• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Praise of X3: Terran Conflict

It was fine with the last patch before the free expansion came out, and it's gotten better lately as some of the German scripts made it to beta state and got translations. You still have a few must-have mods but they are easily integrated and the base game plays really well, IMO.

I never played X2/X3, but I spent a good two months and change with X3:TC and loved every minute of it. It's NOT a game for everyone but man I'm glad someone out there is making games like this for the people it is intended for like myself.

platypotamus said:
God DAMN it Frag.

This post still stands, despite the fact that I still haven't bought this (I still intend to, but other digital distribution sales keep happening before I get around to it)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sigh. SIIIIGHHHHHH. I'm just gonna get both of them. Not right now though. Ill get X3 now. Actually, it has already been gotten and downloading through Steam. Ill get EU3 later, maybe next week. Although that's probably not a good idea. Damnit the screenshots are already ripping the sleep from my EEEEYYYEEEESSS.

Zhuk

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
It's been safe since the game was released.

I thought it would be as well, but I found it to be buggy when I purchased it and I decided to wait it out. Seems the consensus now is that it is pretty stable so I will definitely give it a go on the weekend.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well Im playing it now. Don't really know what the hell I'm doing lol. Talked to one guy who taught me how to fly a little bit and then.... that's it. Trial by fire. Now im following some guy who's ship is twice as fast as mine to kill some people I never even met :eek:

Darklord

Banned
I tried so much to like this. It sounded like the perfect game for me but I just can't get into a game that requires days worth of tutorials, help videos, web searching and asking in forums just to start off. If they made the game more streamlined, or had some really good in-game tutorials I'd have probably kept playing but after a week of playing, 50% of that minimized searching the official forums to find out what the hell to do, that's not fun.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Talk about letting you go on your own :lol. I have a terrible ship in the middle of space with absolutely no direction taking missions that I have no business even messing with. I got one courier mission, I'm thinking thank god something I can do to get some damn money. I have my ship going full blast and the mission fails before I even ge there because I took too long. Game already hates me.

I picked this game up from Steam on the weekend... So far, I've completed about 3 hours, mostly SETA, playing as the "Terran Defender". My intial thoughts:

- It's a beautifiul game: The different fighter ships, bases, platforms, frigates are all carefully textured and intricately detailed. This does - as the reviews warn - come at great expense; I've had to turn my AA down to 2x to get 30fps. A high cost, imo, for a game that's about flying around in space.
- It's a damn hard game: The learning curve is incredibly steep. I know this is something that every review and forum thread discusses, but man, I was totally unprepared for the jump in difficulty that hits in the 2nd mission. I went from baggin Xenons with full wing support in friendly space, to being attacked by 3 pirates and 4 Xenons in enemy space. Hard, brutal and unforgiving.

So that's where I'm at. I'm eager to progress into the story, but I'm pretty chuffed that I'm getting slaughtered repeatedly (this is made worse by the Spartan save system). Any pointers?

bonesmccoy said:
So that's where I'm at. I'm eager to progress into the story, but I'm pretty chuffed that I'm getting slaughtered repeatedly (this is made worse by the Spartan save system). Any pointers?

Get an M3/better weapons? I always start off trading stuff or capping a "free" ship to start out with if I can.

BTW Egosoft is working on a 2.5 patch now and has plans to release some sort of X Series Ultranerd edition later this year. I'll probably buy it just to see what I missed since X3:TC was my first X game, and I am still playing from time to time six months later.

dalin80

Banned
bonesmccoy said:

keep playing and pick your fights carefully, the game is only hard if you let it be.

buy a docking computer from the paranid and give it a hotkey, will become a life and time saver.

the egosoft forums have to be one of the best in the world for advice and tips.

there are guides on everything and a active userbase of folk (like me) who have put probably more time then is healthy into the game.

http://forum.egosoft.com/index.php

everything you will ever need to know

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=162408

now if you dont mind ive got xenon sector 347 to clear out. ;-)

Munin

The one thing that really amazes me about this series is how this developer of a niche, hardcore space sim (or rather spreadsheets in space?) has been able to stay alive over the years, weathering through any recession and studio closings that occured in Germany - all while completely ignoring review complaints and comments from the mainstream and just catering to their tiny hardcore audience.

I really wonder how they do that.

dalin80

Banned
by catering to a hardcore audience.

although they did irritate a few with TC considering its 99% the old x3 game with the free xtm mod built in.

a 'new' game with probably tiny development costs considering the vast amount of the new features were made by a mod team.

Munin said:
The one thing that really amazes me about this series is how this developer of a niche, hardcore space sim (or rather spreadsheets in space?) has been able to stay alive over the years, weathering through any recession and studio closings that occured in Germany - all while completely ignoring review complaints and comments from the mainstream and just catering to their tiny hardcore audience.

I really wonder how they do that.

Most of the review complaints are from reviewers that won't take the effort to learn a complex game, and appealing to the mainstream just makes the cost of your game go up while driving off your core audience for which you can rely on sales. Sure, the UI could be a bit better and some features here and there might be welcome but every new release does have a lot of new content to play through, and honestly for X fans you don't need a whole lot to convince you to start a new game-nothing like that new M5 smell!

There's all sorts of PC micro-communities like the one Egosoft has built. Small companies with laser focus creating games for woefully underserved gamers can be very good business-look at Stardock, Paradox, Battlefront, and Matrix for good examples.

X3 Terran Conflict is everything I'm seeking for a long time. A real, visualy stunning and incredibly deep space opera.

But when I tried the game, it took me an hour to understand how to repair my ship. It took me 10 hours to understand trade and still, missions are a pain because of the interface. I'm always seeking for some awnsers in the (giant) manual but not always succesfuly.

Even with all the trouble on earth I could get through while playing this game, I love it. Because the visual and the design that the game provides are just beyond any of my space-lover wildest dream. Any travel through any system becomes an epic balad thanks to the ambient music.

I feel like buying the Gold Edition just for the music.

This game is amazing and I enjoy it just buy wandering through space. I wish I could have more time/patience to dig the gameplay, the trade and the fighting a bit more...

Thanks for the tips, dudes. I suppose I should try and build up my decent shields/weapons before taking on the plot missions then? I've been scanning the official egosoft forums and have picked up lots of good information, and yet it feels like I'm hardly scratching the surface.

------------

I can't believe I missed every X incarnation until this one. I <3'd the first Privateer and played it to bits and pieces as a youf. X3 is the first game that actually feels like it was trying to recapture that truly open-ended space game that the original Privateer tried so hard to be.

On a side note, the heirs to the Privateer/Elite crown - games like Freelancer - were good, but they pushed you into the story, rather than letting you pick up the plotline whenever you felt like it. Thank goodness X3 doesn't seem to do that.

And +++ on the music. Only ze Germans could come up with a soundtrack worthy of a PC space opera (I swear that there's a Kruder & Dorfmeister influence there).

Munin

Fragamemnon said:
Most of the review complaints are from reviewers that won't take the effort to learn a complex game, and appealing to the mainstream just makes the cost of your game go up while driving off your core audience for which you can rely on sales. Sure, the UI could be a bit better and some features here and there might be welcome but every new release does have a lot of new content to play through, and honestly for X fans you don't need a whole lot to convince you to start a new game-nothing like that new M5 smell!

There's all sorts of PC micro-communities like the one Egosoft has built. Small companies with laser focus creating games for woefully underserved gamers can be very good business-look at Stardock, Paradox, Battlefront, and Matrix for good examples.

The thing is, at least those companies have different games to rely on. Egosoft just has one. I simply find that goes a bit further than the usual hardcore niche developer.

Munin said:
The thing is, at least those companies have different games to rely on. Egosoft just has one. I simply find that goes a bit further than the usual hardcore niche developer.

Perhaps, but not by much. They are sort of at where Paradox was when they were doing EU1/2 , Stardock was just doing GC1/2 , Battlefront was doing CM2/3 , etc. Serving a very hardcore (and not as small as you might think) base that loved them because they were making the sort of game that no one else was making.

Gattsu25

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
Well, that was the first irtation of X3. This is about TC, I'm sure quite a few things have changed.
Did they introduce rudimentary collision detection or basic velocity into their physics model?

Low overhead? Sound fiscal management? The benefits of direct download services? In some ways, the ubiquity of home PC's makes it much easier for a well-run, small developer to carve out a profitable niche market, as opposed to the console equivalent.

And it doesn't hurt Egosoft that there is a complete and utter derth of competitors at the moment either.

Took the advice about picking and choosing fights, and finally finished Mission 2.

My tactics:

After jumping into the new sector (the one with two pirate bases), I went to the 2nd base, rather than follow the pirate's ship to the 1st base (where the Xenons spawn). At the 2nd base, I docked, saved, and SETA'd until the little cutscene of the transport jumping out turned on.

So then the enemy fighters pop up. Usually I would be right in the thick of it, shooting hard and dying fast. But since I was about 35 km away, the Pirates themselves took down one Xenon, while the other 2 Xenons flew toward me. Once those Xenons arrived at my location, they were set upon by some local merchant ships, distracted, and left open for the kill. Easy peasy.

But that still left the 3 pirate ships. In previous attempts, I had tried to take these guys on too. I figured that I was about 200 km/s faster, so it would be a cakewalk. Not so: those pirates are accurate and their weapons powerful. Thus on this occasion, I used my huge advantage in speed, simply buzzed by them (well, gave them about a 6 km buffer zone), and arrived at the base with a solid 18 km between me and those nasty scourges.

Completed the scan of the base in about 30 seconds, SETA'd to the jumpgate, and finished Mission 2. Phew!!!

So this is the weekend deal on Steam and I'm going to pick it up. Couple questions as I make the plunge:

1. From this thread, it sounds like I just want Terran Conflict, rather than the pack with Reunion?

2. You mention must-have mods a few times, but I don't see a list of which ones you particularly recommend. So... what do you recommend?

3. Any general pointers for how to start out in the game? I know it's got a bit of a learning curve, and I'm cool with that, but if there's a very easy mistake to make that you could steer me away from, that'd be sweet.

1) Definitely go for Terran Conflict.
2) Afaik, TC has the best mod built into it already.
R
3) Play conservatively (this isn't a shooter), learn the trade/upgrading basics, save often, use SETA whenever possible, and when in a fight, do whatever you can to maximize your odds. For example, if you're facing a bunch of Xenon and an another enemy faction, chances are those two will fight each other as well as come after you. So drop back, let npc ships whittle down each other, then go in for the kill. This kind of strategy will help immeasurably in the first few stages of the game. It's good advice that was given to me, some of it even on gaf.

For some reason I assumed they were the same exact game (as in, TC being an expansion AKA more missions/units) so I made the mistake (?) of getting the pack. After hearing all of TC's praise and nothing on Reunion I guess I'll skip out on Reunion since TC seems to be a tad bit more user friendly from what I hear (interface streamlines etc. I guess). Oh well, no refunds, and maybe Ruinion will have something to offer.

Time to check it out TC.

Edit: Just played for 10 mins. I had NO idea that I was going to actually be piloting a ship, I assumed it was going to be "god view" like Homeworld but a much more complex interface/options. Is a joystick good with this game? I have one, but it seems like a mouse will be best as far as quickly navigating menu's and such...

Anyway, how the hell do I shoot that container?? It said press CTRL but it won't do anything. I opened up my weapons menu (G) and it says I have no missiles, and it doesn't seem like I have any lasers either.

platypotamus said:
So this is the weekend deal on Steam and I'm going to pick it up. Couple questions as I make the plunge:

1. From this thread, it sounds like I just want Terran Conflict, rather than the pack with Reunion?

X3:TC is pretty huge. If you really want more X-series after playing TC then it's not like it is expensive. That being said, the games are monstrous in length and I don't think craving for more when you are "done" with TC (if that is even possible) is going to be a problem. Just get TC.

2. You mention must-have mods a few times, but I don't see a list of which ones you particularly recommend. So... what do you recommend?

Sure:

Essentials:

Missile Defense Mosquito (MDM) by Lucike
CODEA Weapon System by Lucike ; Carrier management system
Player Workshops
Prospector (PSC) by Lucike
Commercial Agent (CAG)
Commodity Logistics Software (CLS)
Economy and Supply Trader (EST)
Universal Best Buys/Sells Locator
MARS Fire Control (MARS)

That's a start. My general approach to modding is to identify something tedious and obnoxious (carrier TF management, finding the cheapest price of goods, etc. ) and then finding a script to make it less tedious. Usually worked out well, though there were a few times I had to play scripts in ze germanz.

3. Any general pointers for how to start out in the game? I know it's got a bit of a learning curve, and I'm cool with that, but if there's a very easy mistake to make that you could steer me away from, that'd be sweet.

Humble trader start, and start trading in ores and energy. Upgrade current ship, then upgrade to a better freighter with more space. After a while you'll have enough credits to start building a merchant fleet, keep them away from low-sec sectors, and the whole thing will ramp up exponentially. Start getting factories, etc. etc., more and more money.

For the hell of it restarted to see if I missed something in regards to firing my ship's weapon. As far as I can tell, I'm pressing the right buttons. It clearly says to fire press CTRL on the keyboard or RIGHT CLICK on the mouse. Do I need to go into some sort of "combat mode" or something for this to work? The tutorial sucks some ass if it can't clearly tell me how to do something as simple as fire my damn weapon. That, or I'm retarded (definitely possible).

It's not like I'm expecting to go on a Freespace 2 dogfight frenzy and turn this game into an action game, but I think I should be able to easily complete a task as simple as firing my weapon, especially when the game tells me what buttons to press and the buttons don't work... am I doing something wrong?

Damn this thread reminds me that somebody needs to get off his fucking ass and remake Star Control 2 in big-budget glorious 3D.

Almak

X3:Reunion is one of the more prominent games in my pile of shame. Every time I attempt to play it I'm reminded of just how much is expected of the player. Its like reading The Master and Margarita, its not the kind of thing you can do in short bursts before going to sleep, if you want to understand it you have to commit and I guess I just cant find the time now. I am happy that companies like Egosoft still exist though, especially now in these trying times.

So at this point, I'm kind of playing the game as I would play privateer, though I seem to be able to generate cash more quickly than I'm used to. I still am falling for my constant gaming mistake of not keeping any credits saved at all, and buying upgrades that break the bank. I expanded my cargo hold and left myself with barely 270 credits. A couple solar plant -> some other place energy sales runs later though, and I'm back up around 1500. Really want to buy one of those upgrades that helps me find the best sales deals, but trying not to go broke in the process.

Took a mission and fought off some pirates successfully, but then died to other pirates before saving. So far I can't take most of the missions, because they seem too hard, or require way more starting capital than I've got at the moment (or more cargo space).

Still, nice to have my joystick plugged in again.

i bought this game and its absolutely beautiful. But it has a learning curve, I wasn't able to gracefully enter into the game. After a few hours of jacking around I gave up considering I buy WAY to many games and just went to another one.

Yeah, I'm definitely spending a lot of time reloading. The "custom game" option (didn't understand the "humble trader" part of Frag's advice at the time, and now that I know what it means, might start over) starts you off with pretty much nothing. I shouldn't even bother with combat missions, as my guns suck, my shields suck, and my ship is slower than anything I fight, but I can't help myself... hence all the reloading. Well, that and accepting missions that my ship isn't capable of completing, but I don't have the money to upgrade... How was I supposed to know I needed life support, or that the 40 units of whatever wouldn't fit in my 50 units of cargo space?

Still having the most luck picking up Energy Cells from Solar Plants and running them to the next sector over, but then sometimes I get there and some other jerk has cleaned out the Solar Plants, and I sort of wander aimlessly until they refill, being unable to find adequate profit capabilities. The ship's trade upgrades are too expensive.

Oh yeah, a question. I keep seeing missions that ask me to bring a ship back to the station in question... sometimes abandoned, sometimes seemingly I'll have to fight someone and take the ship from them. In either case, I've been reluctant to accept, because I don't see how I'll get both my ship AND that ship back. Is this a possibility, or will I end up abandoning my own ship and being screwed?

Hate to do a double post, but figure it's been like a week since my last post, so a little bump to talk about my adventures isn't too much of an etiquette breach. If the thread dies with no more replies though, I'll let it go....

At this point I've got two ships:

My semi-pimped mercury transport that I started with
A Octopus Sentinel that is completely pimped.

The Mercury is flying under AI control. It occasionally lands at a base and tells me that it's completed it's orders and awaits new ones. I then tell it to go do a trade, and it increases the size of my bank account (could afford a third ship right now, but am thinking I'll save up for the trade software MK III update for the mercury, to see what it'll do for me).

Meanwhile, with my decked out Octopus, I've been flying around accepting non-trade related missions. Mostly combat missions. I learned on a "very hard" one that my 350 m/s speed, which I thought was godly, isn't. I was fighting ships that could reach speeds of 480 or so. I took down a couple, and the guys I were escorting hit their destination, without me (or them) blowing up, so that was nice.

I've also captured a pirate fighter (he ejected, so rather than blow it up, I stole it). It made the mission that was going to only pay about 2 grand net me a profit of about 80k after selling his ship. Was tempted to keep it, and make it a wingman to take with me on missions, but was low on money, and it was a crappy ship.

Really digging the game, especially now that I've adjusted a bit and feel comfortable in what I'm doing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok so I finally got a chance to play this game and so far it is faaaaaaaaaar too slow paced for me. I was looking for something slower paced too! (Compared to what I usually do).

I started the Terran flight missions (Ok, follow, shoot, follow, travel, travel, travel 30km to a ship that dies, fly back 40km to other ship, fly another 15km to gate I passed to get to the ship, warp back, set to auto pilot and linger around for like 5 minutes tabbing through menus and I quit.

Am I doing it wrong?

dionysus

Yaldog
Bastard, you just sold me on yet another game. I'll finish my most recent game of SotS and pick up this.

I don't have enough time in my life to play all these strategy/simulation games.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hazaro said:
Ok so I finally got a chance to play this game and so far it is faaaaaaaaaar too slow paced for me. I was looking for something slower paced too! (Compared to what I usually do).

I started the Terran flight missions (Ok, follow, shoot, follow, travel, travel, travel 30km to a ship that dies, fly back 40km to other ship, fly another 15km to gate I passed to get to the ship, warp back, set to auto pilot and linger around for like 5 minutes tabbing through menus and I quit.

Am I doing it wrong?

Yep. Ignore the tutorial. It's useless. Go to a a few stations and look for some Very Easy or Easy missions, preferably missions involving killing pirates.

If you have a cargo trade ship (if not buy one ASAP), buy the trading upgrades, like best buy etc, and start some trading runs of buying cheap (energy cells ftw) and selling high.

Scout out a few trade routes, routes you can run to to buy and sell on a regular basis for good profit.

Save money and buy a larger ship with more upgrades. Your trading and pirate hunts should raise your rank with the race in the sector you started in, this in turn will open up more missions, more ships to purchase, better upgrades.

You can later set up ships to make trade runs for you while you do missions or you can start a business empire by building stations.

If you need specific help, try looking up some quick start guides that lay down specific runs for trading that will help you out. There's a wealth of options available, and you can always go back to the tutorial/story when you've got better upgrades/ships.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh ok, so I can just get mission from people that is nice. :lol

Also I tried docking with one of the... dock things. I needed to be 2.6km away and it kept flying me around retarded. I looked for the green lights but honestly it was flying me away and up for 3 minutes. Am I supposed to go into the green circular gates to dock?

Hazaro said:

Also I tried docking with one of the... dock things. I needed to be 2.6km away and it kept flying me around retarded. I looked for the green lights but honestly it was flying me away and up for 3 minutes. Am I supposed to go into the green circular gates to dock?
just speed up the time while it autodocks

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Joseph Merrick said:
just speed up the time while it autodocks

This is best, just click the station and choose autodock and speed up time, in your options you can increase the time from x6 to x10, this will make even the longer distances more bearable.

Also, if you are just exploring (it's a big galaxy out there) you can spend a few hours just mapping the galaxy. Choose a scout ship (stupid fast and has no cargo hold or weapons), get a dubplex or triplex scanner (best range) and have fun!

If you see any items on your map (when you pass a gate check the galaxy map and look at all the stations in the area, sometimes you'll see cargo or ship parts just floating around without an owner, especially after pirate raids). Simple open your cargo bay and fly through the item and your ship will pick it up (make sure you have enough room in your bay). You can keep or sell anything you find.

Just like everything, you can automate this process later on and even set up ships to "clean" areas after battles.

LAMBO

Bought the x3 pack when it was on sale. Put way over 100 hours into Reunion, great game but i need a break from it. I wonder if I'll continue my x3 reunion game or jump into Terran conflict when i come back.

Hazaro said:

I really didn't like the Terran start very much at all-I stopped after a bit myself on my first playthrough of X3:TC and went for the Argon trader start and had a much better time. You'll do the Terran missions later on anyway, so you'll still see the story.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I forgot to mention that I bonked into the trainer guy's ship around 12 times because I was bored then died :lol (Didn't save)

I'll speed up the time "j"? and run this again.

Picked this up because of the steam sale ($10!) and I'm hooked. If EVE is freelancer on steroids with an added dose of MMO and boring (sorry EVE fans, I played for a few months and see the appeal, but it didn't really catch), X3:TC is EVE minus the MMO and the boring. Certainly pretty slow paced, but I can see the possibilities and the more direct trading and management is appealing.

Dani said:
Yep. Ignore the tutorial. It's useless. Go to a a few stations and look for some Very Easy or Easy missions, preferably missions involving killing pirates.

I wouldn't say this at all. There's quite a few things in the tutorial that I wouldn't have picked up on otherwise short of reading the manual, which isn't entirely out of the question but I'd rather not.

KongRudi

Banned
Starting to get the X-itch now..
Maybe take a break from Dragon Age loadscreens soon.

I love the franchise, think I've played most X2, played it every day for over a month, but have also put in 200 hours in Terran Conflict so far tough..

KongRudi

Banned
Zenith said:
I played X3: Reunion.

It was awful, and I am sooooooo desperate for a space game. The terrible interface with so many redundant layers in it. I know the focus is on trade but it's such a slow plodding game. Even with mods and "rewarding" myself with 200,000 credits every time I completed a mission (it's either that or spend months stealing ships to raise enough cash for 1 corvette) it just wasn't fun. Even creating the equivalent of a "skirmish mode" by spawning a fleet and warping it in to an enemy sector wasn't fun. Not enough resources were put into combat to make it feel good. The controls just feel off and you can't feel any feedback from your weapons hitting the enemy.

and it's such a shame as the ships have such good art design, even if the alien races that pilot them don't.

You usually start out with a really crappy ship, with few upgrades.

It's a slow game in the start, as soon as you've made a million credit and can afford a jump-drive, the game will be a different beast after that.

The interface and the combat controls in 'X3 - Terran Conflict' is better than Reunion, but probably not for everyone. :-/
In X2 I didn't manage to steer for myself, had to buy a few combat-upgrades so I could survive fights, fired my lasers with mouse, and then turned on the autopilot, to steer towards the enemies..
It were horrible, but I managed, until I could afford the big ships with the big missiles, etc.

X3 Reunion it were abit better, here I could actually control my own ship, it became good in Terran Conflict, here I suck with missiles tough, and are good with lasers.

Terran Defender is a good start for plot-mission, here you get a tiny combat-fighter, and gradually get's better ships.
They can only use Terran weapons, but they're laser-weapons are pretty good.
Terran Space suck abit tough, so get out to the other races asap.

In fighting, there are three different laser firing-configurations now, for aiding you now, I think you change with the K button on your keyboard, if I recall correct.
You can set the boresight Automatic, semi-automatic or off for target-solution.
One of them ought to suit you.

The thing about X3 is that you increase in fight-level, trade-level and similar.
You can also buy your own space-stations if fighting isn't your thing, and earn money that way.

The mod with 200k for each of your missions might sound great if you're playing for 30 minutes, after that it's not much. :-/
Do a few space-station defend-missions and your race-relation will increase.

I allways play vanilla-game (unmodded), If I run a patrol mission, over 3 sectors, I might be informed that I will gain 2-4 million credits for the mission.
If I have a police license, and a destroyer or carrier jumps in and i kill it, it's a extra half million credits.
So earning 8 million on a 20 minute mission, isn't that hard now.

Also for your corvette-problem, you don't have to return ships, even tough you say so. When people asks you to bring back a ship for them.
You'd be amazed at what people leaves abandoned, and ask you to return. Especially when they won't tell you what kind of ship you're going to pick up.. :p

Sure, you'll get a police-force after you, whenever you don't return it on time.
But if you're not strong enough to fight it off, you can perhaps transfer a jump-drive and jump to the other side of the universe, and work at that side for a while.
And the poor police task-force will most likely try to cross a Xenon-sector or something like that, and never be seen again. :)

KongRudi

Banned
Hazaro said:

When you have the green circular target, you've just asked for permission to dock, and been granted docking permission.
If you want to dock manually you need to fly into the green thing, and stop your ship.

What most people do is to select the station you want to dock with, and start the autopilot, and speed up time, until you are docked.

In order to speed up time, your ship must have a working space engine time accelerator engine (SETI drive) installed, you can then press the J button on your keyboard to speed up time. Most ships come with it installed, but it can be damaged.
It might be smart to go to option and set it to 1000%, since that is abit faster than the standard setting.

You can also find Docking-computers for your ship in Space Equipement Docks belonging to the Boron race, then you need to be less than 4km from target station, and you can dock instantly by clicking Shift+D.

EDIT: Oh.. I'm responding in a really old thread..
Guess you guys figured it out now.. :p

dionysus

Yaldog
Alright, I am a little daunted by all the options, maybe Frag or someone can help me out with these issues.

1) A list of must have scripts/mods. Also, the proper method of installing them. I am getting errors now from one of my scripts at game start up.

2) First fighter one should purchase and the major types of upgrades that are necessary (level of shielding, etc.) assuming the trader start.

3) First type of station one should purchase and how much capital one needs in the bank to pay for all the incidentals that will arrise in trying to place and get that station up and running. Necessary scripts for station management.

Any recommendations on detailed guides that could walk me through the first 25 hours or so of the game till I learn all the systems.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed, I guess it is because I normally don't play hardcore sim games.

I've totally got the hang of flying around in a trading vessel and selling shit though, so at least I have made some progress on my own.

Top Bottom