• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In just less than 2 days of preorder, Super Mario 3D All-Star already becomes the 3rd best selling software on amazon.com 2020 total sales chart

Dr Kaneda

Same thing was said about this. How did that turn out?
gjruZG1.jpg
Nintendo drip fed about 2.5million units of this during it's 5 months life span. The initial run sold out on release day.

If 3D All Stars has sold more than TLoU2 then that means it's already sold either very close to the NES classics life time sales, or maybe even exceeded it. And that's from one retailer in one global market, when you factor in all the other retailers from around the world it probably has already exceeded it. And it's still in stock, unlike the NES which as I said sold out in 1 day. And this has a digital version which means unlike the NES classic you have other official means of accessing literally the exact same experience.

The comparison isn't remotely the same. I'd be very surprised if 3D All Stars appreciated in price in the next few years, let alone this year.

Nintendo also released a limited edition version of Super Mario All-Stars for the Wii in 2010. I remember rushing out to buy that as I thought it would increase it value. It only sold something 2million copies but still never increased in value ever. And then 6 years later Nintendo released it albeit in a less "premium" package.

It's very important to note that the game isn't available in limited quantities, it's just available for a limited time. That's a big distinction. Nintendo are limiting the time this is available so they can sell a shit tonne at the full $60, instead of leaving it on sale forever and having potential buyers say "eh, I'll pick it up later when it's on drops in price".

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The Nintendo owner who only plays on Nintendo is a rare animal. Every Switch owner I know also at the very least has a PlayStation, Xbox, or PC. It's been this way for generations.

The reason this game is selling well is because it's a compilation of games headlined by the most popular game character of all time.
Yep - I’m Switch and PC. The reason is that each offers something I can’t get elsewhere. It’s a mix that works perfectly for me - for instance right now I’m on holiday with the wife and I can whip the Switch out during downtime. That’s harder with the laptop and impossible with a PS/XBOX.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Nintendo owner who only plays on Nintendo is a rare animal. Every Switch owner I know also at the very least has a PlayStation, Xbox, or PC. It's been this way for generations.

The reason this game is selling well is because it's a compilation of games headlined by the most popular game character of all time.
That’s me. I only have a Switch and 3DS and classic mini NES. I don’t have time money to buy multiple systems though when the ps5 comes out I will wait a while and get the PS4 and reduced games either that or pick up a 360 again

Eevee86

Yuuup. Nintendo usually takes up most of my game time, but I've owned every system thats released since I could hold a job.

Last edited:

Fbh

Good for them I guess.
Let's be honest, every other dev publisher would to the same if they had such a big audience willing to throw money and basically everything your release.

I bought one to play and one for collection, neither from Amazon. The sales for this game will be incredible. I don’t mind getting ports of incredible games. If Konami, SE, and Capcom want to port MGS HD, Turtles NES & SNES, SoTN & GBA Castlevanias, Kingdom Hearts, Xenogears, Ogre Battle, Viewtiful Joe, and Killer 7, then I will gladly empty my wallet.

Keihart

Artificial scarcity? As far I can see no shops have sold out of pre-orders and by the time the run comes to end there will be millions of these things in the world. I don't know about you, but I can't think of any product where 5 million (a conservative estimate) copies of it exist and it's hard to find or sold at a massive mark up. Maybe in 5 years or 10 years, but by then there will be another alternative for playing these on a completely different piece of hardware.
Didn't you watch the reveal trailer where it was explicitly stated that it was a limited run physical and digital wise? The fact that there are a bunch of actual physical prints to sell just goes to show how much of a fabricated "scarcity" it is.

I think the only thing limited about the release is that it’s a collection of all three games at one price, they might separate them and charge more per. Or they’re doing this as a trial to determine demand for other games of which of they give us Super Mario RPG, I will be fucking ecstatic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is definitely one I plan to get digitally.

I really hope the Mario Galaxy controls work well without needing that waggle nonsense.

I pre-ordered 3D All-Stars when it went up. Nintendo likes doing limited releases. They don't give you much time to think about whether or not you want to buy their games. I already had a hard time getting games like Super Mario All-Stars for Wii, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and their mini consoles.

Silvawuff

Why does Nintendo games selling well seem to infuriate so many people?

I don't think it's the "selling games" part, it's the "low effort" part with what the ports look like. Nintendo has a Library of Alexandria of titles they could polish or remaster for an entirely new generation, and when they finally open the chocolate factory gates, it's like "this is the best they could do?"

For some transparency I did preorder this and look forward to replaying Mario 64/Sunshine and seeing Galaxy for the first time.

spookyfish

Limited availability!!! Artificial scarcity!!! Preorders have all SOLD OUT!!!

Oh wait—they *haven’t* sold out??

Huh.

Here’s the dill, pickle: If there are still preorders available everywhere, then who cares what “scalpers” are doing?

The NES Classic and Super NES Classic preorders were all sold out within hours. It took me months to find those.

The trick is gonna be that Game and Watch. Scalpers will be all over that.

StormCell

That's true, the same reason why Nintendo has three 1st party software sell above 20M and three more are going to reach that milestone too.

On the other hand, GTAV, COD, and FIFA are the top seller for PS4 and XBO.

Speaking of GTA, I'd be happy if they just ported over some GTA2 and GTA3 to Switch. Don't really care for San Andreas or IV, but give us some GTA already!

belmarduk

I hate that Nintendo seems to be resting on its laurels these days but I'm not going to lie... I could play Galaxy again!

StormCell

I hate that Nintendo seems to be resting on its laurels these days but I'm not going to lie... I could play Galaxy again!

I don't think they're resting on their laurels at all. BotW2 is just around the corner. We would have had 3D World + this year too if COVID hadn't nearly halted their development pipeline. It sucks, but that's a cultural fact for Japan (can't go to office == can't work much).

DESTROYA

MUsqenD.gif

Dont really get the hate , many Switch owners are first time Nintendo console owners so why not give them a chance to play these classics?
The Switch is my first Nintendo ” home “ console so I welcome the opportunity to play these games, hell bring on more Nintendo classic collections . Wouldn’t mind seeing a Metroid trilogy collection that I would guess would also sell like crazy.

Fake

Is putting a limited time for digital version helps?
Should Microsoft and Sony do the same?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Well, this game is limited in physical version or i can wait for drop the sales.

BTW I never play mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It's limited digitally too, and will be delisted in March. You have 5 months to get it if you want it.

Galaxy is a masterpiece for sure. Sunshine will be a bit more controversial, but I loved it. Some people have complaints about it.
Thank you

Where can i pre-order ?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Read the politics board. There are actually many more leftists here (or at least center-left people) than there are right wingers.
I was mostly having a little joke about gaf’s reputation as the right tend to be quite keen on capitalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom