• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the event that PS5 Pro does release in 2024 but there is no new Xbox Series console because there is already Series S & X

Vognerful

If it gets announced, are consoles still an affordable and convenient option when you have to buy new one every few years?

If they're doing Pro's they're both doing Pros

SilverLiquidCuscus-max-1mb.gif

As much as each party will have NDAs with AMD, they're not perfect and work with a lot of the same teams and people, they're going to know that the other is launching a mid gen refresh at least.
Thank you m'lord.

Banjo64

cumsessed
If it gets announced, are consoles still an affordable and convenient option when you have to buy new one every few years?
? You don’t have to though. I swapped my PS4 Slim for a Pro, something I have minor regret over. The PS5 will still be a great console.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
so when the eventual ps5 pro does launch, everyone on this forum will be claiming the ps5 non pro is holding the generation back, right? RIGHT?
Holding the full potential of the Pro back, yes. The gen for Sony is established in the PS5.

Last edited:

Crayon

This is very unlikeley. They both have to be developing them to some extent even if they aren't sure they are going to go into production and release. I could see ms doing a year later and a hundred more like with the one x but I'm not sure that will get you a ton of return on the screen. They rhetorical value of terraflops has been greatly diminished over the last few years and is only going to land with the hardest of core who already have a series x anyway so it's kind of getting into a mess just to keep up with the joneses.

Stafford

If there is a Ps5 Pro, there is also 100% Xbox Pro something. Both know exactly what the other is building and plan accordingly.

So Spencer was basically keeping stuff close to the chest when he said what he said, recently?

I sure hope so, because I really want to keep buying multiplatform games for Xbox, it's my main and have PS5 as the console for its exclusives only. But if we get a scenario where gta 6 releases and it's significantly better on this PS5 Pro than XSX and I have both, it's gonna be hard to justify buying it for XSX.

Spencer made it clear at the start of this generation MS would not lose on the power and price game anymore, but the former would not be true then. Hope you're right.

If they can price reduce that much than the XSS is only $199. :messenger_tears_of_joy: At the end of the day, the XSS is always going to be cheaper to produce than the base PS5 (smaller chip, less memory both ram and SSD, cheaper cooling, smaller and lighter package, etc.), that is never being equalized.

I don't think the PS5 will hit $299 for some time yet though.
Yeah $300 is impossible. It will still beat 1TB XS at $349.

Spyxos

So Spencer was basically keeping stuff close to the chest when he said what he said, recently?

I sure hope so, because I really want to keep buying multiplatform games for Xbox, it's my main and have PS5 as the console for its exclusives only. But if we get a scenario where gta 6 releases and it's significantly better on this PS5 Pro than XSX and I have both, it's gonna be hard to justify buying it for XSX.

Spencer made it clear at the start of this generation MS would not lose on the power and price game anymore, but the former would not be true then. Hope you're right.
If a Ps5 Pro is really coming and not an Xbox Pro, I was completely wrong. I can not imagine this at the moment at all, but who knows.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
If they're doing Pro's they're both doing Pros
I see this 'tit for tat' assumption a lot, and sure - it's possible, but is it justified?
Last gen both had very different reasons that ran orthogonal to each other (ie. the new machines weren't even competing with each other outside of Digital Foundry's ecosystem).
And more importantly - both of them combined amounted to like - less than 10% of the overall marketshare. Sure - that may have been the more valuable users by amount they spend - but could we really say either upgrade had any meaningful impact on the market overall? (not the bottomline of the platform holders - I'm sure they were happy with the improved ASRP).

Basically - I'm questioning that even on the back of very meaningful reasons for the upgrades (4k, VR, chasing the power users, chasing the power narrative, branding wars etc.) the impact was - well kind of irrelevant at large. And this gen - many of those reasons aren't even there anymore or are significantly diminished in impact - the only reason to release a mid-gen upgrade directly as response to competitor doing it is FOMO - and I'm not sure if these businesses are 'that' panicky (but maybe they are - I dunno).

Skifi28

"We have a platform for that called windows"

I'm not sure why Microsoft would even bother at this point, they just want you to subscribe to gamepass. I'm surprised they haven't discontinued the X yet.

Bigfroth

Think Phil said no pro for Xbox in an interview. I believe Series S is the standard model and the X is the pro model they just released both at the same time. I don't think there will be a PS5 pro either this generation has been dragged down by COVID and low supply.

onQ123

It 100% is. And I have ZERO clue what MS is doing any of this!

My guess is that they messed up on manufacturing cost while Sony bit the bullet with the design of PS5 in the beginning but actually got the price down ( Mostly the storage solution )

It's really possible that PS5 V2 & PS5 Pro will end up going head to head with Xbox Series S & Xbox Series X .

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Competition tends to drive the market, if ms, Sony, or Nintendo release a 25Tf machine the others will have to react. (OK maybe not Nintendo, but you bet if Nintendo shocked the world with a monster sony and xbox eould have to do something sooner rather than later).

Kataploom

Gold Member
I am all in on a PS5 Pro for one game Hell Let Loose

Its starts to really bog down on some maps and I am not about to start over on PC and lose all my progress so yes I am begging for a PS5 Pro

The Princess Bride Please GIF
Well, this time around people can expect to avoid a Bloodborne situation since most PS5 games have an unlocked frame rate mode

HTK

Banned
Yes, because you don't need to upgrade. You're still in the same generation and will get support through the end of that generation for the base PS5.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
My guess is that they messed up on manufacturing cost while Sony bit the bullet with the design of PS5 in the beginning but actually got the price down ( Mostly the storage solution )

It's really possible that PS5 V2 & PS5 Pro will end up going head to head with Xbox Series S & Xbox Series X .

There's zero chance MS would be able to win in that battle. Because Sony will obviously drop the price of the PS5 V2 by the time the PS5 Pro hits the market for $500. I can see the PS5 V2 costing $300 by the end of 2024.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

PS5 with complete backwards compatibility and integrate the catalog of the old ps store to actually buy PS2 and PSone Classic and PS3 titles -if not- Sony could Fxxk off.

So -to me- 99% possibility that Sony will fxxk off with this new PS5 pro.

Zug

I'll probably grab a PS5 pro down the line so I can ditch my PS4 and get the few PS5 exclusives of this gen.
But as a PS4 pro owner, it was not really worth it over the standard PS4, the hardware was there but there were few "pro" patches overall. Consoles being standardized hardware by definition, it's easily understandable why developpers find it annoying to support multiple versions.

People don't realize how much money Microsoft really has. They can easily counter with a new SKU as needed, it won't matter if they lose a few billion or not. They did it with Xbox One X and the Series X and they will do it again with something else. It's really not an issue for them. Also, you'd be very dumb to think that MS is not doing any kind of R&D behind the scenes already, I am 100% confident they already have stuff in the works for both a new more powerful SKU and the next-gen platform. It's really not a brainer.

Last edited:

onQ123

People don't realize how much money Microsoft really has. They can easily counter with a new SKU as needed, it won't matter if they lose a few billion or not. They did it with Xbox One X and the Series X and they will do it again with something else. It's really not an issue for them. Also, you'd be very dumb to think that MS is not doing any kind of R&D behind the scenes already, I am 100% confident they already have stuff in the works for both a new more powerful SKU and the next-gen platform. It's really not a brainer.

So you're going to ignore what Microsoft said?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So you're going to ignore what Microsoft said?

Do you honestly think a major company is going to come out and just say "Oh there are rumors of a comptetior making a new version high end version? Don't worry, we might have something cooking too!"

Lol. That's not how this works. They will market and time it as needed. Obviously there is no need now for a new console upgrade. When a competitor releases theirs, then the time will be around the corner. I never understood why people always take everything to heart what any company says. Everyone manipulates and says things they need to say to controll a narrative. It really isn't that hard to figure out.

Last edited:

onQ123

Do you honestly think a major company is going to come out and just say "Oh there are rumors of a comptetior making a new version high end version? Don't worry, we might have something cooking too!"

Lol. That's not how this works. They will market and time it as needed. Obviously there is no need now for a new console upgrade. When a competitor releases theirs, then the time will be around the corner. I never understood why people always take everything to heart what any company says. Everyone manipulates and says things they need to say to controll a narrative. It really isn't that hard to figure out.

What? They announced Project Scorpio over a year in advance while PS4 Pro was just rumors & leaks this time they said they are focusing on the consoles they have now.

Why should they make a THIRD console?

They are not even selling the two they already have...... :LOL:

Xbox brand is dead, there's no demand....

Last edited:
What? They announced Project Scorpio over a year in advance while PS4 Pro was just rumors & leaks this time they said they are focusing on the consoles they have now.

That was then, I am not sure why you are brining up the past. And i am not sure what you are trying to prove here. You are missing the point I am trying to make my friend.

Company won't blatantly just come out and announce a new SKU when it isn't needed. Also, the case with Xbox One X was far different. Xbox One was actually a lesser powerful machine than the PS4 was. Microsoft was playing catch up that entire generation, so they had to announce something new and more powerful than their competitor whether there were rumors or not.

This generation, both consoles are pretty much at par as far as power goes, with Series X slightly tiny bit more powerful on the GPU side of things, but not by much. The Xbox One had a lot of issues running current gen games at the time at good resolutions.

None of either consoles even had their full potential tapped yet. We barely just got out of the crossgen cycle. Gotta be a bit more patient.

onQ123

That was then, I am not sure why you are brining up the past. And i am not sure what you are trying to prove here. You are missing the point I am trying to make my friend.

Company won't blatantly just come out and announce a new SKU when it isn't needed. Also, the case with Xbox One X was far different. Xbox One was actually a lesser powerful machine than the PS4 was. Microsoft was playing catch up that entire generation, so they had to announce something new and more powerful than their competitor whether there were rumors or not.

This generation, both consoles are pretty much at par as far as power goes, with Series X slightly tiny bit more powerful on the GPU side of things, but not by much. The Xbox One had a lot of issues running current gen games at the time at good resolutions.

None of either consoles even had their full potential tapped yet. We barely just got out of the crossgen cycle. Gotta be a bit more patient.

And what do you think they are doing now?

bitbydeath

I've watched the clip 3 times and they're not saying that at all whatsoever?
I think the below image shows for a strong push to try get more people to move over to PC, all it’s missing is a green outline around the PC section. But that pricing is clearly favouring PC.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F1a7a635f-2850-4945-beee-2bb5010002ba_1200x673.jpeg

Reactions: GHG
It's being reported that Sony started creation of the pro in the beginning of 2022 for a fall 2024 release so there's nothing stopping Microsoft from creating an elite model at the start of 2023 with a 2025 release date but if it can't release until 2026 then it wouldn't make sense to release it so late in the generation

Top Bottom