• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Swery's The Good Life the main character turns into a cat/dog during her period.

The Fig campaign page for Swery's The Good Life was recently updated with a new Q & A.

Q. Does this game have a story?

A. Yes, it does.

Naomi, the main character, is a photographer from New York who has a massive debt. In order to pay off that debt, she undertook a special job from a large newspaper company, which sent her to a rural town in England to uncover the secret of Rainy Woods, the "happiest town in the world."

But as she begins her new life there, Naomi is quickly drawn into a murder mystery. While the player pays off their debt, they'll also be able to uncover the town's secrets and the truth about the murder.

Q. What is the game's biggest draw?

A. When night falls in this game, all of the townspeople turn into cats or dogs.

The player can also turn into a cat or a dog for one week each month (during your period) and explore the town at night. These parts will feature a completely new and fun style of gameplay.
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/the-good-life?update=486#updates

Brings to mind Swery's desire for the following over two years ago:

Aside from that, I’m also working on a story about a high school girl detective who uses the imagination (fantasising) energy from masturbating to help her solve murders. But all the publishers keep telling me ‘There’s no way we could put out such a perverted game!’ LOL!

I wish someone would let me make it.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1044787

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lol, better an original excuse for a game mechanic than a lame one i guess.

About the other game i don't even want to imagine the gameplay during those imagination moments lol.

1upsuper

I don't...

Aside from that, I’m also working on a story about a high school girl detective who uses the imagination (fantasising) energy from masturbating to help her solve murders. But all the publishers keep telling me ‘There’s no way we could put out such a perverted game!’ LOL!

WHAT

hotcyder

Swery, have you ever heard of a website called 'Paetron'?

sandpiper

Hasn't he been talking about making that crime masturbation game for years now, not just that old interview? He must really want to make it.

PSqueak

Banned
hmmm, i wonder why he decided to throw dogs into the mix.

Neither of those are stories that I feel comfortable being written by a cis dude....

I understand this feeling for the ridiculous highschool girl detective one, but may i ask what's wrong with the good life been written by a dude when the main character is supposed to be an "everyperson" kind of character?

Nevermind, i misread the quote, i thought it said "For a period [of time]" not "during your period", yikes!

Blu(e)

Updated visual look nice. Real sad that this probably isn't going to make it.

Hope Swery has a back up plan because this is too cool looking to die here.

hughesta

Banned
It's such a bummer that this game seems to be missing its goal, I really want to play it and Swery deserves to make games.

kliklik

Banned
Playing as a cat in Murdered Soul Suspect was fun, and so was playing as Toby the dog in the Sherlock Holmes games. Playing as animals seems to work out in murder mysteries. So... I guess this is good news?

Q. What is the game's biggest draw?

A. When night falls in this game, all of the townspeople turn into cats or dogs.

The player can also turn into a cat or a dog for one week each month (during your period) and explore the town at night. These parts will feature a completely new and fun style of gameplay.

Well everyone in the town turns into animals at night. The main character moves into town and apparently can only do it one week a month.

I backed the game and I apparently missed this. I thought she could as the other residents.
Too bad about the campaign.

Naomi, the main character, is a photographer from New York who has a massive debt. In order to pay off that debt, she undertook a special job from a large newspaper company, which sent her to a rural town in England to uncover the secret of Rainy Woods, the "happiest town in the world."

But as she begins her new life there, Naomi is quickly drawn into a murder mystery. While the player pays off their debt, they'll also be able to uncover the town's secrets and the truth about the murder.

I love hot fuzz.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
217526016_JgyoA-2100x20000.jpg

Kazuhira

I thought the trailer said that every person in the town turns into a cat/dog during the night,did they decide to change that?

I thought the trailer said that every person in the town turns into a cat/dog during the night,did they decide to change that?

The protagonist is not from the town, she's an outsider.

Everyone please save Swery's game. If you back it and then tweet Swery, he'll send you a hug.

kliklik

Banned
It could just be that Swery intends to simulate life. In Deadly Premonition, you had to shave your face and change your clothes. So he might be thinking, best not to get into simulating changing feminine hygiene products so you'll just be a cat during that time.

What I'm saying is, the period aspect might not really be an important factor. It could just be an attempt to avoid simulating her personal care during that time.

thumb

Banned
The dog version of the game means she turns into a literal bitch during her period. That's...not that choice I would have made. Swery goes for some absurd stuff, so I'm willing to see how everything feels in the greater context of the game. If it gets made, that is.

Top Bottom