really kicking DS support up a notch.

I don't think it'll hurt SE's support of the PSP in the long run for that matter either. The DS and PSP are very different, with very different userbases. A game like Crisis Core is ideal for the PSP, while some of SE's newly announced titles are better fits for Nintendo's handhelds. We'll see support for both, as both handhelds are a source of profit for a major 3rd party like SE. Honestly I think we'll see more SE support on the two handhelds over the next few years than we will on the consoles. When the White Engine is finished they'll have a more cost effective system for new console development along with a major FF bringing in serious money, until then they'll enjoy the very green pastures the two handhelds can provide a 3rd party with their clout and library of IPs.

In regards to SquareEnix, I think they made some comments early on that they were concerned that the PSP was being positioned as more of a challenger to Apple than Nintendo.

Pellham

Banned
FitzOfRage said:
In regards to SquareEnix, I think they made some comments early on that they were concerned that the PSP was being positioned as more of a challenger to Apple than Nintendo.

:lol wow

ethelred

Tarjeta Prepagada said:
Nintendo moneyhats is the only right answer to this question.

Nintendo doesn't need to pay Square Enix money for its DS support. Square Enix is making more than enough money off the actual sales of their games.

The averaged sales of all of SE's DS games, by the way, is ~310,000. That's pretty ****ing impressive.

The actual sales of their PSP games are much lower, in case you were wondering.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Okay this was one of the points I wanted to make in my original post, before I messed it up. Games development isn't instantaneous, a decision made now probably won't be felt at a public level for months, even years after it has been made. The way people act with sales, it's like they expect companies to just turn around and announce a new AAA game every month for the next 2 years, after a couple of months of sales.

Well, no, you don't expect a new game to be announced immediately after a couple of months' strong sales. But bear in mind that a lot of the announcements you're seeing for the DS right now are projects that were likely initiated in November/December 2005 when the DS sold a staggering 600k in a single week. That, I imagine, opened up a lot of publishers' eyes pretty damned wide. And just now, almost a year later, are we going to start seeing the ramifications of that.

To answer your original question: it's just simple, really. They took a look at the two platforms and Wada determined which would be the market leader (a matter of predictive analysis), while factoring in lower development costs. Wada's repeatedly stressed how he agreed with Nintendo's direction of trying to go in an unusual direction and the necessity of bringing in new gamers. And voila, they had a console of choice.

They're not going to completely ignore the PSP, though -- it's still selling decently in Japan, and its software's still doing well in the US (though as Amused to Death noted, SE's gotta be disappointed with the VP:L sales so far). But it's likely that the ratio in favor of the DS is just going to keep growing.

acidviper

Banned
Its simple, why make new games when you can re-sell those glory-day PS1 games that are supposedly heading to PSP. SE is going to make a killing if the load times are eliminated and the games look better.

Tarazet

Die Squirrel Die said:
Christ, I knew this would happen. I probably should have just asked the mods to lock the thread and started afresh.

Ah well, I won't make the mistake of accidentally submitting an unfinished topic.

No offense, but even if the OP had been as fully formed as it is now, it wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

Die Squirrel Die said:

There are people who get paid a lot of money to predict these kinds of stuff- market trends, growth, cost, risk factor, etc.

sugarhigh4242 said:
Most of the Square releases for DS have been underwhelming so far. FF3 is the most promising, and the upcoming Mana game has potential.

I feel good about Crisis Core though. Good team working on it, and a solid premise.

I'd like to take this point in time to say: you are ****ing thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom