• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Kouichi

While I'm doing FFXV post game stuff, I decided to join in on this and finally play one of the classic 2D games. I decided on Final Fantasy II since I wanted to go back to the medieval style, and I've always really liked Firion in Dissidia so I thought it was time to play his game.

I've been playing the PSX version, and I'm enjoying it so far. Just made it Salamand. I really like how you can customize your party with different weapons and they become more skilled with the weapons they use and the battles they fight, instead of just traditional leveling. Very interesting stuff!

RDreamer

Got my fiance to start playing FFIX on her surface pro. I was surprised how good the game looked with (what I assume are) updated models. The backgrounds are a bit blurry, but still don't look too bad considering how much it's blown up.

She just arrived at Dali and I think she's liking it so far.

We're also both still waiting on our Gamecube memory card to arrive before we can play Crystal Chronicles again together.

Pachimari

I wanna go through Final Fantasy 1 on iPad but which classes should I choose if this is my first time to go through it? Will this do?

Warrior
Monk
White Mage
Red Mage

Aeana

I wanna go through Final Fantasy 1 on iPad but which classes should I choose if this is my first time to go through it? Will this do?

Warrior
Monk
White Mage
Red Mage

My personal recommendation would be to replace red mage with black mage. But you can beat the game with the group you've chosen.

Lineup is fine, I would avoid using a Thief (they're not that great) and absolutely use a White Mage especially if you want to do post-game stuff. Red Mage / Wizard doesn't have access to party heal spells or advanced heal spells, which made a lot of the optional superboss fights a pain in the butt.

I have finished FF1 on PSP three times this year, but whatever I'll do it once more with commentary since it's the 30th anniversary and all that. Then I'll move to FF2 (PSP) and hopefully it won't get corrupted too :lol

Aeana

I haven't posted much about FF4. As I mentioned, I don't really intend to say much.

With that said, here is the best reason to play the PSX (or SNES) version of FF4.

KUpSPrh.png

kKJVplm.png
Zo1PxiC.png
baaGtNb.png

YH7Wzwk.png
f3VUrtA.png

Making this game shorter is my favorite thing. Now I don't have to go to the sealed cave or fight demon wall.

I haven't posted much about FF4. As I mentioned, I don't really intend to say much.

With that said, here is the best reason to play the PSX (or SNES) version of FF4.

KUpSPrh.png

kKJVplm.png
Zo1PxiC.png
baaGtNb.png

YH7Wzwk.png
f3VUrtA.png

Making this game shorter is my favorite thing. Now I don't have to go to the sealed cave or fight demon wall.

Holy shit, I never knew that was possible

Ladekabel

Debating if I should play FFV or FFVI first after I have my platinum in FFXV and finished Xanadu Next.

Chronological would probably be best but FFVI is rotting longer on my harddrive.

Opa-Pa

I've been revisiting FFVII on PS4 and giving FFI another go on my Vita (Origins version) these past days mainly thanks to this thread and it's been interesting... The PS4 port features help a lot with the slow start in terms of combat (it does get more exciting... Right?), but I've noticed a lot of great things I didn't back when I first played it. Not only I'm liking the main cast more this time around (I used to care only about Cloud, Aerith, and Red XIII, maybe Cid) and I'm appreciating the world building much more. The world and its people are definitely the focus at the beginning and I love it. I made it outside of Midgar last night.

FFI, though, well... I first played this in the form of Dawn of Souls and only made it to the part where you get the ship from the pirates because I found it too hard, so I went for the obvious this time and got the much harder Origins version of course.

I've struggled A LOT, but still progressed slowly. I'm definitely lamenting going for Warrior/Thief/BMage/WMage now instead of three warriors and a WM for example. Money is tight, a good inventory is basically mandatory and the limited magic hurts a lot, but I made it to Terra Cavern now and my party is finally starting to feel dependable... But the encounter rate is killing me. Don't get me wrong, I like random encounters, but I wanted to go blind, but Marsh Cave made me snap and had go resort to a guide to at least have a vague notion of what to do after every boss, because the encounter rate is so high that I feel it'll take me a year to beat this otherwise.

Hell, I was so desperate I looked up if there were any glitches to stop battles (like pausing constantly, I dunno) and found out that the left corridor of Terra Cave has a higher rate, which explains why I was getting battles every two steps haha.

Not sure if I'll finish either run, but I'll try! I don't consider myself a fan anymore, but the series has given me a lot of great moments in the past and it feels right to celebrate it. I might even go for V one more time once I beat/give up on I.

Pachimari

I guess I'll go with Black Mage and White Mage in FF1. I was just feeling the Red Mage hype from FFXIV.

And I am progressing nicely in FFXIV. I unlocked the Palace of the Dead, opened up the Halila dungeon and is gonna do the GC Hunting Log to get my own chocobo. So many interesting things are happening in my FFXIV.

I'm gonna put FFVI on hold until I beat FFI though.

[Edit] What can red mage do compared to the other mages?

Aeana

I guess I'll go with Black Mage and White Mage in FF1. I was just feeling the Red Mage hype from FFXIV.

And I am progressing nicely in FFXIV. I unlocked the Palace of the Dead, opened up the Halila dungeon and is gonna do the GC Hunting Log to get my own chocobo. So many interesting things are happening in my FFXIV.

I'm gonna put FFVI on hold until I beat FFI though.

[Edit] What can red mage do compared to the other mages?

Red mage is really good before the halfway point, with much better stat growth, but then it falls off a cliff at that point. Red mage can take hits better and conserve spells in random encounters better than the other mages.

Essentially, a red mage is a white+black mage together, with the ability to melee attack. Problem is that it can't learn the higher level white or black magic spells, and it will never be able to compete melee-wise with the pure damage dealers. So it just becomes a bit of a weakling jack of all trades in the end.

RDreamer

Yunalesca is being a brat. First time I fought her she hits my zombie character with a big attack and then directly afterwards does the attack that kills anything non-zombie. Fuck. Second time I fight her my zombie character dies of regent literally the second she does Mega Death and kills the two full health other characters...

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to sit through so many cutscenes each time...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yunalesca is being a brat. First time I fought her she hits my zombie character with a big attack and then directly afterwards does the attack that kills anything non-zombie. Fuck. Second time I fight her my zombie character dies of regent literally the second she does Mega Death and kills the two full health other characters...

Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to sit through so many cutscenes each time...

You could always cheese it with the good 'ole "fill up all Yuna's aeons to their overdrives then unleash them one after another" strat on her third form lol

Aeana

BFpFECP.png

Now it's time for the part of this Very Serious and Respectable Game where a flying whale comes out of the water and we fly on it to the moon

dZ153rf.png
8z8y3TR.png
NxNAtKT.png
77xgS50.png

Of course we had to do these side things too because why not.

JC Lately

KUpSPrh.png

kKJVplm.png
Zo1PxiC.png
baaGtNb.png

YH7Wzwk.png
f3VUrtA.png

Whoa, what? How do you get back from that room without fighting the demon wall? And shouldn't yang be "dead" at this point?

Aeana

Whoa, what? How do you get back from that room without fighting the demon wall? And shouldn't yang be "dead" at this point?

No, because we hadn't been to the Tower of Babel yet. This is immediately after fighting Calcabrina and Rydia coming back. Once you appear back in the throne room, you can cast warp and go back to the crystal room and claim the crystal, which lets you later walk into the sealed cave and get the Kain scene immediately (thus bypassing having to go through the dungeon at all, or having to fight the demon wall).

This glitch only works on SNES/PSX.

jb1234

No, because we hadn't been to the Tower of Babel yet. This is immediately after fighting Calcabrina and Rydia coming back. Once you appear back in the throne room, you can cast warp and go back to the crystal room and claim the crystal, which lets you later walk into the sealed cave and get the Kain scene immediately (thus bypassing having to go through the dungeon at all, or having to fight the demon wall).

This glitch only works on SNES/PSX.

Is that an advantage, though? The game really uses the sealed cave to level up your characters. Would you have to grind to compensate for that?

Aeana

Is that an advantage, though? The game really uses the sealed cave to level up your characters. Would you have to grind to compensate for that?

There's no need to grind in the game ever. The critical path content is very easy, and the optional stuff that might have some teeth (i.e. Odin and Bahamut) have tricks to make them a lot easier.
One might feel compelled to grind at that point because Rosa wouldn't be level 35 and thus wouldn't know float for the sylvan cave/land of summons, but frankly at that point in the game you are so loaded that you can just buy a bunch of hi potions and overcome the damage floors in there that way, which is what I tend to do. I probably wouldn't have Rosa at 35 even if I went through the sealed cave with the way I play the game. The alternative would just be to put those off until later in the game when you're naturally level 35.

For the record, by the time I became even able to do sylvan cave/land of summons this time, my Rosa was level 29.

Ok, I'm starting up on FFIX on my phone, finally going to beat the damn thing. Really liking it so far, I forgot just how damned charming the game was.

My question is the following, how badly will it break the game to get abilities from items automatically? The encounter rate seems low, and the battles take forever, so I feel that I could save myself a ton of time by doing this. I don't want to be level 99, I don't want max gil, but the ability thing seems like a hell of time saver, and since you only get the skills from weapons and items you have, I don't imagine it would be overpowered.

What do you all think?

DeathPeak

Are there any impressions on the NES Mini "version" of Final Fantasy? I kind of want to hold out to play it on that. I got far into the PSX version a few years ago, but rather than pick it back up, I just want to start a new game.

The only FF games I haven't beaten are 1, 2, 5, and 12. I don't have much interest in the MMOs.

jae

Ok, I'm starting up on FFIX on my phone, finally going to beat the damn thing. Really liking it so far, I forgot just how damned charming the game was.

My question is the following, how badly will it break the game to get abilities from items automatically? The encounter rate seems low, and the battles take forever, so I feel that I could save myself a ton of time by doing this. I don't want to be level 99, I don't want max gil, but the ability thing seems like a hell of time saver, and since you only get the skills from weapons and items you have, I don't imagine it would be overpowered.

What do you all think?

I`m playing with that option on and it is a great time saver.

It will, however, give you all Blue Magic for Quina when they join. That gives you some pretty strong spells early in the game.

tonka

What do you all think?

I don't quite know how the cheat works with the abilities since you learn them permanently when you get all the AP (duh) I mean if it gives it to you mastered when you equip it for the first time. I mean ok, that means at certain points of the game you'll suddenly get a lot of new abilities instead of picking and choosing what to prioritise.

You will get all the abilities by the time you're level 50 normally (if you're being efficient by using ability up)
I would imagine if you're being real sloppy you will still get everything by 65 maybe, I dunno.

When I first finished the game I was like level 40 something, you don't need all the abilities.

Now I dunno if the mobile version is different, but you should probably be getting 2-3 encounters a screen, if you're not using a guide, you'll have plenty of abilities naturally by just not knowing where to go and wandering into a few more battles than someone who knows.

Getting to 99 in this game is a concerted effort, and is only "required" for the superboss really imo (and you don't have to do that, it's not worth it really)

RDreamer

You could always cheese it with the good 'ole "fill up all Yuna's aeons to their overdrives then unleash them one after another" strat on her third form lol

Just beat it. Didn't quite go that far, though I did get an overdrive or two in there this time. I basically kept an eye on when her turn was coming up and kept a zombie'd character in the backlog waiting. She used Mega Death one time and I had out three zombies so it didn't do anything at all.

Pachimari

Red mage is really good before the halfway point, with much better stat growth, but then it falls off a cliff at that point. Red mage can take hits better and conserve spells in random encounters better than the other mages.

Essentially, a red mage is a white+black mage together, with the ability to melee attack. Problem is that it can't learn the higher level white or black magic spells, and it will never be able to compete melee-wise with the pure damage dealers. So it just becomes a bit of a weakling jack of all trades in the end.
Yeah, I figured it would be a combination of white and black but a master of none. Makes sense. I'm gonna go with black and white mages in my party.

Ah crap, I had no idea there was an evil version of Yuna. First time I hear about this.

B.K.

Aeana is making me want to play Final Fantasy IV again. I haven't played it since the GBA release. I even imported a European copy of Final Fantasy IV Advance because it isn't supposed to be as broken as the Japanese and American releases.

Ultratech

I tried to play FFIV PSP some years ago after I got done with FFIII.

But I didn't get very far and tried to play The After Years instead.

That too, didn't last very long (I did like 2 Chapters?), and I gave up on it altogether.

Pretty sure I was burnt out on FF at that point.

(I need to start digging for my PSP Screenshots though.)

Andrew J.

There's no need to grind in the game ever. The critical path content is very easy, and the optional stuff that might have some teeth (i.e. Odin and Bahamut) have tricks to make them a lot easier.
One might feel compelled to grind at that point because Rosa wouldn't be level 35 and thus wouldn't know float for the sylvan cave/land of summons, but frankly at that point in the game you are so loaded that you can just buy a bunch of hi potions and overcome the damage floors in there that way, which is what I tend to do. I probably wouldn't have Rosa at 35 even if I went through the sealed cave with the way I play the game. The alternative would just be to put those off until later in the game when you're naturally level 35.

For the record, by the time I became even able to do sylvan cave/land of summons this time, my Rosa was level 29.

I recall hearing that the moon can be very difficult, but that might vary by version.

lawller

Neo Member
I started playing the PSX version of FFI today. I realized I have only ever played through the GBA version so I am curious to see how I will need to manage spells as I advance. I decided to go with a normal Fighter/Monk/White Mage/Black Mage party. I stopped playing just after I beat the pirates and got the ship. I need to grind for spells and equipment before I advance farther though. The random battles definitely seemed to have a large spike in difficulty after you cross the bridge to get to the next town. My black mage has died twice already since I was being a bit careless.

Aeana

I recall hearing that the moon can be very difficult, but that might vary by version.

There are some tough enemies on the moon, but like many other "difficult" things in FF games, there's usually a trick of some sort to help you through. The battles on the moon are actually what I use to get somewhat caught up after running from most fights in the game. The exp comes very quickly, especially in bahamut's cave and the final dungeon.

Speaking of, I just finished off the game.

Final party:

PhL6tj0.png

I didn't feel like doing anything extra at this point, so I went on, fully knowing that Rydia would not have enough HP to withstand a single big bang. She did get off one bahamut cast before she died, which was very helpful. I had Edge exhaust his weapon stock and then let him die, until I managed to get him up just before the end and he landed the final blow with a fuma shuriken. Fortunately, Rosa had just enough HP and magic defense to withstand almost every big bang.

I like beating FF4 this way because it's a bit of extra difficulty to work through. I do regret cutting it too early for Rydia, though, because the battle would've taken a bit less time if she got to cast at least one more time.

psypYr3.png

ZmHj4u6.png

------

FF5 is next, and I'm going to force myself to play the version with the new graphics, because it's the only version of FF5 I've yet to play. (._. ) I'll probably return to posting a lot of screenshots and commentary with that one, as I'm sure I'll have plenty to say.

gnexus

Went ahead and splurged on this Steam sale and bought FF3 through X/X-2 Remaster in order to join this playthough. I'll buy the Lightning trilogy on Steam when I get there :p

I think I'll start with FFX soon

kswiston

Family stuff and the holidays has slowed down my PSP playthrough of Final Fantasy Tactics. I also ended up spending way more time than planned outlining the first 6 jobs in the game.

Instead of waiting another day or two and releasing a super long installment of my playthrough, I'm going to release part 1 of my Job System overview as a standalone "intermission" part. I will return to my story playthrough later this week.

If you have zero interest in reading what I think about Final Fantasy Tactics' job system, feel free to skip this. Hopefully someone will find the info interesting/useful though!

nLKsaq9.png

A Brief Introduction to the Job System Pt1 – Mechanics and Basic Classes

I have briefly commented on the job system in part 1 of my playthrough, mainly focusing on the basics of learning and equipping skills. In this installment, I want to delve a bit deeper into the job system, and look at the basic classes/jobs you will be using in the beginning of the game.

Jobs in Final Fantasy Tactics affect all aspects of your characters, including: available active skills, most raw stats (HP, MP, Physical/Magical Attack, Speed, Move, Jump, and Evade %), and the pool of equipment that can be used.

When you switch jobs, you will notice that your character’s statistics are adjusted up or down depending on the stat and job. For Instance, switching from a squire to a black mage will drop your character’s HP, but raise their MP.

In addition to changing your base stats, different jobs offer different stat growths for five major stats (HP, MP, Physical/Magical Attack, and Speed) when gaining experience levels. All jobs will raise all five of these stats, but some will raise a particular stat quicker than others.

Now let’s take a look at the basic classes in Final Fantasy Tactics. In this section, I am defining basic classes as jobs that are either opened by default (Squire and Chemist), or are directly opened by hitting level 2 in one of those jobs (Knight, Archer, Black Mage, and White Mage). If you prefer, you can think of the Squire/Chemist as tier 1 jobs, while the other four are tier 2 jobs. There are also intermediate classes (tier 3 and 4) and advanced classes (that require more than one pre-requisite job), but I will cover these in later installments. Some special units will have a unique class that replaces their Squire job. I will touch on a few of these as they come up. Ramza is in fact a special unit, and his squire class can be thought of as a super squire (with more abilities and higher base stats/stat growth than normal squires).

Note 1: HP/MP/Atk/Speed attributes and stat growths for each class are rated on a rough 5-point scale. Two classes that have a 3 rating for a particular statistics (say HP) may have slight differences. Ratings are just to give you a rough idea of the Job’s strengths and weaknesses.

Note 2: Move refers to the horizontal distance a unit can traverse in a turn, while Jump is the maximum height barrier they can clear. For instance, if jump is 3, your unit can move from a 4h tile to a 7h tile, but not to a 8h tile. Evade modifies an enemy’s chance to hit when they attack your unit.

Note 3: It goes without saying that the comments for each class are my personal opinion!

Enough basics, here are the jobs!

Squire

3Sx1jx3.png

Code:
			HP	MP	P.Atk	M.Atk	Speed
Job Attributes		3	2	3	2	3
Stat Growth		3	2	2	1	1

Move: 4 tiles		Jump: 3 	Evade: 5%

Weapons: swords, axes, knives, flails
Protection: clothes, hats
Active Skill Set: Fundaments

I covered the useful squire skills in part 1 of this playthrough, so I won’t spend much time repeating myself here. In general, squires have several very useful skills that you should pick up at the start of the game. Specifically focus, JP Boost, Move+1, and maybe throw stone (which can come in handy if a near dead enemy is out of reach of melee attacks).

As you can see above, squires have fairly average attributes, with average to poor stat growths. As such, you shouldn’t let your characters spend too much time in this class early in the game (especially if you have the best skills). Ramza’s squire special class has better stats, so he is a bit of an exception.

Squires can use a wide variety of equipment, but lack the ability to use the armor or knight swords of full knights. Squires have good movement, but poor evade.

Chemist

PSxoRgh.png

Code:
			HP	MP	P.Atk	M.Atk	Speed
Job Attributes		2	2	2	2	3
Stat Growth		2	2	1	1	1

Move: 3 tiles		Jump: 3 	Evade: 5%

Weapons: knives, guns
Protection: clothes, hats
Active Skill Set: Items

Chemists have below average attributes and poor stat growths. Their utility comes from the fact that they are the gateway to consumable items.

NYPbHVl.png

If you want to use potions, phoenix downs, echo herbs, etc in Final Fantasy Tactics, you will have to learn them as a Chemist, via their items skill set.

UeHBMF9.png
eTdRMIN.png

In addition to learning how to use items, chemists have two additional skills to learn that can come in useful. Their reflexive skill is auto-potion. As the name suggests, when an enemy attack triggers this skill, your unit will automatically use a potion to heal themselves (without taking a turn to do so). I believe that they will use the weakest potion in your inventory (that they have the skill to use), so you will want to clear out the lower tier potions later in the game if you want to use this skill to its fullest effect.

Treasure hunter will occasionally find items as you move around battle maps. Your chances of finding something good depend on your bravery I believe. Low bravery = better stuff (presumably, cowards spend their time in battle hiding in the grass and mud). This skill is needed to unlock at least one side quest line. I may or may not get to that later.

Chemists are the only class that can throw items (3 or 4 spaces, I forget which). If you have the item active skill set equipped as your secondary skillset as a knight, you will only be able to heal units adjacent to you. They have a passive skill creatively called “throw item” that will allow other units to throw potions, but there are much better passive skills out there to equip.

Chemists have a poor selection of equipment, but are one of the few classes that can use guns when they become available in the middle portion of the game. Guns lack the ability to shoot over barriers like bows, but are powerful and have large ranges.

Overall, chemists have limited utility outside of learning how to use a few of the more useful items, and maybe auto potion. White Mages fill the same support role, and are superior in most aspects.

That covers the two starter classes. The tier 2 physical jobs, knight and archer, will open up once a unit reaches job level 2 of the squire class. Let’s take a look at each of those now:

Knight

INrJULG.png

Code:
			HP	MP	P.Atk	M.Atk	Speed
Job Attributes		4	2	4	2	3
Stat Growth		4	2	4	1	1

Move: 4 tiles		Jump: 3 	Evade: 10%

Weapons: swords, knight swords
Protection: armor, helms, robes, shields
Active Skill Set: Arts of War

Knights are the first physical tank units you will encounter in the game. Since they are able to equip armor and helms, they end up with high HP pools relative to their level, and shields aid in evading attacks.

3xhz9Aa.png

The knight’s active skill set focuses on the equipment (and skills) of the enemy. Knights can lower attack power, speed, or MP pool. They can also break equipment, effectively lowering an enemy’s maximum HP. These skills have their uses, but often miss on more powerful enemies. As such, I wouldn’t spend a ton of time mastering all of them (unless you are trying to unlock the Black Knight in the WotL version).

ONEC587.png
Uxn9mH5.png

If you are looking for a reflexive skill, the knight’s ability to parry can reduce the damage your character takes in the early sections of the game. The most useful knight skills for non-knights are the equip sword and equip armor skills. This allows you to address some of the weaknesses in more advanced physical units.

Knights have good HP and Physical Attack stat growth, and can make use of powerful knight swords later in the game. However, expect the knight to slowly become obsolete as you open more advanced jobs, and gain access to story characters from specialized knight classes.

Archer

Os9qpMr.png

Code:
			HP	MP	P.Atk	M.Atk	Speed
Job Attributes		3	2	4	2	3
Stat Growth		3	2	4	1	1

Move: 3 tiles		Jump: 3 	Evade: 10%

Weapons: bows, crossbows
Protection: clothes, hats, shields
Active Skill Set: Aim

Archers are ranged units (surprise surprise), whose attacks become more powerful the higher they are positioned.

Vcq9GTh.png

All of the archer’s active skills are basically the same thing. An archer can use aim to charge their attack, leading to higher attack power at the cost of a queue time. The higher the version of aim you cast, the more powerful your attack will be, and the longer you will wait to perform that attack.

mTzabHu.png
PJLw74c.png
viaPMM1.png

Archers have two reaction skills, the ability to dodge arrows, and a skill that boosts speed when attack. I find that both are fairly limited in their utility, but you could experiment with a tank unit that gets progressively faster in a battle.

The concentration skill raises a unit’s hit percentage to 100%. This is particularly useful against enemies with high evade. In addition to this, archers have a movement skill that increases their jump by 1. It’s mildly useful for getting to high elevations, but there are much better movement skills (including a Dragoon ability that lets you jump to any height. More on that down the road!).

Personally, I’m not a big fan of archers. They have decent HP and physical attack stats/growth, and having ranged attackers is useful. However, bows aren’t all that powerful, and they are limited to clothes and hats. As you get the special story characters in mid and late game, you will have better options for ranged attackers. Aim can be a useful secondary skill for any physical class though, since the shorter duration charge skills can offer a nearly free attack boost depending on the turn order of friendly and enemy units.

The tier 2 magical jobs, black mage and white mage, will open up once a unit reaches job level 2 of the chemist class. I have talked a bit about the black mage in previous parts of this playthrough, but let’s take a more detailed look at it and the white mage class:

Black Mage (Wizard in PS1 version)

QCdeykc.png

Code:
			HP	MP	P.Atk	M.Atk	Speed
Job Attributes		2	5	2	4	3
Stat Growth		2	5	2	1	1

Weapons: rods
Protection: clothes, hats, robes
Active Skill Set: Black Magic

Black Mages are elemental, AOE spellcasters. They are masters of the Fire/Ice/and Thunder branches of Final Fantasy magic.

b0ltdJO.png
69E6Dfo.png

As I pointed on in the previous part of this play through, many monsters are weak to one type of elemental magic. Goblins, for instance, take heavy damage from ice magic, making black magic a very useful skill to have.

In addition to their elemental magic, black mages have access to a few status effect spells (poison, frog, and death), as well as the non-elemental Flare spell.

SBt1sLc.png
hwnQI1W.png

Because they have such a large cost involved in mastering their active skills, black mages only have a couple other skills. Magick counter allows the mage to cast back whatever magic attack they are hit with. Arcane Strength boosts the damage of any spells cast. While I typically keep JP boost active for the first half of the game, Arcane Strength is a great choice for your mage’s passive skill later on.

Black Mages are useful for the entire game. Early on, before you start getting special units, black magic is extremely powerful, and is the only way to target multiple units at once. Black Mages have excellent MP stats/growth, and have high magic attack. As you might expect, their physical stats (including HP) leave something to be desired. One of my favourite hybrid classes in late game is a black mage with the Arithmetician’s active skill set. If your mage has dabbled in the other magic branches by that point, they become a magical super unit without the huge speed penalty of an Arithmetician (an advanced class, I will cover down the road).

White Mage (Priest in PS1 version)

PCUKuKb.png

Code:
			HP	MP	P.Atk	M.Atk	Speed
Job Attributes		2	5	3	3	4
Stat Growth		4	4	3	1	1

Weapons: staves
Protection: clothes, hats, robes
Active Skill Set: White Magic

Like every Final Fantasy game, the white mage is the healing profession in Final Fantasy Tactics.

XA1ScBn.png
Um5dqE8.png

Aside from recovering HP (cure, cura, etc), White mages can revive unconscious units (as long as their timers haven’t run out), boost physical and magical defenses (protect and shell), heal status effects (esuna), and bestow a HP regeneration buff. White mages also have a very powerful attack spell called holy. However, given the MP cost, you won’t be using this spell for awhile.

HBGZe4F.png
nyiwkR6.png

White mages have a reflexive skill that auto-casts regen when hit. They also have a passive skill that boosts magic defence (arcane defense). Auto-regen can be useful, but there are much better passive skills than arcane defense.

If you don’t have an actual white mage, you will probably want a unit with a secondary white magic skill set in every battle. As such, white magic training will be a must for at least one of your units. Luckily, white mages have pretty good stats. They have high HP and speed, and have pretty good attack stats for a magic class. While HP continues to be a weak point in the mage classes, white mages actually have great HP gains on levelling up.

That wraps up part 1 of my examination of the Job system. I will probably cover the intermediate jobs in a follow up segment after I finish Chapter 1 of the campaign. I think I have 4 maps left before then.

------------------------------------------- END INTERMISSION -----------------------------------------------

grimmiq

So I currently have

3 - PC
4 - PC
5 - PC
6 - PC
7 - PC/PS4/PS1 classic
8 - PC/PS1 Classic
9 - PS1 Classic (going to pick up PC version when I get closer to it)
10 - Vita, likely pick up PS4 before I get there
13 - Have XIII and -2 on PC but they run like shit, hoping they'll make a PS4 collection, otherwise I might just buy cheap PS360 versions.
14 - PC
Tactics War of the Lions - I think this is the PSP version? Have it on my Vita.
Type 0 - PS4

Look like US PSN is the best place to get FF Origins for 1 & 2. I loved FFXI, but tried playing again early last year and it just felt hollow, so I'll give that a miss, maybe watch the CoP story stuff on youtube. XII I'm waiting on the remaster.

I think I've played all of them at some point, and finished most, but never done them in order, so this should be interesting

Andyliini

Gold Member
Since I cannot play through the entire series now (will have to try and play the series on 35th anniversary), I decided to write a memoir of my experiences with the series main games.

Final Fantasy
I remember first seeing it when my cousin played it on an emulator. That was the NES version, I don't think there had been an English remake by that point. It felt interesting, and I decided tio play it myself. I reached the Tower-dungeon, but I don't think I could ever reach Tiamat. I later bought Final Fantasy Origins for PS1, when I could finally beat the game. On easy mode, though. The normal difficulty keeps kicking my ass.

Final Fantasy II
I don't remember seeing this much beforehand. I just tried it breafly with and emulator, but never didn't progress far from Altair. Finally started playing it properly with Origins-remake, and got more hands on with the character building system. I still refer to characters as they were named in this version, altough I think they were wrong, and were corrected in later releases. Thank God for Blood Swords -trick, though. I don't think I could have ever defeated Emperor without them.

Final Fantasy III
As with II, I mearly only tried the NES version on an emulator. I properly only played it later on DS, and throoughly enjoyed it, altough not being able to save in a dungeon lead to some frustration, as one of the bosses in the final dungeon killed me. I'm not sure if I ever bought the PSP-version, or Steam-port of this.

Final Fantasy IV
This one I decided to try simultaneously with my friend, when we were using emulators. M friend downloaded FFIV, I played FFII, so I actually played the eastytype-version of this. Here in Europe we got Final Fantasy Anthology package in early 2000's, which consisted of this and FFV. That's the first time I officially owned this game. I have not played the DS-remake, though.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Tried playing it on Wii, when it was first released in Europe, but stopped for some reason. I have since played it on PSP, where I could finally beat the sequel. It was good, but nothing ground breaking.

Final Fantasy V
This is one of those games my cousin first showed me. The english translation was already done at that point, so I, too could easily play it. I tried it with emulator, but never got far. I was able to finally beat it, but only once on PS1. I just can't seem to hit the spot anymore, and bosses are brutal in this game.

Final Fantasy VI
I don't think I really played this before purchasing the PS1-version from a local supermarket. It even had demo of Final Fantasy X, which I couldn't play due to not owning PS2 at that point. I have finished this game, though I have never done it without abusing Vanish/Doom -glitch. The game is my 2nd favorite in the series.

Final Fantasy VII
This is where it began for me. I saw my cousin play it from the beginning, and instantly fell in love with the setting. I later asked my dad to buy it for me, and played it endlessly. I simply felt the touching story, and great gameplay. This one is still my 3rd best entry in the series.

Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII
Have not played it all, and don't even know much about it.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
This one was more interesting, but I overdid the sidequests, so the rest of the game was very easy. Was a bit disappointing how the hub-area was very small.

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
I have it on PS2, and have played it through once. Don't remember much, neither of the story nor gameplay.

Final Fantasy VIII
This one was already out when I was able to beat FFVII. I had seen my cousin play this one, but not completely. I was totally lost with the junction system back then, and always wondered why I did not have any other commands that "Attack". It's a nice game, but that space-episode is too 2001-esque for me. Still, greatly memorable game.

Final Fantasy IX
Probably the first game I played without knowing much of it previously. As I played it, I fell in love with the art style, characters and especially music. I think this game was the first time I truly appreciated music in a video game. This one is is my favorite in the series.

Final Fantasy X
I had seen my friend play this beforehand, but I went in pretty much blind. I remember thinking the voice-acting was great, for I had not heard much of it beforehand in other games. The game was beautiful back then, and had an interesting story. Great game to this day.

Final Fantasy X-2
This one, I don't have many memories, altough I have played through it twice. Never achieved 100% on this, it's a bit difficult to do when you don't know what to do and when. OK game.

Final Fantasy XI Online
Tried it once on Xbox 360. Didn't like it, too slow and cumbersome. Did not play again, though I do have it on Steam.

Final Fantasy XII
I knew this was tied to Final Fantasy Tactics -series, which I never really liked, but decided to give it a go nevertheless. The game is fine for the most part. It was just a bit too easy, and the final boss had that one cheap move which rendered him invisible for a certain period of time. Might have to try it again, when the remasted is released next year.

Final Fantasy XIII
I had heard much ill on this game (some even called the game Xbot, lol). I played it forst on PS3 and got stuck. I later found the Limited Edition cheap for Xbox 360, and gave it a go. This time I liked it more, and finished it, and all of it' superbosses, too. Nice game, altough I wouldn't do all that grinding again.

Final Fantasy XIII-2
I found this one's Collector's Edition before I even had the change to play part 1. This one was not as grindy, but still gave me a good amount of gameplay. Some mind-tricks playing parts in here, but mostly cool turn-based JRPG-gameplay. Recruiting monsters was a cool touch.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
I have only tried if breafly, before moving on to more interesting stuff. Didn't really understand the combat mechanics, or the fact that you get some missions right at the beginning, where you have to defeat some powerful beast. Will have to return one day.

Final Fantasy XIV Online
I do own it on Steam, but have not played it. Not really feeling to fork over more cash for a game I have already done so, especially as it's amonthly pay. Will have to look into it more one day.

Final Fantasy XV
Beat it just before christmas. Liked the beginning, but the game took a nose-dive after the world map ended. Not nearly as good as the series was in the 90's.

RDreamer

Looking at the weapon quests in FFX and just thinking to myself, "Fuck that."

Will probably end up just grabbing Anima and Magus Sisters and calling it a day with side quests and FFX in general.

rhandino

Banned
Welp, decided to join to the party and finally got around to start replaying the whole Final Fantasy XIII saga! yay!

I am already in the chapter in which the l'Cie enter the Palamecia to rescue
Sazh and Vanille
and oh god how pretty this game is even after all these years T_T

I think for the most part the game is holding up really well with some of the enviroments being among the best in the franchise (Sunleth Waterscape, Lake Bresha, Nautilus) and since the game is so linear they managed to create a challenging experience (The fight against the giant ship outside Hope's home is still incredible)

ALSO DAT MUSIC IS EVERYTHING I EVER NEEED IN MAH FF GAMES!!! das;ldkjas;ldka;sd

Me everytime Saber's Edge start playing:

8i2Uzs5.gif

wtd2009

With that said, here is the best reason to play the PSX (or SNES) version of FF4

Sealed cave is a pain in the ass, like the magic-only cave, except no decent loot in it if I recall correctly.

Ultratech

Looking at the weapon quests in FFX and just thinking to myself, "Fuck that."

Will probably end up just grabbing Anima and Magus Sisters and calling it a day with side quests and FFX in general.

Yeah, the Ultimate Weapon quests in X are...mostly awful.

Some of them aren't too bad to complete (like Rikku, Yuna, and Auron's), while some of the others can be hell to get.

Chocobo Racing can go burn in a fire.

RDreamer

Some of them aren't too bad to complete (like Rikku, Yuna, and Auron's), while some of the others can be hell to get.

Yeah I might do Yuna, Kimhari, and Auron's. If Rikku's isn't that bad as you say, I might do that too. Not sure. I'm really antsy to start World of Final Fantasy or play X-2, though.

Lulu's is the only one I've never completed to this day at least once. That being said, I totally agree with your spoiler, never again. Spent hours trying before I finally did it.

BumRush

Got my fiance to start playing FFIX on her surface pro. I was surprised how good the game looked with (what I assume are) updated models. The backgrounds are a bit blurry, but still don't look too bad considering how much it's blown up.

She just arrived at Dali and I think she's liking it so far.

We're also both still waiting on our Gamecube memory card to arrive before we can play Crystal Chronicles again together.

The cutscenese look so much better in the PC release too.

Yousefb

My plan is to get one classic style FF game and one of the newer.

In terms of classic I'm set on FFIX pretty much. Would have loved to get FFVI but im not a fan of the sprites of the steam version.

Now as for the newer title I need your help! FFXV was surprisingly great and I did not expect to like it. So I wanna check out some of the newer FF titles that I skipped over.

With that said.. FF Type-0 HD or FFXIII?

BumRush

With that said.. FF Type-0 HD or FFXIII?

Type-0 isn't a very good game, in my opinion.

FFXIII is a good looking game with a great battle system that is marred by some insanely terrible characters and a shit script.

I'd try XIII first, because if you like it there are other games in the series as well. Just anticipate flaws.

rahji

I am playing FFXIII - Lightning Returns now. The game had to teach me the hard way how the combat system functions. The game threw the Snow boss at me and he whopped my ass on the floor like no enemy before. I lost to him 3 or 4 times until I realized that I had to change my strategy and actually block his attacks. The combat system is quite unique in this FF and I think it clicked with me right now. But with all the time pressure it just feels a bit like work.

Top Bottom