• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In China, Video of Deadly Accident Reignites Debate Over Lack of Trust

DoomGyver

I'm sorry but each and every person who crossed that street during that time regardless if it was a pedestrian or a vehicle should be put in jail for a few days with that fucking video on repeat.

Abounder

Banned
From the country infamous for its one-child policy (unless it's a girl), yikes. And their culture's only going to get worse with their skewed sex ratio, corruption at its core, etc.

Goddamn awful

hirokazu

Failure to help someone who had an accident is not a minor offense in my country. And we are talking about a grave accident where a person DIED because people didn't give a fuck about helping her. These people would get convicted of manslaughter through failure to help and get a fat fine, a criminal record, and a jail sentence of up to one year.
What? Which country is this? I haven’t heard of a law where bystanders are obligated to help in a traffic accident. The police already said they’d taken several calls about the accident. Does that count as assistance?

With this video evidence, yes they would. In the USA this is manslaughter at least.
That would be surprising to me. What is the wording of this law?

Patrick S.

Banned
What? Which country is this? I haven’t heard of a law where bystanders are obligated to help in a traffic accident. The police already said they’d taken several calls about the accident. Does that count as assistance?

That would be surprising to me. What is the wording of this law?

I'll turn this around, what country do YOU live in, where it's not mandated by law that you have to give help to others when they have been in an accident? It IS manslaughter through failure to help, and I could look up the relevant paragraph for that. I'm talking about Germany here, and I lived in Spain before, where it's exactly the same.

Tuck

Wow, what a truly horrible situation.

It seems that culture itself has failed in this case. You can't blame the individual passerby, given the fraud cases posted here: it seems each individual person is acting in their best interests. Therefore it is society itself that is at fault.

How do you even begin to fix something like that?

Change the law, for one. If you have people being sued for helping, obviously people are going to stop helping.

Top Bottom